• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

IC Tournament

kylexxx

Occasional Pre-Show
After watching RAW this past Tuesday [Australian time] I came to see the potential it has for a couple of major storylines to come out if it. Here is my take on it.

The first to rounds saw both Kofi and Punk advance to the semi finals, which in normal tourney format will see the Tag champs face off to see who makes the final, which will lead to them dropping the titles back to most likely Rhodes and Manu [with Ted out of the picture atm, however i could see a spirit squad 3 person tag champs when he returns, or Manu being forced to give it back to him. [storyline total thus far : 2]

Regal was also building Punk up on commentary and I can se the too of them feuding over the IC title either before or after the tag titles change hands [SL: 3]

Next week according to the main page will see both the Miz and John Morrison competing, logic would have both men advance and then led to going their seperate ways at the end of the tourney, maybe a HBK interference which the Miz takes advantage of and Morrison holds in against him.

So from that we have 5 possible storylines that could eventuate from this Tournament, I think WWE might be onto something with this, if they don't drop the ball.

I'm excited about this tournament, I must say. The qualifying matches were nothing spectacular, but it's getting buzz around the title and could help restore it's credibility. Hell, it's a storyline around the IC title, I'll take it. Regal vs Punk is definitely something I could get behind, and I'm also highly interested in Punk winning the IC title, as it would establish him as a Triple Crown Champion. Given the list of Triple Crown champs, it would give him a high chance of future success.

I see Mysterio winning out over Miz, with Morrison over Finlay. I don't think they want to make this a tag team vs tag team deal, so they'll probably keep Miz, as the lesser of the pairing, out of it. Furthermore, this sets up two excellent matches in Mysterio vs Kofi, a clash of high flyers, and CM Punk vs John Morrison, which we've already seen to be a great program. Upon reaching that, I figure on Punk winning out over Morrison and it gets a little murky there, because the WWE might want to go with Punk vs Mysterio, to kind of throw together a pseudo main event match, or Kofi vs Punk for the tag team champs vs each other business. Either way, would be a good match. I anticipate Punk winning that one as well, leading to Regal vs Punk either on Raw or Armageddon (don't know how it'll be timed), with Punk probably winning the title. I can't imagine they would give us all this tournament buzz and then not change the title. That would definitely put over Punk large, holding two titles at the same time, and would lead to a good program with Regal for a few months. Punk as IC Champion would help a lot to credibility as well, himself a WH Champion...however successful or not that title reign may have been.

Of course, it could go in an entirely different direction, but I'm basing this largely off suspicions with Regal's commentary about Punk. Seems like a feud between them is the brewing thing.

I could see Miz or Punk taking the tournament. From Raw, I can see a JBL/Morrison/HBK storyline developing, leaving only the Miz to go after the gold. Give the recent altercations between Regal and Punk, it would only make sense for Punk to win the tournament, which makes me think Regal screwing Punk in the final and a triple threat for the belt.

I don't think the tournament will do much to be honest other than fill a little space on the card. Although I'll be interested to see the involvement if any of one Mr Kennedy.

I was very, very excited when they introduced that they'd be doing this.....up until Regal came out and ruined it all.

I'd be surprised if that was a swerve and they really aren't doing Punk/Regal...but c'mon. Once that happened and they kept referencing the two having "a feud for the ages" and all that, its obvious they're building towards that.

I'm hoping though, that the Miz wins the IC title. That guy needs championship gold soon. He'll most likely beat Mysterio and then lose to whoever his opponent is (probably Punk in the finals) but they haven't said who the other 2 competitors are yet.

Can't criticize it too much yet...but if they just go ahead and do Punk/Regal, then they ruined it by setting it up this early.

Yeah, right now unless the WWE decides to swerve us it looks like it's going to come down to Punk vs. Regal. Regal was the one who cost Punk his match against Orton, plus he did commentary for that match(but not the Kofi/Kane one). It does seem the WWE is using this tournament to get a fued between these two started.

While I think a Punk vs. Regal feud would be good, and also think it could help the IC title seem more important(since Punk is a former World champ)I would also like to see either Miz or Morrison winning it aswell. Miz may have the better chance since Morrison seems to be starting something with JBL/HBK, but either one would be exciting for me. In the end it just seems to obvious that it will be Punk/Regal unless creative is actually going to hit us with a surprise(which I doub it)

Even if it has been "spoiled", Punk - Regal would still be a great program. Regal is a very skilled wrestler as is Punk, and I'm sure they could put on a great show together. Regal looks better and better every week. I'm certain several good matches, possibly even a gimmick match, could be had here.

If it's a swerve, I have to bank on Rey Mysterio. He's the big name left in the tourney, and would certainly aid the belt a lot, himself a former WHC like Punk. Miz could certainly carry it well, I'm just expecting a face here, given the heel champ. Mysterio would be a great candidate, and a face vs face program with Mysterio vs Punk down the line could also be a great show.

I have a feeling that this is Punk's chance to become a Triple Crown Champion. He currently has tag team gold, he is a former WWE Champion, and now he is pretty lame. They need to do something to the guy to give him a lead. That is why in the Finals, I can see him getting the win over his tag team partner, Kofi Kingston. The iz and Morrison don't need the IC belt. The Miz I can see going against Hardy in ECW, and Morrison perhaps making his return to Raw. Kingston was already a lackluster IC champion. So give the belt to Punk, and He will make it shine.

Having a some sort of tournament around this time is like a little teaser for the future i think, The road to wrestlemania is soon to begin, and this seems like an oppertunity to throw in some mid card guys who wouldn't normally fight and put them in some matches and see how they work together.

I kinda seemed like the Kofi vs Kane match was kinda dull, but it was more of a chance to test Kofis abilities and see if he is ready to come up to the next level, possibly keeping in mind his WM match. I bet the same thing will happen with Miz and whoever he's fighting.

But apart from a few little rubs for some guys, i don't suppose much is going to happen in this tournament. Except to set up Regals next challenger and plug the dvd.

I'm really excited about this tourney, although they're pretty much just trying to sell the new DVD, at least the title is getting some well needed attention. I figure that CM Punk will win this one, considering they've been kinda hinting a Punk/Regal match for a few weeks now.
If I understand the current listings, I guess Mysterio will beat out the Miz, Morrison will beat Finlay. I expect Kofi vs. Rey to be an excellent match with Rey most likely winning. We'll also get to see another Punk/Morrison match which will be good as well.
Here's to hoping that after this tourney the IC title continues to get more attention.

When I first heard about the ''Intercontinental Championship Tournament'', I was ecstatic as the IC Title was always one of my favorite titles. I generally LOVE tournaments, but do not like the fact that about 90% of them are too predictable. On RAW this past week we saw Kofi Kingston defeat Kane by DQ to advance to the semi-finals of the tournament and C.M. Punk defeat Snitsky to advance to the sem-finals of the tournament. Right off the bat, you can tell exactly who would win those two matches as WWE will not give Kane any title shot for a while and Snitsky is just a Superheavyweight Jobber at this point and won't be getting any pushes for a while.

If any of you have seen the tournament brackets, it has the Kofi/Kane match listed first and then the Punk/Snitsky match last, so the Tag Champs will not be facing each other in the tournament. The second match listed is the Rey Mysterio vs. The Miz match which is the least predictable matchup as it could actually go either way. The winner of the match will go on to face Kofi Kingston in the semi-finals.

As for C.M. Punk, he will go head-to-head with the winner of the John Morrison vs. Finlay match, which we have all predicted that Morrison will win. I have never really liked any match between Morrison and Punk as Morrison gets put over about 90% of the time whether it's one-on-one, tag-team, six-man tag or 8-man tag. Punk will then most likely win against Morrison for only about the 2nd time from what I remember.

I still don't know if Kofi Kingston will face Rey or Miz, but we will have to just find out. Kofi vs. Rey could be Match of the Year, but Rey would most likely win, while if Kofi faced Miz, then Kofi would win. Let's just assume that Kofi Kingston wins his semi-final match and goes on to the finals against Punk. That could also be a match for the ages, but I don't think that WWE should make there be a winner. If Punk wins, he will be considered the stronger of the team and if Kingston wins, they'll be saying that Punk is weaker. This early in their Tag Title reign would not benefit anyone if one beat the other. So I predict that Punk and Kingston will face each other in the finals of the tournament and then the match will end in a No-Contest, Double-Countout, or something like that.

Just like that, you set up a wonderful Triple Threat match for the Intercontinental Championship which I haven't seen since Umaga's reign. Punk vs. Regal has happened many times before and do you really think the IC Title will really help their matches be better? Adding Kofi Kingston benefits everybody.

May I ask what the purpose was for having Mysterio get fake-injured and still beat the Miz?

Way to make Miz look incompetent when he can't beat a guy smaller than him with an arm so screwed up that he shouldn't even be able to lift it. At first I thought they'd replace him with someone, and then I thought they'd give Miz a pass anyway, and then I think Mysterio would benefit by coming out and getting his ass kicked in 10 seconds flat. That makes The Miz look like he's a real asshole for picking on an injured guy, and it makes Mysterio look brave because he came out anyway. Miz wins, but Mysterio doesn't look bad.

The way they did it now, Mysterio beat Miz with one hand tied behind his back. So stupid.

Well think about it? Mysterio has always been one of the upper level performers so to have him lose to the Miz would not really make sense and the Miz is not really going to be the great Intercontinental Champ...not yet at least. I like the idea of a tournament for this title because it brings more prestige to this title and gives people eyes for something else other than the world title. It actually makes the wrestlers care about something.

To begin with, does it seem like they could have found a way to get the title off Regal so this tournament was actually for the title instead of the #1 Contender's spot? This is the best tournament idea they've had in a long time as the field is good and it's getting the big match feel to it. However, I hope that we're thrown a curve and Mysterio doesn't win it. No matter how he wins, it makes the other people look weak in not being able to beat him. I'm no longer a Rey fan, but I suppose this is one of the two best courses for the title. Either he or Punk are former world champions and it would make the title look like it means something to have a former champion hold it. I'm intrigued as to whom Rey will face for the title, but I could also see Kofi taking him out as he's been getting a steady push lately.

when i looked at the results i was liek hat the match didn't even happen. so i thought ok well that means mysterio is out a miz advances. then i scroll down a bit more and i see winner: Rey Mysterio

i was like wtf there must have been a mistake . i refreased and nope it was real. i got so mad i was like come on the miz lsot to some one who is just liek hornswoggle with that injured arm. anyways if morrison lost i would never watch raw again. anyways looks liek a morrison vs rey and kofi vs cm punk next week. just to get morrison to advance . so lets see what happens.

Honestly, I think WWE dropped the ball by having Mysterio go over Miz in the tournament. Me, personally, I would have liked to see Kofi vs. Miz and Morrison vs. Punk. That way, it's nothing but the new talent. And hell, even if Regal still goes over in the final match for the belt.. They at least still utilized the newer guys better.

I was kind of hoping for either Miz or Morrison to go over for the belt. So, that means I'm banking on Morrison to take it. Punk is boring with the titles and doesn't really bring anything to them.. At least not in WWE, that is. While Morrison has already proven that he can be a successful Intercontinental Champion.. Plus, he was already the ECW World Champ as well, so wouldn't he be able to bring something to the IC belt as well?

Here's hoping Mysterio doesn't end up winning.. I'm pretty much sick of him lately. All he does is make people look weak, which doesn't help anyone.

I have a feeling that the tournament will end with Morrison winning, and going on to face Regal for the title. And then, he will win the IC title and go from show to show with it seeing as he's technically on ECW and Smackdown, and I can see maybe a Champion vs Champion match of Shelton Benjamin vs Morrison, both are amazing athletes and amazing in the ring. It'd be a classic match , hopefully a pay per view calibur match though. I hate having when the wrestlers have extremely good matches on the tv shows but then drop the ball on the pay per views. And this could maybe also tie into the return of the European Championship. What could happen is Shelton wins beats Morrison, possibly taking his title, or maybe the title stays on ECW to give the ECW stars a chance to fight for something other then the ECW belt. And then, seeing as Raw would have no midcard title, Santino could be like " I'ma bringing back the one title that means anything to anyone, a title with more history then you thinka , the European Championship, and I, I will be the champion, and the greatest of them all!! "

IMO when the tourtement got underway. My thought would be that they would be breakin up miz and morrison with them meeting in the final and breaking up afterwards but now that miz has been knocked out i can see a punk vs morrison final. They had great matches for the ECW title and think they would have another great match but i don't see it ending fairly with maybe miz running in to help out morrison and then NOT Kofi running in but HBK to save punk which will set up a feud for HBK and morrison. IMO i think morrison will wear championship gold again one day. He is one of my favourite wrestlers along with shelton. IMAGINE Morrison World Heavyweight Champion and Shelton WWE Champion what a great world we will live in then.

The tournament in itself is a great idea. It's important to give the "average wrestling fan" a lesson in history here and there, like they did when Regal did commentary during Punk's match, and told the viewers about Patterson, etc. The fact that Regal came out during Punk's match makes me think that Punk will take the tournament and we will have a Regal/Punk [re]match. It would make the most sense since in the King of the Ring finals it was a Regal/Punk finish and Regal won. That's my reasoning...

...but the WWE doesn't follow my reasoning, so for all I know Rey Rey could take the whole damn tournament AND the title... makes no sense but I wouldn't put it past them.

On a more personal note, Regal is [one of] the most underutilized workers in the WWE. I was extremely happy when he defeated Marella for the title. (Marella is also FN amazing, imo) I hope he gets to hold on to it for a while.

I find it difficult to fathom how anyone can doubt that Punk is going to win this tournament.

For some bizarre reason they've opted not to have a Punk/Orton revenge fued and have had a number of altercations between Regal and Punk throughout the year.

-Regal beats Punk for the KOTR
-Regal inteferes in Lumberjack match between Punk/Orton
-Punk eliminates Regal in SSeries match in 8 seconds
-Regal watches over Punk's match and repeatedly states that he wants to beat him for the IC title.

Forget Mysterio and Kofi and M&M, it's not going to happen. We're going to see two technical based wrestlers face off for the IC title, not Regal vs a high flyer. The only way they can drop the ball with this build up, is if the title match is on Raw and not at Armageddon. The IC hasn't been properly defended since Summerslam (i know Santino defended it on PPV, but that match was 2 minutes long and ended in DQ so it doesn't count), and Regal hasn't had an actual PPV match in well over a year, so this title defense really NEEDS to be @ Armageddon

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back