Is Charisma the key to superstardom?

Tha Wolfpac

Hey Yo...
Hey Yo!

Now i look at wrestling today and the single thing the superstars of today lack the most im talking in WWE and TNA is charisma. I Look back at people that had charisma anfd there all legends and icons that changed the wrestling biz to what it is today, im talking about people like Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock and surprisingly even John Cena now these guys different in many ways but they all had one thing and that was charisma.
So people sound off and tell me is charisma the major element of succes in the wrestling biz?
.Tha Wolfpac.

Reactions: Lee
Yes, and no.

You can't have all the wrestling skill in the world, and not have any charisma. It just doesn't work in the end. I think one of the best technical wrestlers ever, Dean Malenko "The man of 1000 holds" proves this theory. He literally could have a wrestling match with the greatest of the greats, but all in all he has zero charisma. You see where his career has landed him? Released after a short run with the WWE, and teaching people how to wrestle.

Whereas a wrestler with just charisma, and no skills. Is highly unlikely to ever go anywhere throughout his career. I think the best choice of wrestlers to use as an example is none other than a Diva. Maria Kanellis. Now, I didn't like her in any manner whatsoever. I thought she was ugly, couldn't wrestle, and couldn't entertain me one bit. But the fans ate her up, because she had charisma. Well, we all see where the left her, don't we? Released.

So, with all the wrestling skills in the world and no charisma vs all the charisma with no wrestling skills. Both lead down the long road to "Good luck with your career, here's your pink slip"

If you've only got one attribute and you want to succeed in wrestling, charisma should be it. There's nobody at all in the panthenon of greats that didn't have it, but lord knows there's people in there that had nothing else. Ultimately, wrestling is fake and everyone knows it, and the only thing that will make anyone go and watch it is those that can grab the audience's attention. In short, who would you prefer to build a company around a man like Matt Hardy or one like Jeff Hardy, because the only difference between them is charisma, and it's why one of them sells loads of merchandise and is uber popular, and the reason the other one is suspended in the midcard eternally.

I'd say that charisma is the most important attribute of a star in the wrestling business. Without it, you're boring. No matter how talented you are in the ring. Wrestlers need to make the fans care about their character, thus they will care more about their matches as well. However, I wouldn't say that it's the key to superstardom because the wrestler needs SOME in-ring ability as well. Someone could be the greatest mic worker and has so much charisma that even those up in the nosebleeds get an andrenaline rush from watching their promos.... but if that same person has no in-ring ability, there goes their credibility. So, while charisma is VERY important.... it takes some of both charisma and in-ring ability in order to succeed in the end.

it's an interesting one. It varies from promotion to promotion though. Take Vince McMahon for example. his (apparent) theory is you either look the part or don't. Someone like Christian for example happens to have bags of charisma but no major push (yet) because Vince doesn't think he looks like a World Champion. Then there's someone like Sheamus who doesn't have as much charisma as Christian but was WWE Champion in 166 days. Vince has always favoured guys with muscular looks or big looks (Yokozuna wasn't muscular but did win the WWF Title twice same goes for Show and others). One reason he went with Punk & hardy trading the belt in the summer of last year was because he thought about it and said yeah these guys aren't huge (Muscle wise) but they do have bags of potentiel and charisma and can get over with the crowd. So although it helps, it certainly isn't the only factor.

The most important thing in getting wrestling stardom is being able to tell a damn good story. Having Charisma helps with that, but the main essential in being at the top is being able to tell the oldest story in history.

That story is the classic good vs. evil. John Cena and Randy Orton have played this story to the T, and right now, so are Batista and Cena. The fact that you (a common fan) just want to see the fight between Cena and Batista is just one where you just know it's going to be the good guy succeeding.

The best wrestlers in WWE were the ones who could draw you in by telling you a compelling story. HBK & Bret Hart was so great because it had story to it. HBK vs. Taker at Mania is so great because of the story behind it.

Charisma helps, but even all the charisma in the world can't help you if you can't tell a story. Case and point, Evan Bourne.

Charisma is the key to success, but it can't get you there alone. If that was the case then Santino would be the most popular wrestler in the world right now. You've got have the athletic ability, good stories, and the right booking to back it up.

theres a simple answer to this question... look at the biggest star ever in wrestling hulk hogan hes slow walks around th ring flexing and pointing and he punches kicks reast hold power slamleg drop its that simple but he has all the charismain the world and can cut oneof the best promosiveever seen alot ofppl say the same about dusty rhodes(i like the way he wrestles) some people say it about stone cold steve austin and lex luger all big dudes who just use there strength to throw opponents around so to answer your question yes charisma is the key

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back