I am considering getting into the wrestling business...

ih8myusername94

*insert clever catchphrase here*
Well, i guess i'm just going to spill my heart out. I am 17 years old and professional wrestling is a very big passion for me. All my life i've wanted to get into the wrestling business. This isn't particularly in-ring work. I would love to work behind the scenes or announcing. Recently, i have almost became emotionally unstable to the point of breaking down. I really don't know what I'm going to do with my life at the moment. Behind personal problems, my biggest fear is not being able to go forth with my dream. I am in no way physically fit enough to become a wrestler. I do not have any athletic background. Will i be able to still get trained in pro wrestling? If I'm not, that is fine in a way. I will be just as happy doing stuff behind the scenes. What exactly do i need to go to college for exactly? How hard is it to get an announcing job? How about staff/editer on a pro wrestling site? I know I'll need journalism, so will a bachelors degree be good enough in this economy to get me into the wrestling business? I'm very privileged to live near Louisville Kentucky, home of OVW. Nick Dinsmore provides training for wrestling but it says nothing about other work. Is getting into the wrestling business hard? Should I just move on from what I know, love, and will enjoy having a career in? If I should continue on with my dream, what measures should I take in achieving it? I certainly have the heart, but my handicap will have to be that i am physically unfit. Also, do grades in high school impact college? Do colleges only look at ACT scores? Thank you all for reading, and i'm looking forward to any responses. Any responses will be gladly appreciated. All rude comments will simply be overlooked, so waste your time if you must.

Congratulations man

I dreamed of being involved in the wrestling buisnness as well. Then I realized I have horrible social skills so commentary was out. I also found out I suck at talking to people and that I was not in shape.so I settled for working towards being a psychologist( working towards it)

If any thing you should work as a camera man. That would rule! Anyway good luck to you!

First thing I will say is I commend you for considering chasing after your passion, for example I always wanted to make video games for a living, my high school grades weren't great so what I did was go to a school called SAIT (which is a technical institute), since I didn't need a good GPA to get I applied, got in, worked my tail off, got my diploma and got good enough grades that I can transfer into pretty much any school I want to achieve my dream. On the side I also took some courses (one was to learn how to make XBox live games) and played around with that engine and another one, I've got my designs made for my first game (ironically a wrestling game) and am currently making it. What I'm trying to say is that I didn't have the grades to go to college but there was other alternatives, I took it, worked my ass off and now have the opportunity to do what my passion truly is. If your grades aren't good enough I say take an alternate route.

One thing I will say is that the diploma I got is related but not directly related (it was actually for software development) and although I like doing that I'm still chasing my dream. The point is that it was my backup plan which is always a good idea, you never know what's going to happen so I say you find a backup plan first and foremost. Being a wrestler is hard work (believe me I've known quite a few who trained and its a very physically demanding job) and you also never know if you will blow a knee out and can't physically do it. So my first piece of advice is backup plan.

Secondly I would say don't join any backyard wrestling promotions are anything of that sort, go to a school and learn how to properly become a professional wrestler, luckily you are near one that is run by a former WWE star so you're very lucky in that respect. You may be physically unfit at the current time but you can always hit the weights, do cardio and get into shape. Once you get into better shape make the call to the school, do whatever it takes. Its your dream so I say go for it and go hard.

Anyways I hope that helps and good luck brother.

Congratulations man

I dreamed of being involved in the wrestling buisnness as well. Then I realized I have horrible social skills so commentary was out. I also found out I suck at talking to people and that I was not in shape.so I settled for working towards being a psychologist( working towards it)

If any thing you should work as a camera man. That would rule! Anyway good luck to you!

Thanks for the kind words bro. I just gotta keep my head up and be open to any help. I'm considering contacting Nick Dinsmore personally by email to see if he has any advice for me. My social skills are mediocre at best, but i am very good with writing and i would dedicate myself to commentary if i ever got the opportunity. I need to find out if shooting for a bachelors degree in journalism would be a good idea or not.

First thing I will say is I commend you for considering chasing after your passion, for example I always wanted to make video games for a living, my high school grades weren't great so what I did was go to a school called SAIT (which is a technical institute), since I didn't need a good GPA to get I applied, got in, worked my tail off, got my diploma and got good enough grades that I can transfer into pretty much any school I want to achieve my dream. On the side I also took some courses (one was to learn how to make XBox live games) and played around with that engine and another one, I've got my designs made for my first game (ironically a wrestling game) and am currently making it. What I'm trying to say is that I didn't have the grades to go to college but there was other alternatives, I took it, worked my ass off and now have the opportunity to do what my passion truly is. If your grades aren't good enough I say take an alternate route.

One thing I will say is that the diploma I got is related but not directly related (it was actually for software development) and although I like doing that I'm still chasing my dream. The point is that it was my backup plan which is always a good idea, you never know what's going to happen so I say you find a backup plan first and foremost. Being a wrestler is hard work (believe me I've known quite a few who trained and its a very physically demanding job) and you also never know if you will blow a knee out and can't physically do it. So my first piece of advice is backup plan.

Secondly I would say don't join any backyard wrestling promotions are anything of that sort, go to a school and learn how to properly become a professional wrestler, luckily you are near one that is run by a former WWE star so you're very lucky in that respect. You may be physically unfit at the current time but you can always hit the weights, do cardio and get into shape. Once you get into better shape make the call to the school, do whatever it takes. Its your dream so I say go for it and go hard.

Anyways I hope that helps and good luck brother.

Thanks man, and it did help. I'm glad to see that you ended up with something very positive. You could always end up with what you truly wanted one day, even if the backup plan is still satisfying. I'm going to have to think long and hard on a good back up career for me. It should be pretty fun taking time out of my day to find something that I would like to do if anything related to wrestling doesn't work. Is the "SAIT" similar to a community college? Also, i'm going to chase going in for OVW because its so close to home. I just need a way of knowing what i need to do to get hired. Right now I'm looking for a job to afford a YMCA membership which i've always wanted and needed for my own health. I know if i work my hardest i won't let anything take me down.

I am also looking to enter the business in the next few years I am studying professional wrestling and soon starting bookings I really hope you follow your dream because people like you who chase them deserve to catch them everything will pick up soon maybe one day you will be my manager haha good luck buddy

All the best

Thanks man, and it did help. I'm glad to see that you ended up with something very positive. You could always end up with what you truly wanted one day, even if the backup plan is still satisfying. I'm going to have to think long and hard on a good back up career for me. It should be pretty fun taking time out of my day to find something that I would like to do if anything related to wrestling doesn't work. Is the "SAIT" similar to a community college? Also, i'm going to chase going in for OVW because its so close to home. I just need a way of knowing what i need to do to get hired. Right now I'm looking for a job to afford a YMCA membership which i've always wanted and needed for my own health. I know if i work my hardest i won't let anything take me down.

Often there are schools who will book you for little money while you train to get you more experience. Also I would say pick the brain of any wrestler you have the chance to (for example living in Calgary lots of wrestlers train at a place called BJ's Gym and gave some friends of mine good advice. Believe it or not I worked with Bad News Allen for a year when he was head security at a mall in Airdrie a small city I lived in before he passed away, he said the same pick any wrestlers brain any chance you get. A very nice guy once you get to know him.), HHH got into the business because he worked out at the same gym as a wrestler named Ted Arcidi. Maybe find a gym close to home where there are wrestlers and talk with them, some will be dicks but there will be some that will be very helpful. The best way to get your foot in the door of any profession is networking and building relationships with people who can help and give good advice.

To answer your question SAIT is a technical institute, kind of an accelerated college where you earn the diploma in 2 years instead of 4 although in theory it supposed to teach you as much as a regular university.

I say don't give up the dream man. You're still young and have plenty of time to get in shape and better yourself in any way possible to fit what you wanna do. From what I've heard and seen it is definitley hard to get into the business, but anything great in life is hard to get into.. Maybe in your journey, you'll find a way in, or maybe you'll stumble upon a new dream. Eaither way, things happen for a reason..

I don't know about the announcing/editor/staff job. Cause I'm shy as heck & I can't talk worth a damn, socially. But as a former dreamer of beng a pro-wrestler, I'll give you some advice. You said you are physically unfit. There's a lot of time to work on that, bro. Trust me. When you do hit the gym (weights & cardio), use your dream as motivation. It's a lot of time & sacrifice (not a lot of partying or hanging out with friends as much.) But it's also good for your health too! Deenerandterry mentioned that you should go to a pro-wrestling school & learn the basics. I 100% agree. Learn the basics. I trained at Killer Kowalski's (Bless his soul) gym. I actually live in the same city & found his school on accident, really. He & the trainers taught me a lot. From basic falling/landing to how to bounce off the ropes. My input may not mean much. But, as a former dreamer of being a pro-wrestler. I'd thought I'd give you some of my input. Keep on shooting for the stars, man. You'll never know, man. Who knows? Maybe sometime down the road, I'll see you on a wrestling program & say "Now THAT kid got talent!"

"Getting into the business" is as hard or as easy as you make it. Are you satisfied working for Redneck Rob in his backyard in front of 20 of his friends or do you want to be successful?

My advice is to go to school. Get a business degree, perhaps marketing. This means you know how to sell a product. Product in wrestling can be a wrestler, a shit, a move, a PPV, a TV show, everything is their "product".

The broadcast part is incedibly hard to get into. There is the "jockocracy" where former wrestlers, despite maybe not being as good, WILL get the job over you. It adds legitimacy to their analysis.

As far as first breaking in. Find someone legitimate. Someone with ties. Harley Race, The Funks if they still have a school, FCW, TNA, WWE, anywhere. You can apply to intern for TNA or WWE but I'm going to guess you wouldn't get paid. Make a good impression, get hired on after you graduate.

As far as in ring stuff. Again, find someone legit. You don't want to pay a guy who was trained by a guy who was trained by a guy who was trained by a guy who went to a 2 hour seminar hosted by Chris Hero and then built a ring in his backyard and started training people. Get in the best shape of your life.

I agree with a lot of other people, you should learn the basics. Bumps bring you respect. Even in reff school you have to learn to take bumps. O, bumps suck.

Personally, I almost died going to a wrestling school, but I've posted my story before so I don't feel like doing it again. I've seriously considered trying to go for the business side of wrestling, but often times these dream jobs don't pay as well as the stress brings.

All the above is excellent advice but I'd also consider drama classes.

They can be useful if you want to work as a manager in that they help you develop a character. Also they can help you develop your voice so that you can put emotion and feeling into what you say as an announcer or even a interviewer.

Most of all work hard and don't get downhearted because one day when I'm watching Wrestlemania I wanna be able to say to my son I helped him become the greatest manager/announcer/ring announcer/cameraman in history.

Few Tips

1. Get A Education First! look at pretty much every wrestler currently working...the vast majority have great academic backgrounds and have something to fall back on if things dont go a certain way. Be smart.

2. Find a good school! Bret hart recently said that lance storm is the best trainer in the world right now. Make sure you learn from someone who has experience in the industry.

3. Announcing is not something that you can just learn. Jr does not run a announcing training school and the majority of announcers around the world have a wrestling background or some sports background. Id make a safe bet that it is a lot harder to become a announcer and a good one than it is to become a wrestler.

4. Dont become delluded. Chances are that you wont become a WWE Superstar! that does not mean you should not try but just keep in mind that its a damn hard buissness to get in to. Keep your dream alive but dont expect great things...take each day as it comes. Remember that for every wrestler that makes it...there is hundreds that dont.

5. Kiss as much ass as possible. May sound like a bad thing but hey you gotta make as many friends and connections in wrestling in order to get anywhere.

6. Workout pretty much every day. Make sure you stick to a strict diet. Keep in top shape and you will be able to get somewhere. Every wrestling promoter loves a guy in shape!

i have trained in pro wrestling as more of a hobby and worked a couple of local shows in my area and i'll tell you this. Its hard, really really hard and as much as i love pro wrestling its just something i would not want to get into. Keep chasing that dream though buddy but whatever you do..make sure you have something to fall back on

In Kentucky, if you do anything with Wrestling then the first thing you have to do is get a license. They're not cheap, and it's kind of ******ed that you need a license before you can train.

Also, OVW is an okay school but keep in mind that because it's a big name school, there's going to be less time for one-on-one training that you'd get from a smaller local company. I got trained by a guy named Roger Gleaton in nothing more than a barn. It's all a matter of how you want to learn, of course. Also keep in mind that just because you're being trained by OVW people that it doesn't mean you'll be used on their shows or even sent to WWE. It just means they train you.

Training stems far beyond in-ring action, as does wrestling. A lot of schools will have you learn the basic bumps no matter what you decide to do, but there are schools that will teach you how to commentate, how to manage, and how to be a ring announcer or interviewer... despite the fact that a lot of them don't use interviews or the like.

Even in wrestling, physical shape is a way beyond stretched issue when you first begin. A lot of times, trainers will have special drills that you do during your training period that even the worst of shape people can become a decent in ring worker if they're dedicated enough.

So all in all, I'd say find out what exactly you want to do in the wrestling field and go with it. If you want to be an interviewer or commentator for the promotions that DO offer it, then your best bet would be to also try going to college for journalism so that you can get a better understanding of that field as well.

All in all, good luck in the business. I've been in it for almost four years now, and even in that little bit of time, I've seen people come and go... in various aspects of the profession. Remember, it took Daniel Bryan 10 years to make it to the WWE, and there's a lot more guys that have been around longer and not made it there. Another thing to remember is that the indies are being destroyed by the economy so don't expect promoters to bend over backwards to book you for crazy amounts. A nice saying around the indies is that if you can make gas money between shows, then you're doing a damn good job... then again a lot of promoters allow you to sell your own merchandise so you can make money that way too.

If you are considering getting into the business than take this to consideration.You will need to workout during your free time so be ready to give that up so good luck and don't let anyone stop your dreams.

I thank everyone for the kind responses. You've all helped me in one way or another. The people who give me advice i'm going to stick to. From what I've noticed, if you aren't physically fit there is no way in hell for anyone to book you. So, i plan on going to college. College is a definite thing, because i am taking a college class in high school atm and i don't want it to go to waste. Someone mentioned that journalism would be a good thing to take, I'll definately consider it. Another person mentioned a business degree, and I could see myself doing something in that range. If i don't go for journalism or business/marketing, than wrestling will be be an alternative. I will never give up, and maybe once I learn discipline and respect in the work force then i can hit up some indies and try to work something out. I don't necessarily want to be in the big leagues, I'd rather think more logically. I know that i need to stand out for bookers to even consider me. Anymore tips or comments would be great.

Hey just hope you stay safe and one more thing if you make it to the business then you would need to take some good sleeping time.Also don't forget us ok.

Hey just hope you stay safe and one more thing if you make it to the business then you would need to take some good sleeping time.Also don't forget us ok.

Thanks man, only time will tell if i do make it. I know it won't be a walk through the park though. I'm gonna have to get my head out of my a** and get into better shape. I'm also really putting down hard on my studies this year, with it being my senior class. I'll never forget anybody on this thread, or on this site for that matter. I've been following wrestlezone since i was 12 I believe, and i don't plan on ever leaving the forums again.

Best of luck to you mate. Though I (along with pretty much anyone else in the business it seems) would strongly advise getting a degree of some sort before (or at least while) you start your training. Also when you're starting out you'll probably be asked to help out with stuff like setting up the arena, ring and selling tickets before the show and help clear up after it. It's not all glamour before you reach the big times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back