• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How would Triple H of fit into The Invasion angle?

rge2010

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Ok, this isn't another lets bash the Invasion thread. For what it is worth, at the time, I actually enjoyed the Invasion angle. It could of being much better (Goldberg, Hogan, Nash, etc) and maybe it was rushed but the reasons I am about to mention could just be why it WAS rushed.

If you cast your mind back to 2001, The Rock had left to make The Scorpion King and Triple H had that terrible injury in a match with Jericho. Add to that Rikishi and Benoit who were solid mid carders were also on the sidelines. WWE had suffered on the talent front and this is maybe why WWE made the call to get the Invasion Angle underway.

My question to you is what if Triple H hadn't of suffered that injury that sidelined him for most of 2001 when the angle took place? Austin and Triple H had just alligned themselves with McMahon and became the 'Power Trip'. How would Triple H of fit into the Invasion Angle?

My reckoning is that Austin and Triple H would of screwed WWE and McMahon and joined the Alliance to lead it as partners. It wouldnt of made sense to have them break up so early after they had alligned. If you remember, Kurt Angle joined The Alliance in order to 'boost up' their numbers. Would this spot of being Triple H's or would he of joined from the start?

WWE comes under alot of criticism for the Invasion Angle but I do think they tried to make the best of a bad situation.

He would have been with the Alliance for sure, he was getting way too much of heat as a heel for him to turn face at that point. And the Alliance was badly in need of top draws...look at their team at invasion Booker, DDP, Dudleys, Rhyno...they had make Austin be part of the alliance to make them look like a credible threat. So I was highly probable HHH would have been with the Alliance, specially with Stephanie as owner of ecw. The fact turn and popularity came after the big injury...without it, he was one of those heel who was not going to turn face too soon.

Wait, so the fact they had guys on the shelf is a reason to justify them rushing the storyline? What kind of sense does that make? If anything, it's more of a reason why the should have held off for a bit. If their guys were hurt and they couldn't get some of the bigger names from WCW until later, they should have waited until the time was right instead of rushing it.

Anywho, I think you may be right about Triple H's involvement. He likely would have jumped sides to the Alliance as well, though I could see it going both ways. Say Austin left and Hunter said that despite his issues with McMahon, he bleeds WWF. It could have been a decent way to turn him face, if nothing else.

He led the invasion on WCW b4 the end of the Monday Night wars ever happened :)
What does that tell you?

He would have been a leader of WWF and have had Stone Cold in his sights.

Just cause you are a heel doesn't meant you can stand up for something and automatically have to go against who you work for.
IMO but this same goes for Austin why would they have turn there backs on the WWF when WCW was the one that screwed them

First of all, its "HAVE" not "OF". Sorry to be picky but fuck that annoys me!

Anyway, I think HHH would definitely have been part of the Invasion angle. There is obviously the possiblity of him joining WCW due to his previous issues with Vince as a member of DX, and this being a perfect opportunity to take him down once and for all.

Hunter was a major heel at this point and would have been a perfect fit as the main leader in the Alliance, which would have allowed Austin to captain Team WWF and remain as the number 1 face in the company.

However, HHH could have been a great choice for Team WWF. He could have stated about how he broke into the business in WCW, and was treated as a nobody and never given his shot. He could say how much he despises the company for what they eventually became as everyone knows HHH is a big fan of the old school NWA style and of Dusty Rhodes and Ric Flair. He could go on to syay how great WCW was and how these guys on Team WCW helped to destroy it and that he wants it to be put to bed for good.

HHH led the DX "Invasion" of WCW during the Monday Night Wars and this would be a perfect opportunity to capitalise on that, with The Game saying that NOW is the time for WCW to be publicly humiated, and for him to put them out of business for ever.

I think that he would have ended up turning face at this point, as Austin jumping to WCW would be a bigger shock that HHH doing so, as Hunter was the heel and Austin the number 1 face in the WWE. I definitely think he would have ended up being a big part of Team WWF and doing his bit to destroy WCW. He could have feuded with Austin over the WWF title, or even Booker T for the WCW belt instead of The Rock.

Whatever he did as a member of Team WWF, he definitely would have been part of the WWF team, probably at the expense of Jericho, who may have jumped to WCW (he had the connections to do so) rather than Kurt Angle.

The scheduled Summerslam main event that year before Triple H got injured was Triple H vs. Steve Austin. So I'm guessing Austin would have still joined the Alliance and Triple H would have taken Angle's spot for the Summer Slam main and the face of team WWE.

well think about it maybe the invasion Angle wouldnt of taken place when it did, because before HHH got injuryed WWE was in the middle of a good storyline because Austin/HHH had just finished feuding with Taker/Kane and was about to feud with Jericho/Benoit over the WWE title and Tag titles so I reckon this feud would of lasted till maybe after KOTR and Austin would of blamed HHH for loosing the tag titles which would of set up their match for Summerslam. then around Survivor Seris thats when WCW would of started to invade the WWE and instead of having winner takes all at Survivor Seris it proberly would of happened at Wrestlemania but with more Big WCW names in the match because thats the time when Hogan/Nash/Hall would of returned so I think the winner takes all match at WM would of been Hogan/Nash/Hall/Booker T/RVD vs Austin/HHH/Angle/Jericho/Big Show because You could of had someone from WCW challenge the Undertaker for his Streak. just my opinion!

I'm gonna say it would have gone along the lines of how Shooter and the Natural have described it. HHH being part of that DX invasion is too much to not make some sort of plot point. And Jericho replacing Kurt Angle in WCW? Makes perfect sense. But a random question..where was Eddie during the invasion?

@ncb619 Eddie was released prior to all the WCW stuff due to a drug problem.

HHH was rumored to turn face right after WM to feud with a heel Austin. At NWO HHH beat Austin in the 2 out of 3 falls match, which originally was going to be the reason for a rematch at Backlash. Once Vince bought WCW, the plans got altered, and HHH stayed heel a little longer than he was suppose to. At Judgement Day '01, Austin's run in, cost HHH the I-C Belt vs Kane and the next night on Raw HHH was supposed to be blamed for losing the Tag titles. As far as who's spot that HHH would of taken at Invasion, It probably would of been Jericho or Kane. As a few previous posters already stated, HHH would of replaced Angle at SummerSlam, however it is unknown if Angle would of still joined the Alliance.

He was also still "married" to Stephanie at the time, and she was the "owner" of ECW. So if they stayed with WWF they would have probably done a divorce angle, or he'd be apart of the Invasion for some reason.

I think he would have lead the WWF until the Rock came back.

More importantly, I have no doubt that Triple H would have been the first undisputed champion had he not been injured. I have heard many times that Vince thought H would be healed in time to win the belt in December. Jericho was an ok choice, but he really wasn't on the level of Austin, Rock, and Angle when he won the tournament. Triple H was Vince's guy, and would have been much more suited to be the first undisputed champion.

The plan was in place to have HHH turn face against Austin as a couple of the posters above stated. So HHH would have spearheaded WWE's charge against the alliance.

I think he would have lead the WWF until the Rock came back.

More importantly, I have no doubt that Triple H would have been the first undisputed champion had he not been injured. I have heard many times that Vince thought H would be healed in time to win the belt in December. Jericho was an ok choice, but he really wasn't on the level of Austin, Rock, and Angle when he won the tournament. Triple H was Vince's guy, and would have been much more suited to be the first undisputed champion.

I think you could be right. I remember as a kid getting angry while watching Vengeance, cause Triple H was all over the promotional stuff, and he didn't make an appearance

I have to say the Invasion angle probably would've been even worse had Triple H been around, I mean, in retrospect the WWE pretty much demolished The Aliance, imagine if Triple H had been there too. Who in the world was he going to job to in the invasion? I don't think Stone Cold or Kurt Angle ever really jobbed to anyone in the alliance, and I seriously doubt Triple H would've been the guy to do it either. That angle was screwed from the start.

I agree with the above poster, HHH would have made the situation worse.

But if they really wanted to have HHH in the story, they should have started to build up guys that USED to be in WCW and be apart of the Alliance a few weeks or months before the invasion.

Have guys get "fed up" with the WWF. And say things like, if WCW was still around...... I forget who was on the roster, but they could have slowly made some WWF guys into WCWs before they brought in the others. Guys like Austin, Show, Jericho, Benoit, etc. Even though they constantly badmouthed WCW for years, they could have played off that Billionare Ted was still signing their checks and paid them to have them dismantle the WWF from the inside. Then the teams would have been a bit more evenly matched. Then slowly they would bring in Booker, DDP, Kanyon, etc. I think the biggest twist would have been to bring in Bischoff and act as Ted's voice and lead everyone. But then of course it wouldn't be a McMahon Family showcase anymore..........

Then they could have had the long time feuding Rock and HHH (instead of Jericho) put their differences aside and team up for the better good of the company. They would lead the charge against the Alliance. But still not trust each other. In the end HHH would slam Rock with the chair, and Rock would still win the match. And then Flair comes out the next night, etc, etc.

I like to think that Triple H would've been a leader of team WWE right up there with The Undertaker. I think he could've played up the whole "WCW shit on me, so I'm gonna shit on them!" just like several others did. He could have played out the whole invasion angle and then turned heel as soon as it was over and he still would've had as much heat as before.

The only scenario I'd like to see where Triple H was a member of The Alliance would've been if Hall and Nash came in with WCW.

i agree what HHH would have made the situation worse but for Beniot could be great if he involve in invasion angle. in this invasion angle it gave Kurt and jericho the chance to shine. i'm happy HHH got injured bring out the best of Kurt Angle with the transformation from been heel to strong babyface is incredible. the great moment is SS match that the fans actually backs on Kurt and boo Austin. see the Kurt Angle got screwed is truely classic...i really feel the emotional that kurt had.

I actually enjoyed the invasion angle , one of the few times i actually watched WWE with any regularity,Tripps could have been huge in this angle in my opinion , he could have been used as a former WCW employee who was pissed at them for not giving him a fair chance and out to proove he is better than the WCW talent he wrestled with by beating them all , it could have worked well i think , Vince would have been happy with it also because he seemed to want to prove his guys were better than WCW's guys, at least thats the way it seemed with the way the whole angle was booked with most WCW guys being buried with only a few rising to the top.Plus it would have been a good way to turn him face.

I too think that the original plan that the WWF had was for a face Triple H vs heel Austin feud to dominate the WWF during the summer possibly leading to a Summerslam main event. You could see the seeds for a Triple H face turn being planted at almost every show. Austin would end up getting into trouble and HHH would save his ass. Eventually you could see HHH telling Austin that he was tired of living in Austin's shadow and turning face. But with Triple H getting injured, the WWF's plans had tobe changed. I also think that WWF had little faith in Benoit and Jericho to perform as babyfaces against Austin. Possibly they feared that Austin would get cheered over them as very few people were booing Austin at that point anyway.

I think that the original plan for the Invasion angle for it to start at sometime around WrestleMania 18 by which time the WWF would have procured the likes of Hogan and Flair. I think that Triple H would have been in team WWF with the likes of Rock, Austin( who would have turned face by then) and Undertaker. I think that the plan was for The Allaince to be led by the wrestlers who were originally in the WCW but because of the angle being rushed WWF had to suffice with the top heels in the WWF leading The Allaince.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back