• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Influences

I saw in Doc's thread that something they did had already been done in a Power Puff Girls cartoon. This got me to think of things that I have done that most likely came from cartoons as well, they subconsciously influenced my writing. But what influences your writing? Could be movies, shows, music, even other characters.

For myself I am heavily influenced by Invader Zim (pretty much all Jhonen Vasquez stuff actually), the Simpsons, Troma-style cult movies, random animes and cartoons I'm watching and random video games I'm playing at the time. Not so much music really or other wrestlers surprisingly.

I try to read other characters I like and see how RPers certain aspects of their character work and try to figure out how to do the same but in my own way (if that makes sense). A bunch of characters I've read have caused me to say things a certain way or describe events another way. Too many to list but I'd say Toyota influenced my style the most. Toyota was the first character I saw that was goofy yet terrifying in the ring. GD would write serious RPs but always sneak laughs in them. Gave me hope for Alhazred when I first came in. Kravinoff and Barbosa were doing this was well at the time but I always enjoyed Toyota more for some reason. Miko taught me some heel tactics that I still use, he doesn't know it but he suggested little things that I always found genius and have incorporated into my RPs ever since.

So how about you?

I saw in Doc's thread that something they did had already been done in a Power Puff Girls cartoon. This got me to think of things that I have done that most likely came from cartoons as well, they subconsciously influenced my writing. But what influences your writing? Could be movies, shows, music, even other characters.

For myself I am heavily influenced by Invader Zim (pretty much all Jhonen Vasquez stuff actually), the Simpsons, Troma-style cult movies, random animes and cartoons I'm watching and random video games I'm playing at the time. Not so much music really or other wrestlers surprisingly.

I try to read other characters I like and see how RPers certain aspects of their character work and try to figure out how to do the same but in my own way (if that makes sense). A bunch of characters I've read have caused me to say things a certain way or describe events another way. Too many to list but I'd say Toyota influenced my style the most. Toyota was the first character I saw that was goofy yet terrifying in the ring. GD would write serious RPs but always sneak laughs in them. Gave me hope for Alhazred when I first came in. Kravinoff and Barbosa were doing this was well at the time but I always enjoyed Toyota more for some reason. Miko taught me some heel tactics that I still use, he doesn't know it but he suggested little things that I always found genius and have incorporated into my RPs ever since.

So how about you?

You couldn't tell me those heel tactics I suggested could you? I think I need all the help I can get.

My stuff is heavily inspired by Terry Pratchett, especially the 'Death' character, he has a way of describing things and Humanising characters that I find utterly delightful, he's turned a character that for some reason is usually percieved to be villanious (Death) into his worlds biggest hero, bit like some of the Game Of Thrones characters but done a million times better.

When I first started I parroted the standard format but even then people said I was fairly unique, so I just went to town with what comes naturally to me, which is a bit of silliness dressed up in serious layering and a character that is as straight as a straight man can be surrounded by madness, which is further emphasised by my character being too far the other way.

Fed inspirations in no particular order are Doc, Barbosa, Coco, GD, yourself, Ty and Jglass, as while your characters were/are the madder ones, they also were/are also the most Human, have the most warmth, are even the most relatable, are the most interestingly written and are just generally people I want to keep reading.

Also it was working with you that has led to some of my RP's being as extreme as they are, you showed me it was okay to push the boundaries and leave your comfort zone.

For Derek Jacobs, my biggest influences are the Big Evil version of the Undertaker and Diesel era Nash.

For TNC era DJ, I used Luke Harper (Brodie Lee) as sort of an inspiration.

Oh and crack, magic mushrooms and sniffing paint. They are HUGE influences.

I based Dustin Hunter off a mix of Raven, Dean Ambrose (his FCW gimmick) and original promos i've written on wwe games.

For Carnival Of Carnage it's kind of a mix of our own original ideas, Bad Influence and Edge & Christian. Plus little bits and pieces from other teams.

For Celeste's current character I'm drawing heavily from The Punisher and Admiral Akainu from One Piece.

El Califa - I dunno. Mexican luchador with a national sense of pride. Went basic but the back story and current story is darker.

Ty Burna - I can't really claim any influences. What became a gimmick I came up with in .00001 seconds when Lee said I could join grew into this whole story. Some things I took from Ministry era Taker, but for the most part I just wanted to be the absolute heel - monster, strong, cowardish, stable leader, owner, GM etc. during the AoC storyline. I really don't know what to say for Ty as a face, other than I did my best work with him as a face. If you want influences would include the Occult, old religion/philosophy, and the fact my character truly was insane. The King of Darkness name came from a Tech N9ne song called K.O.D.

This is mostly Ty centered, but I honestly don't know what to say in regards to an influence. Ministry era Undertaker (which is still my favorite storyline sans the whole Vince is the higher power part) would be the closest bet, but I was told a long time ago I was the Kane to Vengeance's Undertaker, I still believe there's a big difference in characters that we're not truly tied to a similar gimmick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back