• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I Miss Jack Tunney

The Brain

King Of The Ring
Am I the only one who is sick and tired of all the commissioners/general managers/guest hosts, etc. over the past seveal years? When is the last time WWE had an impartial authority figure? I think it goes all the way back to Jack Tunney or maybe, maybe Gorilla Monsoon. I think the days of the heel authority making life miserable for the top face are way beyond stale. It has never really made much sense anyway.

As I type this Batista just announced he had unlimited power on RAW. He could fire all three members of legacy if he wants to. Why doesn't he? What does he have to loose? I guess it wouldn't matter. Next week the new guest host would just hire them back. So if there is a new host every week the new one can just overturn the last's decisions? I don't see the point.

Austin trying to overcome Vince was different. It was unique. It was wildly popular. It even made some sense. Vince didn't want to fire Austin because he sold tickets, sold merchandise, and brought in high ratings. However, he had such personal hatred toward Austin that he didn't want Austin to be his champion. This was a good angle throughout 1998 and got better with the Rock as the corporate champion. This angle should have ended at WrestleMania XV. Here we are ten years later and the same thing is going on. Bischoff trying to screw Cena. Heyman trying to screw Lesnar. Vince trying to screw Shawn. Vicki trying to screw Taker. And on and on and on. You could even argue that Teddy Long was out to screw JBL and MVP.

I know as wrestling fans we have to use what I call "wrestling logic." This is the kind of logic that doesn't punish someone with a fine or suspension for kicking the chairman in the head. Instead he has to settle it in the ring, which is his job anyway. Despite my knowledge of "wrestling logic" I am tired of trying to make sense of the heel authority figure. I'm not one of the people who is going to say "I'm done watching WWE. The product today is horrible." I'm not done and it's not horrible. I just wish this played out storyline would be done.

I miss Jack Tunney. You would see him once a year, if that, when something very controversial was going on. You could argue he didn't always make the right decision, but he didn't play favorites and wasn't out to screw anybody. Besides the heel authority figure just comes off as lazy booking. Same story with a revolving door as to who's involved. Time to come up with some new original ideas for the main event feuds.

You couldn't be more right.

And another problem brought up in another thread a month ago or so, is that not only is the concept of having a General Manager outdated, but it could very well be detrimental to getting guys over.

This is another case where "less is more".

The problem is that the GM's are authority figures and designed to help get people over. But it seems to be having virtually no effect. And the reason is because the GM's are on TV every single week on each show, and they are entirely too over-exposed. So, that means that each time a GM appears on TV with a talent, the audience simply goes "Ho Hum. Boring". Because it is done every single week.

The GM's should be used a Hell of a lot more sparingly.

And I don't think going back to one neutral WWE President is necessarily a bad idea at all. I recommended Shane McMahon for the position when I was arguing this a couple months ago.

EDIT: Did Batista really just say that "he has unlimited power and could fire Legacy if he wants?" How utterly idiotic. Like you said, then why doesn't he? He's got absolutely nothing to lose. Stupid.

(I am boycotting Raw indefinitely once again for Vince ending the Trump angle after only giving it a one week chance, so I didn't catch Batista say that. Horrendous.)

I've shared this opinion since Bischoff was fired. I didn't mind Eric Bischoff as Raw GM because, well.. he was damn good at it. But once he left the company, I've always thought no one would top him, so fuck doing this heel GM shit, just go back to the Jack Tunney days. You know, back to the good ol' days when the presidents or commissioners were simply there to keep order, and weren't causing trouble for all the good guys. They didn't try to keep the belt off of the top babyface. They didn't make ******ed matches that made zero sense from a business stand point. They always made decisions that was filled with integrity and was truly best for everyone involved, including the fans. That's what WWE needs to go back to, definitely.

I agree with you completley. Why don't we have a president like Gorilla Monsoon or a heel like Bischoff was with NWO. That was some great television. Even when Vader vaderbombed Gorilla I remember thinking you can't do that he's the president! A guest host is like a substitute teacher, no one gives a damn about them. It is cool that next week is Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase.

You know i been watching WWF/E sence I was 2 -3 years old and now I am 27 years old the Product now and the GM's and this new '' Guest Host '' is just fuckin stupid and I too miss Mr. Tunny like someone said before you only seen him maybe once or twice a year and that was great that was WRESTLING but now a days its just a shadow of what WWE Use to be man i remember The '' Press Confrence'' of Hogan/ Andre for WrestleMaina III and it just some '' Media '' Tunny Bobby Heenen Andre and Hogan thats it but heres another thing I really miss and people may think iam crazy or what not but I miss seenin The Red White and Blue ring ropes they really need to bring those back but any way back to what I was saying the product now is gettin really old really fast Raw cant keep a GM for more then 6 years Hey Bravo WWE at least TNA has one and that is J E F F J A R R E T T. if kids are reading this go on you youtube or Wikipedia and type in the name Jack Tunny he was and always will be The Face of WWF and like what someone else said now all the gm's you see every damn week iam getin sick of it it makes no sence what so ever heres a thought Vince you run Raw Steph runs Smackdown Shane Runs ECW then you wont have to find new people to be the gms of the shows

Wow...to even KNOW the name Jack Tunney is truely showing your age..but I digress. The GM has been a joke for ages now. When Teddy Long got the job I cringed...Dance around..holla holla...playa...YAWN. The GM idea was novel for about a month. The last really believable one was Gorilla Monsoon as the so called President.

I just can't stomach WWE anymore. Maybe its my age and a yearning for the "golden years" but WWE doesn't hold my attention anymore. I want it to...but its so stale. Now...put the Million Dollar Man in charge long term...maybe you have some potential. Couldn't be any worse than Vicky or that Adamale...however you spell it...guy.

Wow...to even KNOW the name Jack Tunney is truely showing your age..but I digress. The GM has been a joke for ages now. When Teddy Long got the job I cringed...Dance around..holla holla...playa...YAWN. The GM idea was novel for about a month. The last really believable one was Gorilla Monsoon as the so called President.

I just can't stomach WWE anymore. Maybe its my age and a yearning for the "golden years" but WWE doesn't hold my attention anymore. I want it to...but its so stale. Now...put the Million Dollar Man in charge long term...maybe you have some potential. Couldn't be any worse than Vicky or that Adamale...however you spell it...guy.

Exactly, bringing up the name of Jack Tunney is going to confuse 3/4 of the people on here. The gold old days where wrestlers wrestled and the announcer(s) told you why or what they were wrestling for. Then once in a blue moon jack tunney, J.J Dillion or Bil Watts would come down and explain things when it was warranted.

He's been gone long enough for me to no longer miss him. But I liked how he was sued. It's probably why I like Teddy Long. He appears more than he should. But he doesn't take up too much TV time. He does his shit then leaves.

Too much of a good thing I suppose, Heel GM's are a good thing but they are overdone, I'll give credit to Vickie Guerrero, she at least had a reason for being the heel GM that she was, she was also very good at it.

Face GM's are good but pointless in the end, if the power is in the hands of the good guys then where's the fun gone? A travesty has just happened but here comes Teddy Long to put things right and shove Edge in another title match.

You know who came the closest to a nuetral GM who didnt take up too much TV time? Mike Adamle, he was actually pretty decent, maybe it is time for another guy who just goes out there and does what's best for business and what's fair, instead of people with their own vendetta's etc.

All that being said it doesnt bother me too much, it's just an interesting thing to talk about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back