• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How To Improve/Make King of the Ring Relevant Again

rge2010

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Growing up, KOTR was one of my favourite PPV's. I remember the very first one which was televised on PPV in 1993 which Bret Hart won. A few months before, Bret had lost his title to "Hulk Hogan" at Wrestlemania 9. I remember Bret entering this competition and winning it. He was crowned KOTR and it made him relevant again and softened the blow of him losing the WWF Title a month or two before. He was up there with the WWF Champion. Over the years, KOTR really springboarded talents like Austin, Triple H, Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar onto superstardom.

I keep reading newsfeeds here on Wrestlezone regarding changes WWE are currently making and I long to see KOTR up there amongst the Tag Division, Cruserweight division, etc etc.

DATE
If I was given the choice, I would bring back KOTR and place it in June where it used to be. It seems the June PPV keeps changing as previously it was Fatal 4-Way and this year was Capitol Punishment, a PPV theme they probably won't keep in 2012. The perfect excuse to bring back this PPV.

WEBSITE
Right, that is the easy part, but how do we garner interest from a fans perspective? I want to see WWE really make this a big deal and plug this tournament like they plug the Royal Rumble. Give KOTR its own website with all the Wrestlers on there. Have bios, KOTR history, exclusive interviews with past winners, brackets showing the match ups/winners/losers.

PARTICIPANTS
I would start this tournament off with a series of 'Preliminary matches'. Have these matches on Superstars, NXT and even exclusive matches on the KOTR website. The amount of match ups can be any number, hell include the entire roster, even use some FCW talent! But ideally we want to whittle it down to 16 Raw Superstars and 16 Smackdown Superstars when the 'main tournament starts'. I would suggest the only people exempt from this tournament should be WWE Champion, WHW Champion and the two number one contenders at the time.

RAW & SMACKDOWN
So now we have 32 Superstars from Raw and Smackdown. That is a total of 16 match ups. Over the coming weeks leading up to the event these matches take place exclusively on Raw, yes, Raw is the 'A-show' and we are suddenly down to 16 Superstars. Now we have 8 matches, exclusively on Raw and the winners of these matches take us down to 8 Superstars.

PPV MATCHES
Four Quarter Final matches take place, Two Semi Final matches take place and then the Final takes place. The PPV is centered around this tournament so it must go LAST! WWE Title and WHW Title can go after the Semi Finals so you have 3 big match ups to close the PPV. Tell you why in my next bit.

REWARD FOR THE WINNER
Like the Royal Rumble winner, the KOTR winner gets a Title shot at Summerslam. The current WWE Champion and WHW Champion come out for the KOTR Final match up and watch closeley from afar. When the winner is declared, and given his crown/throne etc he decides which title he wants to go for. Having both Champions watching the match closely make this accolade relevant. They are worried about their title and it puts the winner in a strong position (beaten 31 other men).

If they were to hold this I would have the 8 partipipants strong. If Cena or Orton doesn't have the Title then put them in this tournament. If a main eventer wins the tournament, then so be it, it gives it more prestige. If an 'up and comer' wins this tournament, then you could have a star in the making. Someone like Miz or Barrett could really profit from this and carry the 'Kings Swagger' that comes with it.

There is no reason, with alot of focus why this PPV shouldnt sell well. Rumble and MITB always do ok in numbers because the winner of said matches gets something, and it creates a storyline and rewards the victor.

The title shot is the only thing that would make it relevant...or even a swerve and the winner gets to CHOOSE which PPV he gets his title shot at, and can choose whenever he wants up until the day before the PPV...that would be interesting, and would probably set up some nice Triple Threat matches and/or a few more surprises to keep the product fresh.

Well a start would be making the winner less irrelevant. I absolutely still hate the fact that William Regal won the KoTR in 2008(?). He was pretty irrelevant with nothing on in for him heading into the tournament, and after the tournament he was still pretty irrelevant. I don't think he had an actual feud after winning, did they?

I really like what they did with Booker T after he won the tournament. After winning, he debuted a new gimmick/name, King Booker. His wife Queen Sharmel with her annoying "ALL HAIL KING BOOKER!" made you really hate the guy that much more. I've always liked Booker T, but never as much as I did when he was King Booker and was a pretty dominate World Heavyweight Champion.

Now, I'm not saying everyone who wins should insert "King" before their name or anything like that. All I'm saying is that actually DO something with the winner. They're the KING of the ring. Being KING of something shouldn't mean irrelevance.

PS.

I totally forgot about Sheamus' King of the Ring win last year. I'm not 100% positive, but I don't think anything came out of that, did it?

Bringing back the title shot would make it more interesting,more desired.

I'd ditch the July PPV and have the KOTR winner choose which champ he'll face at Summerslam.Ditching the July PPV would allow more time,more anticipation to build up to summerslam,allow the feud/storyline time to build.

Regal was going to be pushed to the title after his KOTR win till his drug suspension... He and Trips were going to go at it... Regal was absolutly relevant at the time, with the GM/taking RAW off air angle... Such a shame it never happened.

I think KOTR would work, but not with the title shot at SS.. I think the winner should have their title shot that night... the best KOTR angles were always the ones where someone like Savio went through the tourney on a fairytale run... The champ would also wrestle to even it up... Hell i'd even make the champs part of it, they can always do the DQ loss for them.

Ok there's several ways they can do this.

You can put 32 superstars in there from Raw, Smackdown, NXT n stuff and do it in a format similar to the NCAAB tournament and have em go at each other until there's only one left.

However if you do it with 32 superstars. I think one way that would make it more interesting is every round you make it a diff kind of match. So for example:

Round 1- All 16 matches would be a standard match
Round 2- All 8 matches would be a Submission match
Round 3- All 4 matches would be a No DQ match
Round 4- Both matches would be a Steel Cage Or Hell in a Cell Match
Round 5- The Finals of the KOTR tournament would be a TLC match.

or any variation of matches to make the superstar who wins it actually earn it by competing in diff kinds of matches instead of just every match being a normal match.

Another idea is you have it similar to like it is now with 8 superstars... but only ones that are actually relevant (excluding WWE, WHC champs n #1 contenders). So for example right now you could have:

Raw: Jack Swagger, CM Punk, John Morrison & prob Kofi Kingston

Smackdown: Christian, Sheamus, Wade Barrett, Cody Rhodes (Left out Daniel Bryan cause of MITB, Left out Sin Cara because of his issues going on).

No matter which way they do it, I definitely think they need to make it a Title Shot for the winner similar to MITB where they can pick their champion at any ppv and the type of match, however dont let it be like MITB where they can go in at the end of say Orton vs Mark Henry at Night of Champions and cash it in on a vulnerable Orton or Henry.

I think if WWE was smart about it, they could definitely make KOTR relevant again and make it worth something

The King of the Ring match finals have to be on PPV, and the winner earns a shot at the next ppv. In that way it can become relevant again imo.

I like these ideas and I'd really like to see it be brought back to PPV with the coronation and everything afterwards. I agree, it should be brought back in June since that PPV always seems to change names every year. I think just the Final 4 should be at the actual PPV, that way the tournament only takes up 3 matches on the card. The semifinals and final.

I even like the idea of having each level of the tourney be more difficult, with NO DQ in the 2nd round, Steel Cage matches in the semi's, and a TLC match in the final. Wouldn't matter to me if the winner gets a title shot that night or at SummerSlam. Either way it would help make the winner of the tournament relevant again.

When Sheamus won it last year, he went on a small run and became US Champ. That was all that came of it.

The only thing I don't agree with is the person who said to make the champions part of the tournament. No, they should have their own feuds going and separate title matches at the PPV. The tourney is for someone to be pushed to that main event level, not for people who are already there. Midcarders like Ziggler, Rhodes, Morrison, or Barrett would make a good winner. Or maybe someone who was once a main eventer and has fallen off, but is climbing his way back up like The Miz, Rey Mysterio, The Big Show or Christian for example.

It would also be cool to see a complete wild card like Justin Gabriel, Zack Ryder, Drew McIntyre, or Tyson Kidd make a cinderella run at least to the semi-finals.

-Announce that the final will be a triple threat elimination match.
-The tournament should only consist of 12 midcard wrestlers, 6 from Raw and 6 from Smackdown.
-Have all 6 first round matches take place on the first week (3 matches for Raw, 3 for Smackdown?).
-All 3 semi-final matches take place on the second week.
-Use the remaining 2 weeks to build-up the Triple Threat Final.
-Have the tournament start after the July PPV and have the final at SummerSlam.
-Winner gets to challenge their brand's champion at any pre-determined time.
-Unlike the MitB contract, the KOTR winner must announce a date for when he will challenge the champion (this will allow time to build towards the title match, rather than slingshotting someone into a poor title run).

I like these ideas and I'd really like to see it be brought back to PPV with the coronation and everything afterwards. I agree, it should be brought back in June since that PPV always seems to change names every year. I think just the Final 4 should be at the actual PPV, that way the tournament only takes up 3 matches on the card. The semifinals and final.

I even like the idea of having each level of the tourney be more difficult, with NO DQ in the 2nd round, Steel Cage matches in the semi's, and a TLC match in the final. Wouldn't matter to me if the winner gets a title shot that night or at SummerSlam. Either way it would help make the winner of the tournament relevant again.

When Sheamus won it last year, he went on a small run and became US Champ. That was all that came of it.

Yeah I honestly think that if they are gonna bring the KOTR tourney back... they need to hack it a little bit from recent tourneys. Definitely add in the title shot for the winner... but honestly I think they need to do the idea like I said of making each match a different kind of match because other wise they are just normal matches, and you can pretty much predict who will win each match. Where as if u add in no DQ's, Hell in a Cell, Steel Cages, TLC, and stuff, it makes it more unpredictable who will win, and that much more exciting

Hold on... I got a great idea for WWE and for the fans.

You know how ESPN does those Tournament challenge things for the NCAA Tournament? Where if someone correctly guesses every game right they win $1 Million.

Well here's what WWE should do with the KOTR Tourney

Have matches to qualify for the KOTR Tourney

- 32 Participants (Include Raw, Smackdown, and NXT)
- Have each Round a different type of match for example:

- Have the Finals at the PPV before Summerslam.. (whatever the PPV is that year) with the Winner getting a title shot from his brand at Summerslam. So if Christian won.. he'd face the SD champ, if Cena won he'd face the Raw Champ and such.

Now here's where they'd really hit it big with this tournament.

The 32 names have been randomly placed in the brackets. Then what WWE should do is, put a WWE KOTR Bracket Challenge on WWE.com

Let fans go on and submit their bracket of how they think each round will play out with each round labeled as what kind of match it would be so for example:

Round 1 Swagger beats Evan Bourne in a standard match, and Ziggler beat Kofi in a standard match, and then if that played out theyd face each other in round 2, and the fan would know ok it's going to be a DQ match, and make their pick based on that for each round.

And if a fan correctly picks every match.. then they win a trip to Wrestlemania the following year. I'd be willing to bet you that w/ all these ideas combined that WWE would successfully revive the KOTR tourney.

stop messing around with over the top ideas, a kotr would work simply if the winner gets a title shot, do a massive tournie that ends up with 8 participants at a kotr ppv, main event final and a shot at summerslam, the idea that they will definitely face their brans champ is a good one whoever said that, it will work, did for brock though i know their was a ppv in between.

stop messing around with over the top ideas, a kotr would work simply if the winner gets a title shot, do a massive tournie that ends up with 8 participants at a kotr ppv, main event final and a shot at summerslam, the idea that they will definitely face their brans champ is a good one whoever said that, it will work, did for brock though i know their was a ppv in between.

who said anything about over the top ideas? I thought my idea was actually a pretty good one. Screw having a PPV strictly for KOTR. That means no Diva's matches, no tag team matches, no US title matches, no IC matches, no WWE or WHC matches.

This would be my tourney. The way I've booked WWE up through June of next year, Chris Jericho would be WWE Champ if he returned and he'd be a face. The Miz would be his challenger. Then Cody Rhodes would be WHC and Randy Orton would be the challenger. So count those 4 out. I'm also gonna count out The Rock because who knows if he'd even be at this PPV, and even if he was, he'd be in a much bigger match than anything involving the tourney. So with that said, here's my 16...

*John Morrison vs. Drew McIntyre
Justin Gabriel vs. Wade Barrett*
*(DQ) Ezekiel Jackson vs. Alberto Del Rio
Sheamus vs. R-Truth*
*Zack Ryder vs. Tyson Kidd
Alex Riley vs. Dolph Ziggler*
Daniel Bryan vs. Christian*
*Rey Mysterio vs. Sin Cara

*John Morrison vs. Wade Barrett
Ezekiel Jackson vs. R-Truth*
Zack Ryder vs. Dolph Ziggler*
*Rey Mysterio vs. Christian

*John Morrison vs. R-Truth
Rey Mysterio vs. Dolph Ziggler*

John Morrison vs. Dolph Ziggler*

Then he'd go on to face Chris Jericho after he successfully defended against The Miz.

You want the King Of The Ring to be improved / relevant again?? Then what about this??

Quarter Finals
Match 1
Raw Money In The Bank Winner vs. Smackdown Money In The Bank Winner
Match 2
Intercontinental Champion vs. United States Champion
Match 3
WWE Tag Team Champion vs. WWE Tag Team Champion
Match 4
WWE Champion vs. World Heavyweight Champion

Semi Finals
Match 5
Match 1 Winner vs. Match 2 Winner
Match 6
Match 3 Winner vs. Match 4 Winner

Finals
Match 7
Match 5 Winner vs. Match 6 Winner

This will not only bring back prestige to the Crown of the WWE, but it will definitely bring ratings and buys in.

Putting the WWE Champion and World Heavyweight Champion in the tourney defeats the purpose of pushing new talent to the forefront.

You want the King Of The Ring to be improved / relevant again?? Then what about this??

Quarter Finals
Match 1
Raw Money In The Bank Winner vs. Smackdown Money In The Bank Winner
Match 2
Intercontinental Champion vs. United States Champion
Match 3
WWE Tag Team Champion vs. WWE Tag Team Champion
Match 4
WWE Champion vs. World Heavyweight Champion

Semi Finals
Match 5
Match 1 Winner vs. Match 2 Winner
Match 6
Match 3 Winner vs. Match 4 Winner

Finals
Match 7
Match 5 Winner vs. Match 6 Winner

This will not only bring back prestige to the Crown of the WWE, but it will definitely bring ratings and buys in.

That would be good for a "Champions" King of the Ring or something.. but in order to really be relevant again you need more then just champions. I mean there could be a REAL King of the Ring Champion that could win the tournament that doesnt hold a title. I mean lets look at some examples- Kane, Big Show, Mark Henry, Sheamus, Wade Barrett, Ezekiel Jackson. None of them currently have a title (even tho Mark Henry is going for it at Night of Champions). But everyone of them could win the KOTR tourney.

Also while Daniel Bryan still has his MITB briefcase. Del Rio cashed his in, so would that mean Del Rio would have to fight as the Raw MITB winner and the WWE Champ?

Putting the WWE Champion and World Heavyweight Champion in the tourney defeats the purpose of pushing new talent to the forefront.

That would be good for a "Champions" King of the Ring or something.. but in order to really be relevant again you need more then just champions. I mean there could be a REAL King of the Ring Champion that could win the tournament that doesnt hold a title. I mean lets look at some examples- Kane, Big Show, Mark Henry, Sheamus, Wade Barrett, Ezekiel Jackson. None of them currently have a title (even tho Mark Henry is going for it at Night of Champions). But everyone of them could win the KOTR tourney.

Also while Daniel Bryan still has his MITB briefcase. Del Rio cashed his in, so would that mean Del Rio would have to fight as the Raw MITB winner and the WWE Champ?

You’re both right, the KOTR should be used for non-Champions and could elevate the King, but just to get it where we want it to be, I think the next one should feature the WWE’s “Best” at the given time period. Who better than the Superstars with the Gold?? I'm thinking about ratings and buys, and not what it should actually be used for.

I was thinking they should hold this next year after Money In The Bank, but ADR having two spots in the tournament could be used if he was a part of the new “Corporation”. Interesting idea.

You’re both right, the KOTR should be used for non-Champions and could elevate the King, but just to get it where we want it to be, I think the next one should feature the WWE’s “Best” at the given time period. Who better than the Superstars with the Gold?? I'm thinking about ratings and buys, and not what it should actually be used for.

I was thinking they should hold this next year after Money In The Bank, but ADR having two spots in the tournament could be used if he was a part of the new “Corporation”. Interesting idea.

Dude first off all just because a guy like Del Rio is champion doesnt mean he is rating or buys.

I mean good rating or buys would be stars like John Cena, Randy Orton, CM Punk, Miz, Alex Riley (as of late), Big Show & Kane (when they're there), Rey Mysterio, Evan Bourne, Kofi Kingston among others, stars that people wanna see every night. Not stars like Alberto Del Rio, where every time he's on TV people hit the mute button because of him and his stupid announcer.

People pay to see their favorite star in action. Just because Del Rio is the WWE Champion doesn't mean he's a fan favorite. I mean lets look at the current champions in WWE:

Del Rio (WWE Champ)- some fans like him, but not an overwhelming amount

Randy Orton (WHC)- A very big fan favorite

Cody Rhodes (IC)- again not a big fan favorite

Dolph Ziggler (US)- not a very big fan favorite

"Air Boom" Kofi Kingston & Evan Bourne- Both are big fan favorites

Kelly Kelly (Divas)- big fan favorite

So out of that u got the WHC, Tag Champs & Divas Champ that a large amount of people like. Where as WWE, IC, & US titles have a marginal fan base at best.

If you're going to do a KOTR tournament it needs to be done one of 2 ways.

The way a couple of us mentioned before and have 32 superstars in it (excluding WHC, WWE Champ, Both #1 contenders, and MITB holders) So in this case Del Rio, Cena, Orton, Henry and Daniel Bryan should not be in it.

And have the winner get a chance to face their brand's champion at Summer Slam... so If Miz won he'd face either Del Rio or Cena. If Christian won.. he'd face either Orton or Henry. Daniel Bryan doesn't need it because he's already got a title opportunity whenever he wants up until WM next year.

Or you have everyone elligible for the KOTR tournament even if they have a huge title... but then what if say Del Rio still had the title and won the KOTR tournament? I mean he couldn't face himself at Summer Slam unless he had a twin that we dk about or something. Which in the long run would not help revive the KOTR tourney

I would like to see the King of the Ring tournament replace the EC ppv in february and have the KOTR winner get the other shot at wrestlemania. EC is a cool enough concept to sell itself even without the wrestlemania implications and should be moved later in the year, maybe December and have it be just one EC match for the WWE or World Championship.

Hold on... I got a great idea for WWE and for the fans.

You know how ESPN does those Tournament challenge things for the NCAA Tournament? Where if someone correctly guesses every game right they win $1 Million.

Well here's what WWE should do with the KOTR Tourney

Have matches to qualify for the KOTR Tourney

- 32 Participants (Include Raw, Smackdown, and NXT)
- Have each Round a different type of match for example:

- Have the Finals at the PPV before Summerslam.. (whatever the PPV is that year) with the Winner getting a title shot from his brand at Summerslam. So if Christian won.. he'd face the SD champ, if Cena won he'd face the Raw Champ and such.

Now here's where they'd really hit it big with this tournament.

The 32 names have been randomly placed in the brackets. Then what WWE should do is, put a WWE KOTR Bracket Challenge on WWE.com

Let fans go on and submit their bracket of how they think each round will play out with each round labeled as what kind of match it would be so for example:

Round 1 Swagger beats Evan Bourne in a standard match, and Ziggler beat Kofi in a standard match, and then if that played out theyd face each other in round 2, and the fan would know ok it's going to be a DQ match, and make their pick based on that for each round.

And if a fan correctly picks every match.. then they win a trip to Wrestlemania the following year. I'd be willing to bet you that w/ all these ideas combined that WWE would successfully revive the KOTR tourney.

This is the best idea BY FAR out there if they plan on trying to revive and make the KOTR tournament relevant again. Its too bad WWE doesnt let us send Ideas to them or I totally would send this to them.

Thank You Jesus, Finally somebody feel the same way I do about the King of The Ring. But like one poster just said, a Title Shot is the only thing that can make the King Of The Ring Relevant again. And do it at Summerslam. But the thing with this is, that in my opinion both title shots and the tournament itself lost it's integrity.

The reason I think the title shot lost it's integrity, is although Money In the Bank Ladder Match was a very genius idea for a good match and a good stipulation, How many people really ease their way to the wwe title? Basically saying it was a complete disrepect to the integrity of Wrestling.

As far as the king of the ring Goes, William Regal was picked for a push after winning it in 08 due to his general manager status. But nowadays, Wrestling or King Of The Ring is just Predictable. Think about it, who would've ever thought that in 1996 Stone Cold Steve Austin will go from the ring master to winning the KOTR and becoming the Most Popular Superstar of all time starting with Austin 3:16 and u know the rest. Who would've thought in 1997 Triple H will win the KOTR and go on to marry the bosses daughter, become a many time WWE Champion and become WWE Executive Vice President. Hey and King Mabel. Was he supposed to win? And who would've ever thought Billy Gunn would win the King Of The Ring back in 1999?

My point is, to me the king of the ring is a stepping stone for careers and is well needed. The King Of The Ring to me is WWE's version of the NCAA College Basketball Tournament, cause you never know what was going to happen and the outcomes of the match are unpredictable. But the most honest thing that ever took place in the King Of The Ring, was Owen Hart Not becoming WWF champion after his win in 1994. And Shawn Michaels never winning it at all. It's sad but the truth. But King Of The Ring used to be one of the most excitiing times of the year, and I hope someone is reading from the WWE and values our opinion, and giving us what the fans want.

I would like to see the King of the Ring tournament replace the EC ppv in february and have the KOTR winner get the other shot at wrestlemania. EC is a cool enough concept to sell itself even without the wrestlemania implications and should be moved later in the year, maybe December and have it be just one EC match for the WWE or World Championship.

Only thing tho is. the PPV's in the summer between WM and SS need some build up storylines. Which is why the idea that some of us came up with for a tourney of 32 stars works best because you have all that time between a Minor PPV in June or July (that keep changing every year) and SummerSlam which is usually in August I think. Where as in the beginning of the calendar year you've got the Royal Rumble and Elimination Chamber leading up to Wrestlemania which are all big PPV's.

For EC what I think they should do is go back to the way they use to do it. And have them defend their titles in the EC instead of for #1 contenders. Because lets say CM Punk won the Royal Rumble... He doesn't need to go to an EC match for a #1 contender spot or for the title, because he'd get a 1v1 at WM. By making the champs defend their title at EC gives the RR winner a chance to see weaknesses of the champion of his choice and such.

Otherwise I would agree with it, but like with my idea for the KOTR tourney.. youd need more then just the time between RR & WM to decide it

Thank You Jesus, Finally somebody feel the same way I do about the King of The Ring. But like one poster just said, a Title Shot is the only thing that can make the King Of The Ring Relevant again. And do it at Summerslam. But the thing with this is, that in my opinion both title shots and the tournament itself lost it's integrity.

The reason I think the title shot lost it's integrity, is although Money In the Bank Ladder Match was a very genius idea for a good match and a good stipulation, How many people really ease their way to the wwe title? Basically saying it was a complete disrepect to the integrity of Wrestling.

As far as the king of the ring Goes, William Regal was picked for a push after winning it in 08 due to his general manager status. But nowadays, Wrestling or King Of The Ring is just Predictable. Think about it, who would've ever thought that in 1996 Stone Cold Steve Austin will go from the ring master to winning the KOTR and becoming the Most Popular Superstar of all time starting with Austin 3:16 and u know the rest. Who would've thought in 1997 Triple H will win the KOTR and go on to marry the bosses daughter, become a many time WWE Champion and become WWE Executive Vice President. Hey and King Mabel. Was he supposed to win? And who would've ever thought Billy Gunn would win the King Of The Ring back in 1999?

My point is, to me the king of the ring is a stepping stone for careers and is well needed. The King Of The Ring to me is WWE's version of the NCAA College Basketball Tournament, cause you never know what was going to happen and the outcomes of the match are unpredictable. But the most honest thing that ever took place in the King Of The Ring, was Owen Hart Not becoming WWF champion after his win in 1994. And Shawn Michaels never winning it at all. It's sad but the truth. But King Of The Ring used to be one of the most excitiing times of the year, and I hope someone is reading from the WWE and values our opinion, and giving us what the fans want.

So based on this.. I gather you'd like my idea of the KOTR Tourney?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back