Is it a bad thing that we celebrate Violance?

Chrisjeffers

Occasional Pre-Show
I was watching this documentry on professional wrestling... They made a point of this.... Every civilization before its fall celibrated Violance....
The documentry asked if it was a sign of civil decay to cheer on violance....

Boxing has been around for how long? Wrestling has had more blood shed then CSI.... And UFC? my god!

Is there something wrong with us?

My opinion....
I only like wrestling of the 3..... And I know that they are not really trying to hurt eachother for our entertainment..... Its more like an action flick....

Thats what helps me sleep at night!

We're not celebrating violence at all. Exactly the same principles could be argued in regards to TV shows with fighting, or action films where people are killed. None of this is real, and all we're doing is finding entertainment in something that was made for our entertainment. When we start getting excited about people being killed outside our front doors, then we have a problem. But enjoying actors putting on a show for us is fine, and something we should do.

Wrestling is not celebrating violence. That's just ridiculous. It is predetermined and, for the most part, scripted. Someone getting hit over the head with a steel chair in a wrestling ring is not the same thing as someone getting hit over the head in a bar fight. Just like a linebacker putting a huge hit on a running back is not the same as a guy tackling someone on a street corner.

Wrestling is entertainment. Hell, the WWE even throws in the "don't try this at home" warnings all the time. Certainly the wrestling business has done their part to let the people know that what occurs in a wrestling ring is done by trained professionals. It's no different that watching a movie, a football game or a boxing match. It all takes place in controlled environments solely for the purpose of entertainment.

If we was celebrating violence, then half of the world would go & beat people up for no apparant reason.

Anyways wrestling now days is a form of entertainment as the results are pre determined & the storylines & matches are scripted down to a tee. The WWE on many, many, many occasions have thrown in the "Don't Try This Stuff At Home" warnings. Wrestling is mostly held in a controlled environment as where if a fan gets out of line, then a security guard or cop will handle the rowdy fan & remove him from the premisis. Basically to sum all this up, watching wrestling is no different than watching sports & movies.

First off, was I the only one who broke out into laughter at the title of this thread and the fact that violence was spelled wrong?

Being a wrestling fan however is no different from being a fan of violent action movies or video games for that matter, it's all just another form of entertainment. Humanity has found entertainment in violence since the days of the Romans (and I'm sure before). It's a visual stimulant, much in the same way sex and nudity is.

At it's heart, wrestling is simply an art form, like a television show or film. Wrestling isn't a celebration of violence, it's a celebration of the American dream--- glory and fame. Let's face it, that after all is the real American dream, not those silly rights and opportunities.

The Romans celebrated violence when they gathered by the thousands in the Roman Colliseum to see gladiators cut each other apart. Not only that, but if the gladiator refused to kill his fallen enemy, the audience jeered him until he did. If he still refused, there were no promises that the Emperor wouldn't have him put in an impossible to win situation, just to show that you do what the Roman people and Emperor tell you to do.

When we cheer someone being thrown through a table, or someone having his face cut open with the steel steps, we're cheering the story. We're cheering the play that the wrestlers are putting on. When Jeff Hardy mounts the turnbuckle for the Swanton, we're not cheering the fact that the other dude is about to be hurt. We're cheering that Jeff is about to win, that the Face is about to go over the Heel. Wrestling isn't celebrating violence, it's celebrating Good triumphing over Evil. Wrestling 101 right there.

The major difference here is simulated vs. real violence. The simulated violence of CSI and Wrestling and Action Movies are incredibly different when juxtaposed against the Gladiator Battles of Roman times. Gladiator battles showed one man driving a sword through another man, with that other man literally dying. Not being hit with a fake chair shot that doesn't hurt him at all, not a dive through flaming tables that doesn't cause the wrestler to be killed/seriously hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back