How TNA should market its product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stebbinsd

Dark Match Winner
EDIT: Come on, people! A hundred and twenty-one views and not one reply? What's the matter? Cat got your tongue?

Now, before you read any further, don't go all smarky on me and go "TNA should market its product to not suck" yadda yadda yadda. You have to look at this from a business perspective, not an artistic one. You have to understand that there are some wrestling fans who just aren't into the same kind of wrestling that we are.

However, it seems that TNA has forgotten about us, the fans who put TNA on the map in the first place, who pulled TNA out of that death spiral of a weekly PPV plan by paying the ten dollars a week, 50 weeks per year (they used to take off for the Holidays) in leui of the more profitable Knockout fans, but who ever said they had to make a choice between those two categories of fans, or any category of fans for that matter?

Imagine if each PPV had at least one match that specifically catered to each of the categories of fans. The smarks would get an X-Division title match, or maybe Beer Money vs British Invasion. The KO fans would get a KO title match, and the next Thursday on Impact, they would announce a new #1 contender for the KO title. The casual, "superstar" fans who only watch TNA because of the Main Event Mafia would get, for example, a six-man tag featuring Nash, Steiner, & Booker T vs Sting, Daniels, & AJ (Booker T could do most of the work with Daniels and AJ, while Sting could do most of the work with Nash & Steiner). The list goes on and on.

Now, on Thursday Night Impacts, the problem comes up with how to promote the PPV that is designed to cater to each category of fans. Well, there are typically eight matches on a PPV card, right? And there are eight 15 minute segments in a typical Impact episode, each with its own Neilson rating, right? When you take out time for commercials, that's about ten to twelve minutes per segment, right? So, give each match one whole segment each week for build-up! Do that over four weeks, and each match has an entire hour of build-up (four quarter-hours). Then, on the PPV, they have 180 minutes to divide over 8 matches. How about, 15 minutes per match, with the main event getting 30 minutes, so that comes out to 135 minutes of match time, leaving them with five minutes of promo time per match, and ten minutes of promo time for the main event. It's not that complicated.

Doing this, TNA can cater to as many fans as possible. Each PPV will have something for everyone; just make sure that each individual segment on Impact is designed from the ground up to make that match's target audience want to fork over the $30 a month just to see that one match, kind of like at Lockdown 2008, when many people were buying the show, despite a mediocre midcard, just to see Angle vs Joe, despite the fact that those two had already wrestled four times before, yet that match only got about 15 minutes of build-up each week leading up to Lockdown.

What do you think? Do you like my plan?

Doesn’t TNA already use a formula very similar to this for its Pay Per Views?
I mean, they do have matches to cater to everyone on the shows.

What TNA needs is Tom Zenk… imagine that!!

TNA could drastically improve by doing these few things:

1. Keep Jarrett out of the limelight. - He doesn't really draw a crowd as well as people like Angle. And to top it off he sounds like a hick on the mic.
2. Have a ppv equivalent to WM. - I'm sure some ppv is like this in TNA somewhere, but I haven't seen any real potential yet.
3. Retire people like Nash and Steiner. - Steiner may have a few moves left in him that aren't botches, but I feel Kevin needs to go.
4. Fliers, banners, etc. - They need to get their promotion more out there if you ask me. They are the only true promotion besides WWE with respective talent if you don't count....ROH....
5. Let go of a championship - More belts to me means less prestige for the locker room. From what I know, there is the TNA HC, XDC, Legends, KOC, TTC, and TTKC. I am one of those select few that doesn't see a reason for Knockouts to have a Tag Team Championship. I don't see them working too well together as is. And I am one of those very few that doesn't like the Legends Championship. Nobody that has held it was a Legend so to speak....

Feel free to disagree with me. I usually stay away from TNA unless Styles, Daniels, or Angle are on.

I think each and every PPV lately has been catered to the fans. I mean some matches like Rob Terry/Hernandez were thrown in at last minute. However, most of them were all planned out. We got to see a best of 3 falls match with AJ/ Morgan. Now we are seeing a great buildup to a possible feud with AJ/Sting. TNA is promoting Sting's last match around LA. We get to see 30 minutes of wrestling every week. We have great exposure to the Knockouts and the X Division. MEM and World Elite are shown every week in small but decent segments.

We have our comedy with Foley, Abyss, and JB. The tag team division gets a lot of TV time each and every week. For the hardcore fans, we get to see either a tables, or a ladder match once a week. Not to mention all the backstage promos and interviews with MCMG and other rising talent. What more do they need to do? I think they cater to pretty much everybody. I mean you have everything to build up a pay per view. What TNA needs which is what they are going to get, is more television time.

They need new shows that don't showcase previous shows. They need shows that showcase the X Division and maybe the Knockouts more. I would love if TNA had another Impact show for 2 hours. You would have 4 hours of wrestling a week. TNA also needs to have its stars on show like Conan or Jimmy Fallon. Being on Howard Stern or Bubba the Love Sponge isn't going to make you as popular as TV.

I remember Eric Bischoff saying this somewhere but he said he took what WWF was doing and made a big BOOM over here and people were like oh I like that. This is where TNA has to make their money and produce thier product. Here are few ways in my view.

1.)TNA should go more adult. They have a great KO Division that has the talent to put on great matches but if TNA was to utilize things like evening gown matches etc.......it would give a little nod to the attitude era and also fit with the spike tv image.

2.)TNA has to push the X-Division a little more. It seems they are headed that way now at the last few shows. Keep it up TNA they can only help.

3.)Keep the big names in the spotlight while building new stars. Angle, Nash, Foley, Sting, Booker, Steiner, and Styles have had their main even runs it is time to see some others get thier chances but..........not if it hurts business.

4.)Sign some unknow wrestlers. It is great for TNA to bring in the Lashley's of the world but it would be cool to see someone come in and basically be built from TNA only. ROH wrestlers, Indy wrestlers, Mexico, Japan, WWE Developmental wherever. There is another Rock, Stone Cold, Eddie Guerrero out there TNA you need to find him.

1. Keep Jarrett out of the limelight. - He doesn't really draw a crowd as well as people like Angle. And to top it off he sounds like a hick on the mic.
He's from fucking Tennessee! What do you expect him to sound like on the mic? Cousin Vinnie?

2. Have a ppv equivalent to WM. - I'm sure some ppv is like this in TNA somewhere, but I haven't seen any real potential yet.
It's called Bound for Glory, dumbass.
3. Retire people like Nash and Steiner. - Steiner may have a few moves left in him that aren't botches, but I feel Kevin needs to go.
Steiner and Nash draw! They sell ratings! They sell tickets! They sell PPVs! They sell merchandise! That's all that matters!
4. Fliers, banners, etc. - They need to get their promotion more out there if you ask me. They are the only true promotion besides WWE with respective talent if you don't count....ROH....
TNA advertises on TV. When they're doing a house show, they'll advertise on the local radio stations that people listen to when they're in the car. What more do you want?
5. Let go of a championship - More belts to me means less prestige for the locker room. From what I know, there is the TNA HC, XDC, Legends, KOC, TTC, and TTKC. I am one of those select few that doesn't see a reason for Knockouts to have a Tag Team Championship. I don't see them working too well together as is. And I am one of those very few that doesn't like the Legends Championship. Nobody that has held it was a Legend so to speak....
I agree that they've got an oversaturation of titles, but it's really the KO tag team belts that I don't agree with. Think about it: A lot of people don't seem to like the Legends Belt, but listen to this: For years and years, the fans demanded a midcard title that non X-Division wrestlers could win. The Legends belt IS THAT TITLE!

So, stop contesting the IWGP belts and get rid of the KO tag team belts (quietly retire them like WWE did the cruiserweight belt) and I'll be happy.

1.)TNA should go more adult. They have a great KO Division that has the talent to put on great matches but if TNA was to utilize things like evening gown matches etc.......it would give a little nod to the attitude era and also fit with the spike tv image.
They already have a couple of ****s rubbing their herpes crotches on the ring ropes every week, and they curse about every five minutes. How much more "adult" can you get?

2.)TNA has to push the X-Division a little more. It seems they are headed that way now at the last few shows. Keep it up TNA they can only help.
The X-Division consistently gets low ratings on Impact. That, that right there, for no other reason than that, is enough to make the X-Division go the way of the cruiserweights.

3.)Keep the big names in the spotlight while building new stars. Angle, Nash, Foley, Sting, Booker, Steiner, and Styles have had their main even runs it is time to see some others get thier chances but..........not if it hurts business.
That's what I'm suggesting: Have one match on a PPV, and 15 minutes per match per Impact, dedicated to each and every category of fans.

4.)Sign some unknow wrestlers. It is great for TNA to bring in the Lashley's of the world but it would be cool to see someone come in and basically be built from TNA only. ROH wrestlers, Indy wrestlers, Mexico, Japan, WWE Developmental wherever. There is another Rock, Stone Cold, Eddie Guerrero out there TNA you need to find him.
So you don't consider Consequences Creed, The British Invasion, and Suicide (Kaz in disguise, but no one is supposed to know that, so he might as well be brand new) as "unknown" wrestlers when they were signed?

It's called Bound for Glory, dumbass.

But how many casual fans would know that? I've found one already.....umm...numbnuts?

Steiner and Nash draw! They sell ratings! They sell tickets! They sell PPVs! They sell merchandise! That's all that matters!
They sell merch? I sure as fuck dont have an MEM shirt. I also havent bought a TNA PPV to see them. And how is all that matters? Somehow, I always thought the ability to move in the ring counted for something.

TNA advertises on TV. When they're doing a house show, they'll advertise on the local radio stations that people listen to when they're in the car. What more do you want?
They advertise on SpikeTV. How many people that aren't wrestling fans would know about TNA? People know about the WWE, even if they still refer to it as the WWF. They probably know John Cena is a wrestler.

I remember Eric Bischoff saying this somewhere but he said he took what WWF was doing and made a big BOOM over here and people were like oh I like that. This is where TNA has to make their money and produce thier product. Here are few ways in my view.
huh? All ig got was big BOOM.

They already have a couple of ****s rubbing their herpes crotches on the ring ropes every week, and they curse about every five minutes. How much more "adult" can you get?
A live sex celebration? Who said you need to make it adult to make it popular? WWE is doing just fine as a PG show, and if you want it to be alternative viewing from the WWE, dont make it racy just for the sake of it. That would be...totally TNA. With great adult oriented programming comes great responsibility, padawan.

The X-Division consistently gets low ratings on Impact. That, that right there, for no other reason than that, is enough to make the X-Division go the way of the cruiserweights.
Aren't the X-Division wrestlers the main attraction of TNA? Something to differentiate itself from any other wrestling promotion? And we should get rid of it? Well if you say so...:blush:

So you don't consider Consequences Creed, The British Invasion, and Suicide (Kaz in disguise, but no one is supposed to know that, so he might as well be brand new) as "unknown" wrestlers when they were signed?
They still are unknown mate. Most people worth a crap on the TNA roster didn't start in TNA. Beer Money is sick though.

Reactions: gd
But how many casual fans would know that? I've found one already.....umm...numbnuts?
Anyone who watches TNA's commercials would know that TNA considers BFG "the biggest event of the year." In fact, one recent TNA Today had JB claiming that tickets were going on sale in LA for "The biggest show of the year: Bound for Glory."

They sell merch? I sure as fuck dont have an MEM shirt. I also havent bought a TNA PPV to see them. And how is all that matters? Somehow, I always thought the ability to move in the ring counted for something.
Yeah, well, it doesn't. They do sell merchandise and PPVs, just to the casual fans, not the smarks.

They advertise on SpikeTV. How many people that aren't wrestling fans would know about TNA? People know about the WWE, even if they still refer to it as the WWF. They probably know John Cena is a wrestler.
Yes, because WWE/WWF has been around about as long as their grandmothers. Add that to the fact that the Monday Night Wars were about as newsworthy as the Chris Benoit scandal, only in a good way, and of course everyone knows about WWE.

A live sex celebration? Who said you need to make it adult to make it popular? WWE is doing just fine as a PG show, and if you want it to be alternative viewing from the WWE, dont make it racy just for the sake of it. That would be...totally TNA. With great adult oriented programming comes great responsibility, padawan.
I wrote that in direct response to someone else who wanted TNA to be more adult. I wasn't talking to you.

Aren't the X-Division wrestlers the main attraction of TNA? Something to differentiate itself from any other wrestling promotion? And we should get rid of it? Well if you say so...:blush:
No. They were, but not anymore. Just like OJ Simpson walking the streets a free man, he used to, but not anymore.

They still are unknown mate. Most people worth a crap on the TNA roster didn't start in TNA. Beer Money is sick though.
Again, if you go back and read the comment I was responding to, you'd know how little sense you're making. All you're doing at this point is arguing a straw man.

I'll give a couple thoughts on Marketing as well as some Creative changes that I feel should be made.

I think TNA is on the right track as far as choosing its target audience. Whatever direction WWE goes in, TNA would be wise to do the exact opposite. TNA obviously is not strong enough to compete with WWE at the moment, so they are going to have to settle for WWE selecting the direction first, then they need to go the opposite route.

Therefore, marketing the product to 18-34 year old males is in TNA's primary best interests. I would also try to target some older fans of WWE who left the product by becoming bored with what WWE transformed the product into. In other words, go after the Attitude Era fans who left WWE, or are still with WWE simply begging for suitable competition to arise.

The problem with TNA isn't so much the direction they are taking their product in. The problem is the EFFORT that is put into their marketing and advertising, which is virtually non-existent.

I can only assume that TNA is not in the best financial shape after looking at their PPV buys as of late. And that is a shame because without cash flow, they are really restricted in what they can and can not do. Sting definitely cost the company a ton of money in expenditures, and it is very questionable whether or not he earned his salary since being with the company. Having that money freed up once he retires, TNA instead of looking to get new big names, should instead use that money to advertise their product and get the word out that they even exist.

Also, they absolutely MUST get rid of the 6 sided ring. This is a Non Negotiable. To the casual eye, the ring appears very second rate, and it is hard to take competition seriously if the ring does not even look like a traditional wrestling ring. Instead it makes the product look like a strange, second-rate wrestling alternative. TNA should work to differentiate itself from WWE, however they can't necessarily violate the norms of wrestling too much. And the ring definitely does just that.

I also think they need another show. And personally, I feel they should try to do the show either live or live every other week. This show really should be on Wednesday to run un-opposed by WWE, and be marketed as their main show. Then, they should try to get Impact moved to another night to take over as their "B" show. Adding a new show and marketing it as the main show (and with it being done live) will create much needed buzz.

I would definitely do that as opposed to running an all-Knockouts show. I think that is a big mistake. I recognize that the Knockouts segments typically receive high ratings during the show, however I think putting them on their own isn't going to draw all that well. Particularly because Women's wrestling typically does not draw as well as Men. And making it an All-Women's show is even worse. If I were them, I would make the second show as I outlined above, and simply include Knockouts in both programs, just as they currently do with Impact.

Go back to marketing the company around AJ Styles and make him the Brand's top babyface. Right now, the show has too many Top Name Heels, and someone needs to turn Face. Angle, Booker T, Scott Steiner, Kevin Nash. Furthermore, when Lashley debuts, I would turn him Heel, as I was never impressed with him as a Face, and probably turn Booker T Face. I definitely want a strong Black Babyface as well.

The X Division is a vital component to the show, as this unquestionably provides another area where WWE is lacking ... the Cruiserweights. So I would unquestionably refocus efforts in promoting this Division, once again.

In further providing an alternative to WWE, again they should go the way of Face/Heel Broadcast teams, like they did with Tenay and West. They made a big mistake replacing West with Taz, however like pointed out, Merchandise is another area that TNA is struggling in. Although, personally I feel that doing commentary isn't necessarily a full-time job in TNA and that they could have had West do both (which to my understanding he was to an extent). Nonetheless, giving West a promotion and giving him more responsibilities in the Merchandise department and more authority to make the needed changes that need to be made, is probably a good move. If they can't have West on Color Commentary, than Taz should be a Heel on the mic, as Analysts have no place in Pro Wrestling. This is not Football.

They need a more professional interviewer than Jeremy Borash. Borash should not be wearing jeans in a position like that, and should be in a full suit. Furthermore, I think it would be better for him to tone down the dorky persona of his a little bit. He doesn't have to lose it entirely, but his corniness sometimes detracts from segments.

Take advantage of something else WWE isn't doing, and bring back the managers. Jim Cornette should go back into his specialty with managing and should be removed from his Commissioner role ... not that he is used much in that role more, anyway. I would also see if we could negotiate with Paul Heyman to bring him in as a manager, as well. If he could eventually be persuaded into a Creative position, than that's even better. However Cornette and Heyman are two of the best to get talent over on the mic, and would be excellent back in the roles that made them famous.

Also, take Foley out of the Ownership Role he has. It's lame and everyone knows it isn't legitimate anyway. Replace Foley with Dixie Carter. I know she has no interest in being an on-air talent, however the key is not to use her regularly, but rather sparingly for major announcements, and simply mention her on TV from time to time.

I would also establish a weekly Talk Show segment and make it a regular part of the show, similar to the old days with the Brother Love Show. Obviously WWE is doing it with the Abraham Washington show, however that is done on their least popular Brand.

Put Dave Penzer on camera. I just don't think it is professional when the ring announcer isn't in the ring doing the ring announcing.

Take a camera along to the House Shows and do some noteworthy things. Have a title change once in a while and show the footage on Impact. TNA should also have the commentators briefly run down dates when TNA is touring for House Shows and make a big deal out of them. WWE has a real problem in that their House Shows are basically viewed as throw-away shows. Nothing ever noteworthy happens at any of them. Here is a real opportunity for TNA to go in the opposite direction and send the message to the fans that House Shows are important in TNA, and you will get more for your money going to one of them, instead of a WWE House Show.

Those are some ideas just off the top of my head.

I think TNA is on the right track as far as choosing its target audience. Whatever direction WWE goes in, TNA would be wise to do the exact opposite. TNA obviously is not strong enough to compete with WWE at the moment, so they are going to have to settle for WWE selecting the direction first, then they need to go the opposite route.
TNA would be wise to try and diversify its target audience in a way similar to how I suggested in the OP.

Therefore, marketing the product to 18-34 year old males is in TNA's primary best interests.
The current demographic brackets are flawed for TV. You shouldn't break up the target audiences into age and sex groups, especially with 16-year gaps like that. Instead, you should categorize the demographics based on their artistic and cosmetic preferences. They like the Knockouts, they like the Main Event Mafia, they like the X-Division. There, right there, are the three primary wrestling fans.

I would also try to target some older fans of WWE who left the product by becoming bored with what WWE transformed the product into. In other words, go after the Attitude Era fans who left WWE, or are still with WWE simply begging for suitable competition to arise.
I agree, but they should keep that to a quarter of their TV time at best.

The problem with TNA isn't so much the direction they are taking their product in. The problem is the EFFORT that is put into their marketing and advertising, which is virtually non-existent.
The Main Event Mafia makes up about 80% of the TNA Payroll. There's not a whole lot left in the budget for quality marketing.

I can only assume that TNA is not in the best financial shape after looking at their PPV buys as of late. And that is a shame because without cash flow, they are really restricted in what they can and can not do. Sting definitely cost the company a ton of money in expenditures, and it is very questionable whether or not he earned his salary since being with the company. Having that money freed up once he retires, TNA instead of looking to get new big names, should instead use that money to advertise their product and get the word out that they even exist.
People know that they exist. I've talked with people about TNA, and they were like "I've heard of it." The problem is encouraging them to step out of their comfort zone and tune in to TNA.

Also, they absolutely MUST get rid of the 6 sided ring. This is a Non Negotiable. To the casual eye, the ring appears very second rate, and it is hard to take competition seriously if the ring does not even look like a traditional wrestling ring. Instead it makes the product look like a strange, second-rate wrestling alternative. TNA should work to differentiate itself from WWE, however they can't necessarily violate the norms of wrestling too much. And the ring definitely does just that.
No, what's non-negotiable is the fact that they need to go where the money is. Business doesn't speak English or Spanish. They speak dollars and cents.

That's it.

Nothing more.

Period.

It's about MONEY!

MONEY!

FUCKING MONEY!

I also think they need another show. And personally, I feel they should try to do the show either live or live every other week. This show really should be on Wednesday to run un-opposed by WWE, and be marketed as their main show. Then, they should try to get Impact moved to another night to take over as their "B" show. Adding a new show and marketing it as the main show (and with it being done live) will create much needed buzz.
TNA is already being accused of copying WWE. If they were to split into two brands, that would be like trying to smother fire with gasoline.

Go back to marketing the company around AJ Styles and make him the Brand's top babyface. Right now, the show has too many Top Name Heels, and someone needs to turn Face. Angle, Booker T, Scott Steiner, Kevin Nash. Furthermore, when Lashley debuts, I would turn him Heel, as I was never impressed with him as a Face, and probably turn Booker T Face. I definitely want a strong Black Babyface as well.
AJ Styles is the modern-day Shawn Micheals (the similarities between the two are almost Lincoln-Kennedy in a sick, twisted sense), but he's not going to carry the company on his back by himself. Shawn Micheals had Bret Hart to help him, and Steve Austin had the Rock. AJ Styles will need someone similar, and with Jeff Jarrett gone, who is he going to take to the top with him?

The X Division is a vital component to the show, as this unquestionably provides another area where WWE is lacking ... the Cruiserweights. So I would unquestionably refocus efforts in promoting this Division, once again.
Yes, but you seem to forget that IT'S NOT JUST YOU! Smarks are one of the smallest demographics around. If you try and market a wrestling product exclusively to the smarks, like ROH is doing, you need to have a HUGE profit margin per fan ($20 for every single show is actually necessary if you're going to appeal entirely to the smarks), otherwise, it's the epitome of putting all your eggs in one basket.

In further providing an alternative to WWE,
Most people DON'T FUCKING WANT an alternative to WWE! News flash, people: It's about MONEY! It's about GREEN! TNA goes whereever the money goes. It's that simple. There is no gray area. There is no compromising. A demographic that isn't big enough is like someone who walks into a store without any money. They can GTFO.

again they should go the way of Face/Heel Broadcast teams, like they did with Tenay and West. They made a big mistake replacing West with Taz,
Everybody claimed that Don West sucked at commentating and he should get a job backstage. TNA just did what the fans wanted. You get what you want and you still complain? My god, you're like my ex girlfriend, which is why I broke up with her.

however like pointed out, Merchandise is another area that TNA is struggling in. Although, personally I feel that doing commentary isn't necessarily a full-time job in TNA and that they could have had West do both (which to my understanding he was to an extent).

Newslfash: TNA Wrestling is not a full-time job. You wrestle three days a week tops, and even then, you only do about a half-hour per match and ten minutes or whatnot for a promo. That's not full-time because transportation to your job is not considered in how many hours you work.

They need a more professional interviewer than Jeremy Borash. Borash should not be wearing jeans in a position like that, and should be in a full suit. Furthermore, I think it would be better for him to tone down the dorky persona of his a little bit. He doesn't have to lose it entirely, but his corniness sometimes detracts from segments.
JB was perfect for interviewing wrestlers BECAUSE of his small stature and dorky nature. It works to emphasize the machoness and toughness of the wrestlers he's standing next to. Why do you think a lot of managers, like Cornette and Jimmy Hart, were dorky and helpless?

Also, take Foley out of the Ownership Role he has. It's lame and everyone knows it isn't legitimate anyway. Replace Foley with Dixie Carter. I know she has no interest in being an on-air talent, however the key is not to use her regularly, but rather sparingly for major announcements, and simply mention her on TV from time to time.
If they do that, and use Dixie as TNA's equivalent to Stephanie or Linda, who is going to handle the day-to-day kayfabe leadership role?

I would also establish a weekly Talk Show segment and make it a regular part of the show, similar to the old days with the Brother Love Show. Obviously WWE is doing it with the Abraham Washington show, however that is done on their least popular Brand.
You're wanting TNA to do the exact opposite of WWE, yet now you want them to do something exactly like what WWE is doing? Make up your damn mind.

Put Dave Penzer on camera. I just don't think it is professional when the ring announcer isn't in the ring doing the ring announcing.
Let's put Tenay and Taz on camera as well!

Dude, the announcer is announcing the wrestlers while they're coming down the ramp. Watching the dramatic entrances is a little bit more important than watching the announcer speak.

Take a camera along to the House Shows and do some noteworthy things. Have a title change once in a while and show the footage on Impact.
WWE does that, Mr. "TNA Should Do The Exact Opposite Of What WWE Is Doing."

TNA should also have the commentators briefly run down dates when TNA is touring for House Shows and make a big deal out of them.
You mean... like they ALREADY DO?

WWE has a real problem in that their House Shows are basically viewed as throw-away shows. Nothing ever noteworthy happens at any of them. Here is a real opportunity for TNA to go in the opposite direction and send the message to the fans that House Shows are important in TNA, and you will get more for your money going to one of them, instead of a WWE House Show.
They are different from WWE's house shows. You don't need any title changes or any feuds starting or ending to see that. The matches themselves are much better.

Those are some ideas just off the top of my head.
Which must be empty.

The current demographic brackets are flawed for TV. You shouldn't break up the target audiences into age and sex groups, especially with 16-year gaps like that. Instead, you should categorize the demographics based on their artistic and cosmetic preferences. They like the Knockouts, they like the Main Event Mafia, they like the X-Division. There, right there, are the three primary wrestling fans.

I disagree. There are people out there in Mainstream America who are not necessarily wrestling fans who may be more inclined to being reached out to if there is something on television that reflects their interests.

WWE itself on their advertising page, breaks down its audience in terms of age demos, as well. And one of their demographics listed is ... surprise ... 18-34 year olds.

Now, obviously, that demographic can be broken down further by Age, Sex, Race, Income, Education Level, and so forth ... however my main point was to make this product more of a targeted, adult-based product as opposed to a Family/Oriented product. This is exactly the approach that WWE took when going up against WCW, the family product, during the Monday Night Wars.

The Main Event Mafia makes up about 80% of the TNA Payroll. There's not a whole lot left in the budget for quality marketing.

I wasn't suggesting that the Main Event Mafia was necessarily entirely the problem.

Just from looking at their Roster, TNA seems to have an enormous amount of talent under contract for simply 2 hours of television per week. I would propose cutting some of that talent and use that cash flow to invest in Marketing/Advertising efforts ... however as I alluded to, Sting's retirement is going to free up a ton of cash flow ... and I feel they should invest that money into Advertising/Marketing efforts, if they are wise.

People know that they exist. I've talked with people about TNA, and they were like "I've heard of it." The problem is encouraging them to step out of their comfort zone and tune in to TNA.

No, I am not convinced that a majority of Casual Fans do realize that TNA even exists. I have talked with people who have still asked me where Kurt Angle is. When I tell them what he's been doing since WWE, they indicate no knowledge of TNA's existence.

So that is a big part of the problem, along with encouraging those fans who are familiar with it, as you mentioned, to step out of the Comfort Zone with WWE.

No, what's non-negotiable is the fact that they need to go where the money is. Business doesn't speak English or Spanish. They speak dollars and cents.

Dollars and Cents also results in having a product that appeals to Mainstream Wrestling Fans. The 6-sided ring simply does not. It is not going to hurt them at all getting rid of that ring. On the contrary, I think it will help them appeal to a lot more casual fans who will take them seriously seeing a more traditional ring.

TNA is already being accused of copying WWE. If they were to split into two brands, that would be like trying to smother fire with gasoline.

Where did I indicate that I wanted to split into two different Brands? All I indicated was that I wanted another show for TNA and indicated what I would do with it. Not once did I say I wanted to do the Brand Split concept with the rosters, like what WWE has done.

AJ Styles is the modern-day Shawn Micheals (the similarities between the two are almost Lincoln-Kennedy in a sick, twisted sense), but he's not going to carry the company on his back by himself. Shawn Micheals had Bret Hart to help him, and Steve Austin had the Rock. AJ Styles will need someone similar, and with Jeff Jarrett gone, who is he going to take to the top with him?

Primarily Kurt Angle, however they will be supported by Booker T, Samoa Joe, Nash and the others.

Yes, but you seem to forget that IT'S NOT JUST YOU! Smarks are one of the smallest demographics around. If you try and market a wrestling product exclusively to the smarks, like ROH is doing, you need to have a HUGE profit margin per fan ($20 for every single show is actually necessary if you're going to appeal entirely to the smarks), otherwise, it's the epitome of putting all your eggs in one basket.

You seem to be doing a lot of false-assuming with my thoughts. I never said I wanted the X-Division to take up 30 minutes of TNA programming a week. I simply stated that the division needs to be a regular part of TNA programming to attract those particular fans. I never stated I wanted to target the entire product to smarks and only smarks. Not really sure where you are getting all this from, because it certainly isn't coming from my mouth.

Most people DON'T FUCKING WANT an alternative to WWE! News flash, people: It's about MONEY! It's about GREEN! TNA goes whereever the money goes. It's that simple. There is no gray area. There is no compromising. A demographic that isn't big enough is like someone who walks into a store without any money. They can GTFO.

Again, it's about differentiating your product from the competition. WWE and Vince is not going to change directions. Combined with proper marketing and advertising efforts, along with taking the show on the road more often, and given the fact that there are obviously many unhappy fans with WWE's current PG product, yes I think people out there are looking for an alternative to WWE programming. It's unfortunate that so many people don't even know it even exists.

Everybody claimed that Don West sucked at commentating and he should get a job backstage. TNA just did what the fans wanted. You get what you want and you still complain? My god, you're like my ex girlfriend, which is why I broke up with her.

It sounds like you actually did her a favor more than anything.

Don't lump me in the same crowd that was calling for West's resignation. There was a large number of fans who are outraged that Taz replaced West on commentary. There isn't simply one group who was against West, and now suddenly changed their minds and are for West staying in the booth. I thought it was obvious that there are two groups of fans on the opposite ends of the spectrum as it relates to this issue.

Newslfash: TNA Wrestling is not a full-time job. You wrestle three days a week tops, and even then, you only do about a half-hour per match and ten minutes or whatnot for a promo. That's not full-time because transportation to your job is not considered in how many hours you work.

Sounds like you just supported my position with my comment regarding West being able to do both, then. Thanks.

JB was perfect for interviewing wrestlers BECAUSE of his small stature and dorky nature. It works to emphasize the machoness and toughness of the wrestlers he's standing next to. Why do you think a lot of managers, like Cornette and Jimmy Hart, were dorky and helpless?

LOL. You really are a piece of work, aren't you?

Thank you so much for educating me about the managers. Without your wonderous words of wisdom, I simply would have never known.

I am one of the biggest proponent of ringside managers out there .... and this may come as a big shock to you but yes, I do know why managers are selected to be dorky, cowardly, and helpless.

None of that has anything to do with calling for someone who is more professionally dressed in TNA to do the interviewing. JB however, also sometimes gets too involved as a character with skits and I feel he walks a fine line with that.

My ideal interviewer is Mean Gene Okerlund.

EDIT: (Looks like JB was in a complete suit and tie tonight. Now, we're moving in the right direction.)

If they do that, and use Dixie as TNA's equivalent to Stephanie or Linda, who is going to handle the day-to-day kayfabe leadership role?

Dixie Carter. She simply won't be on TV very often.

How often was Jack Tunney featured on WWF television back in the day, despite the fact that he was the kayfabe "President" of the WWF?

I think the GM concept has somewhat ran its course. What does the Greater Good? Seeing an authority figure each week on a wrestling program, and interacting with talents every single week (thus reducing the importance of the authority figure) ...... OR seeing an Authority figure come in two or three times a year on television for a major angle to elevate someone?

This is a case of Less is More.

You're wanting TNA to do the exact opposite of WWE, yet now you want them to do something exactly like what WWE is doing? Make up your damn mind.

Once again, Einstein, I didn't recall stating that TNA should be opposite to WWE in every single way. I said they should be an alternative to WWE programming.

What people like you do is simply take posts apart, without even processing the content of the posts or what the author is really saying. Your simple motivation is more so to dissect the post and either distort what the author is indicating or simply provide a smartass reply because you think you are "owning the poster".

Yeah, you've done a first-rate magnificent job of owning me, thus far. :rolleyes:

Your Rep certainly indicates that you are all fluff so far. Keep trying, though, and maybe you will figure out why you have such a low Reputation here.

So yes, I indicate a regular Talk Show segment for TNA.

Let's put Tenay and Taz on camera as well!

They already are.

Dude, the announcer is announcing the wrestlers while they're coming down the ramp. Watching the dramatic entrances is a little bit more important than watching the announcer speak.

This isn't a case of "Either/Or". Who says you have to chose one or the other?

I want the Ring Announcer in the ring because it is distracting hearing a person's voice doing the announcing, yet you can't see who the person is, who is doing it.

Does WWE have a problem with dramatic entrances being jeopardized because the Ring Announcer is standing in the ring? Seems like they do a nice job standing in the background during the entrances if you ask me.

WWE does that, Mr. "TNA Should Do The Exact Opposite Of What WWE Is Doing."

No, WWE does not do that. They don't have title changes and they don't take cameras at House Shows, unless they are doing Overseas tours.

To quote the great Gorilla Monsoon, "You are a Fountain of Misinformation."

You mean... like they ALREADY DO?

Not enough, in my opinion.

They are different from WWE's house shows. You don't need any title changes or any feuds starting or ending to see that. The matches themselves are much better.

No, it isn't just about the matches. It's about making each market feel special and telling your audience that "Anything can happen at any time at a TNA/WWE show." Sending a message to your audience that "nothing noteworthy happens at House Shows" is a piss poor message to send. It makes me wonder why I am spending $40 a ticket if I already know what the outcomes of the matches are going to be, and know that nothing noteworthy will happen, at all.

Which must be empty.

Um, yeah. You're cool.

BTW, work on that Reputation a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member