• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

In Memory of Tony Scott

Dowdsy McDowds

Sally was here
In the wake of the news of Tony Scott's passing, I thought it would be nice for people to post their favourite moments from his films or tell us about your favourite films of his. There is a spam thread for Tony Scott already so please explain your reasons in this thread.

Top Gun is arguably his most well-known film and most iconic, but True Romance is without doubt my favourite film of his. I didn't really note who directed it when I watched it the first couple of times as it was Tarantino's name that drew me in. The dialogue is sharp, the characters are well-rounded, the violence is gruesome, all trademarks of a Tarantino film. However the direction and focus throughout the film make it a great (somewhat) collaboration.

One scene which best shows the combined powers is probably the films most well-known scene where Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken discuss the heritage of Italians (specifically Sicilians) as Hopper intends to wind up Walken but also give Christian Slater and Patricia Arquette time to get ahead of their pursuers.

I enjoyed the majority of Tony Scott's work. Dowds already mentioned True Romance (a great film by the way), so I'm going with the 2004 version of Man On Fire with my pick.

You really get a chance to see Scott's intense and gritty style of directing throughout this film, and the over the top violence is just unreal. In this scene, John (Denzel) tortures a crooked cop for information. This cop was apart of Lupita's (Dakota Fanning) kidnapping, and of course, John vowed to kill everyone involved. The brutal gore in this scene is sickening, and you will see a handful of genuine hard-to-watch moments here:

[YOUTUBE]P6LZhpgpggU[/YOUTUBE]

Tony Scott could always deliver high-powered action sequences. You really get to see this sort of style in Top Gun and Days Of Thunder (yes, I am one of the few people, who actually enjoyed that film), and certain chase scenes in Enemy Of The State. Unlike the majority of critics, I LOVED Deja Vu and Domino. Beverly Hills Cop II was a great action/comedy, and Crimson Tide is one of the best war movies you'll ever see. And both of these films were driven by a few outstanding performances from Robert De Niro and John Travolta, but The Fan and the Taking Of Pelham 1 2 3 remake are still very solid films.

Scott's death was a real shock, and he'll be missed.

One scene which best shows the combined powers is probably the films most well-known scene where Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken discuss the heritage of Italians (specifically Sicilians) as Hopper intends to wind up Walken but also give Christian Slater and Patricia Arquette time to get ahead of their pursuers.

"You're a cantaloupe" :p

Tony Scott made some absolutely amazing movies, True Romance is one of my all times favs. Ofcourse Top Gun and Man on Fire are classics too, he really was a talented director and it's a damn shame something was bad enough for him to end his life.

My favorite movie of his is True Romance and although the scene with Walken and Hopper is my favorite i'll use another since Dowds covered that one. I really loved towards the end when they're meeting with Lee Donowitz, so many of the characters had great chemistry(especially Clarence and Alambama) but I loved Lee and Clarence because of the way their characters spoke it made their exchanges awesome and throw in Elliot nearly pissing himself and throw in Chris Penn & Tom Sizemore as a team and you've got something great. Everyone fit into their characters so well it just made the movie more special, in my opinion Scott's best movie. Rest in peace sir and thank you for all your great films.

I'm gonna go ahead and pick another film of Scott's that is amongst my favourites. It's also perpetually under-rated in many ways; the main star captures a lot of the humour and toughness from his most iconic film, the co-star is one of the more tolerable brothers out of a shamble of bastards, the script is written by one of the 90s hottest properties and as a comedy crime caper it is over-looked. So which film is it?

last_boy_scout.jpg

This film is a lot of fun due in large part to the chemistry between Wayans and Willis, but also thanks to Shane Black's brilliant script. There are so many great one-liners and back and forths in the film, but my personal favourite would be the 'touch me again' scene.

I love my films and have always said that I couldn't say which is my favorite film of all... but The Last Boy Scout really comes close. The is the epitome of an action comedy, written by the best of the time (Shane 'Lethal Weapon' Black) and directed perfectly by Scott. Dowds has chosen a great scene but it's hard to pick any that isn't stellar, I've decided to pick one that epitomizes the tone - very funny and, yet, quite dark at the same time...

[YOUTUBE]LRzT1HdFrRg[/YOUTUBE]​

I mentioned Crimson Tide earlier, and this film ranks high on my list of Tony Scott favorites. Scott's directing is sharp, and the entire cast is just outstanding. Also, you have to give some credit to Quentin Tarantino, because he did write some of the dialogue for this film. Of course, Denzel and Gene Hackman provide the most memorable scenes. During this heated argument, Hunter (Denzel) finally stands up to the stubborn old veteran Commander (Hackman). Ramsey is from the old school, and he doesn't respect the young punk with no combat experience. The tension during this scene is great, and this argument provides the major turning point for this film:

[YOUTUBE]sKf7ONCXu3g[/YOUTUBE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back