Invite 3 Athletes To Dinner

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
This may have done before, but not since I've been posting. The idea is simple. You have a chance to invite 3 of your favorite athletes over for dinner. Who would they be? And, why? Use any criteria you want, just make sure not to spam.

I'm going to go with one from each sport...

From baseball, I'd invite my favorite player of all time, Keith Hernandez. While most fans outside of NY may most remember him for his issues off the field, I remember him for being the best first basemen of his era. Yes, better than Don Mattingly, and certainly better than Buckner ;). He has more gold gloves than any player at his position in history, and was a great hitter. For his time, he was a power hitter, but also hit for average, and was one of the rare lefties to hit to all fields. Not only would we be able to talk about anything involving baseball, but his off-field stuff would make for interesting conversation, as well as the stories about the 1986 season.

From hockey, I'd go with the Messiah, opps, I mean Mark Messier. Not only is he the greatest Ranger ever, but he's one of the greatest hockey players ever. Being one of the greatest leaders on the ice to ever play the game, he'd be the most interesting person I can think of for conversation. I'd also have a million things I'd want to know about his run in Edmonton, his views on the 1994 season, the strike, and his trade to Vancouver.

From football, I'd have to go with Lawrence Taylor. Like Hernandez, he's probably best known for his off the field problems, but would have an endless supply of things to talk about. There's the 2 Super Bowl rings, having his number retired, and his time spent in Hollywood.

I'll go with 3 different sports as well.

My first would be from football. That would have to be Randy Moss. I'm a huge fan of his and have followed his whole career and believe he would be an awesome person to meet. I also believe he is the best wide receiver currently in the NFL.

The second would be from Baseball. This would be David Ortiz. Meeting the DH from my favorite baseball team The Red Sox would be great. I love watching big Papi play and meeting him would be awesome.

The third would be UFC. I would invite the Iceman Chuck Liddell. Iceman is one of my favorite fighters and part of the reason I choose the name I did. He is very good at what he does.

I'll go with 3 different sports as well.

My first would be from football. That would have to be Randy Moss. I'm a huge fan of his and have followed his whole career and believe he would be an awesome person to meet. I also believe he is the best wide receiver currently in the NFL.

The second would be from Baseball. This would be David Ortiz. Meeting the DH from my favorite baseball team The Red Sox would be great. I love watching big Papi play and meeting him would be awesome.

The third would be UFC. I would invite the Iceman Chuck Liddell. Iceman is one of my favorite fighters and part of the reason I choose the name I did. He is very good at what he does.

Good luck with putting Moss and Lidell in the same room :lmao:

I'm pretty sure Randy's cockiness would get him punched in the face, and then you have a food fight on your hands. Ortiz, being Big Papi, would get pissed, and kick everyone's ass before eating all the food.

Should be an interesting dinner :lmao:

Chris Webber. Without a doubt my favorite sports figure of all time. The guy could just do it all on the basketball court. He was just so graceful, yet powerful. And he could do anything a point guard could do, but also still knew how to play like a dominate big man when the situation called for it. In his prime, there was no one who could guard this man. And even when he wasn't in his prime, when he basically just played with one leg, he was still a 20-10 guy. That's how great he was. And as a person, he couldn't be more awesome. I actually met him once in 2002, but that was very short and brief. To have dinner with him would be great.

Aaron Brooks. I'm talking about the football player here, not the basketball player. Brooks is by far my favorite New Orleans Saint of all time. I remember when Jeff Blake signed with the Saints in 1999, I was so, so excited. And when he went down, I couldn't have been more upset, but Aaron Brooks stepped in and took my heart forever, lol. He was truly phenomenal. He could run, had a missile like arm, and was probably the most clutch quarterback in the game during his streak. He had more 4th comebacks than ANYONE in the league during his 5 year run. The dude got a raw deal at the end, but if I ever got the chance, I would love to tell him how awesome he was and how he'll always be my favorite football player of all time.

Tito Ortiz. Like 1C3-M4N, I had to go with a MMArtist as my third pick, but it's with one of Chuck Liddell's rivals... Tito Ortiz. This man is the reason I became as big of a fan of the sport as I have. He's just so damn entertaining, both inside the cage and out. Brash, confident, great talker and can kick fucking ass... he's everything you want in a Mixed Martial Artist. And plus, behind the cockiness and cage fighter, there's a really good dude underneath it all who does a lot for the less fortunate and for animals as well. It'd be a true honor to have him at the table.

Chris Webber

Interesting choice. I'll agree he was a great player, but I figured he lost all his fans after that miscue in the tourney. He was a great player, and was very under-rated during his career. After his time in Golden State, I'm pretty sure he wasn't noticed again until Sacramento. Hey...You don't live in SoCal do you??

Aaron Brooks

Another interesting choice. I'm sure he'd be great for convo, especially after spending time as Favre's back-up, and going through everything he did in New Orleans. While I'm not as big a fan of his play, I'll admit that he was pretty good when given the chance.

Tito Ortiz

I'm not sure if dating Jenna ruined his career, or if dating Tito ruined her's. He isn't nearly as big of a name any more, and neither is she. I'm sure he'd be great to have for dinner, as long as he isn't complaining that what you're serving is bad for his career.

I'd also want to go with three different sports, but I'd have to take a few things into consideration. I'd want some guy who has a lot of stories from the road and lots of knowledge and insight to the game, but I'd also want someone who's funny and entertaining.

1) Ken Daneyko- Scott Steven's may be the best Devils (or overall) defenseman of all time, but Daneyko also bleeds red and black. Mr. Devil was on the team for all three cups, and while he was never much of a scoring defenseman, he contributed by being a tough, gritty competitor. He also racked up over 2000 career PIM so he must have about hundred's of stories about dirty hits he had to make and fights he got in. Finally, I know for the fact he's a great story teller, I was at the ceremony where they retired his number, and during his speech he talked about how he was drafted to the Devil's, and it was funny and touching, it was great. I would love to have him for dinner.

2) Mike Piazza- Once again I'm bringing in a guy who played for my favorite team when there are probably some other choices out there, but you really can't go wrong with Mikey Piazza. One thing I always admired about Piazza was not just his home run hitting ability, but how he absolutely crushed the ball, he's gotta have a few stories about 500 foot homers or other monster shots. I'd also tell him he should bring his playboy model wife to dinner, which is just another bonus.

3) Lawrence Taylor- I'm going to steal NSL's choice here because it's a damn good one. He is the best linebacker of all time, and quite possibly the best defensive player of all time. He may have had his problems, but it was the 80's, everyone was doing drugs. He's got two championship rings himself, so he must have some great playoff stories, and he also has had a lot of fun after his football career. I've never watched dancing with the stars, but he was on that, and let's not forget he appeared at Wrestlemania 11. He's had a lot of life experiences, and he seems like he'd be a fun guy to have at dinner.

1) Mitch Williams - Mitch was always my favorite player from the team I root for, the Phillies. He seems like he'd be a guy guy to drink beer with and tell stories from that 93 World Series team. The unedited stories that you don't hear about on tv.

2) Rickey Henderson - Whenever I see him on tv he makes me laugh. The most arrogant baseball player ever, but he could back it up(Today, I am the greatest of all time, he actually said this after breaking the stolen base record, who else does this?). 130 steals in a season!!! It would take the league leader 2 years to do that now.

3) Charles Barkley - I'm not the biggest basketball fan, but he likes to drink and gamble, and what's not to like about that. Plus you never know what's going to come out of his mouth. If I went out with these 3 for dinner we all might end up in jail.

Jeremy Shockey - Ok, I'm doing the girl thing here- he is smokin' hot and I would be completely happy just staring at him over dinner. Besides, he's a bit of a party animal and is fairly animated. We could eat a nice meal, do some shots and head out for a night on the town. Good times with Shockey.

Mitch Williams - Was my inspiration to become a pitcher. Poor Mitchy-poo gets so much flack for that homerun he gave up to Joe Carter (which btw, was a great pitch low and inside- it's still a mystery how Carter hit that ball), I would love to tell him how fucking awesome he was. He also appears to be a crazy guy, so dinner would be alot of fun.

Greg Maddux - For the serious side of dinner. I am a pitching coach so we could talk strategy- ya know, go the in's and out's of pitch calling and placement. They don't call him "the professor" for nothing, ya know.

Donovan McNabb- Favorite athlete of all time, became a die-hard fan once he was drafted, was behind him despite the draft day boos, and I've always defended him to other fans. I love the guy. He's fun, he's great on the field, he's funny, and by all reports a genuinely nice guy.

Chipper Jones- First athlete I ever really followed, at the age of 6. He helped get me into the Braves, and I've always liked him since. He's been, by far, my favorite baseball player, 2nd favorite athlete of all-time, and I'd love to get the chance to meet him.

Anna Kournikova- Just sit her across the table from me and I'll be a happy, happy man. Nah, I'm just kidding, but it's tempting.

Derek Jeter- I hate the Yankees, but I love Jeter. I could never find room to hate him. He's a leader on and off the field, he's the perfect example of a consistent player who plays the right way. He won't hit 40 HRs a year, but he'll always give you 15, hit over .300 and he's well on his way to entering the 3,000 hit club. I'd love to have the chance to meet him.

I am going to involve no Steelers, Pirates or Penguins. Well at least for now.

Now, if i were to have dinner I would love to invite Chad Ochocino, Terrell Owens and Randy Moss. Why you might ask? Well, they all are egotists, and the trash talking would be awesome. To be perfectly honest I want to see a fight. I think Ocho-Cinco would piss em both off, he gets his ass whipped, and then Moss and Owens go at it. They have been the best receivers in football the better part of the last ten years. I believe this would lead to some good conversations, a lot of trash talking and a lot of great celebrations...

Tony Romo, Terrell Owens and Jason Witten.

This would make for an interesting convo, I'd start off with the obvious "if you 3 jackasses would have put your differences and egos aside, do you believe we would have actually made the playoffs and went further?" then I'd rip into them some more for being little bitches and one of the main reasons we failed yet again in December because they completely ruined what team chemistry we may have had, and then let them talk and fight with each other.

Moving on, I'd get opinions and chat about a variety of topics, like Ed Werner, what Jerruh is really like behind the scenes, TO "bullying" Jason Garrett, where Wade Phillips' balls are, Jessica's wonderful tits, Romo's golf hats, and if I can get one autographed, TO's driveway ab workouts, etc. Yeah, so basically, it would be a big fuck you to Jason Witten. He's just uninteresting. Great player though.

Rob Burrow, because he's one of the best Rugby League players in the world right now and I love him lots. I based my rugby style on him, so talking to him about it properly would be amazing.

Kevin Sinfield, again, one of the best RL players in the world. I'd love t have a real chat with him, while laughing at all my friends who fanxcy him.

Tony Romo, not because I know anything about him, or have ever watched a full game with him in it. But well, I want to look at him.

Being from South Jersey for most of my life, I’m going to have to go with 3 Philadelphia Legends in their respective sports. The issue I have is, which three??

It's hard to narrow it down to three, but I'll try my hardest.

Derek Jeter is by far my favorite athlete of all time. He's the captain of my favorite baseball team, The New York Yankees. He's been consistent, hitting above .300 every year, hitting 20 or so homers and driving in 80-100 runs. Jeter is the guy I want at the plate with two outs in the bottom of the ninth. He's a clutch, consistent hitter and a solid fielder. He's got a squeaky clean reputation, leads our team with poise, and to top it all off, has been a major reason we've won four rings. Derek Jeter is Mr. November. He's the heart and soul of the Yankees and he will always have a special place in my heart.

Shawn Michaels is one of my all-time favorite wrestlers. He's been a part of so many great moments in wrestling and I would love to sit down and talk with him about wrestling. He's a born-again Christian and an outstanding person. He's the type of wrestler that my mother would approve of.

Brandon Roy turned my Blazers around. We had a four or five year period where our team was horrible, we had 7,000 people in the garden, and you were ashamed to be a Blazer fan. We were the Jail Blazers. It was horrible. In just three years, Brandon Roy has taken this team and completely changed its identity. We're in the playoffs. I hardly have the words to talk about how much Brandon means to this team. He's one of my idols and would cherish the opportunity to meet him.

Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith & Michael Irvin.

That would be bad ass to have dinner with the Triplets & it would make for some interesting conversation. I would first ask what was it like to work for Jerry Jones & having Jimmy Johnson & Barry Switzer as the two coaches who coached you three to help us win 3 Super Bowl Titles in 4 years.

The most important question I would ask them three is what do they think about the current version of the Cowboys & how long do they think the Cowboys will win a layoff game & their 6th Super Bowl Championship & then last, but certainly not least. I would get an autograph from all 3 players & thank them for providing some of the greatest moments that I have seen as a Cowboys fan.

Baseball Being a homer (pun slightly intended) it is such a hard choice. But if I had to choose just one, as I want to invite 2 others from other sports, I would have to say Jermaine Dye. He is an awesome player, has been my favorite player since Aaron Rowand left, as Aaron was my favorite beforehand. He can tear the cover off the ball, and is playing his best defense in years, even though he is in his 30s and may have lost a step.

Football Before the end of last season, I would've said Mike Brown from the Bears. He has been my favorite player for years, even though he is often injured. But now I am going to say Danieal Manning. He is solid on defense, and is fast as hell. I say if Hester is going to be strictly a receiver, Manning is returning punts and kickoffs. So I like a Manning, but not Peyton or Eli.

Hockey This is the toughest choice of the three for me. I have to go between Duncan Keith and Jonathan Toews. Duncan Keith is one of the most underrated defensemen in the NHL. He skates about as fast as anyone, and he is a very good shutdown defender. Jonathan Toews is a very good all around player, and very mature for his age. He is a natural born leader and was one of the best faceoff men in the playoffs this year as well as leading the team in goals during the regular season.

My list consists of two Baseball players and one NHL player.

First and foremost, Pete motha-fuckin' Rose- Being from the Cincy area, the man is a fuckin' god. I'd simply wanna hang with him, maybe ask how it feels to be to be the Hits King, and ask how he felt about playing for the Expos. Then I'd grovel at his feet and tell him how much he deserves to to be in the HoF.

Second, Johnny "Judas Iscariott" Damon- As a staunch Red Sox fan, he'd simply be there so I could kick his ass for selling out to the Yankees.

Lastly, I'd invite Rick Nash- Again, being from Ohio, I'd have to pull somebody from the Jackets. If for nothing else, he and I could discuss the screwjob from the playoffs against Detroit. (side note: at least the RedWing club didn't win the other night. There would have been a riot or ten in the City of Hamilton!, Ohio.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back