How Far Can Lucha Underground Go?

ABMorales787

Lord And Master
Staff member
Administrator
For those that don't know, TNA pretty much has Lucha Underground to thank for their deal with Destination America. The potential extra shows and TV specials are actually the initial deal AAA struck with Robert Rodriguez in the creation of Lucha Underground. It's quick success led Destination America to try the same for the already established TNA.

As for LU though, they must first get through the hurdle of season 1. As things stands the AAA branch is only scheduled for 39 episodes. Once that number is up, El Rey will reconsider things and decide if the Lucha Underground is worth expanding past a vanity effort. Among the things in discussion is if it can handle touring like any other company, if TV specials would increase network viewership and interest.

The show is already the network's #1. And Alberto Del Rio is still fresh in the minds of fans to add more interest in the product once his potential January debut comes to pass. Even more if he indeed does also work TNA like he said he would. Lucha Underground's future looks very bright. But is it bright enough to see the second half of 2015?

I have to question if touring is the best option for the vibe LU is going for. Cueto's temple has a gritty vibe to it, much like the rest of the El Rey Network's shows, and it lends itself well to Cueto being this evil owner.

If they are to expand though, I think they will need to bring in some bigger stars if possible. I know who Mundo is, I know who Del Rio is, and because I've watched WWE I know who Big Ryck is, but I'm not too familiar with most of the AAA guys who come in. Prince Puma I was vaguely familiar with, and they are doing a good job of making him a star in the promotion, but if they are to stick around as anything more than a niche promotion I think they will need to do their best to bring in a few name guys to grow beyond a Latin audience.

This is quickly becoming my favorite promotion especially with it being less than an hour away by car. Although I like what they are doing with Mundo and Puma I'm beginning to wonder if it wouldn't haven't been better to leave Puma as Ricochet and bring in a few more guys from AAA with a bigger following.

Del Rio will help till the end of the year, but if everything we're hearing about TNA trying to bring him in happens then it'll be a bit harder to have a prominent and number 1 heel. I also think while Dario Cueto is a hell of a heel, not enough people know him and that's hurting him at the moment.

Also when a company has to lean on Chavo Guerrero Jr. to be a top heel it's not the best thing for them. I do however like the fact that a lot of the talent there is from Mexico and So Cal, being from So Cal myself I've seen alot of these guys grow around here and perform their asses off, and for them to see some much needed T.V time is good. Lastly I love Matt Striker here and Vampiro is a good, albeit not great foil to him. Vampiro is a hell of a guy and a world of knowledge wrestling wise, but his vocal chops have never been his strong suit and I'm wondering if he would be better suited as a manager much like James Mitchell was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back