• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Intercontinental and Tag Team Titles NOT being defended at Wrestlemania!

HeartBreakKid

Dark Match Winner
What a waste.

Two of the most storied and historic championships not being defended on wrestlings greatest stage. It is an outrage to me that not one, but both of these championships are not getting any respect.

They have given us some memorable Wrestlemania moments i.e Shawn Michaels vs Razor Ramon for the IC title at Wrestlemania X for one example. I dont think that the current 4 v 4 corre match thats taking place will be memorable by any means and there wasting both title holders in that match.

I understand that at the current time the tag team division is very weak to say the least. However, I think they could have done a tornado tag or something at least. Have Santino Kozlov, The Uso's, Big Show and Kane, and The Corre. Let the Corre retain giving them some more credibility.

The fact that the IC title is not being defended in comparison to the Tag Team Titles is just absurd. There are plenty of contendors. They could have held off on Wade winning it from kofi till this event. Maybe have held a two week mini tournament on Samckdown to determine the number one contender for the IC championship. That would have been some good build up to a match at Wrestlemania and at the same time make the title look more important again. Have Wade win the mini tournament. Then having him win his first major title at the big pay per view would have been a great touch.

So my questions to all you are:

Are you upset these titles aren't being defended or are you okay with it because the tag team division is lackluster and you like the 4 v 4 corre match?

If The IC title was being defended who would you have in the match and why?

If the tag titles were being defended what teams would be in the match and why?

Are you upset these titles aren't being defended or are you okay with it because the tag team division is lackluster and you like the 4 v 4 corre match?
I am dissapionted not to see the Intercontinental Championship being defended. Unlike the Tag Team Championships. The talent is there to have a good divison. It's just not being used properly. The US Title seems the more prestigious, the IC Title wasn't worth much when Kofi was champ IMO. Maybe now Wade Barrett can have a good reign, and give the Title some credibility again. I don't care that the tag team titles aren't being defended. Anyway atleast the champions will be involved in 'Mania.

Although there is no fued built. I would have liked to see Wade Barrett go head to head with Christian.

There are no tag teams I like in the WWE. So I'm happy there not being defended. Of course not defending the titles won't help the divison. But personally I just don't want to watch a tag team match that dosen't include a team as good as Beer Money, or The Guns, Kings Of Wrestling ect.

What a waste.

Two of the most storied and historic championships not being defended on wrestlings greatest stage. It is an outrage to me that not one, but both of these championships are not getting any respect.

So firstly I would like to disagree with this statement in that it is not an outrage. Both these title do not have to be defended at every Wrestlemania. Neither do either of these titles need to be defended at Mania. If there is no set-up and no reason to have a match than it is not an outrage. Would you rather have them scrap something randomly that would make no sense? If you are going to have a title match at Wrestlemania then you need a good feud going into it. Sadly no feud was made for either title so clearly I am not nearly as annoyed as you seem to be.

They have given us some memorable Wrestlemania moments i.e Shawn Michaels vs Razor Ramon for the IC title at Wrestlemania X for one example. I dont think that the current 4 v 4 corre match thats taking place will be memorable by any means and there wasting both title holders in that match.

Your right there have been some very memorable lesser title matches taken place at Mania, however there have also been other matches that the IC title holder has been in that are quite memorable. Take last year for example, Drew McIntyre was in the very last Money in the Bank match at Wrestlemania, and I think this match will go down in history. Then again not every match at every Mania is a a memorable match. This is a fact. This match will be good for getting the crowd pumped, and it adds to the credibility of the Corre in this match, If they Corre had not these titles then would you think they had a shot at winning? No.

I understand that at the current time the tag team division is very weak to say the least.
I would disagree. I think the tag division is getting very much better. No it is not that good but it is not very weak. They have actual tag teams that are getting established on Superstars. They actually have several various tag teams right now so i think ti is actually better then you are making it to be.

However, I think they could have done a tornado tag or something at least. Have Santino Kozlov, The Uso's, Big Show and Kane, and The Corre. Let the Corre retain giving them some more credibility.

Or they could have a 4 on 4 tag match and have Corre win and still get them credibility. Why would there be need to make a random tag match just for the hell of it. This would do the same exact thing as your proposed match, but actually have more reason behind it. Just because it was a possible tag match doesn't mean it needed to happen.

The fact that the IC title is not being defended in comparison to the Tag Team Titles is just absurd. There are plenty of contendors.

Let me get this straight your saying the IC title is so much better than the tag titles. Yes there are plenty of people you could put in an IC title match but for what reason just to have a match?

They could have held off on Wade winning it from kofi till this event. Maybe have held a two week mini tournament on Samckdown to determine the number one contender for the IC championship.

This could be possible but who would be in it? You have Drew McIntyre still not in a match but everyone else of quality that is in the midcard range is already in a match. I am waiting on my main point for your final questions.

That would have been some good build up to a match at Wrestlemania and at the same time make the title look more important again. Have Wade win the mini tournament. Then having him win his first major title at the big pay per view would have been a great touch.

Nevermind I am making my point here. First of all the Corre is a group and you are defining all of the members of Corre as singles or tag stars. There sucess is measured by what they are doing as a group and not as what they each do individually. This match is about establishing the Corre as a group and this match is most appropriate for that fact.
So my questions to all you are:

Neither I feel this match was appropriate in establishing the Corre as a group and not seperate entities. I think you can't complain about the tag team division until you take a more in depth look at it.

In a hypothetical match I think the best match up for current champion Barett would be in a match against Kingston because they seem to have chemistry with one another.

Oce again in a hypothetical match I would have Corre face members of Nexus for group supremacy. Also this helps build the youth.

Eh, call me old fashioned but the IC title SHOULD be defended at WM. For whatever reason it doesn't happen, but it really should. I know, I know the quality of the title has been diminished to zilch in recent years but it's the biggest PPV of the year...every title should be on the line. It should really be a given. The Corre match seems like it'll be OK, but still. As far as the tag tiles are concerned...they're FUBAR, so yeah. Whatever.

Barrett and Kingston. Barrett should already be in the main event at this point, but that's another story. it was kind of anti-climatic when he won the IC title on SD, and if he won it at WM at least the future of your company gets some gold and spotlight at WM. And yes, Kofi is boring but he'd make a competent opponent for Barrett...It could've been a decent platform for Barrett.

Yeah...I don't even know at this point. I'm actually all for Slater and Gabriel as a team...problem is there's absolutely NO viable competition in the tag division for them to face. So I'd just have Kane and Big Show put them over.

Are you kidding?
Not every wrestlemania has every title been defended.
Yes, it is bad but think about it, the divas championship isnt being defended. Why arent you complaining about that?
It has the same or dare i say more prestige than the tag team and intercontinental titles.
Face it. Not every title can be defended, if they were, there would be less good non-title matches and all the title matches would be shorter, giving their matches less to go upon. I'm not disappointed that all the titles are being defended. Be happy the champions are on the card and its not a terrible gimmic match although there will be gimmic moments in the 4 on 4 match

It might be considered bad booking by some here and other fans but for me its WWE and Its WrestleMania. Chances are some cuts will be happening soon after Mania and ofcourse The Draft will most likely be coming once again to shake things up.

WrestleMania for me, aside from the movie stars and the legends coming home has always been a chance to get everyone on the roster on TV. Remember the Diva Rumbles or The Pre-Mania "Jobber" Rumbles that would sometimes lead to some sort of title shot or just extra hype for the main event?

Well, I think the obvious choice here is Kofi vs. Wade for the IC title and Show/Kane vs. The Corre for the titles and chances are Show/Kane winning the titles would really get the Mania fans excited. So there is no question here.

Here's that bad booking I was speaking about earlier....

For me... I would have no problem with having a four way tag team title match where you Show and Kane will win and admitly the other teams are filler but they get to showcase something. Kidd and Ted Jr had a team going for awhile on Superstars and Ryder and Primo went undefeated on Superstars as well. Their size could easy steal the show with fast pace and highspots combined with Justin's 450 and the match would most likely finish with Big Show catching Primo and Kidd while Kane caught Ryder and Ted Jr and they both done a double chokeslam and held down all four men. Leading to the pin while The Corre stands on the outside arguing wanting to take their titles and leave.

Same could be done with Kofi vs. Wade its been done a few times on Smackdown and a title match at Mania might not be that huge of a deal but having Teddy Long stacking the deck against Wade would be interesting and could help some other guys on the roster. Like saying The Corre will get a taste of its own and Wade will have to defend in a handicap match. Throw in Trent or Curt and the winner of the title is the one that gets the pin. This can cause trouble between Trent and Curt as they been feuding on Superstars leading them to forget about the title and focus on each other. Kofi confused at his "team mates" fighting each other turns around to a wasteland ...match ends.

Are you kidding?
Not every wrestlemania has every title been defended.
...I never said they did.

Yes, it is bad but think about it, the divas championship isnt being defended. Why arent you complaining about that?
I'm guessing that's a rhetorical question.

Face it. Not every title can be defended, if they were, there would be less good non-title matches and all the title matches would be shorter, giving their matches less to go upon.
Yeah because there's never a drawn-out out music performance or a vs. McMahon that takes way to much time on the card that could be use for an actual match...OH WATE...

Be happy the champions are on the card and its not a terrible gimmic match although there will be gimmic moments in the 4 on 4 match

Yeah lucky me. I'm so privileged Vince decided not to opt for half of the card being a gimmick match. It's not like the champions should at least have a spot on the card or anything. He's such a saint.

If the Intercontinental and Tag Team Championships were to be defended it would of been Wade Barrett v. Kofi

and..

Corre vs. Big Show & Kane or Santino & Vladmir

So instead of having two matches nobody cared about a mania they just made it into one.. good move in my eyes

It always rubbed me the wrong way that titles didn't get defended at the biggest PPV the company has to offer. Wrestlemania is suppose to be the place where the best in the business showcase there talent, & where stars are born. What better way to build stars for your company & create moments then to have your champions defend there gold at your biggest PPV. To me WWE not having the titles on the line shows just how much they don't really care about these titles & if I worked for the company I would be personally a little disappointed that I wouldn't be defending my belt at the biggest PPV.

Kofi vs. Wade the match they had on Smackdown was really good, now just think if they would have saved that match for Mania. They could have added a few more mins to the match & have it end the same way. That would have been a great moment for Wade to beat Kofi the way he did on Smackdown at Mania instead.

Show/Kane vs. The Corre vs. Santino/Kozlov Tables Elimination Match the reason I would do this match w/these groups in it is because two of the teams have history w/the Tag champs & the reason I would make it a tables match is because the Tag Division needs some excitement & a tables match could have helped w/the excitement value of the match.

I would have had the Divas Title on the line also.

Natalya vs. Eve vs. Beth Falls Count Anywhere Match The reason I would have booked this match is because the womens division has been lackluster so a 10min falls count anywhere match at Mania w/some divas that can really wrestle could have been a good way to give the division the facelift it needs.

It always rubbed me the wrong way that titles didn't get defended at the biggest PPV the company has to offer. Wrestlemania is suppose to be the place where the best in the business showcase there talent, & where stars are born. What better way to build stars for your company & create moments then to have your champions defend there gold at your biggest PPV. To me WWE not having the titles on the line shows just how much they don't really care about these titles & if I worked for the company I would be personally a little disappointed that I wouldn't be defending my belt at the biggest PPV.

Kofi vs. Wade the match they had on Smackdown was really good, now just think if they would have saved that match for Mania. They could have added a few more mins to the match & have it end the same way. That would have been a great moment for Wade to beat Kofi the way he did on Smackdown at Mania instead.

Show/Kane vs. The Corre vs. Santino/Kozlov Tables Elimination Match the reason I would do this match w/these groups in it is because two of the teams have history w/the Tag champs & the reason I would make it a tables match is because the Tag Division needs some excitement & a tables match could have helped w/the excitement value of the match.

I would have had the Divas Title on the line also.

Natalya vs. Eve vs. Beth Falls Count Anywhere Match The reason I would have booked this match is because the womens division has been lackluster so a 10min falls count anywhere match at Mania w/some divas that can really wrestle could have been a good way to give the division the facelift it needs.

Wrestlemania has just grown to be far larger than two midcard card titles. Wrestlemania is about World Title matches, big time dream matches (even if we've seen them before), and battle royales to get everyone on the card.

Besides, if we had the IC title and the Tag Team titles, in addition to the World titles and US title, there wouldn't be much point to the Night of Champions PPV, now would there?

People who keep talking about the "prestige" of the IC title do not seem to realize the prestige the IC title used to have existed only because it was the second biggest title in the promotion. That's no longer the case. The IC title is nothing more than a lower midcard title at this point. And I'm completely fine with that.

You don't have to have them defended. The IC title has only been defended at Mania 25 since WM 18.

This isn't an issue at all.

I think what makes it an issue now are the points that:
-lack of exposure for many deserving superstars that could be in these matches
-lack of notoriety for titles in question
-lack of buildup for certain specific matches

These points are more relevant to today's WWE than they have been in the years prior, hence more of us would like to see WWE put emphases on the titles here at Wrestlemania since it would have been sufficient justification for matchups (like Sheamus vs DB) as well as justification for including more fan favorite mid carders in WrestleMania.

The question of whether those other midcarders should or shouldn't be in WrestleMania is a different question altogether and would also go with the Thread of whether there should have been a Money In The Bank ladder match.

The WWE is just over-saturated with titles, thereby diluting the value of each one. The WWE title and the WHC are the only titles that really matter today (similar to the WWF and IC titles in the 80's and 90's). The problem is that because there are so many belts to keep track of, with title changes every few months, they've lost their value as tools for putting guys over. Until the two brands are merged we'll always have this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back