• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hulk Hogan's Best Match ever!!

Ruthless-RKO

F*ck Friends, Rather die wiv ma AK!
Okay, well we all know Hogan won't give us another spectacular match like he used to, So it's why I have decided to post this thread.
(Note: this is the same reason I posted a similar thread about bret hart)

So from WWF, NJPW, AWA and WCW (You can include TNA, but he has only wrestled 2 matches im guessing), he has had many great fights in his career, from being the all-time babyface to being the most hated heel, to having many match of the year awards to best feud of the year awards, from being a 6 time wwe champion to 6 time wcw champion. Out off all the matches he has wrestled in his amazing career..What would you call his best match ever??

Now I can expect a lot of people saying Wrestlemania III with Andre the giant, but i'm going with something different..

His best match for me would have to Wrestlemania X8 against the great one, The Rock...This was just an amazing match from start to finish, to major draws in the business and the match we thought we would never see, both got huge pops when they came out to the ring and the crowd was just going mental seeing these two in the ring..The fight itself won PWI Macth of the Year Award in 2002 and fully deserved it. Seeing The Rock win aswell was quite a shock, but I wasn't sure who would win anyway, this marked Hogan's split with the NWO when at the end he shook The Rock's hand..

Honourable Mention

The Main Event - Hogan vs Andre the Giant - 1988

Wrestlemania VI - Hogan vs The Ultimate Warrior - 1990

Wrestlemania XIX - Hogan vs Vince Mcmahon - Street Fight match - 2003 - "20 years in the making"

No Way Out - Hogan vs The Rock - 2003

Summer Slam - Hogan vs Shawn Michaels - 2005 - "Legend vs Icon"

Summer Slam - Hogan vs Randy Orton - 2006

So what do you think was Hogan's best match ever??

I posted this in my own thread, but I'll transfer it over here:

Look, the guy isn't going to ever be confused with Shawn Michaels in the ring, and he shouldn't have to. He got over (more over then anyone) by doing his thing that he perfected in the WWF, and the man could tell a story in the ring with his limited stuff that could rival anyone. HOgan brought a drama and intensity to his matches that few could ever match. That said, here are my Top 10 Hulk Hogan matches.

10. Hulk Hogan vs. Vince McMahon (Wrestlemania XIX) - Shocking that this match ended up being so awesome, and credit belongs to McMahon just as much as Hogan, but I really enjoyed this. It told a great story, and both men really gave it all they had, and Hogan went outside of his normal routine to show that this match "meant something more."

9. Hulk Hogan vs. Triple H (Backlash 2002) - Purely for the nostalgia of Hogan winning the strap one more time, and showing that he could "hang with the young bucks." Very cool match.

8. Hulk Hogan vs. Vader (Uncensored 1995) - Intriguing, as Vader was pretty much the dominant monster of the time period in either company, and the match was brutal, and just well done by both guys. It was a great story told by both men.

7. Hulk Hogan vs. Shawn Michaels (Summerslam 2002) - Shawn Michaels is an asshole. Bottom line, he tried to embarrass Hogan. So, really, my enjoyment from this match was purely from watching Shawn lose. Really, one of the most unprofessional things I've ever seen on that side of the curtain, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised from the guy who gave us the MSG Curtain Call.

6. Hulk Hogan vs. 29 other guys (Royal Rumble 1990) - The better of Hogan's two RR wins. I love the Royal Rumble, and it was a hot gimmick at the time, but it was just that...a gimmick. Hogan's win really put the match over as a HUGE deal, and gave it the credibility to become a lasting fixture, which I love.

5. Hulk Hogan vs. Ric Flair (Halloween Havoc 1994) - This match was a Steel Cage Retirement Match. I absolutely loved this match, and it's one of the few Hogan-Flair matches that really reached the level of intensity/spectacle it deserved. It was just great work from both guys, and the stakes felt very important and very real. I also appreciated it because it showed HOgan could do his think right there with Flair and not pale in comparison in the ring.

4. Hulk Hogan vs. the Ultimate Warrior (Wrestlemania VI) - At the time, this felt like maybe the biggest match ever, and it lived up to and surpassed that hype, at least to me as a kid. Looking back now, it's even more impressive when you understand the limits of Hogan and the even bigger limits of Warrior. It's startling that Hogan carried him to the best match of his career (IMO, I know others like the Savage match next year). I would rank it higher, but Hogan lost, so....

3. Hulk Hogan vs. the Rock (Wrestlemania X-8) - This match felt like an event. I had gotten out of watching the product a few years back, but I heard about this, and I came back for this match. The crowd was maybe the hottest crowd of all time, and the staredown between Hogan and Rock was just such a MOMENT. The staredown is something that nobody has been able to do like Hogan. I was also startled at how well Hogan was able to work, given his age and physical injuries, but I just enjoyed this match IMMENSELY.

2. Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant (Wrestlemania III) - Look, it wasn't a masterpiece, but the two Moments from this match are unforgettable and pivotal in Hogan's career. Their staredown to start the match is maybe THE most epic staredown EVER (in any sporting event). And then the Body Slam Heard Round the World. When it happened, nobody could believe it. Nobody thought it could be done. It's one of the defining moments of my childhood and wrestling history.

1. Hulk Hogan vs. Macho Man Randy Savage (Wrestlemania V) - People forget about this match, but personally, I love it. This is the culmination of maybe my favorite angle of all time, the Mega Powers Explode angle. The emotion was very real and very palpable, and the whole match had an epic feel (for me). Both guys worked their asses off and told an incredible story. It felt like there was no wasted motion, no wasted facial expression. I just loved it.

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=112369

1. Hulk Hogan vs. Macho Man Randy Savage (Wrestlemania V) - People forget about this match, but personally, I love it. This is the culmination of maybe my favorite angle of all time, the Mega Powers Explode angle. The emotion was very real and very palpable, and the whole match had an epic feel (for me). Both guys worked their asses off and told an incredible story. It felt like there was no wasted motion, no wasted facial expression. I just loved it.

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=112369

Agree. This was Hogan's best match. This was a great angle and a great match. I love Jesse's call right before the match when he said "this is truly what the words main event were meant for." This was the main event for a generation. Great stuff.

7. Hulk Hogan vs. Shawn Michaels (Summerslam 2002) - Shawn Michaels is an asshole. Bottom line, he tried to embarrass Hogan. So, really, my enjoyment from this match was purely from watching Shawn lose. Really, one of the most unprofessional things I've ever seen on that side of the curtain, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised from the guy who gave us the MSG Curtain Call.

I believe this match happened in 2005, I see you put 2002, also when looking at the old thread, many posters there have also said this match was from 2002...not to confuse anyone, in 2002 shawn michaels fought triple h in a street match..

The Best match I ever seen Hogan put on was on one of the old Hulkamania vids I used to have against Stan Hansen.

If you have never seen it you should look it up, it made me change the way I looked at Hogan as a wrestler, ok he is no HBK as someone has already stated but this cross-promotion match was Hogan at his best pulling out stuff you wouldn't expect him to in a solid hardcore brawl with a little bit of solid basic technical wrestling in it.

Made me realise Hogan wasn't a bum when it came to ring prowess, he just only needed to use a little to get over, much like Cena today, he is capable of doing more in his matches than the usual 5 moves stuff.

The Rock vs. Hulk Hogan wrestlemania X8. Finally a good match where they were both evenly ,match and Hulk Hogan barely did any of his stupid taunts

Hulk Hogan Vs Brock Lesnar SmackDown! 08.08.2002 is one of the only times in history where Hogan actually sold for his opponent and let Lesnar domminate him and the match and then make him tap out to a grounded bearhug which helped put Lesnar over to world title status i liked the fact that for the first time Hogans career he let himself look vunerable and it made an amazing match because you actually belive Hogan can lose instead of his invincible act that who one wants to see.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5k6rs_hulk-hogan-vs-brock-lesnar-smackdow_shortfilms

Hulk Hogan Vs Brock Lesnar SmackDown! 08.08.2002 is one of the only times in history where Hogan actually sold for his opponent and let Lesnar domminate him and the match and then make him tap out to a grounded bearhug which helped put Lesnar over to world title status i liked the fact that for the first time Hogans career he let himself look vunerable and it made an amazing match because you actually belive Hogan can lose instead of his invincible act that who one wants to see.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5k6rs_hulk-hogan-vs-brock-lesnar-smackdow_shortfilms

You've obviously never watched HOgan wrestle. Just because he's famous for the HUlk Up doesn't mean he never sold. He sold his ass off for everyone, I can't even think of ONE squash match Hogan ever had. He gave EVERYONE offense, and sold his ass of for them, before the inevitable Hulk Up.

You've obviously never watched HOgan wrestle. Just because he's famous for the HUlk Up doesn't mean he never sold. He sold his ass off for everyone, I can't even think of ONE squash match Hogan ever had. He gave EVERYONE offense, and sold his ass of for them, before the inevitable Hulk Up.

Would Yokozuna at Wrestlemania IX count?

My favorite Slaughter at Wrestlemania VII. I hated that Slaughter had become an Iraqi sympathizer and wanted nothing more than for Hulk to whip his traitor ass. That was maybe the only time I ever cheered for Hogan.

Ive been a wrestling fan all my life so please don't tell me what i haven't seen i have seen all his WWF/E, WCW and TNA matches and i wasn't reffering to the Hulk up, he never lets his opponants look good against him i respect your opinion on the subject but he gave his opponants limited offense which was always futile as Hogan always wins in the end anyway.
And also if you watch WWE Vintage practically every episode they have a Hogan squash match for example against Big Boss Man there were others but i just can't remember them at this point in time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUTLoNGJBzE

Reactions: gd
Versus Macho Man at Mania 5! Great match, Hogan really sold alot in that match, especially Savages elbow at the end before he Hulked up and won! The feud was hot, and WWF really built the match starting at WM 4 when Hulk helped Savage win the title! The 2 never had a bad match even when they through Beefcake and Zeus into the mix! Savage really brought the best out in Hogan!

Of course I think his greatest match has yet to happen, and prob won't, but Hulk vs Stone Cold will be the best ever, even if they are both old or beaten down!!! Till then I'm going with Savage!

For me it's Hogan vs Rock Wrestlemania X8 for the simple fact that i was in the 13th row on the floor and got to see it live. At that point I was sick and tired of The Rock and I was sick and tired of Hogan.

There was a stupid buildup to the match where Hogan attempted vehicular homicide on Rocky and somehow Rock found the courage to Hulk Up and show up to wrestle the Immortal one. UGH. Garbage.

Something happened once those 2 started eachother down in the ring before the match. There was this incredible engery that filled the Skydome and drew every single person into the match. Every punch, every headlock, every move period was drawing HUGE reactions from the fans. It was so enjoyable to watch that match live and for me it's my favorite Hogan and Rock match.

I haven't watched it again. I don't want to spoil that match. It was great.

You obviously don't follow wrestling. There was absolutely nothing wrong with anything that Shawn Michaels did in this match, which is why he had the support of every single person in the WWE and in the wrestling community in general. Only the Hogan fanboys think Hogan was right. He was the unprofessional a-hole, but that it's surprising from the guy who's been holding people down, no selling them, and embarassing them through his whole career.

For those who don't know, Hogan and HBK agreed to two matches when they started their program. The match at Summerslam where Hogan would win, and then a rematch at Unforgiven where HBK would win. Well, somehow, before the Summerslam match, Hogan "injured" his knee or hip or big toe or whatever and decided he wouldn't be able to go through with the agreement - oh, he'd still do the Summerslam match where he would win, of course, but he wouldn't be able to wrestle in the rematch...he wouldn't job to HBK. And since Hogan had creative control, there was nothing the WWE could do about it...it was either go through with the match and let Hogan win, or scrap the whole program. In other words, Hogan pulled his typical political BS. And that's not even including, before the fued began, when Hogan demanded HBK turn heel in order to even have the two matches(which turned into one match).

So, on behalf of all the wrestlers that have been screwed over by Hogan, HBK mocked and humiliated Hogan for 20 minutes. Given everything Hogan's done in his career, there's not much you could do to him in the ring that he wouldn't deserve, and he most certainly deserved every second of this.

Oh, and back on topic, my favorite Hulk Hogan match is by far his match against Ultimate Warrior at Wrestlemania 6. I was just getting into wrestling at the time, and this was just the biggest thing ever at the time. And seeing Hogan lose cleanly was just the icing on the cake. Followed closely by Hogan vs. Rock.

You obviously don't follow wrestling. There was absolutely nothing wrong with anything that Shawn Michaels did in this match, which is why he had the support of every single person in the WWE and in the wrestling community in general. Only the Hogan fanboys think Hogan was right. He was the unprofessional a-hole, but that it's surprising from the guy who's been holding people down, no selling them, and embarassing them through his whole career.

What a load of bullshit. And how do you know he had the support of "every single person in the wrestling community and the wrestling community in general"? What a load of bullshit. ANd hilarious that HBK is being painted as some avenger for people being held down and not jobbing for them.

For those who don't know, Hogan and HBK agreed to two matches when they started their program.

According to...you? Completely unsubtantiated rumor that people have accepted as gospel.

The match at Summerslam where Hogan would win, and then a rematch at Unforgiven where HBK would win. Well, somehow, before the Summerslam match, Hogan "injured" his knee or hip or big toe or whatever and decided he wouldn't be able to go through with the agreement - oh, he'd still do the Summerslam match where he would win, of course, but he wouldn't be able to wrestle in the rematch...he wouldn't job to HBK. And since Hogan had creative control, there was nothing the WWE could do about it...it was either go through with the match and let Hogan win, or scrap the whole program. In other words, Hogan pulled his typical political BS. And that's not even including, before the fued began, when Hogan demanded HBK turn heel in order to even have the two matches(which turned into one match).

THis is the same HBK who currently holds the record for "most titles vacated", correct? Maybe HOgan just lost his smile, lol. Again, complete and utter horseshit, and there's no reason for Hogan to job to Shawn Michaels. It does nothing except stroke Shawn's ego. Shawn's career was already fully established. In a match up of legendary figures, the bigger star wins, unless the smaller star needs the rub. HUlk Hogan is a MUCH bigger star then HBK.
So, on behalf of all the wrestlers that have been screwed over by Hogan, HBK mocked and humiliated Hogan for 20 minutes.

Could you give an example? Because I can give you a few Shawn screwed over, if you'd like.

Given everything Hogan's done in his career, there's not much you could do to him in the ring that he wouldn't deserve, and he most certainly deserved every second of this.

Everything he's done...such as make it possible for ass-pimples like Shawn Michaels to become multimillionaires? Elevate the entire sport of wrestling into mainstream? Actually elevate a company to the top of the wrestling world, twice? Or we could do what Shawn did, like destroy kayfabe, robbing wrestling of a lot of it's magic. Or vacate titles rather then put people over. Yeah, and Shawn is widely accepted as the KING of backstage politicking, not Hogan.

Yeah, so maybe not so much with the pretending like Hogan was some cancer on wrestling and Shawn Michaels was the Defender of the Meek. HBK threw a temper tantrum like a bitch, and he's luck Hogan didn't hurt him, because while Hogan is no billy badass like Haku or anything, Shawn is widely accepted to be one of the biggest *****es in the sport, and Hogan is a large man who could have hurt him. Hogan acted like a professional. Shawn did not.

In fact, the two most unprofessional things in front of the curtain that I have ever seen all involved Shawn Michaels (three if we count the Montreal Screwjob): Shawn Michaels attempt to embarrass Hogan, and the MSG Curtain Call. WHat a surprise from someone who spent the majority of his career disrespecting his peers, disrespecting the business, refusing to do jobs, vacating titles, finding smiles, destroying kayfabe....whatever. It's no coincidence that the biggest periods of the WWF/E had very little to do with Shawn Michaels presence: the Golden Era of the 80's and the Attitude Era. Shawn Michaels is a guy who can work a great match, but that's about it, because he certainly can't be counted on to carry a company, like Hogan.

So, in closing, Hogan-Legendary figure who had a title kept on him because it was best for business, Shawn Michaels-good worker who got titles by brown-nosing and is renowned for being a terrible draw. Yeah, but Shawn deserved to go over. Because his career really needed it.

Maybe Shawn deserved the win because Hogan winning made a total mockery of the match. The guy could hardly move. Shawn literally wrestled himself in that match. Hogan couldn't do anything in the ring at that point (not talent-wise, but just physically speaking) and Hogan winning was stupid. Period. Shawn should have wiped the mat with him and everyone knew it. Shawn was probably pissed he had to job to that old man and rightfully so. Hogan never did anything for Shawn directly and likely hardly ever even talked to him in the early 90s. But since Hogan made the WWF popular and took his ball and went south, Shawn needs to job? Why do you think Vince let Shawn come out the next night and bury Hogan on the mic?

I'll throw my vote in for Hogan v. Rocky.

Why do you think Vince let Shawn come out the next night and bury Hogan on the mic?

Because Vince McMahon is a vindicitive asshole who hates anyone that doesn't do what he wants them to do? Nah couldn't be. I was actually a fan of Sting's comeback match with Bret Hart counting the pinfall. But as far as his greatest match goes I'm also gonna say Hogan and Savage.

Maybe Shawn deserved the win because Hogan winning made a total mockery of the match. The guy could hardly move. Shawn literally wrestled himself in that match. Hogan couldn't do anything in the ring at that point (not talent-wise, but just physically speaking) and Hogan winning was stupid. Period. Shawn should have wiped the mat with him and everyone knew it. Shawn was probably pissed he had to job to that old man and rightfully so. Hogan never did anything for Shawn directly and likely hardly ever even talked to him in the early 90s. But since Hogan made the WWF popular and took his ball and went south, Shawn needs to job? Why do you think Vince let Shawn come out the next night and bury Hogan on the mic?

I'll throw my vote in for Hogan v. Rocky.

Which would make sense, except the crowd popped their asses off to see HOgan win. Much ouder then, say, the crowd at HBK's retirement match a few months ago. It's wrestling. It's fake. The crowd pays to see Hogan win most ofh is matches. That's what MOST fans want. People on the internet fail to realize they make up a SMALL portion of fandom.

I agree with the few that said Wrestlemania V against Macho Man Randy Savage. The build up to the match was great. Having Miss Elizabeth in a neutral corner to fuel the feud was great also it played well into the match. Plus you have Jessie Ventura's hatred commentary against Hogan that always sells well for Hogan during his matches. I have to agree with Hulkamanic when he said the emotion felt very real in this one.

Hogan vs. Rock at Wrestlemania 18 is right up there as his best, but for me the biggest part of that match was the stare down, not so much the match itself.

Great Hogan matches you could probably count on one hand. I'm not trying to talk bad about the guy, but everyone in the business is known for something. Some are great in ring performers, some are charismatic and play to the crowd, some can work the mic and get the crowd jacked, and others can simply put asses in seats.

Hogan had a little bit of everything except great in ring work..but back in the day nobody really cared. He was a superhero that all kids looked up to and they just wanted to see the good guy win.

I agree the Savage-Hogan WM 5 match was up there...but to me when you bring in 2 superstars from different eras, mixed with a good build up and perhaps one of the greatest crowds EVER...if I had to sit through another Hulk Hogan match I'd probably put on Hogan-Rock from Wrestlemania. This is coming from a HUGE Randy Savage fan. The Mega-Powers explode I'd say was the better storyline...but as far as matches go, Hogan-Rock wins it for me.

The match Hogan himself might be most proud of could be Wrestlemania VI against the Ultimate Warrior for not only did he do the job, he also was able to drag a decent match out of the Warrior; something that not many were ever able to do.

well lets be honest here hogan isnt a good wrestler....he had maybe 1 good ppv match a year an the rest were typical hogan vs big man hulks up leg drop win

he had some good watchable matches against the likes of warrior at WM 6 ...Savage at WM 5 ...Mcmahon at WM 19 an Rock at 18

his best match ever would for me be vs savage at 5 as in that match there is actual wrestling ability on show even though savage carried him fr 20mins

Oh please. i love how you don't mention how HBK carried that entire program while Hogan sat on hit butt at home for over a month. I love how you fail to mention that Hogan showed up at Summerslam and flat out didn't want to do bussiness and does what he always does, looks out for Terry only.

Hogan showed 100 times more disrespect to HBK and the WWE through out the years than anything Shawn has ever done.

I can't stand Hogan, but I will give him credit. His match with Rock at Wrestlemania 18 was awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back