• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How is Hulk Hogan overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hulkamaniac

Vote Hogan, Savage, Rocky and Thesz
I keep seeing this written everywhere I go, and I have to say....uh, what? How is Hogan overrated? People like to criticize his workrate, but that's not really a point of contention. Most Hogan fans don't claim he's Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels in terms of moves. That said, most often his opponents came out looking like a million bucks, and Hogan told a great story in the ring, so it seems to me the work-rate comparison mainly falls to "amount of moves." Well I know for a fact no reputable Hogan fan has ever claimed the man utilized a vast repertoire of moves in the ring, so it seems in that respect he's rated properly.

He's often called one of, if not the, greatest draws of all time. That's not overrated, that's a fact. He's often called the biggest figure in the Golden Age of Wrestling. Again, a fact.

So how is he overrated? And please, I don't care about the "he held down so and so" argument, it has no place here. This isn't a thread about if Hogan played politics, it's about how he's overrated, and holding people down, whether it's true or not, is neither here nor there.

He was great for his time. But when a person wins ALL the time, it gets boring. His gimmick has grown stale, he's old and can't wrestle. And I haven't seen him do anything interesting in wrestling in years. The last memory I have of Hogan in wrestling was when Shawn Michaels carried him through a match at wrestlemania only to lay down, giving him an undeserved W imo.

He WAS a big deal, and him being in the spotlight now seems meaningless to me unless its to put over a young talent. but from what I hear of his ego - that's not likely to happen too often. THAT'S why he's overrated.

I think Hogan is overrated because of the amount of fame he has compared to his talent. He simply isn't that good at wrestling. He can however sell seats which is ironic. It shows wrestling isn't all about wrestling after all and guys like AJ Styles will be overlooked while guys who can sell and deliver promos will be remembered.

I personally don't like Hulk Hogan. John Cena is much like Hulk Hogan. Both are not good at wrestling but are huge names that can draw 70,000-90,000 people.

Hulk Hogan used to have tons of charisma, great speaking ability, was a good wrestler during his tenure in Japan, was a master storyteller, and had the ability to make the fans feel what he was feeling and go absolutely ape shit with emotion. I wish guys like Steve Austin and The Rock had the longevity that Hogan had. And since he has had a bigger impact on the wrestling business than any wrestler alive, he has received a lot of praise from fan boys who think he is the be all, end all of pro wrestling, which is hard to debate considering he is one of the most well rounded entertainers in the history of this business. Is he perfect? Hell no, far from it. But I do believe he thinks himself as god, he doesn't like being out of the spotlight, and he has a hard time staying away from the ring. It seems like he's having a hard time accepting the fact that he can't wrestle forever, and there's more to life than pro wrestling.

Hogan is overrated because he's not nearly as great as people have made him out to be. Now no doubt that Hulk Hogan is the biggest draw in the history of wrestling. I'm not knocking that at all and being able to make money is an important aspect in any business. Hogan did make a lot of money for the WWF during his heyday and helped make WCW a force in the 90s. However, as important as the bottom line is, it can't be the only means of measuring what makes a great wrestler.

When you look at Hulk Hogan's overall in-ring wrestling capabilities, the ability to be thought of as the best just isn't there. Hogan's offense consisted primarily of some of the most elementary wrestling moves there are. Punch, body slam, clothesline, big boot and leg drop. That was Hogan's primary offense, though he would occassionally toss in a rake of the eyes or a few other very elementary moves. The point is that anybody that's had any wrestling training for a few weeks can be as good in the ring as Hogan was.

Hogan had charisma, no doubt about that and that's very important as well. I'm not saying that he doesn't deserve a lot of credit or that he doesn't deserve to be called an all-time great. Hulk Hogan helped bring pro wrestling to a level it had never been before, but remember that it wasn't all him. He was marketed perfectly by the WWF, he went up against wrestlers that fans at the time wanted to see him wrestle. Hogan had a great character, but his abilities in the ring hindered him a lot for some people.

Compared with people like HBK, Bret Hart, Randy Savage, Tito Santana, Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard, Sting, Barry Windham and a number of others that were Hoga's contemporaries at the time, Hogan was just downright awful in the ring.

I believe that people sometimes take Hogan's charisma and the fact he was a huge draw at one time blind them to the fact that the man was a terrible wrestler that often had terrible matches. His matches against Big John Studd, King Kong Bundy, Andre the Giant were all terrible. He did have some good matches of course, but they were against men that carried him throughout much of those matches.

Hogan was the greatest draw in wrestling history and that can't be debated or taken away from him. However, the overall talent of the man didn't match up with what he was able to draw. People did love him and they flocked to see him, but the man was shit in the ring.

I love how people talk about wrestling ability. Watch Hogan's match against Bret in WCW when Hogan went back and forth with Bret move for move. Go look at some of Hogan's matches in Japan against guys like Inoki and then comeback and tell me he's overrated. Hogan worked the style of wrestling that he wrestled for years because it catered to the American audience. Hogan doing fancy moves and fancy technical would not have fit the Hogan character. Hogan was the guy who faced the evil villain, got his but handed to him, and used his power to overcome the villain in the end. That's what he gave us, that's what the people accepted, and that's what the people ate up. Besides we're talking about a different era here. Hogan came up in the 80s and early 90s where wrestling was more about story telling and inring psychology not the amount of submissions and highspots you can do in a match. Who back then had a large arsenal of moves in their moveset anyway? Flair certainly wasn't doing multiple moves per match. Flair has been the same routine man he's been for years but yet people act like he's the greatest thing since slice bread? When it comes down to moves, Flair is just as limited and redundant as Hogan so please don't play the hypocrite/double standard role. Hogan had a job to do and he did it overly well. So to sum everything, Hogan is not overrated. He's rated correctly. He's the Michael Jordon of wrestling, the Ali of wrestling, etc.

I love how people talk about wrestling ability. Watch Hogan's match against Bret in WCW when Hogan went back and forth with Bret move for move. Go look at some of Hogan's matches in Japan against guys like Inoki and then comeback and tell me he's overrated.

Ok, I just did. He's still overrated. Showing some wrestling ability once or twice every decade and a half or so is some sort of measuring stick? Anybody can look good a few times but consistency would have gone a long way. Hogan chose his path, but just don't anyone to drop trou, bend over and take it up the tailpipe just because of a few bright moments scattered over years and years.

That's what he gave us, that's what the people accepted, and that's what the people ate up.

People used to eat up Disco as well but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's the greatest thing in the history of music either.

Besides we're talking about a different era here. Hogan came up in the 80s and early 90s where wrestling was more about story telling and inring psychology not the amount of submissions and highspots you can do in a match. Who back then had a large arsenal of moves in their moveset anyway?

Ring psychology and storytelling...you mean the idea of him "hulking up" after being beaten for much of the match, making the comeback and vanquishing the forces of evil while doing his little hand to the ear gesture before breaking into a posedown for the masses? As far as his arsenal goes, I never said I wanted a huge arsenal. But it would be nice for the biggest star in the business to do more than what anybody could learn to do within a week of training. Forgive me, but Hogan's punch/big boot/leg drop triple play just didn't blow up my skirt.

When it comes down to moves, Flair is just as limited and redundant as Hogan so please don't play the hypocrite/double standard role.

Yeah, I don't know about that. Flair was someone that could actually wrestle and often did quite well. If you were to take Ric Flair circa 1985 and put him into a ring today, he'd still be able to wrestle a great match. He could still have matches with Kurt Angle, HBK and others that would bring the house down. If you put Hogan at 30 years old in the ring today doing his thing, he'd get even less respect than John Cena does. If, and I'm saying IF, Hogan could but chose his own limited style, then that's his problem. You can't expect anyone to be blown away by Hogan's ability IF he ultimately chose not to show what he could really do. Flair would, on occassion, at least job sometimes or win most of the time in ways that made his opponents look like they were credible contenders and threats to him. Between 1984 and 1990, Hogan jobbed cleanly a handful of times that were count outs and only one pinfall and that was to the Ultimate Warrior. Even then, Hogan was still the center of attention in the WWF and made sure that his program would outshine whatever feud the Warrior was in.

Hogan had a job to do and he did it overly well. So to sum everything, Hogan is not overrated. He's rated correctly. He's the Michael Jordon of wrestling, the Ali of wrestling, etc.

Not really. Jordan and Ali were the best in their fields but Hogan wasn't. If Hogan could work as well in the ring as Jordan played on the court and Ali did in the ring, then nobody would even dare to think of Hogan as overrated.

Ok, I just did. He's still overrated.
I doubt any legitimate fan will tell you that they loved Hogan because he could wrestle 50 iron man matches with each match having its own style, pace, twists/turns and story attached to it. His overall style was nothing like HBK, Bret Hart, Chris Benoit, Owen Hart, Arn Anderson and Dean Malenko. Hogan wasn't known for being a technical wrestler, his character and personality never called for it and he adapted to an in-ring style and personality that captured the hearts of millions of fans. He was a larger than life heavy-weight that had a good heart and delivered a positive message to a lot of kids and adults alike, this phase of his career didn't last forever; he turned heel at the perfect time and in grand fashion kicked off the greatest boom period that WCW had ever experienced. Hogan had arguably the greatest heel turn in pro wrestling history. And the fact that his heel turn had a major influence in turning business around for that company is a testament to how talented he really was.

They spent a lot of money to do it, but they also earned a lot of money in the process.
Anybody can look good a few times but consistency would have gone a long way.
Hogan had a very consistent character in the 80's. His charisma was OFF-THE-CHARTS and he was apart of arguably the greatest tag team of all time.
People used to eat up Disco as well but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's the greatest thing in the history of music either.
I see what your saying, and I agree with you. Hogan's time came and went quite a few years ago. He should've retired after he put The Rock over at WM X8. Now days, he's old and fragile, beaten up and injured, can't cut a promo at all and he needs to stay away for good.

you mean the idea of him "hulking up" after being beaten for much of the match, making the comeback and vanquishing the forces of evil while doing his little hand to the ear gesture before breaking into a posedown for the masses?
Every wrestler has a finish, and every wrestler had a trademark set of moves that got the crowd pumped up and going crazy. Hogan did it better than almost everyone in the history of the business. In his time, we loved it. In Austins time, we loved him. In Bret Hart's time, we loved him. These people are past their prime and can't wrestle anymore, some of them have a hard time accepting that there's more to life than wrestling, like the Hulkster!
But it would be nice for the biggest star in the business to do more than what anybody could learn to do within a week of training. Forgive me, but Hogan's punch/big boot/leg drop triple play just didn't blow up my skirt.
Then you definitely need to watch footage from his New Japan career. During that entire stay, he proved that he was a solid in ring wrestler. Hulkamania wasn't marketed and captalized by any promoter until he signed with Vince Jr and the WWF.

Hogan never specialized in a million moves that he tried to use in every single match, for 30 years. He wasn't Dean Malenko, and he changed his style when he needed to.

Ok, I just did. He's still overrated.
I doubt any legitimate fan will tell you that they loved Hogan because he could wrestle 50 iron man matches with each match having its own style, pace, twists/turns and story attached to it. His overall style was nothing like HBK, Bret Hart, Chris Benoit, Owen Hart, Arn Anderson and Dean Malenko. Hogan wasn't known for being a technical wrestler, his character and personality never called for it and he adapted to an in-ring style and personality that captured the hearts of millions of fans. He was a larger than life heavy-weight that had a good heart and delivered a positive message to a lot of kids and adults alike, this phase of his career didn't last forever; he turned heel at the perfect time and in grand fashion kicked off the greatest boom period that WCW had ever experienced. Hogan had arguably the greatest heel turn in pro wrestling history. And the fact that his heel turn had a major influence in turning business around for that company is a testament to how talented he really was.

They spent a lot of money to do it, but they also earned a lot of money in the process.
Anybody can look good a few times but consistency would have gone a long way.
Hogan had a very consistent character in the 80's. His charisma was OFF-THE-CHARTS and he was apart of arguably the greatest tag team of all time.
I see what your saying, and I agree with you. Hogan's time came and went quite a few years ago. He should've retired after he put The Rock over at WM X8. Now days, he's old and fragile, beaten up and injured, can't cut a promo at all and he needs to stay away for good.

you mean the idea of him "hulking up" after being beaten for much of the match, making the comeback and vanquishing the forces of evil while doing his little hand to the ear gesture before breaking into a posedown for the masses?
Every wrestler has a finish, and every wrestler had a trademark set of moves that got the crowd pumped up and going crazy. Hogan did it better than almost everyone in the history of the business. In his time, we loved it. In Austins time, we loved him. In Bret Hart's time, we loved him. These people are past their prime and can't wrestle anymore, some of them have a hard time accepting that there's more to life than wrestling, like the Hulkster!
But it would be nice for the biggest star in the business to do more than what anybody could learn to do within a week of training. Forgive me, but Hogan's punch/big boot/leg drop triple play just didn't blow up my skirt.
Then you definitely need to watch footage from his New Japan career, watch several of his matches and you will see that Hogan was very capable of going toe to toe with Arn Anderson.. During that entire stay, he proved that he was a solid in ring wrestler. Hulkamania wasn't marketed and captalized by any promoter until he signed with Vince Jr and the WWF.

Hogan never specialized in a million moves that he tried to use in every single match, for 30 years. He wasn't Dean Malenko, and he changed his style when he needed to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f-p0tkCuZg

I used to love Hogan back in his prime, but not so much anymore.

He was over-rated unbelievably recently, with the amount of TNA fans claiming he was going to make TNA take over the WWE. No one wrestler is that good, and to think otherwise shows people were over-rating Hogan's ability. He's one of the all-time greats, no one's denying that. But to say his appearance could make WWE become the smaller of the companies was taking it too far.

I doubt any legitimate fan will tell you that they loved Hogan because he could wrestle 50 iron man matches with each match having its own style, pace, twists/turns and story attached to it. His overall style was nothing like HBK, Bret Hart, Chris Benoit, Owen Hart, Arn Anderson and Dean Malenko. Hogan wasn't known for being a technical wrestler, his character and personality never called for it and he adapted to an in-ring style and personality that captured the hearts of millions of fans.

And as I said, the fact that Hogan's in-ring style was so limited is what makes me believe he's overrated. His ability didn't match the hype and charisma his character generated. When someone tells me that Hulk Hogan is the greatest of all time, going back to the charisma card every time isn't going to do it. There has to be some kind of substance there for me to latch onto aside from the the hype. For example, Adolf Hitler is considered to be the most vile and wicked man of the 20th Century, maybe in all of human history. Now, that's something I believe not because of Hitler's speeches condemning the Jews because anybody can say hateful words. I do believe it, however, because of the actions Hitler took to try to wipe an entire race of people from the face of Europe. Hulk Hogan has charisma, once again, I've never said he didn't. And If, IF IF IF, Hulk Hogan was a better in-ring wrestler than he showed for more than a decade and a half but decided to rely on the most rudimentary and elementary of pro wrestling moves to get by, then nobody can honestly be surprised whenever someone says that they're turned off by watching Hogan wrestle. Hogan had a great character, but his ability didn't match up with the character. Thus, in my view, he is overrated.

Yeah, let's not go nuts here. The Mega-Powers were not the greatest tag team of all time, not even arguably. The Road Warriors, The Rock n Roll Express, the Midnight Express, the Midnight Rockers, the Steiner Brothers, Harlem Heat, the Hart Foundation, the British Bulldogs, and so on and so forth. These are examples of teams that could potentially lay claim to the title of the greatest tag team of all time. What Hogan and Savage did in less than a year together can't compete with the legendary matches, feuds, and title wins that these teams experienced. These are teams that revolutionized tag team wrestling, helped continue to make tag team wrestling viable in pro wrestling, the Mega-Powers weren't.

Why does everyone seem to think that you have to have this neverending arsenal of moves and countermoves like Dean Malenko in order to be a good wrestler. And yes, I'm afraid that Hogan did use only certain moves almost entirely throughout his glory days. Punch, clothesline, body slam, big boot, leg drop. That was Hogan's primary offense and comprised much of his move set during his matches. He'd occassionally rake the eyes, deliver a chop, and I can recall him using a reverse chin-lock once or twice, but his move set was the most basic, elementary set of moves that anyone can do.

I cant really see how the Hulksters overrated either, no one pretends that he was a technical expert in his WWF career, not that knowing a shit load of moves is what makes you a good wrestler anyway. Otherwise Dean Malenko should be a multi time World Champ (I can just smell the ratings for that).

Hogan's offence was as basic as Cena's, The Rocks, Stone Cold's, even Ric Flair. So what if he did a clothesline instead of a super armbar takedown headscissors piledriver, a clothesline from a man Hogan's size is gonna hurt. It's the old saying "simple, but effective". Hogan didnt need fancy moves, people fucking loved him anyway.

I cant really see how the Hulksters overrated either, no one pretends that he was a technical expert in his WWF career, not that knowing a shit load of moves is what makes you a good wrestler anyway. Otherwise Dean Malenko should be a multi time World Champ (I can just smell the ratings for that).

Hogan's offence was as basic as Cena's, The Rocks, Stone Cold's, even Ric Flair. So what if he did a clothesline instead of a super armbar takedown headscissors piledriver, a clothesline from a man Hogan's size is gonna hurt. It's the old saying "simple, but effective". Hogan didnt need fancy moves, people fucking loved him anyway.

I agree, no one pretends that he was a technical expert, but when people call him the greatest of all time, they're going to have to back it up. As I've said, Hogan is the greatest draw but that doesn't automatically rank him as the greatest pro wrestler. But Hogan's triple play of the punch, big boot and leg drop just doesn't impress me. Maybe as I've grown older and have had a chance to look back over at Hogan's career, I've been able to see just how awful in the ring he was. I'm not 5 years old anymore, all the posing and hand to the ear thing just doesn't impress me. Hogan's bland wrestling ability, his loud growling promos his "whatcha gonna do brothers" and all that just doesn't make me say he's the greatest and never really will.

As for comparing him to other wrestlers, I just don't see it. While Cena isn't AJ Styles in terms of what he can do in the ring, his in-ring work isn't as elementary as Hogan's. At least Cena will go to the top, will employ submission moves, will take a hard and solid bump. When it comes to Steve Austin, before his knees started going to hell, he was also a better wrestler than Hogan. He worked great matches against the likes of Ricky Steamboat back in his WCW days that were competitive and entertaining. As far as Ric Flair goes, you must be joking. I was watching the Ric Flair: The Ultimate Collection DVD a few weeks ago and there's a match in there where he wrestles Jack Brisco in a great scientific match just to show that he could. It's not just Hogan's offense, it's everything else. It's his ability to sell, his ability and/or willingness to put over others and make them look good as well, it's about the overall package.

When I watch a Hulk Hogan match, most of them bore me half to death unless he's being carried by an exceptional talent and that didn't happen very much in his WWF days and it didn't happen all that often when he went to WCW. Everytime you watched the man fight Ric Flair in WCW, everyone knew that Ric Flair was going to do the job. Hogan could have had some of the best programs in wrestling potentially but he'd never allow anyone to be on the same level. A lot of people compare Hogan in his prime to Superman and, guess what, Superman got boring. He was boring because he could do no wrong, had no equal, could do literally anything, etc. Exactly like Hulk Hogan.

When I look back at feuds like Hart vs. Austin, Cena vs. Orton, Flair vs. Rhodes, Steamboat vs. Savage, etc. I see a slew of great matches not necessarily due to wrestling skill sometimes but because of the whole presentation. When I compare Hogan/Andre to some of those matches, I shudder because it's beyond bad. Hogan vs. Andre may have drawn at WM III, but Savage and Steamboat were the ones that stole the show and are talked about this day as having one of the best matches ever shown on a wrestling ppv.

Hogan didn't need fancy moves? How about any moves at all. I know that lots are willing to see the money Hogan brought in, the crowds that he drew and forget about the fact that he couldn't wrestle his way out of a wet paper bag and worked some damn poor matches in his day. I would too, but not when someone says he's the greatest of all time. The greatest draw yes and that is important. But it has to be more than just that for a fan, it has to be more than just a company's bottom line.

I don't believe Hogan is necessarily overrated as a performer, however age has caught up with him. The biggest thing right now thats causing everyone to call him over-rated is all the TNA fans think he can make the TNA beat WWE on Monday night's(thats a joke even with the e programming sucking right now).

He doesnt know when to say he's done. He should have been finished long after passing the torch "per say" to the Rock.(which backfired on Vince since he left the E) As far as everyone complains about his moveset, there are very few wrestlers out there that sont have a specific 5 to 6 moves they use in every match. Look at most of the past champions in the E, Most of them have specific moves they use religiously in every match so you really can't hold that against Hogan and say that is why he is over rated. Every star that makes it to the main event spotlight starts using certain moves.

Jack-Hammer said:
Ok, I just did. He's still overrated. Showing some wrestling ability once or twice every decade and a half or so is some sort of measuring stick? Anybody can look good a few times but consistency would have gone a long way. Hogan chose his path, but just don't anyone to drop trou, bend over and take it up the tailpipe just because of a few bright moments scattered over years and years.

Really you have no room to talk because your knowledge on Hogan is very limited. You haven't followed Hogan through his whole career but yet somehow you think you're eligible to judge his true inring ability.:lmao: Go build on your wrestling knowledge, catch up on your videos of Hogan in Japan and then tell me he can't wrestle because Hogan's career in the US isn't the end all and be all of his career. So until you do that your opinion is null and void.

Jack-Hammer said:

Well, disco is in the conversation because there was a period when it ruled. But other genres of music have come or existed beforehand that were probably greater, so no it's not the greatest thing in the history of music. That is not the case with Hogan. No other superstar has had the impact he has had on the business and on pop culture for as long as he has. Until then, we can call him the greatest thing in wrestling.

Jack-Hammer said:
Ring psychology and storytelling...you mean the idea of him "hulking up" after being beaten for much of the match, making the comeback and vanquishing the forces of evil while doing his little hand to the ear gesture before breaking into a posedown for the masses? As far as his arsenal goes, I never said I wanted a huge arsenal. But it would be nice for the biggest star in the business to do more than what anybody could learn to do within a week of training. Forgive me, but Hogan's punch/big boot/leg drop triple play just didn't blow up my skirt.

The fact that Hogan is in the greatest conversation with only a few moves just proves how great he is. There's a saying that goes "Sometimes, it's just the simple things in life that gets you by."

This man's charisma in the ring along with ability to draw and become an American icon, hell a global icon outweighs anything a technical wrestler or a guy with an arsenal of moves could or has brought to the table. All of this is just a testament to how great he was.

Jack-Hammer said:
Yeah, I don't know about that. Flair was someone that could actually wrestle and often did quite well.

How? Because he worked on some body parts in his match and did a submission or 2 and worked long matches? Is that your prerequisite of being "able to wrestle"?:lmao:

Jack-Hammer said:
If you were to take Ric Flair circa 1985 and put him into a ring today, he'd still be able to wrestle a great match. He could still have matches with Kurt Angle, HBK and others that would bring the house down. If you put Hogan at 30 years old in the ring today doing his thing, he'd get even less respect than John Cena does.

Yes, but look at the opponents that Flair faced. Flair faced nothing but great seasoned men throughout his career and as a result he had classic bouts with them. These are guys that were his equal in experience and size. From Windham, Funk, Rhodes, Harley Race, etc. Can you say the same for Hogan who faced large or sometimes inexperienced wrestlers like King Kong Bundy, Andre The Giant, Zeus:banghead:, Ultimate Warrior, Undertaker, and Yokozuna? And with all of that, Hogan was still able to put on bouts with each of these guys that were tolerable to even classic. That takes much more talent imo. Not taking away from Flair but I doubt Flair could do the same if put in the same boat with the same amount of time Hogan was given?

Jack-Hammer said:
If, and I'm saying IF, Hogan could but chose his own limited style, then that's his problem. You can't expect anyone to be blown away by Hogan's ability IF he ultimately chose not to show what he could really do.

That's what you don't seem to get. Hogan's character wasn't meant to blow you away with his ability. His requirement was to draw in the crowd psychologically when he was getting pummeled and to rise to the occasion, leave the winner, and leave the crowd happy. Hogan was booked as a hero facing villains. Why do you think most of his opponents consisted of giants, big men, evil characters, etc? It's the same way as Ric Flair's job was to be the dirtiest player in the game and to get a victory at any cause. The fact that this man captured the hearts and imagination of the globe doing this is something we may never see.

Jack-Hammer said:
Flair would, on occassion, at least job sometimes or win most of the time in ways that made his opponents look like they were credible contenders and threats to him. Between 1984 and 1990, Hogan jobbed cleanly a handful of times that were count outs and only one pinfall and that was to the Ultimate Warrior. Even then, Hogan was still the center of attention in the WWF and made sure that his program would outshine whatever feud the Warrior was in.

Okay. So what? What does this have to do with the topic of Hogan being overrated? WWE always booked him as a constant winner because everyone literally wanted to see him always win and to overcome. Back then was not like today. No one wanted to see him lose so it was smart on WWE's behalf to keep the crowd happy and to keep their biggest moneymaker as champion.

Jack-Hammer said:
Not really. Jordan and Ali were the best in their fields but Hogan wasn't. If Hogan could work as well in the ring as Jordan played on the court and Ali did in the ring, then nobody would even dare to think of Hogan as overrated.

So by your standards, since wrestling ability is everything to you, then I guess it's safe to say that Dean Malenko is the Michael Jordan and Muhammad Ali of wrestling.:lmao:

So, the huge argument by Jack-Hammer is that Hogan is overrated because he didn't spend the majority of his using a variety of wrestling moves? Most of us fans loved Hogan's character and personality, that's what mattered to us most.

I mean, Steve Austin was nothing but kick, punch and stunner during his most popular days. Does that make him overrated? Hell no, far from it.

Hogan's career spanned over 30 years, and he had the talent and ability to remain on top during most of those years. Is he the greatest of all time? Hell no, far from it. But he is one of the all time greats this business has ever seen.

Hogan's offence was as basic as Cena's.

Cena has double the offence of Hogan, plus goes to the top rope, and as someone else says, takes bumps.

It annoys me that you get people say that Cena can't wrestle(when he obviously can) and that he isn't over rated and shouldn't we WWE champ, but those same fans were Hogan fans back in the day, when Hogan has half the move set of Cena.

Stone Cold, The Rock, and Ric Flair all have far more offence than Hogan too, you cannot argue otherwise.

I agree with Jack Hammer than Hogan's move set didn't match up to his character, but that doesn't mean he is over rated. Nobody that I know raves about Hogan being a great technical wrestler, they just call him the biggest draw in wrestling, biggest name in wrestling and that is fact and cannot be denied. I think the term wrestler is taken by some to mean superstar/performer/whatever, and others to mean the person and his wrestling ability.

If someone says that Hogan was so great because he good wrestle a really good match then maybe they are over rating him, but if someone says that Hogan is the greatest ever then I'd agree, although that does not mean he should still be around now, because he isn't a big draw anymore, he lives in a dream world and Bret Hart/WWE are going to walk all over that joke of a wrestling promotion called TNA on Jan 4th, which leads to something else...

Hogan is over selling himself when he talks about TNA becoming a major player and taking on WWE and overtaking them. It just isn't going to happen, you CANNOT take a show that is drawing 1.1 and turn it into a 3.0 show without MAJOR changes, and I mean a complete overhall of the writing, promotion and production of the show and they need some bigger names than what they already have. And Hogan seems to think he can change it all on his own because he is Hulk Hogan, which is a complete oversell. It just isn't going to happen and it's a shame that Hulk has tarnished his legacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back