• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Iron Maiden: Popular Because Of A Mascot?

Y 2 Jake

Slightly Autistic
bestofrl9.jpg

For mascot see above. I like them. But most of the songs are very similar. Most of the songs are overlong. The best thing about them is probably their live shows and they have intersting album covers. It's a gimmick and it pays off, not many bands, certainly not any that I can think of off the top of my head, use the same character on every album cover. Most bands don't even have themselves on every cover.

I'd do a poll if this thread was anything other than something do do because I'm bored.

Well of course Maiden are probably THE most successful classic heavy metal band in the world today - I'm not counting Metallica here, cause Metallica have changed/adapted their style throughout their career, whereas the Maiden sound has remained the same basically from the beginning - whether this is a bad thing or a good thing definitely lies in the eye of the beholder.

I guess for most of the die hard Maiden fans, they just wouldn't want to sound "their" band in any way different than what they are used to from their early stuff. But I agree - many of the songs sound really very much alike; the main reason for this I guess is because Steve Harris writes about 90% of the songs, and has been doing so ever since the band came into being.

But you gotta give Maiden more credit than their mascot Eddie, in any case - simply by putting out "The Number Of The Beast", they released an album that not only influenced a whole generation, but an entire genre - everything that is Power Metal today ultimately goes back in some form or another to that album. And of course they also had some other great records and songs back in those days. And even if the song structures have become a little predictable over time - well, that is the case with many bands, I guess it just shows more with Maiden since they've got such a characteristic sound and songwriting, and since they've released so many albums over the course of the years.

But I agree with you - Maiden live are just awesome, I've seen them twice thus far (first time back in 2003 on the "Give me Ed..." Tour, and last year at Wacken), and both shows were awesome. But really - Eddie is just the icing on the cake; the status Maiden achieved especially with their early works is definitely earned, and besides - they've now released some quite decent albums again as well since Bruce Dickinson's return to the band... so considering that Maiden are still alive after so many years, still putting out pretty good records while having always maintained their style - I guess I'd consider it more of a "pro" for Maiden instead of a "contra", heh.

I wouldn't neccesarily say the Maiden are popular only because of Eddie, although he does give a great boost. I think the main source of their popularity is the overall structure of their songs. From Bruce's voice, to the music itself, is almost impeccable. As a previous poster stated, Eddie's appearances on stage (5 for me) are just the icing on top, the cherry, the shot of whiskey chasing a beer, however you wanna put it.

(I admit, however, that alot of their material is very similar)

I'm going to attribute their new found popularity to the fact that 'Number of the Beast' was featured on Guitar Hero 3 so there would be a lot of young people playing Guitar Hero who will hear Iron Maiden who will then go and discover them, buy the records, the shirts, go to concerts etc.

I haven't seen them live in person but from what I've seen on YouTube they do seem to have an amazing on stage presence and command everyone's full attention when up there, I'd like to see them live one day, I should have gone last year although yes, as stated above, their material can sound similar which can be good and bad at the same time. Good because I hate it when bands change their sounds but bad because I think I'd get annoyed at bands releasing similar stuff after a while.

Eddie completely kicks ass. He's probably the most recognizeable image in music. I think some people may be familiar with Iron Maiden because of Eddie, but I don't think any of their success is a result of him. Maiden is always listed as an influence by rock/metal bands because their music kicks even more ass. A bands doesn't stick around for 30 years if their music is subpar. Maiden has been selling records and concert tickets since before I was born. Great mascot. Great music. Great band.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back