• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How to book Sting/Taker heading into WM31

mont3818

Pre-Show Stalwart
First off, to me, The Undertaker vs. Sting makes more sense than ever. Simply because it won't be about The Streak; it'll be more unpredictable, it'll be about their legacy, one of those rare dream matches on par with Hogan vs. Rock. Sting is healthy for his age, Taker is very near closing the door on his career. No less will do The Undertaker justice at this point.

So with that being said, I'd like to see Taker one last time at the event he debuted at. Sting should debut in late summer as an authority figure in WWE. Perhaps Stephanie and Triple H will deem Kane unfit and Brad Maddox too green. The Wyatt Family wreak havoc on the roster, hijack the show, making things progressively worse and worse. Bray cuts his priceless promos, only now attributing it to and saying "The devil made me do it." That catches on, becomes his saying, his scapegoat. Sting challenges all the Wyatt Family to a match sometime in late-October/early-November. Bray obliges but says the devil will be in his corner. Sting gets some back-up by way of a few fresh young babyfaces (perhaps people The Wyatt's had attacked in the past). It becomes a Traditional 4-on-4 Survivor Series Elimination match up, against The Wyatt Family and the devil (a mystery partner)... Everyone's in the ring, lights go out, slow build, people go nuts when Undertakers music hits, it's a bit of a throwback to his Ministry of Darkness days. He and Sting never touch during the match, but it is teased and both look strong, and get eliminations, throughout the match. The match will have to end in some lame DQ kind of way to build towards a WM31 showdown.

That's when the real magic begins.

This is obviously not going to be as exciting as it could've been if the Undertaker still kept his streak alive after WrestleMania30. With that being said, I think we should stop waiting a whole year just for Undertaker to show up or have a match. It's pointless and this time around it wont be bringing the same attention it once used to as the undefeated phenom. If Sting & Taker work together it should be in one of WWE's main upcoming PPVs like Summer Slam or Survivor Series. That's the only way I see this happening. I'm tired of having to wait a year for Taker to show up. The man is getting older and weaker performance wise. God forbid something happens to him before WM31 that could potentially put his career to a halt. Above all else, I wish he returns with his BAD ASS gimmick. He owes it to his fans before retirement.

Carrying on with his current gimmick right now is getting really tiring.

If we're ever going to see Sting vs Taker I think the best way to book it, or at least set up the feud is this way.

Taker needs to return early on in the year next year, let's say the night after Royal Rumble, in the last segment of RAW and begin what's seemingly a retirement speech, or at least a speech that hints he may be going. When he mentions that he's got nothing left to accomplish, no one left to face at WrestleMania etc., the lights go out. The sounds of a thunderstorm can be heard and lightning and rain appears on the titantron. From no where, the camera shows the rafters of the building (this can be pre-recorded or an actor). From behind, standing in the rafters, is a mysterious figure in a black trench coat holding a baseball bat. The camera cuts back to the Undertaker, confused in the ring, and then Sting's theme hits and he comes out from the back and confronts Taker in the ring to end RAW. Something along those lines I'd be happy with. The build isn't really necessary in building the match - it sells itself.

I don't get the obsession with Stong vs Taker. It would have been a decent match a long time ago but I really think it would be terrible now.

I don't get the obsession with Stong vs Taker. It would have been a decent match a long time ago but I really think it would be terrible now.

If they can keep it at a moderate 10 to 13 min match I think it will be a watchable match.

As for the lack of excitement due to Taker no longer having a streak, I think this actually helps a Sting vs. Taker match being more interesting. Instead of Sting challenging for the streak much like others in the past, the angle can be about two legends wanting to have a match with each other.

I can see an angle where Sting is inducted to the HOF and Taker not too long after and before. Sting will come out on RAW and say the reason why he returned to the WWE was to challenge The Undertaker at WM. So it can be an angle where two legends inducted in the HOF at the same time having "one last" match at WM.

I agree with the OP. The Streak was becoming a burden, killing the anticipation of outcomes. At the turn of the 2010s, it became a problem to convince audiences that Undertaker might lose; prior to the match he was set to lose, fans had already written the bout off. Taker is a smart guy, and did the right thing.

His next two matches (he's strongly rumoured to be working with Sting at 31 then bowing out against Cena at 32 in Houston) will now be 50/50 shots for the audience, like Undertaker matches used to be.

Well I don't think its going to happen, I don't think Taker can go anymore, and I don't think Sting is interested in getting in the ring in WWE.

That said I HOPE it does happen. And I guess no streak would make it a more interesting match in some respects, since its less predictable. Although we all thought the streak was never going to end so I guess that part is kind of irrelevant.

The thing is... Taker has nothing left to prove, nothing left to do in the WWE. He's done everything. Sting (or more accurately Sting's fans, of which I am one) needs it more because its what everyone wants to see him do... a match in WWE.

To be very honest regarding this subject you just got to look at the strong facts...

1. If Sting wrestles again which is likely, he only wants to face undertaker (he has said it numerous occasions most notably in the london Q and A in march this year) youtube it for evidence.

2. Vince loves to make money, Sting vs Undertaker is money its the nostalgia more than anything, if it sells tickets they will book it. The icon vs the phenom.

3. If taker wrestles again, which is also likely then Sting is the ideal opponent, both men must leave there careers on a high note, Sting got beaten by magnus in a shity storyline and taker got beaten by Lesnar and his streak broken, I highly doubt taker would go out like that, I know taker is old school but he has a little left in the tank yet, he has one bad match in the last seven and people think he's retired because his WM STREAK has ended, thats not his career.

sting is getting in shape, he's obviously signed to some degree with WWE (network/dvds) I think this will happen at one of the big four PPV's.

There is no way this match will be a letdown, they will most likely re run the match plenty of times in Takers home gym, alot more times than I expected Taker and Lesnar did.

Lastly all the marks who say they dont want to see this match anymore and its ten years late, I bet my bank account you will all mark out when Sting and Taker come face to face in a WWE ring. The promo's and entrances to this feud alone will be nothing but iconic, a la hogan vs rock WM18

I would bring in vince russeo and make it a retirement home match. Undertaker come out on raw to bid his farewell the lights go out and on the tron is none other then sting sitting in a wheel chair playing backgammon with the other old hag like piper and snuka. He cuts a promo about back in the day and having to walk 15miles in snow uphill both way etc etc. He then goes to pick up his bat to point at the him but his brittle bones cant so he lifts his shakey arms and points his shakey finger at taker and say Mania 31 me and you deadman!

I'm very excited about this and hope and pray it happens. People can say what they want about Sting and Taker "they can't go no more" all that stuff but there both legends in wrestling and this is a match that every fan has been waiting on for years. I think it will happen. People can say Taker was out of it at mania and I agree but he didn't get to rehearse as much with Lesnar as he did with HBK, HHH and others. Sting also lives in texas I believe and I believe he would rehearse with Taker as long as needed for them to put on a classic match. I feel this match is happening this coming mania and for me I'm excited. It's a dream come true for me as Sting has always been my favorite wrestler. Ofcourse they can't go like they could in the 30's and 40's but that doesn't matter. The story these 2 will tell will awesome. The darkness of both characters, the buildup will be great. I can't wait and can go on & on about it but will stop. Some people don't like Sting and I think it's because they are to young to have seen his WCW stuff and only saw the last few years of TNA. He is a legendary character and great at what he does and the same can be said about Undertaker.

I'm Ready for this Dream match feud to being.........

Just figured it out: Bring Taker back as a heel (this'll breath new life into his character, the crowd will cheer for him anyway), he'll be hell bent and bitter about the Mania loss to Lesnar, tear through the roster via the Wyatt Family (they'll do most his bidding), Sting finally has to address the problem. The culmination of their feud is Sting teaching Undertaker contentment with his legacy (through a brutal, exhaustive, psychological battle at Mania31). Taker comes full circle at Mania32, fights whomever the face of the WWE is, retires, and rides off into the sunset in his hometown. I'd say that's damn fitting.

Build to WM 31:The Undertaker is revealed as the "high power" behind the wyatts and then he goes on to defeat Sting at Mania.
Summer Slam 2015:Sting beats Taker after The Wyatts turn on Taker.
WrestleMania 32:Taker beats Bray Wyatt and goes off in Texas.

I agree with the OP. The Streak was becoming a burden, killing the anticipation of outcomes. At the turn of the 2010s, it became a problem to convince audiences that Undertaker might lose; prior to the match he was set to lose, fans had already written the bout off. Taker is a smart guy, and did the right thing.

His next two matches (he's strongly rumoured to be working with Sting at 31 then bowing out against Cena at 32 in Houston) will now be 50/50 shots for the audience, like Undertaker matches used to be.

Exactly! The streak ending was the best thing that could have happen. It would be interesting to see a rematch against the two at Summerslam or maybe at one of the B-level PPV's like Battleground to make the pay per view just as important but due to health risks I can understand why a rematch wouldn't happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back