• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I miss those Faces with Heel characteristics

kilva

Occasional Pre-Show
In my opinion, I guess its rather a curse than a blessing when you turn a Superstar a face, when that superstar is on a roll as a heel. The problem with the WWE in creating faces nowadays is that they are just 'Too Clean'. They act the same, sucking up to fans, and saying that they dont back down, humble, friendly, trying to be funny, and too clean. I think that is kinda the reason we easily get bored with most of the faces we have.

I think We kinda got too spoiled with what we had during the Attitude era. Take The Rock for example. When he turned face, his character did not change one bit. He still made fun of his enemies, the announcers, his catchphrases were the same, his cocky attitude is still there, and his ring moves remain the same.

Then today we have MVP. Back in 2006 when he was a heel, he was on a roll beating guys like Kane, Matt Hardy, Benoit, etc. His character was so perfect as a heel. How he acts, how he wrestles, his signature moves suit him and his character. When they gave him the losing streak and turned him face, he just turned Bland. His cocky attitude I used to love vanished like it never happened. His jokes became cheesy, the lines he say are almost the same, and the way he is booked is pretty bad. I cant blame the man, I like MVP, but its either he needs to man up or the creative needs to man up.

This is not just for MVP. This goes to almost all faces. I guess we just miss those bad ass faces we used to have in the past.

What to you guys think? Is it just me, or are does some of our faces need to keep their heel-ish characteristics?

Just my 10 cents. :)

Honestly, i think that it sucks with the faces that the "E" has made all of their faces almost exact duplicates of each other. I know that for me, and i'm not sure if anybody agrees with me or not, but i remember back in even 2000, 2001 there were faces that never had changed their characters from when they made the turn.
For example, we have Stone Cold Steve Austin where he was not afraid to take anything from anybody, he would go around whooping a can of whoop ass on people:lmao:, and stun people left and right, when you were least expecting it. IMO, that's what they need in todays generation of WWE.

I totally agree with this thread.

Back in the attitude era, there was the clear split between the face and the heel. On the face side, you had a badass like Stone Cold who was so popular because he was a badass, did what he wanted and had catchphrases the fans loved. When he turned heel, his persona didn't change, just his allegiences did.

You had guys like the Rock, pompus, arrogant, cocky but charasmatic. As a heel he was awesome, as a face he was awesome and again, he never changed his persona, just his allegiences.

Flash forward to today, you don't have the anti-hero anymore. You have guys like Cena, love him or hate him, he was an awesome heel. The rapper gimmick was fantastic and he pulled it off so well. Some of the heat he drew was phenomenal. Then the 'E turned him face, and slowly and his persona changed to that of a goofy jock, spouting the same boring catchphrases, which in the end, drew tiresome.

MVP is probably the most infuriating example of this too. His old heel character was awesome and he got over BECAUSE of this. You believed this guy was truely an ******** and he should have stayed this way when he turned face. Instead, he's all happy and laughing, slapping fans hands and a little dull. One particular example of why I now like MVP a lot less was when he lst the US title to Kofi Kingston. The dude RAISED HIS HAND and pointed at him as if to say "you're the man, I lost, nevermind". Fair enough, he probably shouldn't have laid him out, but just have the guy retreat to the back, THAT would have been more in character.

There is one thing however that we can blame for these types of heel, the PG era. The faces are supposed to be role models to kids, play by the rules, never give up, be respectful & loyal blah blah blah, like a true hero. Much akin to the pre-attitude era WWF as well I guess.

"Faces with heel characteristics" aren't faces, they are tweeners. The time of Stone Cold and The Rock was a different time. I liked The Attitude Era as much as the next guy, but I doubt it's coming back anytime soon. I realize that many people prefer anti-heroes to most of today's faces.... but a lot of people also like faces who are heroes and good role models. You guys have to remember that the WWE is trying to market to a different crowd than they were a decade ago. Some of us accepted that change and have remained fans. If you prefer faces that were more like Stone Cold or The Rock in that you want them to essentially remain the same when they turn heel, then you should be looking for tweeners to root for, not faces. The wrestler who came the closest was Randy Orton during last year's buildup for Wrestlemania, but he's still a heel and not a tweener. Both Stone Cold and The Rock were tweeners who became the top faces because they were so popular. My best advice to any of you who miss the anti-heroes is to find heels or tweeners to root for, and wait patiently for another attitude era to begin. It may be a while though.

I think that "true faces" have NO heel characteristics because the whole point of a face is to be a hero, a good guy. Hogan up until the nWo was a true face. Cena has been a true face since before he came to Raw. Some might disagree with me, but that's how I see it.

Oh yeah, you're not the only one. I can't stand half of the faces of today. We were spoiled back in the Attitude era. Now we just have a bunch of generic faces.

I like him as a performer, but I HATE Cena's charactor. It needs more of an edge to it. Doubt that would happen in the PG era. I'd love to see him turn heel before changing his face charactor, but he's making them WAY too much money. It would be fresh if he started doing badass heelish type things to get the title back.

DX may not be the typical generic faces, but they are more annoying than most of the faces IMO. Their comedy is horrible and their merchandise plugs are annoying.(I hear it's $10 for their damn glow sticks!) More heelish tactics would serve them well. And I'm not talking about H3 pedigreeing Hornswaggle. Damn, during that HHH/CENA/HBK Survivor Series fued, they weren't even acting heel at all towards him. A few heel charactoristics and I may be able to tolerate them more, but I hope they break up first.

Just about every other face in WWE is the same. You guys are right. They don't really need to change charactors all that much, everytime someone turns from heel/face. All I can hope for is when Edge comes back, maybe they'll let him keep some of his heel ways and still be a face.

"Faces with heel characteristics" aren't faces, they are tweeners. The time of Stone Cold and The Rock was a different time. I liked The Attitude Era as much as the next guy, but I doubt it's coming back anytime soon. I realize that many people prefer anti-heroes to most of today's faces.... but a lot of people also like faces who are heroes and good role models. You guys have to remember that the WWE is trying to market to a different crowd than they were a decade ago. Some of us accepted that change and have remained fans. If you prefer faces that were more like Stone Cold or The Rock in that you want them to essentially remain the same when they turn heel, then you should be looking for tweeners to root for, not faces. The wrestler who came the closest was Randy Orton during last year's buildup for Wrestlemania, but he's still a heel and not a tweener. Both Stone Cold and The Rock were tweeners who became the top faces because they were so popular. My best advice to any of you who miss the anti-heroes is to find heels or tweeners to root for, and wait patiently for another attitude era to begin. It may be a while though.

I think that "true faces" have NO heel characteristics because the whole point of a face is to be a hero, a good guy. Hogan up until the nWo was a true face. Cena has been a true face since before he came to Raw. Some might disagree with me, but that's how I see it.

i agree, pretty much what i was thinking. Rock and scsa are from a different time and the wwe has a different audience to go after.....

the tweener thing is something i really think the Miz will eventully be. he already has the whole crowd( who boo's ) chant "im awesome." Miz gets a few more catch phrases, he's going to turn by crowd reaction into a really entertaining face.

I'm not so sure that this is as big as a problem as is being made out. In the last few weeks, we have seen Rey Mysterio interfere in people's matches, and it is quite common to see faces use steel chairs etc. It's true that you don't have people like The Rock and Austin, and that would make me more inclined to like the faces, but in all honesty you have to have the man to fit that mould. They tried giving Cena an edge on Smackdown, and it bombed so badly that it didn't even make television. I think there are still people who are as heelish as all the other Attitude faces except for these two. As an aside, you quite often get people in these threads that talk about Hogan as if he was some butter wouldn't melt character. Compared to Austin, maybe, but don't forget that he cheated Sid Vicious, and maybe the Boss Man, I forget, out of Royal Rumbles, and he and face president Jack Tunney had strained relations.

i see randy orton as a tweener, i dont think he cares who he fights, heel face or tweener to him its all fair game, so i think he is probably the closest to a face with heel characteristics, and i hope soon he breaks off from legacy and just goes and does his own thing abit like stone cold, he was mostly a loner and went after who ever pissed him off, i think this is the best the route for randy

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back