How the Hell is AJ Styles Overrated?

Odisho

PISTOL PETE
Latley iv been hearing about AJ styles being over rated. What is this the new stupid wrestlezone trend? AJ styles maybe a little over rated. but thats because has alot of fans. and he has alot of fans because he is talented in the ring. He may be bad at acting. But i dont care. as long as i see a good match im happy. and thats what aj stlyles always does. Hes the reason why i got into TNA. it was in 2005. I saw AJ styles vs christopher daniels in an iron man match and i became in love with both of them. And have enjoyed them both since.

Also i dont understand just because a wrestler can do a 450, or a cool high flying move they are automatically spot monkeys. AJ has proved time and time again that he can go in the ring.

So please explain to me how is AJ styles overrated, or a spot monkey.

AND by the way im a WWE fan. But im also a deep TNA fan too. I love them both.

Latley iv been hearing about AJ styles being over rated. What is this the new stupid wrestlezone trend? AJ styles maybe a little over rated. but thats because has alot of fans. and he has alot of fans because he is talented in the ring. He may be bad at acting. But i dont care. as long as i see a good match im happy. and thats what aj stlyles always does. Hes the reason why i got into TNA. it was in 2005. I saw AJ styles vs christopher daniels in an iron man match and i became in love with both of them. And have enjoyed them both since.

Also i dont understand just because a wrestler can do a 450, or a cool high flying move they are automatically spot monkeys. AJ has proved time and time again that he can go in the ring.

So please explain to me how is AJ styles overrated, or a spot monkey.

AND by the way im a WWE fan. But im also a deep TNA fan too. I love them both.

Hes a Real good worker, but i dont think he is in the same league as guys like Daniel Bryan, shawn michaels, ric flair, kurt angle, and bret hart. And thats the thing, these tna marks always act like hes the greatest worker ever, when hes not. And then his character is so weak that it hurts his in ring capabilities. He doesn't show alot of emotion when he is in the ring. He is just not this great storytelling genius that the tna marks want people to think.

Oh yeah and joe, styles, daniels is a over rated match.

He has the over-rated title on him because he is something that he can't be. A mid-card guy, who has more TV time then others. That's how he gets that title.

I understand if a talent is good in the ring, and has the look but isn't a huge draw gets the bump-down. However, nothing sucks more when a guy who doesn't draw gets good spots.

AJ is a great worker, but he is no Shawn Michaels or Chris Jericho. Two guys who can control a crowd with the mic, and put various talents over. Those are guys you can get behind, and you understand why they get good spots.

No way. AJ is like a Light Heavyweight who can pull of Cruiserweight moves and Heavyweight moves. He has a cool entrance, performs moves and entertains better than any other wrestler I have seen (Runners Up: Edge, Jeff Hardy), and is the true face of TNA. His mic skills are lacking, but he doesn't need a personality for he is a great in-ring entertainer.

More like underrated.

As of late, TNA/Impact Wrestling has toned down AJ Styles in favor of ex-WWE guys like RVD, Jeff Hardy, Mr. Anderson, etc. Now granted, I'm never on this side of the forums...but out of all the people that could've been called overrated, I don't see why none of these names were brought up. They all became main eventers so fast, even Chavo is going to be in the main event for just one debut I bet.

Hes a Real good worker, but i dont think he is in the same league as guys like Daniel Bryan, shawn michaels, ric flair, kurt angle, and bret hart. And thats the thing, these tna marks always act like hes the greatest worker ever, when hes not. And then his character is so weak that it hurts his in ring capabilities. He doesn't show alot of emotion when he is in the ring. He is just not this great storytelling genius that the tna marks want people to think.

Oh yeah and joe, styles, daniels is a over rated match.

I agree with this post to some degree. AJ Styles is a good in ring performer but I think he lacks the ability to tell a story in the ring like Shawn and Flair. AJ is like what Roy Jones was to Boxing: He's a great athlete and people respect him for it. He does amazing things and makes them look simple but his style doesn't really show emotion. I get fustrated when guys come in from WWE and get thrown in the title picture because I feel they push AJ back. Then, I think, "can he really carry the company and really stand out as the face of TNA?" Sadly, the answer is no. This is not a knock on AJ, I know how some of you guys get when I talk unfavorably about TNA and your precious MIZ, I'm not knocking AJ. I think he's a great talent and great wrestler. He just has to learn the fundamentals of good story telling. He has to learn how to take his move set and incorporate emotion. That is what made Shawn great, that is what made Flair and Eddie great as well. CM Punk is getting better at this every time out... I wouldn't be harsh and call AJ a glorified spot monkey, but I think these young fans who mark out for "spot guys" hold AJ to a high regard based on his athleticism and overlook the big picture....

Piss poor mic skills and a total lack of charisma would be my two main knocks against Styles. The average wrestling fan doesn't give two sh@ts about him, yet listening to his fans you'd think he was the Rock.

and im not trying just to act as if aj is the worst wrestler ever. I wont even act like hes not real good in the ring. I just dont think he is as good as others think he is. And i think that his lack of personality is partially why.

At first I didn't get what the AJ Styles hype was all about. He doesn't have the look. From first glance he comes across as very vanilla. But after closer review............. the man is absolutely SICK!! I've been watching wrestling 25+ years and I've never seen anyone with a move-set that could match AJ's. Just look at last week's match with Storm. He hit a flying forearm off the ropes and covered an incredible distance. The Pele kick is NUTS. Who else can nail standing back flip kicks like this? Every week, AJ's matches are match of the week candidates. Styles-Storm was, without question, the best wrestling match of the week out of the 3 shows. His PPV matches are almost always match of the year candidates. PWI rates AJ really, really high. They know wrestling there.

Please, do yourself a favor, and watch this guy's matches. I'm really hoping for an Aries-Styles match at BFG. That would be undoubtedly sick.

I've been watching wrestling for over 15 years and I can honestly say as far as in ring ability is concerned AJ styles is the best I've ever seen. I've never seen him have a bad match. He has been in legendary matches such as the 3 way at unbreakable 2005 and his recent tag match with kurt angle vs daniels & kazarian from slammiversary is my match of the year so far (and yes, that includes punk vs bryan). He also has the ability to make mediocre wrestlers look great such as his match with abyss from lockdown 2005.

Also, I feel people are to harsh on his mike skills. He may not be the best on the mike but he really isn't as bad as people are making him out to be.

AJ Styles lacks psychology. Perfect example have been his matches against Daniels, when they have had a bitter and hate filled rivalry. If you actually hate someone, you are not going to give them hurricanranas, cartwheel kicks, and 450 splashes. You are going to do HIGH IMPACT moves. Body slams, suplexes, punches, kicks, takedowns. But you saw the same shit he always does and it is garbage alot of the time because it doesnt make sense to the story.

People shit all over Cena because he "only has 5 moves" and "always has the same match". The same can be said about AJ Styles and frankly a majority of the TNA roster, which is why they are there and not in WWE. Same reasons why guys in the CFL aren't in the NFL. Just missing something and that something is psychology in AJ's case which is a HUGE deal in WWE.

TNA and ROH generally resort to high paced, flips and stunt style matches that are choppy and seem to have no spur of the moment moves. They set up the entire match prior and don't use the crowd to dictate what happens when. Which is why AJ has seen so much success in those 2 companies specifically. Some people like that. MOST people don't.

I've been watching wrestling for over 15 years and I can honestly say as far as in ring ability is concerned AJ styles is the best I've ever seen. I've never seen him have a bad match. He has been in legendary matches such as the 3 way at unbreakable 2005 and his recent tag match with kurt angle vs daniels & kazarian from slammiversary is my match of the year so far (and yes, that includes punk vs bryan).

Did you miss HBK and Bret Hart over those 15 years? Were you under a rock during WM25, WM26, and WM28 and missed The Streak matches.

AJ Styles couldn't lace the boots of many many people. He is not even the best in TNA right now let alone the best ever. What you have seen over 15 years is clearly limited if AJ is the best you have seen. I can go to an Indy show in Toronto and see guys better than AJ.

AJ Styles lacks psychology. Perfect example have been his matches against Daniels, when they have had a bitter and hate filled rivalry. If you actually hate someone, you are not going to give them hurricanranas, cartwheel kicks, and 450 splashes. You are going to do HIGH IMPACT moves. Body slams, suplexes, punches, kicks, takedowns. But you saw the same shit he always does and it is garbage alot of the time because it doesnt make sense to the story.

People shit all over Cena because he "only has 5 moves" and "always has the same match". The same can be said about AJ Styles and frankly a majority of the TNA roster, which is why they are there and not in WWE. Same reasons why guys in the CFL aren't in the NFL. Just missing something and that something is psychology in AJ's case which is a HUGE deal in WWE.

TNA and ROH generally resort to high paced, flips and stunt style matches that are choppy and seem to have no spur of the moment moves. They set up the entire match prior and don't use the crowd to dictate what happens when. Which is why AJ has seen so much success in those 2 companies specifically. Some people like that. MOST people don't.

Wtf are you talking about? Did you even see AJ vs Daniels from the latest Destination x PPV? Match was all about the physicality, and AJ wrestled like he wanted to kill Daniels(the sick throw into the steel steps, head first, etc). There was nothing "spot monkey" about that match.

Oh, btw, your remark about Tna wrestlers lacking Psychology as the main reason for them not being in the WWE is a joke. I reckon most of the generic talent WWE spews out these days didnt even know what "in ring psychology" is before WWE "TAUGHT" them(btw, HHH admitted as much in a recent intrerview).

Did you miss HBK and Bret Hart over those 15 years? Were you under a rock during WM25, WM26, and WM28 and missed The Streak matches.

AJ Styles couldn't lace the boots of many many people. He is not even the best in TNA right now let alone the best ever. What you have seen over 15 years is clearly limited if AJ is the best you have seen. I can go to an Indy show in Toronto and see guys better than AJ.

First off, this is opinion and completely subjective.

Secondly, I saw plenty of HBK and Bret Hart, and its pretty much undeniable that they couldn't pull off the moves that styles does. Did you ever see either of them ever pull off something nearly as difficult as a spiral tap? Did either of them ever torture rack bomb a 270 pound man? A.J. styles has one of the most diverse move sets in wrestling and the ability to wrestle any style that he wants.

Finally, saying that you can see better wrestlers at an indy show in Toronto is plain ignorant.

AJ is boring, 10 years in TNA, he needed to go to WWE to develop, he is just doing the same old shtick that he always does. The current storyline is disgraceful. He deserves better

Most of these so-called WZ "experts" of wrestling is unremarkable bad at what they do. And what they do is criticize other talent that they do not like or do not care for and belittle them or compare them to them to other wrestlers in their top 5 entertainers.

To not include AJ Styles in the same league as a CM punk and Daniel Bryan is absurd and shows how much of a wrestling fan they truly are. Sure, Daniel Bryan and CM Punk are great talkers, but their wrestling is no better or worse then AJ Styles. Neither AJ Styles, CM Punk and Daniel Bryan cannot really tell a good story in the ring either like HBK or Jericho could. If we take all 3 athletes and measure them by the HBK standard on how to tell a story in, then aj styles/punk/bryan are in the same class as one another.

AJ Styles is just as good as Daniel Bryan and CM Punk. Yes, AJ Styles is just behind on his mic skills, and that's all that separates them. If mic skills really mattered, road dogg jesse james would of been on the same level as cena back in his day.

YOU CAN'T BE A COMPANY FAN BOY IF YOU WANT TO BE A WRESTLING CRITIC!

Piss poor mic skills and a total lack of charisma would be my two main knocks against Styles. The average wrestling fan doesn't give two sh@ts about him, yet listening to his fans you'd think he was the Rock.

The Rock is 100x the talker AJ is but AJ is 1000x the wrestler the Rock will ever be. Just look at last weeks impacty match against Storm. That match was a classic and on free TV. AJ can get a great match out of anyone and for me that is what make him great!

I think it also has to do with storylines and character.
It's hard, for me personally, to care about AJ when he is in this ridiculous storyline he is in right now, or when he played a Nature Boy Jr a few years ago.
It's not just AJ who has that problem, I didn't care about Bryan either when he basically had nothing going for him prior to his current character.

They were and are both top notch inside a ring imo, and their matches always entertain me, but there was nothing personality wise to get invested in.

AJ is great in the ring but he has the personality of a sponge. His in ring work is in no way overrated but his interviews leave a lot to be desired. He is someone who could use some time away from TNA. I think his character got stale.

BTW just so the TNA fanboys don't throw a hissy fit, away from TNA doesn't necessarily mean in the WWE. Just someplace else where he can work on his interviews and personality.

AJ Styles is just as good as Daniel Bryan and CM Punk. Yes, AJ Styles is just behind on his mic skills, and that's all that separates them. If mic skills really mattered, road dogg jesse james would of been on the same level as cena back in his day.

YOU CAN'T BE A COMPANY FAN BOY IF YOU WANT TO BE A WRESTLING CRITIC!

First of all i never said he wasn't as good as cm punk even though i think he isn't. I said he wasn't as good as daniel bryan, and its true. I have seen great matches from daniel bryan then any other wrestler in the past 10 years. He can tell a great story, just watch any of his matches against nigel mcguiness. Its not just a spot fest. Everything had a purpose in his matches.

AJ Styles is considered overrated because TNA fans hail him as the second coming of Jesus Christ, when really, he's just a very competent ring worker with less-than-average mic skills. He's not a bad performer, but he's not the prodigy people think he is.

I have never thought of him as overrated because i have never viewed him as one of the best. He is at times an excellent worker, has had some superb matches, but is in my opinion awful on the mic. That puts him behind quite a lot of guys who came out of ROH at the same time, who are as good if not better in the ring(Bryan, Low Ki, Mcguiness) or on the mic (Punk). As i have already said though he is a great wrestler.

I like the guy, his matches with Christopher Daniels and Samoa Joe were the best things TNA had going for it back before the Hogan and Bischoff era.
However, he couldnt cut a promo to save his life, he has a generic look and as time goes on his matches have started to depend on these "spots".

I have always felt that he deserved to be in the main event based on his loyalty and his TNA fanbase...but really the man is overated and he could never have made it in WWE.

The way it is now, is that it doesn't matter how good you are in the ring, you have to be good on the mic. I really dislkike AJ on the mic but once in the ring, I would argue he is one of the best in the world right now. Therefore, as an all round superstar he is good but no incredible. TNA is the only place for him as he wouldn't cut it in the WWE.

AJ Styles is loved by many, for that reason alone, he cannot be overrated.

People refer about him not being the greatest speaker but he is more competent than guys like Rey Misterio, Brock Lesnar and Bill Goldberg. Like the current storyline or not but nobody will persuade me that he wasn't convincing in displaying his hatred for Daniels, which is pretty good in my book considering the two guys are actually best friends outside of the squared circle.

PWI might be much maligned for their kayfabe stance but they are still the yardstick for wrestling coverage. Only one non-WWe star has topped the PWI500 list and it's AJ Styles - not Kurt Angle, not 'The American Dragon' and not CM Punk.

But, hey! Maybe Pro Wrestling Illustrated are TNA and AJ marks too:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back