• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I hate the idea of wrestler's "bodyguards"

johnbragg

Championship Contender
I think it reduces the credibility of the star wrestler. This is wrestling, a (pretend) contact combat sport. If someone is a star pro wrestler, how do they need a big bouncer type to physically protect them?

Second, if the bodyguard is also a wrestler, it always bugs me that there's never a really good explanation of why he's serving as the star's lackey, if he's tougher than the star. Sometimes there's a vague reference to money, but usually they just hope we don't think about it. They could give an explanation that the star wrestler is training the younger bodyguard, in return for backup and interference etc. That would help, at least.

This was sparked by the Morrison thread, where someone suggested bringing back Mercury as his bodyguard. Someone scoffed at a wrestler's bodyguard being smaller than the wrestler. I've never liked the bodyguard story in the first place.

This is different than having an entourage of nameless security guys. (I think TNA's MEM had a team like this) That's a way to put over a heel or arrogant face wrestler as being a big diva star celebrity--he doesn't need the security guys really, but he gets it because he's that big a star. Those guys aren't really protecting the World Champion, they're protecting his suit from getting dirty. That's different. That makes sense.

Really, I don't see a problem with it. It's more or less the equivalent to having a stable with a large guy as the enforcer. Like Evolution had Batista, etc. Bodyguards are usually just an enforcer who hang with one wrestler instead of a group. 9 times out of 10 it's simply a way for a new wrestler to get some face time before getting a push into the actual competition. And I don't think there's ever been a bodyguard character serving a non-heel wrestler. So usually it's just another way to boost heel tactics. It's just part of wrestling.

I brought up Mercury because he was rumored to make a return "bodyguard" was a bad term I just think if they wanted Mercury to get over this time they would need him to ride Morrisons coattails and be his "sidekick/lackey" along with Melina returning to his side. Morrison could make it into the mainevent easier if he was a heel using a mix of his MNM gimmick with his Morrison gimmick

As far as bodyguards go I think it helps establish some monsters into the WWE without making them look to generic. Kevin Nash made a name for himself as a bodyguard, Big Zeke was given a chance to grow through The Brian Kendrick and Even Batista started out as Deacon Batista serving Dvon Dudley and later as the muscle for Evolution

The whole point of a bodyguard is to have a fresh take on a heel wrestler. If you notice, it's never the large athletes that have bodyguards, it's always the small weaselly guys who have bodyguards. If a guy doesn't look like he should win a match, but still does, then it garners him some good heat with the crowd. "Needing" a bodyguard only reinforces the fact that the heel shouldn't win matches.

There's nothing with wrestlers having bodyguards especially since its the smaller stature type wrestlers who have them more ofter than not. Kendrick had Jackson as his bodyguard and that seemed to go well for the short term. You can kind of say that Big Show is Jericho's bodyguard. You can get good heat from the crowd by using your bodyguard and there's nothing wrong with good heat.

Sometimes it makes sense. JBL's cabinet, were clearly paid. Team Angle, were being trained by Angle. Bam Neely was emplyed to protect Chavo by Vickie, etc.

But Kendrick/Jackon, never made any sense.

I admit that I am the one who scoffed at the idea of the bodyguard being smaller than the wrestler. But whether you like the idea of a bodyguard or not, is that not the truth? I never said I liked the idea either, I was just replying to the Morrison thread that it could work for him... way down the line if he turned heel. A question was asked, and I gave my opinion.

Bodyguard types have always been used for "chickenshit" type heels. It draws great heat, because the crowd hears the guy talking all big and tough, and then he can't even back up his own words. Makes you really hate a guy, right?

In the case that was first mentioned in that other thread, it was Shawn Michaels. When Nash came in to the WWF, he had been in WCW with the most terrible gimmicks. I don't think they ever intended him to be a big star and definitely not a champion. But that role, along with Kev's personality and their chemistry together, provided a new star in an era when they were needed. Hmm, we don't need any new stars today, do we?

Well lets see. Say you were an unknown actor trying to break into the buisness for example. You run into Brad Pitt one day and he tells you that you can hang around with him as long as you do all his dirty jobs for him. Now while watching him act you notice you are a much better actor than he is. You still hang around with him just to get your name out there. This is the basis of the bodyguard charachter in wrestling most of the time. Just to prove my point if you notice the majority of bodyguards usually turn on the guy they have been helping and go on to be huge faces for awhile once they have established their name. While Kendrick was never pushed like most IWC fans would have liked he is still a well known name in wrestling. Ezekiel hasnt got much personality yet, not that wonderful in the ring, not really anything special honestly, but we all no his name. Why because he was the big guy who hung around Kendrick. Anyway my favorite bodyguard ever was when Big Bubba Rogers a.k.a The Big Bossman used to run around protecting Jim Cornette. Nash is probably the most famous guy ever who started in a bodyguard role though. As far as a little bodyguard I honestly dont see how that could work. I would imagine he would have to more of the guys lacky and fall guy as opposed to his bodyguard. I thought Mercury was pretty good. I actually rember at one time people thought he would be the star coming out of the team, but I think he had some Wellness problems or something. I hope if he does come back they actually do something usefull with him

The bodyguard thing is hit or miss in general. It sure didn't hurt Shawn Michaels to have a couple body guards during his mid card career. It also gave a Kevin Nash a pretty solid foundation in the WWF, and we all saw how he turned out [I loved Nash in the 90s.] I think the thing about a wrestler having a bodyguard has a lot to do with timing. If it works, you can't keep them around too long, then you're right, it'll damage a guys credibility. I've always thought Morrison was a good candidate to have a bodyguard. If the WWE found the right guy to do it. It's a good way to build two guys, if you think about it. First, bringing the bodyguard in creates a bit of a stir, then when the two guys split, it builds a new program for the two. Diesel/HBK was obviously the best case scenario.

It can give some great heat to the wrestler in question who is usually a small heel guy. Take Kendrick in 08 for example. He didn't look as if he could win a match against some of the guys he was wrestling and was supposed to be a cocky young heel. So, they brought in Jackson to accompany him to the ring to interfere or beat up his opponent after the match.

I think it works, but as I said, only really in the situations like Kendrick was. A smaller cocky heel wrestler. It can work, definatley.

I think that the bodyguard thing works just fine. As far as I am concerned they are essentially monster heels except without the boring squash matches and shitty mic skills...

The bodyguard angle is one of the better ones in wrestling. The fan is supposed to believe that the face is the best and that he cannot be beaten fairly. They are supposed to believe that the heel is weak and that they cannot win without cheating. The bodyguard angle lets the fans know that for all he says, the heel isn't as good as the face he is feuding and is afraid of him. Evil people in all literature always have henchmen, because it makes them an all together more fightening prospect.

I think it reduces the credibility of the star wrestler. This is wrestling, a (pretend) contact combat sport. If someone is a star pro wrestler, how do they need a big bouncer type to physically protect them?

This is a "contact sport", but it is without divisions, or weight limits or any such thing, also its just as likely that you are going to "beat down" in the back as you are in the ring, with little or no consequences from management.

Can you imagine if you applied these rule sets to Boxing Where a Heavy weight could go into the back and beat on a Feather weight because he was pissed off.

(Think of CM Punk against Jimmy Wang Yang at Backlash...I know there isn’t a big weight difference between the two of them but credibility wise there is)

All the Smaller Boxers would go out and "hire" an unknown heavy weight to watch their back, sure you run the risk of being backstabbed, but better a chance of getting stabbed by your own guy some day down the road, than getting beat down that night by Mike Tyson.

If I was someone like Jackson, and a tiny Wrestler wanted to hire me to watch his back (Kayfabe wise) I'd jump at the chance to get into the business, as I'm sure most of the IWC would :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back