• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How well did Christian do representing and leading ECW?

How well did Christian do as the face of ECW?

• Excellent

• Good

• So-So

• Bad

• Terrible

• I have no idea...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sasori

Pope of Dope
Well, in case you haven't noticed, Christian's time in ECW is almost over on ECW. So what I wanna know is your opinion on how well Christian did on being the face of ECW?

Christians ECW timeline recap:

Feb. 10 2009, Christian returns, and is imediatlely in the ECW championship title hunt. He resorts to his quick wit, and insults the shit out of than reigning ECW champ Jack Swagger. And beats him on the same night.

Back Lash 2009, he defeats Jack Swagger to become the ECW champion. He went on to have a decent 2-3 month reign, dropping the belt to Tommy Dreamer at Extreme Rules.

Night of Champions 2009, he defeats Tommy Dreamer in a really predictable, boring, yet back and forth match for the ECW championship.

And after that he's been ECW champ ever since. He's had countless title matches, and has obviously won them all. Defeated everyone in ECW there is to beat. Put over Ryder, Regal, and Yoshi Tatsu (WOOO ASIAN PRIDE =D). He had a fantastic back and forth match with Chris Jericho, who he surprisingly beat in a squeaky clean fashion. And now he must defend the ECW championship against Shelton Benjamin in a ladders match at TLC which is totally gonna kick major ass! My prediction is that he will retain the strap, but will lose it shortly afterwards to god knows who because it SEEMS like Christian's time in ECW is coming to an end.

So anyways I think he did an excellent job leading the ECW brand. He has always been built as a strong and dominant champ, got some big wins, and put some people over. And has been constantly stealing the show. Also he's been getting those major pops, and finally changed (hopefully) Grandpa Vinnie's mind, and made him realize he should have pushed Christian because the guy can do wonders.

Well, in case you haven't noticed, Christian's time in ECW is almost over on ECW.

He did a really good job and ECW (the WWE version anyway) during Christian's time as the top face was the best it's been since the brand's creation. It has been excellent because ECW became a lot more interesting with Christian as its top face. It also became a show I looked forward to weekly rather than watching just for it being the third WWE brand.

However I must ask you one thing, how do you know his time on ECW is almost over? I know that there are rumors of big changes coming to the brand, and that many fans want Christian to get moved up to Raw or Smackdown, but how do you know that his time on the brand is coming to an end yet? I think you should have left that part out since we don't know for sure if he is going anywhere yet.

I think that his time on ECW has run it's course, I'll say that. And if it's time for him to lose the strap, why not to Benjamin in an awesome ladder match at TLC? WWE wants to do something with Benjamin before it's too late--he's getting that "career midcarder" smell.

Give Benjamin the ECW strap and make it someone's job to teach him to do a decent promo. Here's a start--give Christian a month off until the Rumble, and have Benjamin give the heel promo that Kenny King gave about injuring I think Jerry Lynn in ROH. It's on youtube, I saw it on a wrestling blog a few weeks ago. It was a mix of athlete cliches you'd hear in any post-game interview in the NBA or NFL or baseball, with some cold-blooded comments about people get hurt in this business, this business is about people getting hurt.

But that's all off-topic. Christian has done pretty well as ECW champ, making the upper-developmental talent look good without looking weak himself. ZAch Ryder, Yoshi Tatsu came out of their runs at the title stronger than they went in. Christian's feud with Swagger didn't take anything away from Swagger. Benjamin, we'll see. Regal looks like a credible heel, credit to both him and Christian.

So, yeah, pretty good report card for the veteran Developmental TV Champion. I didn't rate it "excellent", because he didn't make ECW a must-watch show.

At the moment, Christian is probably the WWE's best example of how a champion can be made to look strong while also making the competition look equally strong. He's helped elevate -- at least briefly -- guys like Zack Ryder and Yoshi Tatsu, made the ECW title seem like a championship worth fighting for and has managed to build on already extremely strong popularity among viewers. He gets a solid "A" on his report card.

As I've said before, I don't see Shelton Benjamin walking out of TLC as ECW Champion. Instead, I see Christian retaining in what could be a match-of-the-night contender. Both men will pull out all the stops, with Christian retaining in the end.

Early reports indicate Bryan Danielson is scheduled to report to ECW soon. He's the person I believe WWE is going to have end Christian's reign. It would be in keeping with the trend of introducing fresh new faces to the ECW and almost immediately putting the belt on those people. In the past, we've seen this done with Kane, Mark Henry, Jack Swagger and even Christian himself.

While these -- with the exception of Swagger -- are all experienced WWE talent, the "E" clearly views the ECW title as a means of testing the waters with performers. They gave Swagger his first taste of gold there and used ECW to return Christian to the collective consciousness of the WWE Universe as well. It seems reasonable to me that Danielson would make his debut on ECW, taking the belt from Christian soon thereafter to try his hand at carrying the brand for a while.

Should this happen, it's once again another great way Christian will man up to the job of putting over a new talent. Ideally, given how incredibly well he's done for himself and the brand during his time in ECW, it will free Christian up to move forward to bigger, better things. Or, if WWE really wanted Christian to make his mark in the history books, maybe he could become the first guy in WWECW history to hold the belt three times?

As clearly the most popular guy on the brand, the WWE's longest reigning current champion and owner of a fairly impressive win-streak, he's had one of the best years of his career and is primed for something incredible to happen to build upon that. It's good to note he's earned every bit of it!

Christian was an excellent champ. He was strong, held onto it for a long time, and put over his challengers really well. He truly is the best champ in the WWE at this moment. He had great matches against great challengers and made both himself and the challengers look credible and worthy. I mean, I thought for a second Zack Ryder was going to unseat him. Zack Ryder! That speaks volumes for both him and Christian.

Christian looked a little rusty when he came back, but that was expected. But he has really been the best champ in the E since capturing the ECW title for the 2nd time. His reign has been strong, despite not being featured on the PPV cards. He had a strong feud with Regal, stellar matches with Ryder and Yoshi, and should have a great match with Shelton this Sunday at TLC. He has been booked well and he had a good showing at Survivor Series with Kofi. I think the WWE knows Christian is a main eventer on the C Show and will be a huge star when he moves to Raw or SD.

I honestly believe Christian will drop the title to Shelton at TLC. And I think he has a strong shot at winning the Royal Rumble. Winning the Rumble allows Christian to move to SD or Raw without having a draft. Plus there isn't much for him to do on ECW after he drops the belt. He could defeat Shelton at TLC and drop the title soon after that. Either way I do believe Christian is going to be switching brands soon and it is well deserved. ECW will be different without Captain C, as he has done a great job of repping the land of extreme not just as a champion, but as a superstar. He has been the top face since joining the brand and he has been one of the E's best assets despite being on the C show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back