• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How to Determine Number One Contenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE Great GAMMA

Pre-Show Stalwart
This is my first post so go easy on me

So we all know that the WWE is split between the 4 Big Shows

1 WrestleMania
2 SummerSlam
3 Survivor Series
4 The Royal Rumble

I know WM is later in the year than RR but hear me out. The show after WM a Tournament will start ( Kinda like the gold rush tournament of a couple of years back) this Tournament will conclude at Backlash where after the Wrestlemania rematches in the main event there will be a new Number 1 contender. Now this guy is the number 1 contender and will be in title matches until Summerslam where the fued will be concluded in a high profile stipulation match. The show after the last PPV before SummerSlam the new tournament starts and concludes at SummerSlam the winner of this is now the Number 1 Contender. And this continues until Royal Rumble. The Rumble winner must choose who he will face at WM before Elimination Chamber. The brand that does not have the winner of the RR will start a Tournament the next night which finishes at EC. Both titles will be determined by Elimination Chamber Matches. The Participants made up of the Number 1 or Number Two Contenders from throughout the year. And then have the two month build for WM!!!!

Keep MITB for that surprise title change during the year when things need to be shaken up.

What would you guys do???

Not that I'm not a big fan of tournaments, but that many in one year could just be seen as excessive. Maybe it's just Russo's influence, but TNA tends to show just how tiresome repetitive tournaments can be. I think just once a year is good enough for the tournaments, with King of the Ring. The OLD King of the Ring, of course, where the winner goes on to face the champion at Summerslam.

I, personally, think that the Power 25 should become more important, or should be revamped in a means that would affect the actual WWE product. I'm thinking in the sort of way that 'Smackdown! Just Bring It' and the UFC games were carried out. Beating somebody who "ranks higher" than you increases your ranking, and as your reputation increases, you'll soon earn your title shot.

Sadly, the above concept doesn't particularly transfer well into world of WWE for the simple fact that if they try to push someone up the rankings and they don't get over with the crowd or sell any merchandise, then the rankings will become meaningless in favour of the highly ranked stars. Chances are, the people who clog the main event already would be at the top of the rankings anyway. It'd be an interesting twist, anyway.

I respect the idea, but I would go crazy watching the same #1 contender from Backlash to Summerslam and Summerslam to Survivor Series. Only a few guys can pull off the whole let's feud for six months thing. Jericho and Michaels could feud forever, Miz and Cena... not so much.

The only thing I'd add to the current system of number 1 contenders is to move MiTB to July, and have June be King of the Ring, and whoever wins KoTR is the number 1 contender at Summerslam.

Good Post But I think being #1 contender is just an reason for a champ to defend a Title rather than a Contender getting a Title shot. MITB is a fun way to have a random WHC/WWE title match with a Prop.

Personally I think MITB should for the Million dollor Championship Belt in stead of breifcase. Because they can really be a MITB Champ for a while & A Belt looks better than a Breifcase. Plus the Title would finally have a decent use.

RR is good for giving a good push to anyone, but as I've said #1 contenders come & go...

I like the King of The Ring tournament. I just wished the winner actually won something besides being called "king" for a few months until the gimmick got old. A WWE/WHC title shot at a non-major PPV should be a good use of it. Also, they don't have to guarantee a short title run like they do with the MiTB.

I would love to see the King Of The Ring return in some capacity. Id probably make it a bigger tourny though and span it over a month with the finals culminating on the ppv for the title. Even to go a step further I would maybe even have a battle royal on the cvard to determine one of the other champions with the champ guaranteed the final entrant.

Bad idea, I wouldn't want to see the same title matches every PPV till the next big show and so many tournaments in one year. I don't mind different people facing each other at every PPV for the title but the way I would determine #1 Contenders for the 4 big shows would be like this.

Royal Rumble determines the #1 Contender for the World Title match at Wrestlemania

WWE bring back the King Of The Ring PPV and the King Of The Ring Tournament determines the #1 Contender for the World Title match at Summerslam

WWE bring back Starrcade in December and would use Survivor Series as it's setup show. They would determine the #1 Contenders for the World Title matches at Starrcade before Survivor Series then they would have each #1 Contenders lead teams against each other at Survivor Series for build up before they face off for the World Title at Starrcade.

OK I know the last one wasn't an idea to determine a #1 Contender but I just felt like throwing out and think it would be a good idea. There would be 6 big shows (RR, WM, KOTR, SummerSlam, Survivor Series, Starrcade), 3 of em would be setup shows, the other 3 would be the biggest WWE PPV's of the year.

Generally speaking, I've got no problem with the way the WWE has been doing lately with the triple threat matches. It might seem "lazy" on the surface but sometimes less is more. Not everything has to be huge or grand in order to get the desired effect out of it.

There was a #1 contender match on Raw several weeks back between The Miz, Alberto Del Rio & Rey Mysterio. This past Friday on SD!, we had Christian vs. Mark Henry vs. Sheamus. Both of these were very entertaining & competitive matches. I enjoy watching very entertaining & competitive matches. They make me continue to want to watch the product.

Of course the WWE isn't going to go with the triple threat #1 contender match all the time. But when they do, I almost always enjoy them.

Yeah they need more matches like The Gold Rush Tournament, The Beat the Clock Challenge, King of the Ring in the month of June like it was before and have the King put his shot on the line at the July PPV, The Breakthrough Battle Royale where anybody whose never held a World title before the only qualfieres. A Lethal Lottery for the Tag Title Shot. And last but not the Intra-branded Divas Battle Royal where they have to go over the top rope and not the middle or bottom.

Well my thoughts were that theses “tournaments” would be the perfect catalyst for story lines and it would mean the person who won it actually “worked” to be there. Like I said keep MITB as a wild card. With this you are guaranteed a new feud every couple of months. I mean just for example last year every single title match involved Cena or Orton in some way shape or form. Since Cena and Orton are on different shows now with this format we may be able to get 3 PPVs without them headlining.

Also the idea of triple threat and fatal four way title matches etc are not out of the equation.

The reason for the tournament (well in my head) is that there would be more transparency and that the guy who wins will get the momentum he needs to be able to seem like a credible contender. Also gives us the fans a clear indication of why someone is #1 contender. This also serves as a way to get someone over.

Picture this, a guy works his butt off and gets to the finals only to get cheated. Then the next time he gets to the finals again and has an epic match where he falls short again. When he finally does get the spot he will be WELL over and a new star is born…

Again just my thought but if done right this would definitely be a gold mine. But creative is lazy so they will ruin it :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back