I Am Disappoint: Games That Let You Down

Sean Valjean

Lets Bitch About This Thing We Love
There are games that we anticipate that end up delivering far past their expectations. And then there are those games fall flat on their face and become both a waste of money and your time. We’ve all experienced the burn of a less-than-stellar game that you thought would be awesome. Here’s a look at some games that disappointed me so much they caused me to question the very concept of a God and I’d like you to share your personal tales of gaming heartbreak as well. Let's cry on each other's shoulders, shall we?

Batman Forever

batmanforever-1.jpg

I love Batman, especially as a kid. Anything based on the caped crusader could do no wrong in my eyes. That’s probably why I enjoyed another disappointment in Batman Forever. After seeing that movie I just had to get the game. A friend of mine let me borrow his cartridge so I didn’t have to beg my parents to buy me one. Good thing too, as they likely would’ve spanked me and probably my Genesis too for making them spend their money on such a colossal piece of doo doo.

The game looks promising a first glance. It’s dark and captures the atmosphere of the movie. The Mortal Kombat-style digitized actors were a treat as I felt like I was playing the movie. Another element borrowed from MK was the combat. Batman fought and controlled exactly like a character in that series. He could do the upper cut, do a series of high punches, and do roundhouse kicks, the whole schemer. Makes sense as they borrowed the MK engine to make this game, which is just unfit for a side-scrolling adventure game. Attacks aren’t quick enough, you can’t run and you have to stay still in order to attack at all. There were times when you were swamped with enemies but since the MK fighting style wasn’t made for taking on multiple foes at once, Batman would get his bat-ass royally handed to him.

Another problem was odd button layout. Commands were mapped to tedious button combinations so it was always a process to do perform even the simplest of task. I vividly remember being stuck very early on because of making it to a room whose only exit was a hole in the ceiling. It was too high to jump through, so you had to use your grappling hook. Thing was, none of the buttons worked. I hit every obvious button but got no grappling hook. It was only after a few days of just giving up and starting again that I hit the Select button by accident and the grappling hook worked. Huh? Why would you map something as important as that to the Select button? Who would think to push that for anything other than a menu or map?

Despite its sucktitude, I actually got pretty far in this game before giving it back to my friend. That had to do with persistence and denial, since my love of Batman wouldn’t allow me to acknowledge this game as the hot garbage that it was. I didn’t know it at the time, but this game would only serve as a precursor to my next let down.

Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero

MKSubZero.jpg

Let it be known that I am a massive Mortal Kombat fan and the peak of my fandom was in the mid 90’s, when this little gem was announced. A Mortal Kombat adventure game starring one of my favorite characters sounded like absolute gold to me and I couldn’t wait to play it. However, when it released I didn’t have the funds to purchase it but luckily (and I mean that both ways) a buddy of mine was able to pick it up. Bursting with excitement, I eagerly went to his house to experience what would be one of the biggest disappointments in my gaming life.

The controls in this game were atrocious. Everything felt stiff and awkward. As with the case in Batman Forever, the MK Engine does not work in side-scrollers. Enemies would just rush on screen and immediately greet you with a swift kick to the face. We died so many times because we’d get sandwiched by opponents and weren’t able to turn around to face anyone coming from the back. Turns out you have to hit a button just to turn around. Apparently Sub-Zero is the least nimble ninja in history as his stiffness resulted in some of the most god-awful platforming I’ve ever experienced. Boss fights were traditional one-on-one battles but were somehow worse than they’d be in a proper MK game. When we finally passed the first level about an hour and a half later, we were “rewarded” with the now infamous live-action cutscenes that look like they were shot in Ed Boon’s basement.

We must’ve looked so sad playing that gameoji. We really tried to like it, but as time went on we realized what a load this game was. Sub-Zero had frozen our little hearts and shattered them like an enemy combatant. This would be the first in a line of games that would diminish my love for the series (Special Forces and, to an extent, MK 4) that wouldn’t be rekindled until Deadly Alliance.

Superman 64

superman64-1.jpg

Well burn my house and steal my car, to call this game a disappointment is like calling PSN moderately insecure (Obligatory Sony burn. Couldn't resist). I've never been much of a Superman fan. However, I loved the 90’s animated series so the announcement of a game based on it got me pumped up. I never owned an N64. I went for the Playstation instead and was thoroughly happy with that decision. There were only a handful of games that ever made me envious of N64 owners: Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye 007 and Superman 64.

The magazine previews I read made this game seem amazing. I remember the epic commercial for it. After seeing Superman fly through the air and use all his powers my only thoughts were “That’s fucking Superman on N64!” and “Why isn’t this on Playstation?!” Seriously, look at this commercial. How did any kid’s head not explode watching this?

Again, the same friend who bought MK Mythologies ponied up the cash for this game as well. So again, we got together but with a few more friends this time though and excitedly popped this piece of crap in. If you aren’t familiar with this game, you basically start with Lex Luthor capturing Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen and the only way to save them is to solve his puzzles. By puzzle he means flying through a series of rings. That’s it. There’s no tutorial either. They just drop your now allowance-less ass in the game and say “Make This Happen, Bro”. Oh and there’s a time limit too. So you have to figure out the controls and fly through a lengthy course of rings within about 2 minutes. It also doesn’t help that Superman controls like a flying gorilla or that if you miss just one ring, you have to start all over again. Why they thought this would be a good way to start the game boggles my mind. And when did Lex Luthor becoming the damn Riddler anyway?

My friends and I all took turns trying to figure it out. We came back for two days straight just trying to get past that first section but never could. In fact, I didn’t even get to see the rest of the game until I saw walkthroughs of it on Youtube a few years ago. We ridiculed our buddy for wasting his allowance on such a horrible game and I think that’s the last time we got together to play a game at his house ever again.

Devil May Cry 2

devilmaycry2.jpg

When I first played the original Devil May Cry I was floored. The stylish gameplay, epic boss fights and the cool protagonist made for a good time despite its blistering difficulty. I could not wait to get my hands on the sequel. I didn’t have my crappy game testing friend anymore so this was a disappointment I invested my own money in.

The common phrase that kept popping up while playing this game was “What Happened?” The first thing I noticed was how different Dante was. Gone was the confident, wise-cracking badass, replaced by a gloomy, quiet and monotone Dante. The gameplay was somewhat intact, but the difficulty was lowered to accommodate kindergartens. The only real challenge came from the terrible camera angles, which either obscured or left out enemies entirely on screen which, resulting in some cheap damage. I remember a fight against a helicopter where the thing wasn’t on screen at all. You were just shooting blindly above hoping to land a hit. The only awesome thing was this new wall run that Dante had. That was seriously the most entertaining part of the gameplay as I kept doing that over and over because the awesome visual. Does it also hurt that Lucile’s story was more fun to play than Dante’s?

The story didn’t make a lick of sense and had one of the weakest antagonists I’ve ever seen. The original Devil May Cry isn’t a narrative masterpiece either, but at least I knew what was happening. From what I remember, you had to stop some corporate dude’s company from taking over the world. This guy was a demon (or something) and I also remember fighting a building. Yeah, I didn’t get it back then either. All and all this game isn’t as big a flop as the others I mentioned. Though compared to its predecessor, it’s a big step down.

Smackdown vs Raw 2008

Smackdown.jpg

As a wrestling fan, games based on the subject have long been a staple in all of my game libraries. SvR 07 in particular was great. My brother, friend, and I spent hours having what are now considered legendary triple threat matches in the annals of my living room.

My biggest gripe with this game was its Fighting Style system and how horribly imbalanced it was. High Flyers were too weak while Powerhouses were demi-gods. Hardcore wrestlers got weapon bonuses and a second wind after being busted open which was worthless in some matches. Submission wrestlers could get you to tap without any chance to fight back even if the move in question wasn’t a finisher. It was clear which one was better than the other and you could be at a severe disadvantage if you matched up against the wrong opponent type. And it would have nothing to do with your actual skill as a player. A high flyer against a powerhouse was more or less screwed and a hardcore wrestler in a normal single’s match couldn’t even take advantage of their perks.

This made the game, for us anyway, almost unplayable. I haven’t bought a Smackdown vs Raw since then. While I have played and enjoyed the other since then, I just haven’t had it in me to purchase a new one. Maybe one day that’ll change.

Resident_Evil_5_Box_Artwork.jpg

Let me first be clear that this game isn't total crap, like a few of Sean's choices. I actually had a fairly decent time playing through co-op with my brother, though we didn't beat it by the end of our rental period (game rentals... seems like so long ago). But my expectations for this game were colossal. The previous installment, number 4, was and still is one of my all-time favorite games and reignited my love for survival horror. This game was not a survival horror game. As an action game, it's alright, but there's just no real fright or tenseness in this game. No feeling of helplessness. No being cautious about every corner you turn. This was not the Resident Evil I grew up with.

I never Played SvR 2007 (Is it on 360?) but i enjoyed 2008 alot better than 2011 and 2009.

The Game that let me down was Crackdown 2. When i got my first 360 (had 2 since) Crackdown 1 was the first game i got and enjoyed it. Then i waited for the 2nd game and i convinced my friends to invest in the game. What a mistake i made. There were no additions from the first one really. It was repetitive and annoying the multiplayer was atrocious and the only good side was the achievements i collected all 500 agility orbs lol (took an hour to find last one lol)

I never Played SvR 2007 (Is it on 360?) but i enjoyed 2008 alot better than 2011 and 2009.

Dude? I can understand 2008 and 09 but 2011 was the best svr to date you can do mostly every thing in that game only thing im mad they didn't put in was throwing people off the stage or going inside the crowd like the let you do in 2007

But anyway the most disapointing game I ever played was svr 2009 because it was boring the season mode was wack and not a lot of moves the only real good thing was the road to wrestlemania's.

I found the backstage stuff repetitive (time machine was cool) i liked the ladders like if you suplex someone the ladder doesnt move away. Maybe i just found the ladder matches too dificult? Still have 2010 though lol

I found the backstage stuff repetitive (time machine was cool) i liked the ladders like if you suplex someone the ladder doesnt move away. Maybe i just found the ladder matches too dificult? Still have 2010 though lol

Yeah svr 2010 was the start of something great in the svr series

A disappointing game for me was Super Mario Sunshine. I was expecting a fun new Mario game that could take what made Mario 64 good and make it even better. Not quite. Instead I got one of the most frustrating platformers I have ever played. Granted it had some fun moments like that huge stingray boss and getting to use Yoshi. However, I spent most of the game fighting terrible camera angles and complicated controls. I gave it a second chance a couple of years ago, and it wasn't as bad but still rather frustrating. It is terrible for Mario standards. While it isn't anywhere near being the WORST game I have ever played, it's definitely one of the games that as disappointed me the most compared to what it had the potential to be due to those annoying controls and awful camera angles.

I can say that Resident Evil 5 was a disappointment, considering that it's not really a Survival-Horror game like the past RE games, but I can come up with something that was a way bigger letdown that RE5.

wbf879.jpg

I thought this game was going to be the hottest summer action game of 2010, but WTF...

The graphics were shit, the online multiplayer was pathetic, and the fucking campaign was at least 4 HOURS LONG!!!. What kind of sequel, to an interesting story, has a campaign that lasts 4 fucking hours and that has a SHITTY ENDING?!!!.

I traded in the shit out of this game and let me tell you, Eidos and IO Interactive have ruined Kane and Lynch's potential of being a major franchise in the video game industry. Don't bother buying this game, even if it's cheap. Just have it be a quick rental and move on to something better. What a waste of $60 this game was for me..

A disappointing game for me was Super Mario Sunshine. I was expecting a fun new Mario game that could take what made Mario 64 good and make it even better. Not quite. Instead I got one of the most frustrating platformers I have ever played. Granted it had some fun moments like that huge stingray boss and getting to use Yoshi. However, I spent most of the game fighting terrible camera angles and complicated controls. I gave it a second chance a couple of years ago, and it wasn't as bad but still rather frustrating. It is terrible for Mario standards. While it isn't anywhere near being the WORST game I have ever played, it's definitely one of the games that as disappointed me the most compared to what it had the potential to be due to those annoying controls and awful camera angles.

For the first time ever, I disagree with Dagger.

You bring up valid points, Dagger. However, I refute some of them. To be honest, I really didn't think that the controls were too complicated. If I remember correctly, it was a bit different, but it was nothing that you couldn't get used to.

I somewhat agree about the camera angles. There would be times where you'd be on a platform, and the camera would try to zoom in on you but get stuck behind a wall. That could make for some frustration, but moving the C-Stick helped a bit for me.

I don't think it's terrible for Mario standards. In fact, I think it's the best Mario game to come out for Gamecube. Plus, up until the Galaxy series came out, I thought that it was the best Mario game of the last decade. It was most certainly interesting, and the missions were fun to play. It obviously wasn't intended to be like Mario 64, but to me, it was still a very good game.

I somewhat agree about the camera angles. There would be times where you'd be on a platform, and the camera would try to zoom in on you but get stuck behind a wall. That could make for some frustration, but moving the C-Stick helped a bit for me.

There were several times when moving the C-Stick was of no help. The camera drove me insane in that game. While you are correct that the controls could be learned (eventually) the camera was the true villain in that game, not Bowser. (Not really, but anyone who played the game would understand)

I don't think it's terrible for Mario standards. In fact, I think it's the best Mario game to come out for Gamecube. Plus, up until the Galaxy series came out, I thought that it was the best Mario game of the last decade. It was most certainly interesting, and the missions were fun to play. It obviously wasn't intended to be like Mario 64, but to me, it was still a very good game.

It was a decent game and I do have some fond memories of it (facing that Stingray boss over and over again to name one) but it was not the best Mario game on Gamecube. That award goes to Paper Mario 2 in my opinion. It disappointed me not due to being a terrible game, but instead by not living up to expectations. Mario 64 had been successful. I heard about the soon to be released Mario Sunshine which would be similar but with more of a beach theme. I got it and was excited, but grew very disappointed by the frustating camera angles and how difficult it could be at times. The controls took a long time to get used to and it did not have much replay value. I almost skipped out on Mario Galaxy after Sunshine disappointed me so much. Luckily I didn't or else I would have missed out on an amazing gaming experience, but that's a topic for another thread. Anyway, just wanted to clarify that my disappointment came from the game not being able to live up to the hype rather than it being a terrible game because it did have some good points to it, just fell so short of what it should have been.

COD Black-Ops. Especially because of the offline multiplayer. If you don't have the internet on your Ps3, etc. As soon as you get into it you can't make weapon classes, change game rules, weapons are pretty dodgy (in my opinion), there's no new attachments apart from the flamethrower which was pretty good, shotguns are primary weapons, no title or emblems, graphics are generic, most weapons have gotten weaker from the previous CODS, Not many great secret/ glitch spots. Therefore I suggest you to buy Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 any time. I hope that if you're new to the Call Of Duty series and an off-line player that you take my advice and buy Modern Warfare 2 not Black-Ops.

Oh boy do I have the perfect example of a disappointing game. I remember when the Wii was released. My friend and I went to Best Buy at midnight (Probably, I can't remember) and he bought a Wii along with the most hyped game at the time (I can think of) for the system: Red Steel. What could be cooler than using a controller as a sword or a gun? Turns out a lot of things could be cooler if you're comparing it with this game. Staring at the wall for instance. The movements in the game were so touchy and the controls seemed to glitch like crazy. It was nothing like the play through videos the creators had been showing people and the hype quickly dissipated for the game. I remember Red Steel 2 came out a while back. I didn't even bother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back