• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Instant Replay in Baseball

With last night's call that ended Armando Galarraga's perfect game, it is most likely that calls for more instant replay in baseball will follow. We already have replay on home runs. The problem with more instant replay is that it slows down an already slow game. I guess theres a little irony that all this comes from a game that took only an hour and 44 minutes.

I think that every play should be reviewable. However, a play will only be reviewed when its plays a big part in the game. We cant go looking at every bang-bang play at first base or every pitch just off the corner. In fact, balls and strikes shouldnt even be reviewable. But plays like the one last night should be reviewable. It should be at the umpire's discretion over plays are reviewed. If there is a close play, the umps should gather and discuss whether the call on the field is questionable and how important that call is to the final outcome of the game. The problem with this, is that it likely will cause more managers to come out and talk to umpires, thus making the game longer. My solution for this problem would be to give MLB the power to fine managers who excessively go out and ask for a replay. This way, managers are a little more hesitant to go talk to the ump. They will still go out and argue, but a possible fine should restrict them enough to prevent slowing the game.

That is my idea. How do you feel about instant replay in baseball?

Damn I was going to make this thread and you beat me to it. I am a huge tigers fan I havent seen a tigers pitcher throw a no hitter or a perfect game (I was working when justin verlander threw his nono against milwaukee). Yesterday was absolutely horrible and its another reason why baseball needs to get instant replay. People complained that instant replay would extend football games to well given the ratings the nfl and ncaa get I dont think people notice a different especially when they get potentially game changing calls right. Now I get that baseballs different theres no clock games can last for along time but all you have to do is set a timer for replays. Say 30sec maybe a minute. It took 1 replay yesterday to tell joyce messed up. So you take a couple angles 30sec boom its reversed. Baseball needs to move into the 21st century already. I dont blame jim joyce it was a bang bang call shit happens I blame bud selig. He has the power to change this but wont. Big ups to joyce and armando for acting like professionals.

Instant replay is needed in baseball, there's no doubt about it. This talk of taking up too much time and making the game longer is stupid. How long does it take to change pitchers? In between at bats? Baseball already takes a long time with meaningless crap, adding instant replay would be huge.

Now the question becomes how would you use it? Its obvious that it should be used for instances like last night. And I agree Peep that calls that affect the outcome of the game should be considered. But then there will be questions as to at what point does a play affect the game. Can managers argue for a call to be reviewed. I think it should be like football. They can have 2 challenges. That's cuts out the arguing and gives them an automatic replay. Once they use up their replays, they are no longer allowed to argue calls. The umps are the only ones who can decide is a play needs to be replayed or not. Its flawed I know, but something to start.

It takes a broadcaster less than 30 seconds to look at a replay and determine a safe or out call, with the overwhelming abundance of technology and HD cameras with slow motion so fucking clear you could literally see an insect on the 1st base bag.

Get a fifth ump and put him up with the scorekeeper, on bang bang plays he reviews it up in the booth, he's already up there watching the game, so it's not going to take any extra time. When a close play happens call up to him, or better yet, he can just walkie down to the crew chief with a simple safe of out, or a fair or fowl, and it won't take but less than a minute.

I know I'm going to be in the minority here but I don't want more instant replay. Obviously it would help to get calls correct all the time but where does it stop? Technology has been booming and will keep getting better and better, so where will it stop, years down the road are they going to just replace umpires all together with high speed cameras? No thanks. I'll take my human errors over all that. The human element is such a huge part of the game and I don't think using more technology in the games will better it. The MLB still uses wooden bats when there are top of the line aluminum ones one the market that would surely increase stats and make the game a more entertaining one for most people, but they don't use them. The line was drawn there and it needs to be drawn on instant replay too. I feel sorry for the kid last night but it's part of the game. I'm sure there were a few calls that went his way to keep the perfecto intact up to that point, he just didn't get the last one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back