Hulkamania Volume VI with KB

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
Hulkamania Volume VI
Host: Sean Mooney
Commentators: Lord Alfred Hayes, Sean Mooney, Gorilla Monsoon, Jesse Ventura, Bobby Heenan, Vince McMahon

This is the final volume I have and other than a few hour long tapes, this is the last one there is. This is from late 91/early 92 and is about that year in Hogan’s career, primarily about Hulk vs. Slaughter and then Undertaker. Oh and some other random stuff too. We close out the Hulkamania series with this so let’s get to it.

BUY SURVIVOR SERIES 91 EVEN THOUGH IT SUCKED!!!

BUY OUR ACTION FIGURES!!!

BUY OUR OTHER ACTION FIGURES!!!

BUY OUR BIG TALKING ACTION FIGURES!!!

And people have the nerve to complain about WWE schilling stuff today? Wow.

We open with a shot of Sean standing in front of a TON of Hogan merchandise which is rather cool.

WWF Title: Hulk Hogan vs. The Undertaker

This is in July of 91 so this is WAY before their “first match” at Survivor Series in November. Taker is billed as undefeated which is a lie but whatever. Hogan has a shirt on that I’ve never seen before. That’s a rare thing as it was almost always HULK RULES. Taker jumps him to start and chokes away with the t-shirt. I guess he’s a traditionalist when it comes to his memorabilia. The belt finally comes off and Taker is dominating.

Taker chokes away even more, this time with the left hand for some reason. Elbow drop, back when Taker could still jump, misses and here comes Hulk. This goes nowhere though as Taker no sells it. Bearer grabs the leg and here comes Taker again. The champ is busted open and there’s a Tombstone with ease. Say it with me: it gets two. Hulk Up, big boot, Bearer pops up, Taker rams into him and a rollup keeps the title on Hogan. Taker just got beat clean in maybe six minutes. Wow indeed.

Rating: D. Taker sucked at this point as he has no idea what he was doing with the character yet, which to be fair no one had any idea what to do with it for about six years. It was really quick and I’m not sure what the point of this was as Taker looks beatable now, Hogan looks like he has to escape and the match sucks. Not sure I get that but whatever.

We get a clip of Hogan, Beefcake and Savage working out. I hope they don’t show the cracks when the steroids go in. “We’re trying to get Brutus’ body as hard as his head.” Well at least they’re honest about him being stupid. Savage even lifts weights in sunglasses. Someone rings the doorbell and it’s Gene. They more or less force Gene to work out and then kind of strip him. Savage says this is sexy. WHAT ARE THEY DOING TO GENE??? Now they lay him on a table and don’t show him below the waist and his face is straining. And he’s sore. I give up.

We get a quick recap to hear how Savage and Hogan are now buddies after they used to hate each other. The main thing is the Main Event 2 with Liz getting hurt. This is a Mania rematch from Paris in 89.

WWF Title: Hulk Hogan vs. Randy Savage

Ton of pyro for Savage here which looks awesome. Gorilla calls an unnamed Pat Patterson a short fat guy. Gorilla never was all that nice was he? Oddly enough the REAL AMERICAN is incredibly popular in France. Savage stalls a lot which is a great way to draw heat but not when you’re watching in retrospect. Gorilla says this is as important as the storming of the Bastille. Wow indeed.

Savage tries to run and is stopped by a guy named Terry Garvin. Hayes says that Garvin is always behind something. Garvin is one of the handful of openly gay wrestlers, meaning that that line was not very nice at all. Then again Hayes was almost always the heel announcer even if that wasn’t specified. MORE stalling as the bell rang about two and a half minutes ago and they’ve made maybe four seconds of contact. Hogan shoves him to the floor again and the stalling continues.

Savage talks a bit on the mic as this is almost a verbatim version of the London match from the last tape. Sherri finally makes a distraction and Savage comes off the top which gives him the advantage for a few seconds or so. Savage continues his Memphis stuff with some powder and Hogan goes to the floor. Sherri attacks him so HOGAN RAMS HER INTO THE APRON!!! WOW!

Randy finally takes over for more than a few seconds with his usual stuff. Sherri’s interference let him take over but take it how you can get it I guess. Double axe off the top sets up the sleeper as this is more or less a carbon copy of the match from the previous tape. A quick bit of research says this is three days after the previous one so yeah, it’s going to be the same match.

The sleeper eats up forever as Liz looks like she’s trapped in the 80s. That hair is terrifying. Hogan fights up but doesn’t Hulk Up, meaning a well placed bomb might slow him down a bit. Sherri interferes for about the fourth time and Savage guillotines Hogan on the top. Purse to the head and there’s your kickout. Hulk Up time and uh….yeah. Legdrop, you know the drill.

Rating: C-. This was a step below the previous match, which to be fair to the match is probably because I watched the same thing a day ago. This was fine, though the chinlock continues to be far too tedious as the majority of the time it’s just them laying around and doing nothing. Also the lack of an elbow hurt this a bit too. Not bad though.

Quick look at Suburban Commando which is somehow a new movie still. This is the scene where he’s in the arcade.

This next match is a true rarity. It’s from the AJPW/WWF Pro Wrestling Summit in the Egg Dome in Tokyo, about two weeks after Mania 6. This is the review from that card so on here the commentary was Mooney and Hayes. The version you’re reading has Japanese commentary so if you’re watching this and I miss a joke, that’s why.

Hogan is in the back and he doesn’t say anything, likely because he isn’t asked anything. Granted that never stopped him before though.

Stan Hansen vs. Hulk Hogan

Like I said this was supposed to be Terry Gordy, but that didn’t happen. HOLY SHIT Hansen is freaking nuts! He runs the announcer over, literally. It’s saying a lot when a guy is named after his finishing move. Hogan gets an epic pop for the song called Real American from a Tokyo audience. That’s impressive in its own right. Anyone that says he’s not the biggest international star ever is freaking NUTS.

Austin had a hotter period, but no one has Hogan’s longevity at that spot. Granted his refusal to leave said spot killed WCW, but whatever. Crowd is NUTS for this. This is easily the most into a match they’ve been all night. It’s very rare when Hogan might be the more technically sound of the two. This is where the Cena knows five moves argument falls apart as Hogan is wrestling a very technical style, hitting his second drop toehold in two minutes, adding in a three quarter nelson.

This turns into a brawl, which makes sense as it’s what both men do best. Hogan is dominating, which is odd as hell. He throws in what would today be called an Angle Slam for good measure. Hansen has done almost nothing at all here. They hit the crowd for a bit and Hansen is slammed onto a table. Note that it was onto a table and not through it. We’ve been going about 6 minutes here and it has been ALL Hogan.

Hansen is busted. He gets a boot in the corner to a MASSIVE pop. Out in the crowd again he gets a chair to Hogan’s head and the big bald man is bleeding. The announcers are having another orgasm as their balls must be aching from having so many here. Hansen is dominating now and he gets a few shots with the bull rope to Hogan.

He calls for the Lariat to a huge pop but Hogan hits a forearm to block. Leg drop misses and Hansen gets two off of that. HOGAN THROWS A FREAKING CROSS BODY! AND IT WAS DECENT!!! After a big boot for a block, Hogan hits a big clothesline for the pin. That came from out of nowhere.

Rating: B-. It was shorter than I would have liked, but to have Hogan dominate the majority of the match and then hit something other than the leg drop for the pin. It was a very nice change of pace. Hogan’s offense wasn’t nearly as great as it’s made out to be, but it’s certainly different and a nice break from what we’re used to. For a main event it was fine, but a few more minutes would have helped it a lot.

We get Hulk Home Movies from when he was a baby. Oh dear. He used to be a good baseball player until he broke his arm if I remember correctly.

From Wrestlemania 2.

WWF Title: Hulk Hogan vs. King Kong Bundy

This is a cage match and the only one in Mania history if you don't count the Cell match at Mania 15 which most people don't. The story behind this is Bundy jumped Hogan at a SNME and hurt his ribs, which hadn’t healed yet. Hogan wrestled against doctor’s orders with tape all over his ribs. Simple but effective but kind of too simple as this was more or less thrown together about a month ago.

This is a very not surprising match with Bundy going for the ribs and Hogan having to fight through the pain. It's solid because it's Hogan doing what he does best but the total and complete lack of drama or anyone really caring for the most part is hurting it. Also having Jesse as lead announcer is a very odd choice.

Bundy rips the tape off of Hogan's ribs like a good heel and Hogan messes up as always by trying to pick Bundy up and of course he can't do it. There's nothing special going on here at all but it's working for the most part. Ah there's the Hulk Up. Very surprisingly we get a power slam here and not the traditional slam. Maybe his ribs really were hurt. He ties up Bundy and goes over the top to retain and end the show.

Rating: B-. It’s Hogan against a monster heel not named Andre. What are you expecting here? This was his bread and butter and the fans popped for the end (only) so I guess you can call this a success. I'm a sucker for Hogan matches in the 80s so I'd say there's probably some bias in the rating but who cares? Fairly solid match but nothing unique about it at all other than the cage aspect.

Hulk Hogan is America and so can you!

Hulk Hogan vs. General Adnan

On to the Slaughter feud now as Hogan went insane with patriotism after Vince turned the Iraq War into a storyline. This is Adnan El Kaissi from AWA and not the Iron Sheik so there isn’t much history here. Adnan cheats to start but here comes Hulk. And never mind as here’s Slaughter with the belt for the DQ. Long beatdown follows with the Iraqi flag getting involved. This sets up a brief video on Hogan being patriotic, but more importantly this. From Mania 7.

WWF World Title: Hulk Hogan vs. Sgt. Slaughter

Hmm. I think I may have to bet on this Slaughter guy. It seems likely that he’s going to win it as I think this Hogan chap is overmatched. Is there any reason as to why Alex Trebek is the guest announcer here? I mean dude, IT’S ALEX TREBEK! Anyway, Hogan of course is absolutely insanely over but that pop would start to die off rather soon.

Regis is on commentary for this which is even weirder. Long feeling out process as they feel out each other’s power. Hogan sends him to the floor which gets him a few good shots in. Slaughter begs off back in the ring but gets an eye rake like the evil….American that he is. Yeah this was kind of a weird setup. Heenan keeps talking about some party he’s having on Prime Time Wrestling.

Slaughter in control now as Regis shows that he has zero business being a commentator on the main event of Mania, as he has nothing to say. That’s not his fault of course, but he is just kind of there. No one wants to come to Bobby’s party. That’s rather amusing indeed. Hogan takes over again and does more or less nothing special at all.

A knee to the back sends Slaughter into the buckle. A slingshot makes him completely miss the post but we’ll say it hit anyway. After a good long beating, Hogan shows how stupid he can be and goes up to the middle rope which doesn’t work. He more or less no sells the shot Slaughter gets on him and goes to the top? What the hell??? Adnan interferes and Hogan pulls a Flair in a funny spot.

Slaughter Cannon sends Hogan to the floor. He beats the tar out of Hogan with a chair on the floor which gets him somewhere for a change. The referee won’t count him out or DQ him though. Well that’s certainly nice of him isn’t it? Back in the ring now with Slaughter hooking a Boston Crab after pounding away for awhile on the back.

You know this hold would look a bit more realistic and painful if Hogan wasn’t just barely beneath the rope and that by moving maybe 8 inches up the hold would be broken. Granted that might just be me overthinking this. Slaughter works on the back forever and gets a chair shot to the head to bust open Hulk. Can we please just get to him breaking the camel clutch and getting the title back?

THANK YOU! Slaughter gets his UNBREAKABLE, yes UNBREAKABLE I SAY, hold on Hogan who of course, just like he did to the Sheik, breaks it. Slaughter gets him down again (to humble him perhaps?) and drapes the Iraqi flag over him because he is a very stupid man. Hogan kicks out and you can fill in the blanks yourself.

Rating: C+. Easily more about symbolism, but there was one major flaw: the war was already over when this match took place. It was like TNA in levels of being behind the times. This was a fairly decent match though and I thought it worked well enough for what it was supposed to do. The Hogan pop was starting to die off though and it would become much clearer in the future.

Hulk Hogan/Jim Duggan vs. Colonel Mustafa/Sgt. Slaughter

Dark match again here I think which is a fine way to end a tape. The good guys start us off on the floor with Duggan being allowed to use the board for some reason. Hogan and Slaughter start us off but are only in there for a few seconds before it’s off to Duggan who shouts a lot.

The heels hammer away on him as this tape is rapidly running out of time so this isn’t going to last long. Mustafa does some awful choking as Hogan is put back on the apron. Slaughter gets scared off by Hogan and here come Hogan and Mustafa. Adnan throws powder in the face of Hogan and rolls him up but Hogan reverses it for the pin. This was like 4 minutes long.

Rating: D. Barely even a match with the most part of this being the faces dominating. This would have been ok for a dark match but at the same time I would have been ticked off if I waited for like six hours to see Hogan and get a quick thing like this. It was a simpler time though I suppose.

Another music video takes us out.

Overall Rating
: D+. They were really dragging by this point but then again so was Hulk. The Hansen and Undertaker matches are some nice rarities and to have Mania 2 referenced anywhere is always a sight to behold. Not much of a tape but like I said, they were running out of ideas. Not much to talk about here but the Hogan series is finally done, with Volume 3 obliterating the rest of the series combined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back