• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ice Hockey Fights...

The Rob

Telling me I'm invincible..
Could someone please explain how and why brawls in Ice Hockey seem to be fucking legal? In any other sport the referee's are normally straight in to break things up before it gets nasty but in Ice Hockey, they just stand there and watch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGo3ANHxilI

In this video the ref's are litterally just stood there watching this take place and only stepped in when someone had been punched in the face. Whilst it's fucking hilarious to see these fights, I just don't really understand how they seem to be part of the game.

Could someone please explain how and why brawls in Ice Hockey seem to be fucking legal? In any other sport the referee's are normally straight in to break things up before it gets nasty but in Ice Hockey, they just stand there and watch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGo3ANHxilI

In this video the ref's are litterally just stood there watching this take place and only stepped in when someone had been punched in the face. Whilst it's fucking hilarious to see these fights, I just don't really understand how they seem to be part of the game.

Fights aren't really legal. The two guys involved will get 5 minutes in the box for the act, along with suspensions and fines. As for the refs just standing there, the best I can say is because the League realizes, the fans wanna see these aforementioned fights, because they are exciting.

It has to do with the mentality of the sport. It kind of goes to the game polices itself idea, but it's more than that. When someone messes with a little guy on your team, the big guys go after him.

I don't know if you know hockey or not, but say if a little guy like Brian Gionta got bowled over by a big guy like Colton Orr, one of the Devils big men, like Clarkson. If Orr did something really dirty or continued to pick on Gionta or got really into it with Clarkson, they'd wind up fighting. If Clarkson wins, it gives his team a boost and shows the Rangers don't mess with the little guys, or I'm going to come after you too (Scott Stevens famously pointed at the Detroit Red Wings and said you're next after he fucked some guy up). If Orr won, he'd send a message to the Devils saying you can't stop me, I'm going to keep messing with you. Also, if a player on the other team messes with the goalie, it's necessary to make sure he knows that he can't do that all game long, or he's going to get fucked up.

Personally, I like the fights because it's almost tradition in hockey, but if they were to completely get rid of them, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it either.

Not only that, but it is better to let them fight then to leave them with all the pent up angst. Usually one hard fight will leave the two partakers relieved. If the refs broke it up at the beginning, the could have a few more instances. There are times when fights are broken up, such as near the end of the game, when refs will give game misconducts more frequently.

Why don't you get inbetween two 250 pound bohemeths that could probably beat the living crap out of you in 1 punch......It'd be like getting inbetween a Muhammed Ali vs Mike Tyson fight. Why the heck they drop their hockey stick is beyond me. Why not just hit them in the face with it? Honestly.

Wait, those fights actually happen? I just thought that was some weird ice hockey stereotype!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back