How Lagana and Prichard, Under the Guidance of Bischoff, Changed TNA for Good...

Shadow of Darkness

Occasional Pre-Show
First of all sorry for the Long thread...but i had cover all the points...

In March 2011, TNA decided to start pushing younger talent and go in a more wrestling-oriented direction after the Victory Road Incident basically destroyed Immortal as a credible threat.:wtf:

It was around that point when the push of Bobby Roode to the main event began and it was also around that point when Bully Ray powerbombed AJ Styles off a table, starting the Bully Ray VS AJ Styles feud that made Bully Ray a star. Roode defeated Ric Flair with a Fujiwara armbar in the Lethal Lockdown match. Meanwhile, Abyss won the X-Division Title to set up the Destination X all-X Division show. TNA redesigned their set and rebranded the show to Impact Wrestling, starting the "Wrestling Matters" campaign. The summer of 2011 was defined by the first Bound for Glory Series, where Roode and Storm became main eventers and by Austin Aries winning a contract at Destination X.

The transition was gradual and seamless to the point that most online fans didn't notice it at the time and continued with criticisms of TNA that were no longer valid for many months. On the day of Bound for Glory, the long-term plans were changed, as Bobby Roode lost to Kurt Angle in the main event after Hogan had given a cryptic interview earlier in the week about Roode not being ready to be champion. Apparently, Hogan and (probably) Pritchard changed Vince Russo's plans for Roode as the face champion (reminiscent of 1996 Shawn Michaels or 2004 Benoit) and Storm as the heel. Other than that, Russo's plans for Bound for Glory happened, including the obnoxious "Mary Sue" character of Velvet Sky finally winning the Knockouts Title in a horrible match. Then, the following Impact featured 7 minutes of wrestling and the Internet claimed that nothing had changed in TNA. But, on that show James Storm won the World Title in record time and Gail Kim debuted, signaling a new direction for the Knockouts and ending Velvet Sky's nightmarish reign before it even started. The tag division was also quickly reset as Mexican America dropped the belts to Crimson and Morgan and disappeared pretty much permanently from Impact.

The changes were already evident shortly after BFG if you knew where to look. But, it would take time for people to realize that TNA had changed for real. It really should have been apparent to everybody that this was a different TNA after Jeff Hardy failed to beat Roode for the title, which was a sign that TNA now prefers building for the long-term to a short-term ratings pop.

People say this wsa what Paul Heyman wanted to bring in TNA. Still, this is not Paul Heyman's plan for TNA. Instead of firing most of the roster, TNA kept most of the existing roster and just pushed the right guys on top. Instead of hiring a WWE reject who lost every match he ever had in WWE and having him squash the entire roster (Back then Heyman's plan involved signing Daniel Bryan, who was at that time fresh off losing every match on NXT and getting fired for choking an announcer with a tie and having him immediately beat everybody by submission in squash matches, offcourse Daniel Bryan is a big name now...but he was a mere jobber during that time), TNA pushed their homegrown talent as top stars. As much as I like Daniel Bryan (by the way, it was Gabe Sapolsky who said that Heyman wanted Bryan to squash the whole roster) and as much as I respect Heyman's past work as a booker, he would have been an awful choice to run TNA. Completely throwing out the roster and starting from scratch would have been a bad idea, especially given just how There was no need to throw out the entire roster and start from scratch. The success of the rebranding and the new creative team has proven just that.

Impact went from being a show that was trying to recreate the Attitude Era to a show reminiscent of early 2000s Smackdown, which fits the roster better. Vince Russo's style of booking was pretty much the only style that could have gotten a good show out of the WWF roster in 1998 and 1999, but it was out of place in TNA even if it was better for TV ratings. Pritchard and Lagana's style is perfect for early 2010s TNA just like Russo's style was perfect for late 1990s WWF and that is why Impact is so good right now. Pritchard and Lagana didn't really change the direction of TNA that much as the company was already largely heading in that direction before they came around, but the changes they did make have been mostly for the better.

One more thing... people bash Bischoff for pushing established stars, but it was Bischoff only who pushed GOLDBERG and DDP, two of the Biggest Home-grown stars of WCW. Bischoff was the man who managed the TNA Board of Members to fire Russo, and promote Prichard and sign Lagana. He is a genius when he has wrestling people around him (not Russo).

So, what do u people say...:blush:

Overall, the Pritchard/Lagana team has been a good one for TNA. Each broadcast is more focused on wrestling matches themselves and is therefore far more marketable to the public because it is in fact delivering on what it promised: wrestling matches. TNA still has a long way to go and this booking staff is certainly far from perfect, but they have a good chance at being an excellent team in the years to come.

As a side note, I do think that Heyman would have been a good booker, although a crude one certainly, for his policy on wanting all forty year olds out of the company is not my idea of cleaning house. However, I understand his thinking, as the veterans egos and price tags are a bit unbearable at times for TNA and a fresh start is never a bad idea.

In March 2011, TNA decided to start pushing younger talent and go in a more wrestling-oriented direction after the Victory Road Incident basically destroyed Immortal as a credible threat.:wtf:

It was around that point when the push of Bobby Roode to the main event began and it was also around that point when Bully Ray powerbombed AJ Styles off a table, starting the Bully Ray VS AJ Styles feud that made Bully Ray a star. Roode defeated Ric Flair with a Fujiwara armbar in the Lethal Lockdown match. Meanwhile, Abyss won the X-Division Title to set up the Destination X all-X Division show. TNA redesigned their set and rebranded the show to Impact Wrestling, starting the "Wrestling Matters" campaign. The summer of 2011 was defined by the first Bound for Glory Series, where Roode and Storm became main eventers and by Austin Aries winning a contract at Destination X.

The transition was gradual and seamless to the point that most online fans didn't notice it at the time and continued with criticisms of TNA that were no longer valid for many months. On the day of Bound for Glory, the long-term plans were changed, as Bobby Roode lost to Kurt Angle in the main event after Hogan had given a cryptic interview earlier in the week about Roode not being ready to be champion. Apparently, Hogan and (probably) Pritchard changed Vince Russo's plans for Roode as the face champion (reminiscent of 1996 Shawn Michaels or 2004 Benoit) and Storm as the heel. Other than that, Russo's plans for Bound for Glory happened, including the obnoxious "Mary Sue" character of Velvet Sky finally winning the Knockouts Title in a horrible match. Then, the following Impact featured 7 minutes of wrestling and the Internet claimed that nothing had changed in TNA. But, on that show James Storm won the World Title in record time and Gail Kim debuted, signaling a new direction for the Knockouts and ending Velvet Sky's nightmarish reign before it even started. The tag division was also quickly reset as Mexican America dropped the belts to Crimson and Morgan and disappeared pretty much permanently from Impact.

The changes were already evident shortly after BFG if you knew where to look. But, it would take time for people to realize that TNA had changed for real. It really should have been apparent to everybody that this was a different TNA after Jeff Hardy failed to beat Roode for the title, which was a sign that TNA now prefers building for the long-term to a short-term ratings pop.

People say this wsa what Paul Heyman wanted to bring in TNA. Still, this is not Paul Heyman's plan for TNA. Instead of firing most of the roster, TNA kept most of the existing roster and just pushed the right guys on top. Instead of hiring a WWE reject who lost every match he ever had in WWE and having him squash the entire roster (Back then Heyman's plan involved signing Daniel Bryan, who was at that time fresh off losing every match on NXT and getting fired for choking an announcer with a tie and having him immediately beat everybody by submission in squash matches, offcourse Daniel Bryan is a big name now...but he was a mere jobber during that time), TNA pushed their homegrown talent as top stars. As much as I like Daniel Bryan (by the way, it was Gabe Sapolsky who said that Heyman wanted Bryan to squash the whole roster) and as much as I respect Heyman's past work as a booker, he would have been an awful choice to run TNA. Completely throwing out the roster and starting from scratch would have been a bad idea, especially given just how There was no need to throw out the entire roster and start from scratch. The success of the rebranding and the new creative team has proven just that.

Impact went from being a show that was trying to recreate the Attitude Era to a show reminiscent of early 2000s Smackdown, which fits the roster better. Vince Russo's style of booking was pretty much the only style that could have gotten a good show out of the WWF roster in 1998 and 1999, but it was out of place in TNA even if it was better for TV ratings. Pritchard and Lagana's style is perfect for early 2010s TNA just like Russo's style was perfect for late 1990s WWF and that is why Impact is so good right now. Pritchard and Lagana didn't really change the direction of TNA that much as the company was already largely heading in that direction before they came around, but the changes they did make have been mostly for the better.

One more thing... people bash Bischoff for pushing established stars, but it was Bischoff only who pushed GOLDBERG and DDP, two of the Biggest Home-grown stars of WCW. Bischoff was the man who managed the TNA Board of Members to fire Russo, and promote Prichard and sign Lagana. He is a genius when he has wrestling people around him (not Russo).

Ill give credit where credit is do. TNA has not been dogshit for a while, and have pushed talent pretty successfully, like bully ray is now at the top of his game, austin aries is a main eventer, and then beer money is also up there. And there was the joseph parks stuff that was great.

But there are still problems that are there. To much hogan. Most of the talent not being able to cut a promo that doesn't sound cheesy(im looking at you kaz, daniels, and styles.) And also no one is good enough (or being booked good enough) to become superstars. Also even though tna has gotten better, its still hard to eek down the whole show, and ppvs have been pretty bad. Not to mention the dumb storylines they still have (aces and eights, brooke and buh buh, aj with crack head.)

So as much progress as tna is making, they still aren't the great company that some of you are fooling yourselfs into thinking it is.

Like paul heyman said, they have to fight for every inch of market share that they can get, and they haven't been fighting all that much. I mean they have to be 10 times as cutting edge as wwe(and i dont mean format, as both wwe and tna have proven format doesn't really get viewers.), they have to have 10 times better shows, and finally they have to force people to buy there ppvs and go to shows.

And one more thing. Daniel bryan being signed to tna at that time would have been great for buisness. He was the main star of a wwe tv show, he was just fired for being too violent, and was so over that for an entire wwe ppv instead of the fans chanting for the wrestlers in the ring they were chanting for him. He was hot at the time, and has gotten even hotter. Just look how over he is now. But what do i know, im just an average viewer.

I personally am a Vince Russo/Eric Bischoff guy. I think the way that they book is best for the product's entertainment value. The problem is no one who still consistently watches wrestling cares about entertainment anymore. So with that said, the changes that the Pritchard/Lagana team have made in the last year and a half are better for business.

-Pushing homegrown talent Bobby Roode as the company's top heel was their best move. He is, without question, a top-5 wrestler in the industry right now.

-Austin Aries' push was a little unexpected and premature, but it was done to appease the consistent wrestling fans which makes it a good move.

-Homegrown stars Kaz and Daniels are the best tag team in the business right now. I find myself cracking up laughing every week at something one of them say.

-The storylines are more conservative than something Russo would put together, but they're still more interesting than WWE storylines. This was also good for business because they will not distract the audience from the actual wrestling improvements they've made.

-Recent shakeups of the announcing team have also been a good move, but I still don't think they've found the right group. Tazz has been much better since the movements began. I think he could be a great Jerry Lawler-esque tweener behind the booth and should be paired with someone who has a much better storytelling voice.

Ultimately, the product currently has some really bright spots as well as some very obvious margins for improvement. But I do feel a confidence now that the future of the company is in good hands; something I never felt while I was highly enjoying Immortal running a muck on TNA in addition to the other Russo storylines.

I also think that the consistent wrestling wrestling audience (IWC, whatever the hell you want to call yourselves) need to take a few weeks to embrace Impact Wrestling and help get that TV rating up where it belongs. Competition in wrestling will only make WWE better.

I definitely think they have improved the product. I don't think anyone can argue with that. Is it perfect? Definitely not. I mean most weekly TV shows don't make it 7-8 or seasons and the ones that do don't just have 1 guy writing. TNA did. That's why the product became stale because Russo had run out of ideas and didn't have a lot of help.

The guys that jump on here and say that it still sucks, WWE is king, and should close it's doors because it's not taking ratings from WWE need to let it go. Until WWE closes it's doors, I don't think anyone is going to compete with it. TNA seems to be happy with it's portion of fans and at this point they seem to be trying solidfy the product.

In the past, TNA has tried ploys to grab the audience. The next big shock factor story line. Signing Hulk Hogan. They are coming. None of it worked because it wasn't built on a solid foundation. It was built on a guy or an angle. TNA is really working now on building a solid roster of stars who can carry their audience. Get a stable rating. (I'm sure they'd like it to be higher). I'm sure they're making money or at least breaking even or they wouldn't be in business.

Now they seem to have a solid foundation. They've tried a big angle, Aces and 8's, with moderate success. Probably not the overwhelming success they hoped. They have solid storylines with decent progression and payoffs. They are doing anything extremely groundbreaking, but TNA fans are as happy with the product as they've been in probably the 10 years they've been in business. Do they have fails? Sure. I think Joey Ryan is a fail. I think Chavo is a fail. Morgan's return is a failure so far. Aces and 8's better start gaining it's momentum back or it may be a fail.

Either way, not every idea is going to pan out, but week in and week out, I think TNA is better than it was 2-4 years ago. It boils down to I'd rather watch Roode, Aries, Bully Ray, Storm, Hardy, AJ Styles, Daniels, Kaz, and Morgan on the top of the bill, than Jarrett, Angle, Nash, Booker, Sting, Flair and even Hogan. They've made a shift. I like it better and I think most fans do too.

Without a doubt the product has vastly improved since Prichard and Lagana took over creatively. I am a huge TNA fan i do enjoy it over WWE especially since summer of 2011 when everything that we see on tv today was set in motion. The fact that TNA is now producing its own stars instead of relying on WWE rejects shows that they are willing to book long term which is how it should be. Also them getting rid of a few ppvs ensures that the build and anticipation to bigger events will be better and with that we get better quality wrestling all around.

Lagana, Pritchard, and Bischoff are just rehashing old WWE & WCW Storylines.

Aces & Eights is a weak version of the NWO or Nexus
James Storm and Santa... Just like Steve Austin and Santa

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...EC469FA40FAE602DD6E4EC469FA40FAE602DD&first=0

Nexus - a bunch of complete rookies who came in, trashed the whole place and immediately announced a leader. Their goal? Unknown.

nWo - invading forces from the WWF, all former WWF employees and very famous in their own right, portrayed themselves as a separate entity not a part of wCw with a clear leader in Hulk Hogan

Aces and Eights - bikers in masks, nobody knows who their leader is, they're hired guns and don't really care enough to have an agenda.

After the three definitions provided, it is clear to see that the only corrolation between Aces&Eights and nWo/Nexus is the fact that it's a group consisting of more than 3 members. Otherwise, the nature of their agenda is different or unknown, their look is different, their actions are different, the members themselves are neither rookies neither extremely famous wrestlers and have absolutely NOTHING in common with either faction.

Therefore calling Aces&Eights a nWo or Nexus re-hash, based on the fact that it consists of 3+ people is like saying that The Rock is a Doink The Clown rip-off because they both have legs.

Moving on to the next idiotic statement. It's really becoming a pattern with you. I'm THIS close to naming you the new troll of this section of the website. Anyprick, let's continue ...

James Storm and Santa is just like Austin and Santa.

Well, it IS similar in that it has a Santa and a MALE in the ring and they like beer. However, the segments have two different purposes. Of course, you can't be bothered THINKING so I'll do that for you.

Christopher Daniels and Kazarian are mocking AJ Styles and Christmas in general with what they were doing. Out comes James Storm (who is AJ's friend) to end this mockery of his buddy AND Christmas since (as he said) he's a hard working man like the people and doesn't like this type of thing. He comes in, kicks Santa in the jaw.

Meanwhile, Stone Cold did it just for the lulz. No motive, no agenda, no Daniels, no Kazarian, no nothing.

I guarantee you, however, that you wouldn't have made this stupid connection if someone other than James Storm did this. Because he's a lot like Austin.

How do I know? You didn't mention Ziggler doing the same thing to Santa, thus WWE rehashing its own storylines.

AND, before you say that they can rehash their own storylines because THEY made them themselves ... if THAT'S the case then Bischoff can rip off the nWo all he wants because HE came up with it so MERRY CHRISTMAS!

This creative team definitly changed TNA in late 2011 and it was a drastic change. They gave the key to the kingdom to several homegrown talent, especially new talent such as Austin Aries, Roode, Storm and so forth and other vets were reenergizes like Bully Ray. I think their goal was simple: keep it simple, focus on a small number of key guys and put your writing at their service.

Now with the bad: I think their plan and structure of booking was thrown out the window once Aces And Eights came in the picture. So far things was ran smoothly and it felt like Bischoff went to the tried formula of an "invasion of bad guys attacking people". Right there I think was the mistake he should not have made, it's like he did not trust what TNA was doing enough. He put the "fresh" and "new" aside for going to things he did before. Worse was when TNA crowned Jeff Hardy champ at BFG, again the trust he had shown in the new talent was nullified, going by the boring familar star. And TNA has been unwatchable ever since.

Bischoff and Hogan seemed to have reinvented themselves and by the end of 2012 they had returned to the abysmal planners that had ruined WCW. We should have seen the first signs of this when they had Garrett Bischoff lead his own team at Lockdown. I'm not looking for 2013 with Aces and 8s "ruling the World" with limp talent like Devon, D-Lo, Garrett Bischoff and Wes Brisco.

I have liked seeing more television time centered on homegrown TNA talent. Like Aries, Roode, Storm, Styles, Daniels and Kaz. There also seems to be more in ring wrestling since they have been in charge. They have also created some interesting concepts. Like OFN and the whole Option C thing with the X Division title.

Yeah, I kind of realized these changes too. They now have Open fight night, Championship Thursday, Bootcamp, guys like Roode and Aries are getting/got a push and the story-lines haven't been that bad. Storylines like the Aces and Eights which as many hooked. I guess it proves Bischoff isn't the piece of shit we all think he is as he helped Lagana and Prichard.

I think the only issue with these guys making decisions is that they're not focusing on the mid-carders. Look at how low the KO, TV and X division have been lately with 5 people/teams in each. Actually the tag team has 2 but oh well. They need to emphasize on these divisions too, otherwise I think they're going pretty slick. Kudos to them, I hope this continues.

There's a gigantic hole to all of this and one that I'm sure is going to be ignored unless a light is shed on it. Thus, I am going to be the guy with the spotlight.

While I enjoy some of the work of this new crop of talent, from Aries to Storm to Roode and Bully Ray, it's easy to label this "new direction" a failure. Actually, there is no other way to label it. It, and the guys in charge of it, are failures.

I'm sorry to be blunt but it's true. How do I know that? Because it's not about what I think or you think of "program quality". It's not about whether the storylines are interesting or not. The wrestling business is about the bottom line, making money. When it comes to TV, the more viewers you have, the more money you can charge for advertising in your time slot. Unfortunately for Lagana and Pritchard, ratings have gone DOWN consistently since they took the helm. At this point, it's a win if the show gets over a 1 rating and a party if more than 1.5 million people watch. Given that a year ago, we were talking about averaging between 1.5 and 1.8 million viewers and that's a couple hundred thousand people that aren't watching consistently anymore. Advertisers see this trend and can't be happy. You want an upward trend, not a downward one.

The thing is, I don't know what storyline direction or what pushing of what talent will change that trend. I do know that whatever is happening now isn't working though. While I like the talent being pushed, I think the storylines have been as weak as they've ever been as there's nothing from week to week worth investing in other than maybe a funny promo or good match. There is no story that keeps you coming back. What that means is that the wrestling fans will watch but casual fans won't. Casual fans will watch for the story. Hardcore fans will watch and hope a comedy segment makes them laugh and a match is 4-5 star. Problem is, you don't get ratings and make money by catering the show to the smarks. Those guys will watch regardless. You want to cater the product to the casual viewer who is channel surfing and looking for something good. I'm not claiming to have all the answers, but clearly TNA doesn't either.

I understand that the wrestling business is down all around and that's probably part of it too, but I believe in large part it has to do with what's going on in both places. WWE's idiotic decision to keep the title on Punk WAY past the point of anyone caring and TNA's keeping Aces and Eights on TV WAY past the point of anyone caring doesn't help. If you make your TV better, maybe ratings go up. Until they do though, you can't call any creative direction anything but a failure because the goal is to get more people watching so that your company makes more money. That's not happening right now which makes LPB (Lagana, Pritchard, and Bischoff) a failure.

I think the TNA Product has been quite good for quite a while now. Agree that their ratings and audience and PPV buy rates are not improving, but this is the sowing season. Sure they will be able to reap the benefits in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back