Games No One Played

The Doctor

Great and Devious
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hello, everyone, to a thread which might become a series, or get merged into another thread. We’ll see what happens. The name of this series/individual post is Games No One Played.

For our first game that No One Has Played (except me, and Lee, and some other guy, and my brother) I give you…

MISCHIEF MAKERS
Mischief%20Makers%20(U).jpg

What it Was:
Mischief Makers was a great little two-dimensional platformer for the Nintendo 64. The main character was Marina Liteyears, a robot who lives with her creator, Prof. Theo. They go to Planet Clancer, where Theo gets captured. Other stuff happens, too, but that's the gist of it.
Marina’s main method of attack was grabbing and throwing. Shaking was also a major part of the game. Marina would shake Clancers (The residents of Planet Clancer), Clanballs, Clanpots, Clanguns… Yeah, lots of Clans in this game.
Anyway, the game was known for its shaking and grabbing mechanic, and it was quite a good gimmick. Many puzzles involved throwing things (or Clancers) in the right places, or shaking balls (stop laughing) to create items, or throwing yourself around. One memorable level made you shake Clanballs in order to get new ones to appear in just the right sequence, causing an entrance to stop warping you back in time. It’s kind of confusing to explain, but believe me, it was a good level.

Review
I will be using the American grading system for reviews because it is accurate and widely recognized. For those unaware of how it works, A+ is the best grade, F is the worst. There is no E. My reviews will tackle graphics, gameplay, story (if applicable), sound, and longevity.

Graphics: B+
The graphics in Mischief Makers are a combination of sprites, hand drawn backgrounds, 3D objects, and illustrations. The sprites are detailed enough, but the 3D-shaded style may turn some gamers off. They look simultaneously realistic but cartoonish, particularly in the case of Theo, Leo, Marina, and Migen Jr. Tis clash of styles takes a little getting used to. It’s not unpleasant, just odd, and I part of the reason the grade gets knocked down.
The backgrounds are either 3D, or hand-drawn. Both are fantastic looking. The 3D background in the ‘Vertigo!’ level especially looks good as the moving platforms go in and out of the invisible wall. The hand-drawn backgrounds are also nice, bright, and colorful.
Overall the graphics are extremely good-looking, though the various styles used may cause some gamers to get distracted or confused.

Gameplay: A
Here is an area where Mischief Makers really shines. Along with the standard plat former gameplay (which has that fun grabbing gimmick added to it), you occasionally get miniboss fights that take place on single platforms, two side scrolling shooter levels, and even a level where you have to participate in several minigames like the Longjump, 100m Dash, or ‘Math fun’ (You solve math problems. Joy.). The gameplay is interesting and diverse, and really a lot of fun. I never got bored with it. The game gives you many challenges, and I was happy to meet them as they came.

Story: B
The story is your basic fare (Someone gets captured, main character has to save him) but it goes far deeper than that. The characterization and dialogue is spot-on, humorous and fun. It may be just putting a new coat of paint over an old story, but it’s done so well that it really doesn’t matter.

Sound: C
Ah, now here’s an issue. The sound falls into the category of “either you love it or you hate it”. Being a fan of ambient electronic music, I loved the soundtrack to pieces. However, I have to rate it Average just because it is so polarizing. The voice work, however, is top notch. Different characters get different dialogue beeps to differentiate between them, and spoken lines come in at the perfect times (Bosses taunt you while fighting, Marina screaming “STOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!”, etc.). Marina also gets to scream when she throws and kicks, or goes “Ouch” when she gets hurt. These may seem like nothing now, but back then these were almost unheard of in 2D plat formers. The little voice work that is there is extremely good, the music is memorable one way or another, and the sound effects are inoffensive.

Longevity: A+
If there was a higher score than A+, I would give it out right here. While the main game is of normal length, the time spent getting all the gold gems in order to get the perfect ending extends the shelf life a hundred fold. Trying to get S ranks is another way of really making this game long. While this may seem like fake difficulty, it never feels that way. The methods used to get the gold gems are sometimes ingenious, sometimes painfully obscure. Thank God for GameFAQs is all I must say. Despite this, I never felt weary of playing this game (except for maybe trying to get the gold gem in ‘The Day Of…’). I only just got the final gold gem a few years ago. That’s right, it took me seven years to totally complete the game. And it was fun.

Overall: A
Mischief Makers was an absolute blast. I never felt extremely frustrated during the main parts of the game, and the boss fights are an absolute blast. I was constantly in marvel at its originality and ingenuity. Throw in good sound, story, and a really long gameplay experience, and you have a top-notch game.

Why No One Played It:
A reason Mischief Makers wasn’t a runaway success was because it was a two-dimensional game that came at a time when we were spoiled by full 3D games on the Nintendo 64. I remember reading people writing into Nintendo Power and bashing it, saying that “if they wanted to play a plat former, they’d just hook up their Super Nintendo”. That, combined with a lack of advertising, made this game unfortunately fall under the radar of the public. It’s a damn shame, really, because it was (no pun intended) a gem of a game. We may have seen a portable version or a sequel by now, but it just wasn’t meant to be. Hopefully they’ll release it on the Virtual Console so more people can enjoy it, as it’s quite rare today. It’s well worth the $10 you’ll spend should they decide to release it on the VC.

Well, that’s the end of thread number one. Join us next time where I discuss the sandbox game for Playstation 2, Steambot Chronicles!
Bye!

[size=-3]P.S. I apologize for my lack of coherence in this post. I wrote it late at night/early in the morning and kept getting distracted by TV Tropes. My next one will be better, worry not.[/size]

Welcome back, one and all, to Games No One Played. Because of the overwhelming response to my other one, detailing the lost platformer Mischief Makers, I’ve decided to create another one!
What if there was a game where you could build a giant robot, play in a band, date a pirate, and become a terrorist, all while being referred to as “Barefoot Stalker”? Well, this next game just might be the answer to your prayers.

STEAMBOT CHRONICLES
771675-steambot_chronicles_coverart_large.png

What It Was:
Steambot Chronicles was a sandbox game developed by Atlas for the Playstation 2. It detailed the story of Vanilla, an amnesiac who washes up on a beach. He is found by a girl called Coriander (“Connie”). This may seem like a cookie-cutter start, but it’s actually an interesting way to explain the game’s main hook: In almost every dialogue you have multiple options of what you want to say. You can make Vanilla a giant asshole or the nicest guy around. Or, you can go in between. The choices are yours.
Anyway, after that, you find a giant robot on the beach, go to a city, join a band, and get sucked into a huge adventure. Great fun.
The amount of customization in this game was incredible. While most of it (Vanilla’s clothes, hairstyles) was mostly aesthetic with minor effects on conversations, the various weapons you can get for your Trotmobile each have their own attack, speed, and look. You can get swords or guns. There are also other parts that do other things, like grilles that make people give you money, or tank treads instead of feet. Depending on your look and actions, you occasionally get nicknames (“Naughty Stalker”, “Starving Terrorist”, and “Snobbish Clock” were a few of my more memorable ones.). You can also change the colors and name of your Trotmobile, but that is just for fun.

Review
Graphics: C
The graphics in Steambot Chronicles aren’t bad, just forgettable. The giant robots (“Trotmobiles“) look extremely nice, but the art style, while not ugly, isn’t anything special. The locales between cities are good for what they are, and the cities themselves (All five of them) are interesting and unique. However, the graphics are nothing to shout about. They’re nice, but that’s about it.

Gameplay: A-
The game has three basic control methods, named after where you use them: On Foot, Trotmobile, and Playing An Instrument.
On Foot: On foot, you use one analogue stick to move Vanilla and another to move the camera. Basic stuff. You can also talk to people and possibly make decisions of what you want to say by picking from a menu when it pops up. They are basic controls that work well.
Trotmobile: In a town, you control your giant robot by selecting a destination from a menu. However, it’s on the battlefield where things get hairy. The R1 and L1 buttons control your weapons on either arm, while each analogue stick controls a leg. It’s this that turns a lot of people off of this game. I personally never had a problem with it, but many did, complaining about not being able to move fast enough to keep up with the enemy Trotmobiles. This could make or break the game for you if you can’t get used to the control scheme as a lot of the game is spent in your Trotmobile, fighting.
Playing An Instrument: Each instrument controls differently. Harmonica (your starting instrument) plays like your generic PaRappa The Rapper-esque rhythm game, but others have different method of control, and some (The Accordion) are completely bloody impossible to play. Find an instrument you’re comfortable with and you should be fine.
Occasionally, Vanilla gets hungry, All that happens when you go to the “hungry” or “starving” mode is that you run slowly and annoying noises play when you play your instrument. Each item o food improves your hunger status, and there are five stages. It’s best to just buy a load of cheap donuts or bread just in case.
There is so much to do in this game. One can get money through instruments, battling, betting, selling, and more.
There are unfortunately lots of load times and occasional slowdown. The slowdown is rare and the load times can be sat through, so it doesn’t detract too much if you have patience.

Story: A+
The story is great, but what makes it an A+ story is the multiple paths. You can go the true hero path and save the world, the true villain path and join a terrorist organization, or go in between. At points in the story you can decide whether to take Connie or another girl with you on a mission, or what you introduce people as. The story is extremely interesting and the fact that it can change so much really makes it incredible.

Sound: B
The voice acting in this game is absolutely top-notch, with a notable exception for the songs. One song will make your ears bleed, but it’s part of an optional side quest, so that’s OK. The songs are not bad, but the lyrics are a bit Narmy and aren’t anything to write home about. The background music in the cities is quite good, and the lack of music in between the cities is effective. But the voice-acting is truly fantastic, Each voice fits the character, the emotion is extremely convincing, and it’s just damn good. There are some problems with some dialogue choices needing to lod, but that is minimal.

This game will last you a long time. The main quest is extremely long, and the amount of side quests in the game is huge. Not to mention there’s a lengthy epilogue. Plus, you’ll keep coming back and replaying it over and over again just to try all the branches of the story and all the dialogue choices. The game is just so much fun and there is so much to do that you might even get distracted in the middle of doing something else and branch off into a completely different activity. Luckily, there’s a journal feature for that sort of thing, which details the last major plot point or side quest event. Basically, the game is massive.

Overall: B
Steambot Chronicles doesn’t get an A because there are admittedly many flaws, but overall it is a fantastic and solid game. This is another game that unfortunately won’t see a sequel any time soon (Though it did see a spin-off puzzle game in Japan), but really this game will keep you so busy that you won’t have time wishing for a sequel.

Why No One Played It
Well, for starters, the load times threw people off. Not many gamers nowadays really have the patience to sit through so much loading, despite the good game that awaits at the end of them. Another reason is the control scheme. I have heard tales of people being extremely dissatisfied with the controls for your Trotmobile. Top that off with little-to-no advertising, entry into the flooded PS2 market, a strange name, and the fact that the cover made it look like a generic anime action game (though I rather like the cover, to be honest) and you have a game that unfortunately sank. Shame, really, because it was awesome despite the flaws.

…Ad that ends edition 2. Come on, people, you must have something to say. Ask about the games, or emulate them if you can and get back to me with the results. All of the games I’m covering are ones I’ve personally played and enjoyed to some degree.

Next, we will cover the world’s only fighting-RPG for the GBC: Power Quest!

Hey all. For some weird reason (probably boredom), I’m writing another issue of Games No One Played. I have to thank everyone for the incredible responses that my other two threads (and the one I made in the Bar Room advertising it) have garnered. Really, I love you all.
So, have you ever been playing a fighting game and thought “Man, I wish there were more RPG elements in this”. Well, Sunsoft heard you, and produced this next game. Aren’t you glad?

POWER QUEST
1109856-574750_34069_front_large.jpg

What It Was:
It‘s a fighting game! It‘s an RPG! It‘s a fighting-RPG! No, it‘s Power Quest! In the near future, remote control models will be all the rage. Since we’re human, the models are mostly used for fighting and overclocking. One day, “you” receive a coupon to get a model at the local ABC Store. This kickstarts your quest to become the best model fighter in the world.

Review
Graphics: B
The graphics in this game are quite good. The mug shots of the characters you talk to are extremely detailed and the environments are unique and colorful. You can easily tell the difference between the different fighters, and while their moves aren’t extremely flashy, you can tell when one happens which is better than some Gameboy fighting games. The graphics get the job done, and look good doing it.

Gameplay: C
There is really nothing to shout about in this game, in terms of gameplay. The fighting system is basic but effective. Fights are reasonably well-balanced, and it’s an enjoyable game. However, the game has a major problem that makes playing hard: A password system. Passwords are long and confusing, and there is no internal battery to save your game. This severely hurts the game. It may be one flaw, but it’s a doozy. Another major problem is that it takes so long to get money for parts or your model. You will have to face fight after fight after fight after fight in order to gain money and advance the story. It’s extremely long and gets boring sometimes.

Story: C
I have to give it a point for attempting to have a story, but really, it would have been better without it. The story is really weak, talking about tournaments and challengers. Despite that, it does manage to have one incredible moment when your best friend leaves the town. I was moved to tears by the whole scene, as everything was done so well. That part alone raises the story to a C. Unfortunately, everything else is weak and cookie cutter.

Sound: A
The music in this game is fantastic. It’s catchy, and fun to play on the piano. The top tracks are “End of War”, “Military Arts”, “1995”, and “Science”. If there was nothing else good about this game I would recommend getting it just for the great music.

Longevity: C
The game will last you a while, and it’s fun to pick up and play, but with the major flaws few people will have the patience The game can last a while (Hell, I still play it from time to time to this day) but it’s much better in short bursts than an extended session. Unless you’re on a long trip or something, most people won’t want to play it as much as needed. Combine that with the password system, and you have a game that’s easy to get into, but easy to put down.

Overall: C
Power Quest was an enjoyable game with great music, but the major flaws it had really bogged it down. Overall, it was really only an average game. Enjoyable, interesting, but nothing special.

Why No One Played It
Well, for starters, it wasn’t fantastic by any means. For another, it was released into a saturated market of Gameby Color games. There were hundreds of terrible to average games on the market for the GBC, and this one seemed like yet another one. It’s a shame, because Power Quest was actually a fun little fighter with great music. If more people had played it, there probably would actually be a remix on Overclocked Remix or something. Other than that, having it slip through the cracks wasn’t a terrible disaster or anything.

And that is edition 3. Unless I get discouraged and quit, edition 4 will be about the absolutely incredible Gunstar Heroes.
See you later.

Never heard of it, guess you were right, poor game. However one game I've always loved but never found someone else who has played it is Space Invaders, a remake for the Playstation of the classic. It featured some difficult gameplay and some cool levels and power-ups but it was too short. Actually it had a bit of an arcade feel, it has 2 player co-op and a High-Score system, and the classic version. If you have a PSP you should download it.

Mischief makers is on that line, I'm not sure if it's an over rated game or an under rated game.

Some bits of this game were just bad, some were pretty good. At the end of the day it was Enix attempting a 2D platforming when 3D platforming had just taken off. Plus the music was pretty bad at times. That being said it's pretty enjoyable, so I'll give this game a 7/10

Could you be more specific about the parts you found bad? I found the entire game to be extremely enjoyable, with the exception of some of the more impossible Gold Gem quests.

As I said in my review, the music is either love-it-or-hate-it. I absolutely adore all the music in the game as it's different from the norm while still fitting with the themes of the levels. The boss fight music is just awesome, too.

Hi, kids! This is the long-overdue fourth edition of Games No One Played. Despite my visions of conversation and grandeur falling through, I’ve decided to write another one, in the hopes that one day I will strike gold.
This next game owns the prestigious Doc Award For Best Co-Op Game Ever. It’s currently available on the Wii Virtual Console for a reasonable amount, so go out and play it, dammit! Maybe then you people will actually reply!

GUNSTAR HEROES
gunstarheroes.jpg

What it Was:
Gunstar Heroes was an incredible game for the Sega Genesis (Megadrive in the UK). It was a run-n-gun game for one or two players. What made it different from other games of the same type (e.g. Metal Slug) was three things: Speed, Ingenuity, and Insanity. In Gunstar Heroes, you had the ability to combine weapons.. There were four main weapons: Chaser, Force, Lightning, and Fire. Each of these could be combined with each other to make fourteen possible weapons, each with their own attributes. It was a simple yet great hook that helped the game. It didn’t hurt that the rest of the game is fantastic, as I will detail below.
What also helped it was the co-op mode. This game is my favorite co-op game…ever. Part of the experience is having a friend by your side, helping you destroy robots and retrieve gems. You really only get half the experience playing by yourself.

Review
Graphics: A
This is one pretty game. It’s easily one of the best-looking Genesis games out there, and it’s a wonder how Treasure managed to do it. Each explosion looks awesome, and there are a lot of explosions. The sprites are chunky and look good, and there are even quite a few 3D effects that look great! This is just a nice-looking game that stands the test of time.

Gameplay: A
The gameplay is great. It’s tons of fun, and I’ve already raved about the co-op mode. Plus, there are a variety of ways to play. One level throws you into a mine cart that is always moving forward, and you can ride it on the ground, the ceiling, or the middle of the screen. One of my favorite parts of the game throws you onto a giant board game complete with dice that you have to throw in order to face a boss or obstacle course. The gameplay is just fantastic and it’s a blast to play through and through.

Story: B
There isn’t a lot of story, as is normal for this era of games, but there is enough to explain why you’re doing what you’re doing. It also has some good moments, like the ending. The story isn’t the game’s strong points, but it’s good for what it is and doesn’t take away from the game in the slightest. In fact, I’d say the ending adds to it.

Sound: B
The music is good, but I doubt you’ll be able to hear it over the explosions and other sound effects. The sound is good for what it is. The sounds of firing and explosions add to the game, and the music you can hear is excellent. But, really, no one’s going to buy/download this game for the sound.

This game will last you a very long time. It’s a long game, and it’s fun to play with a friend again and again and again. There are six or so levels, which are difficult and lengthy, even on co-op. Combine that with the fact that it’s just damn fun to replay, and you have a game that will be with you years later.

Overall: A+
This game is just a blast. By yourself or with a friend, it’s damn fun. It has an incredible co-op mode and a good gimmick. It’s deep, and pretty, and awesome. It’s been remade for the Gameboy Advance (though without co-op and weapon combining. Still fun, though.) and is on the Wii Virtual Console, so what are you waiting for?! Buy it now!

Why No One Played It
Poor, poor Gunstar Heroes. It didn’t sell well in its original incarnation, and for some reason people didn’t buy Gunstar Super Heroes despite the act that it has the awesomely cute Yellow on the cover. The only reason I can surmise is bad publicity and the fact that each was released during the dying days of the platform. Thankfully, it’s been released on the Virtual Console, as I’ve said a million times before. It's also been released on the PSN and the Xbox Live Arcade, so what the fuck are you waiting for?! I’m not going to stop plugging this game because it’s fucking awesome.

And that is the end of edition 4. Join us next time when we discuss the interesting game, Graffiti Kingdom.
Ciao!

I think there was an update to that Gunstar Heroes game for the GBA.

Anyway. I haven't played any of the games you've mentioned so far, but I'll see if I get my cheapskate hands on them. I don't know if know about these games, but because I'm low on resources (posting via cell phone), I was wondering if you could do reviews on the following games I think people haven't played (If you've played them of course).

*Space Invaders for the Playstation and Nintendo 64, New Tetris for the Nontendo 64 and Megaman & Bass for The Super Famicom and Gameboy Advance.

I think there was an update to that Gunstar Heroes game for the GBA.

Anyway. I haven't played any of the games you've mentioned so far, but I'll see if I get my cheapskate hands on them. I don't know if know about these games, but because I'm low on resources (posting via cell phone), I was wondering if you could do reviews on the following games I think people haven't played (If you've played them of course).

*Space Invaders for the Playstation and Nintendo 64, New Tetris for the Nontendo 64 and Megaman & Bass for The Super Famicom and Gameboy Advance.

Rockman and Forte should be an interesting one. I'll do it after Graffiti Kingdom.

Yeah, Gunstar Super Heroes (Also called Gunstar Future Heroes) was released for the GBA. I own it. It was fun, but nowhere near as good as the original, no matter how cute Yellow is in the new one.

Alright, I've got one.

PALADIN'S QUEST

Paladin's Quest was an RPG on the SNES. It had a huge cast of playable characters, a magic system that was very unique and innovative, graphics that were even more unique than the magic system, an amazing soundtrack (for a game that came out 15+ years ago), and is without a shadow of a doubt the most under-rated RPG ever.

Graphics: A
A lot of people did not care for the graphics. I found them to be very interesting, and it was definately something new. Anyone who has played this game will recognize it within minutes of watching gameplay footage just by the graphics alone.

Gameplay: A+
This is where this game was criticized the most. I really enjoyed the system it had of using your Health Points to cast magic since there are no Magic Points. One character in the first town even makes fun of this by saying something along the lines of "Magic Points don't exist!". Your spells got stronger by using them more in battle. Other than the magic system, there was the mercenary system. You could hire up to 2 mercenaries to go with the hero and leading lady. This gave you a party of up to 4 people. There were a ton of mercenaries to choose from and they range from melee fighters to magic users. You also faced monsters in first person perspective in battles, like the Dragon Quest series. The gameplay is incredible for a game as old as this one was. If more people gave the magic system a chance, the game would have gotten the respect it deserved.

Story: A-
The story was pretty good. Basically you accidentally release an evil creature and then must defeat it before an evil dictator tries to use it to take over the world. There are a couple of plot twists along the way, and you even get to go back in time to meet the "heroes" you have heard about during the game. The story is not the game's strongest point, but it was good for its time.

Soundtrack: A+
The best part of this game was its soundtrack. Nearly every track is memorable and very catchy. The music is appropriately picked for every moment in the game. One of the best SNES soundtracks.

This game was awesome and it is THE most under-rated RPG ever. It is one of my personal favorites; making my top 5 list for best games ever. Final Fantasy 4, Final Fantasy 7, Tales of Symphonia, and Goldeneye are the only games that beat it. I liked it so much that I made a video walkthrough for it that I posted on youtube in 50 parts. I plan on doing video walkthroughs for other games in the future but that is my only one at the moment.

and finally we have....

Why did no one play this?
The magic system. Apparently everyone hated it. I loved it. Once you figured out how to make your spells stronger and what types of mercenaries you wanted to hire, it was impossible to not enjoy this game. Heck, I even had the battle system figured out so well that I beat the final boss without using a spell called "Spirit" that the game makes you think he is absolutely impossible without.

This was an awesome game that no one but me (and maybe a few others) played, and I wish more people gave a chance.

World Court Tennis

Any why did nobody play it? Because it was on the Turbo Graphix 16, that's why!

world_court_tennis_frontboxart_160w.jpg

The cover seems innocuous enough, right? But when you enter the game and play "quest mode..."

World-Court-Tennis-J-006.png

Looks like a brighter version of Legend of Zelda, right? Well, sort of. Just trade your sword for a tennis racket, and you sheild and armor for running shoes. Instead of learning spells or attacking stronger, you hit the ball harder and faster and get to it quicker. Instead of killing your enemies, you defeat them in tennis matches and take their money. You beat easy foes in games, low level bosses in a set, mid-level bosses in 3-set matches. When you're ready, you eventually find the lair of the evil Tennis King (!?) and meet him in a 5-set marathon.

Graphics: C-
Graphics were god awful, even on a 16-bit system. Could've been the original NES all I care.

Gameplay: A-
Play was actually terrific. The tennis matches were simple, challenging, and fun.

Story: C
Don't remember the story, other than the fact that you had to beat the Tennis King.

Sound: B-
Generic 8-bit music on a 16-bit system.

Longevity: B
Beating the game is tough, but there is two-player mode which made the game fun for longer.

Overall: B-
For the time, this was a solid game, and a lot of fun, if nothing else it was an outside the box redux of RPGs and Sports games in one.

Shenmue & Shenmue II

The Shenmue series was a nice adventure/fighting game series with numerous QTE sequences and HOURS of NPC questioning. The first Shenmue was released on the Dreamcast with graphics that should have shot PS2 to an early grave. The second installment was on Dreamcast as well, but was brought to American on the Xbox.

Graphics: A+
People praised the games for having the some of (if not) the best graphics for a game of the ages console generation. The games held a realism that wasn't seen on other consoles.

Gameplay: B
The gameplay was superb with a great fighting mechnics system from the creators of Virtua Fighter and refreshing QTE sequence moments (Shenmue was the game to first introduce the QTE system). The place where the games failed were that to some players, the games' story progressed to slowly to get to juicer parts. There was too much conversating and not enough action pay-off to balance it out.

Story: A-
The story is set in Japan followed that of teenager Ryo Hazuki, who after nearing home finds a mysterious black sedan parked outside the gateway. Upon entering the threshold he finds everything amiss. His father being hassle by two black suited goons and chinese cartel leader (Lan Di) over an ancient mirror. After thoroughly beating the life out of Ryo's father to find the the desired mirror. Ryo mourns over his father's death and swears a silent oath of revenge against Lan Di. Throughout the first game you are looking for clues to help find those responsible for your father's death. The second installment finds Ryo now in Hong Kong, still searching for Lan Di, his father's murderer... seeking revenge.

Soundtrack: B+
Matching soundtrack that had all sorts of melodic chinese music with a multitude of instruments. It even featured some Hip Hop.

Probably my overall favorite series of all time. Sadly, the series' future looks bleak as the first two games didn't sell as expected or needed... so since 2004 or so the series has been put on hold with not a single update on when it will continue.

Why Overlooked?
I don't remember there being much marketing for it, that and its gameplay style may have thrown numerous peoples off from playing. Not to mention, releasing on the dying Dreamcast console didn't really help says with the PS2 set in everyone's wallets.

I absolutely loved the original Shenmue. I played it on a friend's Dreamcast and was completely blown away. Never had I seen something so good-looking. Never had I heard full voice-acting. It was just an excellent game, through and through.

It's a damn shame Shenmue II didn't sell well enough. I'd heard they planned on making several more in the series. Now, however, it doesn't look like we will ever reach the end of the story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back