How bad was 2006 WWE?

AnthonyM4

Getting Noticed By Management
Exploiting Eddie Guerrero's death. Not even the most diehard wwe fans can defend this one!

Putting the world title on Rey Mysterio and making him by far the worst booked champion of all time. I personally didn't like Rey Mysterio winning the Royal Rumble match after entering it at number 1. I didn't think it was realistic because of his size.

Vince McMahon hogging tv time and feuding with and mocking God. Pretty much as bad as anything that was happening in wcw in 2000.

John Cena cutting cheesy promos and becoming the polarizing figure he is today. That may have been 2005. I think this was the year that John Cena started to get hated by smarks and marks alike because of his promos and bad matches. Lately he's been having excellent matches. Not so much back then!

Bringing back ecw and making it NOTHING like the old ecw. As an ecw fan I was really excited that they were bringing back ecw. After the success of the dvd and the one night stand shows how can they mess this up?

Bringing back DX and making them a watered down version of what they were in the attitude era. "Vince loves Cock"? Come on!

Am I missing anything?

December to Dismember to not Remember because it was the worst PPV ever. A card full of pre show talent that wouldn't fill our local 200 seat gymnasium. Rey Mysterio's ring work that never changed throughout his whole career, same with RVD. If you've seen one Mysterio match, you've seen the same exact routine every time. Yet this is the guy who was pushed to the top because of the death of Eddy. Worst Rumble winner to win at Mania and one of the worst champions I've ever seen. I'd rather watch 10 Mahal matches to one crappy, routine Mysterio match.

Did I mention I hate Rey Mysterio yet?

Well December to Dismember goes with what I said about ecw. Yeah that ppv was the worst! Dave Scherer said it best "if you hit your head against the wall, the hospital bill would be less of a waste of money than this show".

Oh I did miss something. The Spirit Squad. The guys that were part of the gimmick were good wrestlers(except Mitch), but that was a horrible gimmick. They were all over tv and headlining ppvs!

It's too bad I didn't live in Kentucky back then. I could have watched Paul Heyman booked OVW. Much better than Vince McMahon booked wwe!

Good point. That's also the year when they completely botched the push of young guys that they had been building the previous year or two.....Carlito and especially Shelton Benjamin stand out. That's also the year Angle left halfway through the year.

Positives? Edge was awesome at that time. That TLC match he had on Raw with Flair? So good. And his wrestlemania match with Foley. And having RVD beat Cena was cool.

Lots of talent on the roster at the time and the product wasn't all that good: Michaels, Benoit, Angle, HHH, Orton, Batista, Cena, Edge, Taker, Flair, RVD, mysterio, JBL, Benjamin, Kane, Big Show, Trish, Lita, Hardy's, CM Punk towards the end of the year, Regal, etc.

First off, I will defend the God angle until my dying breath. I was at the PPV in Lexington KY when Vince and Shane vs. HBK and God happened and they actually had an entrance for God. It was only a spotlight but it happened and it was hilarious. IDK if this played on TV or not but the entire crowd was dying laughing. At the same time, though, it was basically a handicap match for Shawn and as he was beating the ever loving shit out of Vince and Shane we got behind him and when the Spirit Squad came out, we went crazy with boos. It probably did suck on TV, but actually being there it was kind of awesome.

I'll also defend the new version of DX because they might not have been as risque as in the Attitude Era, but they were still very over and very very funny. When Trips and HBK came out dressed as Vince and Shane-Gold. When they messed with mic while Vince was in the ring and he said, "Dammit you people think this is funny" in that really weird voice-Gold. The stuff with 'Taker on Smackdown was very over around this time too.

I don't think that WWE was as bad as you remember it being in '06.

Exploiting Eddie Guerrero's death. Not even the most diehard wwe fans can defend this one!
Except for the fact the Guerrero family seemed okay with it. :shrug:

Putting the world title on Rey Mysterio and making him by far the worst booked champion of all time.
:lmao:

No.

I personally didn't like Rey Mysterio winning the Royal Rumble match after entering it at number 1. I didn't think it was realistic because of his size.
Technically, he entered at #2. Not that it changes your point, but accuracy is important.

Vince McMahon hogging tv time and feuding with and mocking God.
:shrug:

I mean, it was dumb but it's pro wrestling. Far from a bad wrestling angle. Dumb, but fit with pro wrestling.

John Cena cutting cheesy promos and becoming the polarizing figure he is today. That may have been 2005. I think this was the year that John Cena started to get hated by smarks and marks alike because of his promos and bad matches. Lately he's been having excellent matches. Not so much back then!
He started getting hated by the end of 2005, but John Cena was putting on excellent matches and promos in 2006. Anyone who says differently doesn't understand pro wrestling.

Bringing back ecw and making it NOTHING like the old ecw.
Yes, how dare they not revive a company in the exact same image as the one who went bankrupt in less than a decade! They knew how to make so much money! :rolleyes:

Am I missing anything?
Most of the early to mid 90s?
Good point. That's also the year when they completely botched the push of young guys that they had been building the previous year or two.....Carlito and especially Shelton Benjamin stand out.
Nah, they weren't botched, those two just weren't very good. Carlito was dreadful in the ring and Benjamin was often lost in the ring and useless in promos.

That's also the year Angle left halfway through the year.
Yeah, drug/painkiller addiction makes it hard to work a WWE schedule. Angle's health was terrible when he left.
First off, I will defend the God angle until my dying breath. I was at the PPV in Lexington KY when Vince and Shane vs. HBK and God happened and they actually had an entrance for God. It was only a spotlight but it happened and it was hilarious. IDK if this played on TV or not but the entire crowd was dying laughing. At the same time, though, it was basically a handicap match for Shawn and as he was beating the ever loving shit out of Vince and Shane we got behind him and when the Spirit Squad came out, we went crazy with boos. It probably did suck on TV, but actually being there it was kind of awesome.
I was at a Raw in St. Louis when God showed up on Raw, with pyros as Vince tried to storm down to the ring. It was corny, but, like you said, funny.

I don't think that WWE was as bad as you remember it being in '06.
It wasn't. 2006 was a fairly decent year.

No.

Technically, he entered at #2. Not that it changes your point, but accuracy is important.

I mean, it was dumb but it's pro wrestling. Far from a bad wrestling angle. Dumb, but fit with pro wrestling.

He started getting hated by the end of 2005, but John Cena was putting on excellent matches and promos in 2006. Anyone who says differently doesn't understand pro wrestling.

Yes, how dare they not revive a company in the exact same image as the one who went bankrupt in less than a decade! They knew how to make so much money! :rolleyes:

Nah, they weren't botched, those two just weren't very good. Carlito was dreadful in the ring and Benjamin was often lost in the ring and useless in promos.

Yeah, drug/painkiller addiction makes it hard to work a WWE schedule. Angle's health was terrible when he left.
I was at a Raw in St. Louis when God showed up on Raw, with pyros as Vince tried to storm down to the ring. It was corny, but, like you said, funny.

I'm going to disagree with you to an extent on Benjamin. I'll side with you that Carlito wasn't that good in the ring. His character made up for the in ring stuff and he was positioned to be a solid midcarder guy, but he is often way overrated by fans and those who happen to have the name Killjoy.

Benjamin though, I felt he was solid in ring. I'm not going to say there weren't times where he did look lost, I seem to recall multiple MITB matches where his timing and execution of his big spots really threw off the effectiveness of the spot, but if he had a good dance partner leading him he was pretty entertaining in the ring. Sure, he is best remembered for Shawn kicking his head off, but he typically used that athleticism well. Again, like Carlito he lacked the complete package needed to be a true star, but he had his place and I enjoyed it.

I'm going to disagree with you to an extent on Benjamin. I'll side with you that Carlito wasn't that good in the ring. His character made up for the in ring stuff and he was positioned to be a solid midcarder guy, but he is often way overrated by fans and those who happen to have the name Killjoy.
Carlito didn't have a lot of tricks at his disposal. He had a touch of charisma, but nothing to write home about. He definitely was way overrated.

Benjamin though, I felt he was solid in ring. I'm not going to say there weren't times where he did look lost, I seem to recall multiple MITB matches where his timing and execution of his big spots really threw off the effectiveness of the spot, but if he had a good dance partner leading him he was pretty entertaining in the ring. Sure, he is best remembered for Shawn kicking his head off, but he typically used that athleticism well. Again, like Carlito he lacked the complete package needed to be a true star, but he had his place and I enjoyed it.
The thing about a Shelton Benjamin is that he's never going to be a superstar. He had a great look and he could pop a crowd with aerial maneuvers, but after that he didn't have much.

For a guy like that, to be a semi-permanent midcard fixture, he needs to be a good hand. He needs to be a guy who can work with anyone and make them look good. Benjamin wasn't that guy. Kofi Kingston is the kind of guy Benjamin should have aspired to, but he just wasn't that guy. The role Benjamin should play is where he doesn't need a good dance partner, he should be the good dance partner.

I loved watching Benjamin. He was an absolute freak of an athlete and I was as big of a fan as any. But he just wasn't that good, nothing more special than any other run of the mill WWE worker. He was completely replaceable and, ultimately, guys who are completely replaceable get replaced.

No.

Rey was out there getting ass beat every week after winning the title, lol. You think he was booked well? I like Rey but he wasn't a good champion.

Benjamin was lost in the ring? He put on an awful lot of really good matches for someone that was "lost". He was only "dreadful" on promos when they tried to make him $500 dollar shirt Rock after the Mama Benjamin gimmick went away. He was perfectly fine on the mic when he was face. Not good, not bad, just to the point and fine. Regardless, he was OVER until they put him on a losing streak because some redneck backstage agent got mad at him. They screwed him up. He was doing phenomenal as a midcard face in 2004 and early 2005. Could've easily been a strong upper midcard face that could slide into the main event for years, if they didn't intentionally cool him off and then misguidedly turn him heel.

I recall that 2006 was about the year that I had given up on WWE. I can't pinpoint what specifically made me stop watching, but overall I just got tired of the usual product on Smackdown. One thing that did turn me away was Boogeyman. There's nothing wrong with an out of the box character, but once they kept spotlighted the worm-eating aspect of the gimmick, that was enough for me to tune out.

Yes, they can. That's not new in wrestling. And, if the family had no problem with it, why should we? The angles that came out of it gave Vickie a job for a decent period of time, and enabled her to show us, the fans, what she really could do. It also got rid of the ill advised Kerwin White gimmick.

I never knew Eddie, of course, but I don't think he would have preferred a ten bell salute and then be forgotten except for some DVD releases.

Honestly I think 2007 was worse do to the Benoit tragedy, WWE's second steroid scandle, McMahon/Hornswoggle angle, Hornswoggle winning the damn Cruiserweight championship, The Great Khali winning the WHC, Cena's year long title reign (no I dont hate him, but his reign was pretty stale that year IMO), and a some other things but for me 2009 was the worst year based off of mainly one thing, "The Raw special guest host" segments.

Those segments alone were unwatchable and actually made me stop watching wrestling all together for awhile. And people talk about how bad DX was in 06 but they were much worse in 09. At least in 06 they had some funny albeit corny moments like the time they parodied the McMahons and when they took over Raw when they were banned from the arena. Plus at that time it had been such a long time since we seen to both HBK and HHH together in DX and they could only do so much since the WWE was headed to the PG era and they were much older. Also that was sort of the point of DX in 06, they were basically poking fun at themselves about the fact that their not young and hip anymore non the less I felt it worked for what they we're able to work with and at least exposed some younger fans to DX. By 2009 they were just annoying and we're basically just around to promote their merchandise, I couldn't wait to see it end by that time.

And speaking of Hornswoggle he was another small problem (no pun intended) I had with that year. I was fine with him when he was the little bastard under the ring handing Finlay the shelaigle (spelling check) but when he starts beating actual wrestlers on the regular and doing it multiple times like he did with Chavo Guerrero it got dull and very annoying. Also the storyline between Matt and Jeff Hardy was a bit of a letdown IMO aswell, the WWE could have do much better with it, and I wasn't that big of a fan of the Orton/HHH fued. The build up was pretty good but the matches where pretty subpar if you ask me.

Now don't get me wrong 2009 had some good things like the Punk/Jeff Hardy fued but sadly it ended to soon do to Hardy leaving the company and HBK/Taker at Wrestlemaina that year, also Smackdown was pretty good but for me the guest host segments on Raw just overtakes everything that happened that year and seemed like that was one of WWE's primary focuses that year. Some of you may say that outside of Raw the WWE wasn't that bad in 09 and that may be true, in all honesty 07 may have actually been worse (of the 2000's anyway) and maybe even some others, but the guest host segments just left such a bad taste in my mouth that it actually makes me forget about some of the terrible things that happened in the WWE previous to it.

Rey was out there getting ass beat every week after winning the title, lol. You think he was booked well?
As well as he could be...Rey is a 5'3" epitome of the underdog. Hulk Hogan went out and got beat down for the majority of his TV title matches also, are you saying he wasn't booked well too?

Rey was the personification of the underdog. He was 5'3". His schtick was to overcome the odds to win a match. Rey was booked about as well a 5'3" wrestler with mediocre mic skills could be booked in a main-event setting.

I like Rey but he wasn't a good champion.
I don't know that I'd argue that, but I WILL argue against the idea he was "by far the worst booked champion of all time." That is simply untrue.

Benjamin was lost in the ring?
Regularly, yes.

He put on an awful lot of really good matches for someone that was "lost".
And he put on quite a bit of mediocre and forgettable matches when he wasn't working with someone who was super skilled.

Again, I was as huge of fan of Benjamin as anyone, but he just wasn't that good. It's just a fact. :shrug:

He was only "dreadful" on promos when they tried to make him $500 dollar shirt Rock after the Mama Benjamin gimmick went away.
No, he was always dreadful.

He was perfectly fine on the mic when he was face.
All evidence and backstage reports at the time to the contrary.

Another thing I forgot to mention was the diva search. Leyla won in 2006(worst wwe women's champion of all time), but if you ask her she was the diver search winner haha. I remember everyone from the IWC hating on these segments back then so I hope today Slyfox isn't going to defend them(but he probably will). He probably also defends the Invasion angle too.

2006 was a fun year with lots of great things to enjoy. Sabu vs Cena, Foley vs Flair, Cena vs Edge, Edge vs Foley, Bret going into HOF, RVD winning the WWE title... there are certainly way worse years than this.

As well as he could be...Rey is a 5'3" epitome of the underdog. Hulk Hogan went out and got beat down for the majority of his TV title matches also, are you saying he wasn't booked well too?

Rey was the personification of the underdog. He was 5'3". His schtick was to overcome the odds to win a match. Rey was booked about as well a 5'3" wrestler with mediocre mic skills could be booked in a main-event setting.

I don't know that I'd argue that, but I WILL argue against the idea he was "by far the worst booked champion of all time." That is simply untrue.

Regularly, yes.

And he put on quite a bit of mediocre and forgettable matches when he wasn't working with someone who was super skilled.

Again, I was as huge of fan of Benjamin as anyone, but he just wasn't that good. It's just a fact. :shrug:

No, he was always dreadful.

All evidence and backstage reports at the time to the contrary.

1. Rey WASNT winning matches. He got the title and then started getting his ass beat every week. He'd always had competitive matches before that. If you don't remember, that's fine. But don't just say some bullshit.

Stirring arguments on Shelton. "No, he was always dreadful". You can have your opinion, but that's all it is. Shelton was doing fantastic until mid 2005 when they cooled him off on purpose and turned him into a scrub who never won for 6 months. Horrid booking. He was never the same, as far as fan reactions.

I'm kinda torn on 2006 WWE. It was probably the year I watched the least, including one of only two Wrestlemanias since 1998 that I didn't watch either live or at least the next day (the other being WM20 but that's because I was just starting my final semester at uni so the timing was far from ideal) - this year was the year I've had least interest in the 'Mania card (though it turned out well to be fair) and the Rey Mysterio angle was cringeworthy - I never agreed with him winning the world title, and neither did WWE, cutting short the WM triple threat match and then booking others as far more important, a dubious method they still use today with Jinder Mahal and have used with the likes of Jack Swagger and CM Punk since 2006. It makes no sense - if you have no intention of pushing the champion as the best, there is absolutely no point in them being the champion. If the company can't invest in you as champion, then why should the fans?

Other 2006 crimes not yet mentioned largely include the Undertaker, funnily enough, as WWE had bizarrely reverted their booking so that 'Taker was facing the 'monster of the month' again rather than actual wrestlers who can bring out the best in Mean Mark. Part of the reason I didn't like the WM card was the casket match against Mark Henry, a wrestler I've never had interest in whatsoever until his 'hall of pain' renaissance, and when that was over, the freaking Great Khali debuted on Smackdown, beating the Undertaker at the Judgment Day ppv WITH A SINGLE FOOT PINFALL!! I mean, what the actual f**k?? And this then led to the first ever Punjabi Prison match at the Great American Bash, which, whilst WWE were forced to switch Khali with the Big Show for the match, was still bloody terrible, and is one of the worst gimmick matches in history. So when people say Raw had booking issues in 2006, never forget Smackdown had its own issues too.

Of course there were great moments too, Rob Van Dam and "King Bookah" winning their first WWE-promoted world titles, though of course RVD and Sabu would crush this push, and by proxy, ECW, before they'd even really started. 4:20 indeed...

And for me, despite being a fan since 1990 (the first show I watched was Summerslam of that year) I had actually only seen one event live, Insurrexion, a UK/only ppv, in 2001. I finally took myself and my. Either to Raw at Wembley Arena just before Backlash in 2006, and have attended at least one televised event every year since, so in many ways, despite its issues, 2006 is a special year for me.

Doesn't change the fact though that the product was, indeed, rather week

I was going to post my feelings on this but the above poster summed it up brilliantly.

Although Booker T and RVDs pushes were far too late, these should have happened 2 years previous as the pair of them were over, especially booker, who should have beaten hhh at wm to set up a perfect fuel with the Rock when he returned, with rock giving the rub to booker when he made his return

1. Rey WASNT winning matches.
He beat Orton in his very first title match the first Smackdown after Wrestlemania. He defeated JBL at Judgment Day, the first Smackdown PPV after Wrestlemania. He defeated JBL again the first Smackdown after Judgment Day, "retiring" JBL. He defeated Gregory Helms on June 16th Smackdown. He beat Mark Henry on June 23rd (avenging an earlier loss). He defeated William Regal on July 14th. He defeated King Booker on July 21.

So, contrary to your ignorant comment, Rey won numerous matches as champion. His TV record as champion was 7-4 with a few no contests.

So tell me again how Rey "wasn't winning matches"?

If you don't remember, that's fine. But don't just say some bullshit.
And yet, it's you who made the provably false claim that I just proved was "bullshit".

I eagerly await your apology for saying things which weren't true.

Stirring arguments on Shelton.
Thanks.

"No, he was always dreadful". You can have your opinion, but that's all it is.
Except it's not just my opinion, it was also the WWE's opinion. Which is why they released him. :shrug:

But, no, really, Shelton Benjamin was so great...the WWE regularly releases entertaining wrestlers who draw money. :rolleyes:

Do you not ever get tired of being wrong?

He beat Orton in his very first title match the first Smackdown after Wrestlemania. He defeated JBL at Judgment Day, the first Smackdown PPV after Wrestlemania. He defeated JBL again the first Smackdown after Judgment Day, "retiring" JBL. He defeated Gregory Helms on June 16th Smackdown. He beat Mark Henry on June 23rd (avenging an earlier loss). He defeated William Regal on July 14th. He defeated King Booker on July 21.

So, contrary to your ignorant comment, Rey won numerous matches as champion. His TV record as champion was 7-4 with a few no contests.

So tell me again how Rey "wasn't winning matches"?

And yet, it's you who made the provably false claim that I just proved was "bullshit".

I eagerly await your apology for saying things which weren't true.

Thanks.

Except it's not just my opinion, it was also the WWE's opinion. Which is why they released him. :shrug:

But, no, really, Shelton Benjamin was so great...the WWE regularly releases entertaining wrestlers who draw money. :rolleyes:

Do you not ever get tired of being wrong?

Rey came right out and ate pins on TV to Henry and Khali in what were basically squash matches. Oh, but he beat Helms! And that DQ win over Henry really avenged that beatdown squash match! 7-4-2 (with him getting his ass whupped by Kane in one of those NCs) was good? For a champion? Being pinned multiple times on TV in what amounted to squash matches in his first month as champion is good? Rey was booked as a weak champ. Not even up for discussion.

Like I said earlier, Shelton was doing very well until they put him on a sudden losing streak in mid 2005. Then they turned him heel and tried to make him a mama's boy, then $500 shirt Rock or something, then they had him looking like Sisqo. They botched him. He was doing great as a face, and they ruined it.

Shelton's athleticism made him cool and charismatic. He was a natural face because of it. He didn't need to be a comedian on the mic. He could've been in the Mysterio, Steamboat, Benoit mode....a guy who was over as a face because he was good. In fact, that's basically what was happening until they screwed him up.

Do you ever get tired of posting like a hoe?

Rey came right out and ate pins on TV to Henry and Khali in what were basically squash matches. Oh, but he beat Helms! And that DQ win over Henry really avenged that beatdown squash match! 7-4-2 (with him getting his ass whupped by Kane in one of those NCs) was good? For a champion? Being pinned multiple times on TV in what amounted to squash matches in his first month as champion is good booking?
So you're saying you're not going to admit you were wrong? Gosh, I'm shocked. :rolleyes:

How can one have so little integrity to have the blatant falsehood of their statement proven and yet not reply with an apology for not telling the truth? I'll never understand that.

And yes, 7-4 with a few no contests is just fine for a babyface champion, especially one booked as an underdog. You're just being ridiculous or you don't watch the WWE. One or the other is true. Babyface champions lose. They get beatdown on free TV so they can get their revenge later on. It's pro wrestling 101.

Just stop. You made a statement which was clearly false and got called out on it. Admit your mistake and move on.

You don't even know what you're arguing here.
Sure I do and I also know against whom I'm arguing...one whom apparently has no use for the truth.

You just said it was ok that he was losing because he had an "underdog" gimmick.....and now you're trying to emphasize that he was winning?
You're lying again. I never said Rey was losing because he had an underdog gimmick, I said Rey was booked as well as he could be and used Hogan as an example of someone who got beat down during matches as well. I even explicitly said, "His schtick was to overcome the odds to win a match." I never said Rey lost a lot of matches.

Don't start lying again, we both know how that ends. I do not suffer liars.

I await your apology for stating something which was untrue regarding Rey "wasn't winning matches" and your apology for lying about what I said.

Like I said earlier, Shelton was doing very well until they put him on a sudden losing streak in mid 2005. Then they turned him heel and tried to make him a mama's boy, then $500 shirt Rock or something, then they had him looking like Sisqo. They botched him. He was doing great as a face, and they ruined it.
And like I said, the WWE doesn't release wrestlers who are doing well and drawing money. That's a mindset typical of those in the IWC and it's a stupid now as it was when I was reading it ten years ago.

Shelton was not a great in-ring worker and was not good on the mic. He had a great look and great athleticism, but that was about it.

He could've been in the Mysterio, Steamboat, Benoit mode
Except those guys were masters in the ring. Benjamin was no where near their level in terms of skill. Do you really not understand the difference?

Seriously, do you not ever get tired of being wrong?

Slyfox do you ever get tired of being a wwe apologetist? I'm still waiting for you to defend the diva search or as Layla called it- the diver search. The Kat and Debra were better women's champions than her! If you think 2006 was good, what do you consider bad I'm afraid to ask? Also who was booked worse than Rey Mysterio as world champ was in 2006?

So you're saying you're not going to admit you were wrong? Gosh, I'm shocked. :rolleyes:

How can one have so little integrity to have the blatant falsehood of their statement proven and yet not reply with an apology for not telling the truth? I'll never understand that.

And yes, 7-4 with a few no contests is just fine for a babyface champion, especially one booked as an underdog. You're just being ridiculous or you don't watch the WWE. One or the other is true. Babyface champions lose. They get beatdown on free TV so they can get their revenge later on. It's pro wrestling 101.

Just stop. You made a statement which was clearly false and got called out on it. Admit your mistake and move on.

Sure I do and I also know against whom I'm arguing...one whom apparently has no use for the truth.

You're lying again. I never said Rey was losing because he had an underdog gimmick, I said Rey was booked as well as he could be and used Hogan as an example of someone who got beat down during matches as well. I even explicitly said, "His schtick was to overcome the odds to win a match." I never said Rey lost a lot of matches.

Don't start lying again, we both know how that ends. I do not suffer liars.

I await your apology for stating something which was untrue regarding Rey "wasn't winning matches" and your apology for lying about what I said.

And like I said, the WWE doesn't release wrestlers who are doing well and drawing money. That's a mindset typical of those in the IWC and it's a stupid now as it was when I was reading it ten years ago.

Shelton was not a great in-ring worker and was not good on the mic. He had a great look and great athleticism, but that was about it.

Except those guys were masters in the ring. Benjamin was no where near their level in terms of skill. Do you really not understand the difference?

Seriously, do you not ever get tired of being wrong?

A DQ win over Henry was revenge? Where was his revenge on Khali? That's not what was happening at all. JBL was throwing monsters out there to whup Rey's ass every week. But then he couldn't beat Rey. I don't care enough to look it up but I'm almost positive Rey lost multiple times to Finlay back then, one might've been right before Mania. And he wasn't just losing, these were short squash matches to Henry and Khali! You can't admit when you're wrong and get so hung up on trying to win arguments that you lose sight of everything IMO. I went back and edited my last post but you had already started your reply, as I did misread your Rey underdog thing.

He was booked weakly as champion. Much weaker than normal. I'm still awaiting an apology for all of your overbearing hoe-like antics where you took it beyond the posts being discussed. You "don't suffer liars"? More like you don't take your L's like a man.

Shelton was good in the ring. He put on solid matches at minimum throughout his tenure. They released him in what....2010? 2011? We're talking about half a decade later! They botched him in 2005. He was never the same after that. Like I said, he could've been a mainstay upper midcard face. Like he was in 2004 and half of 2005. What was wrong with that? He was popular and performing well.

Slyfox do you ever get tired of being a wwe apologetist? I'm still waiting for you to defend the diva search or as Layla called it- the diver search. The Kat and Debra were better women's champions than her! If you think 2006 was good, what do you consider bad I'm afraid to ask? Also who was booked worse than Rey Mysterio as world champ was in 2006?

LOL. Rey lost multiple squash matches on TV in his first month as champ, and this guy is trying to spin it by pointing out he beat Helms a month later and "avenged" his squash to Henry with a DQ win. Really odd. I can't think of another face champion that lost a 3 minute squash match a few weeks into their reign. I mean......what is there to even argue here?

Not agreeing with you doesn't make somebody a WWE apologist. I also disagree with most of the stuff you mentioned as horrible because, shocker, at the end of the day, all this shit is subjective.

Sure I can. If the ones closest to him like Rey Mysterio, Chavo Guererro and Eddie's immediate family didn't have a problem with it, why should we? We didn't know him personally. If it was something that those close to Eddie felt he would have hated, it would have never happened. This is more the fans finding something to crucify WWE over when, at the end of the day, it wasn't that big of a deal.

Putting the world title on Rey Mysterio and making him by far the worst booked champion of all time. I personally didn't like Rey Mysterio winning the Royal Rumble match after entering it at number 1. I didn't think it was realistic because of his size.

I liked Mysterio as champ. He wasn't booked as a dominant champion because his size made that type of booking completely unrealistic. Booking him strongly would have been a stupid thing to do. Just because a champion is booked weakly, doesn't mean he wasn't a good champion. Mysterio was still insanely over and remained around the main event for years after losing the title. In fact, I'm pretty sure he won two more World titles after his 06 run. If he was as shitty a champion as some people claim he was, he would have dropped down the card after his reign was over like champions that were actually terrible.

Vince McMahon hogging tv time and feuding with and mocking God. Pretty much as bad as anything that was happening in wcw in 2000.

This was nothing but comedy. And since I found it hilarious, I'm inclined to disagree with you about how bad it was. I was entertained, and that's all I really care about when it comes down to it.

Again, subjective. You may have hated Cena, but there were those who loved him. Most of the stuff he was involved in was good television.

Bringing back ecw and making it NOTHING like the old ecw. As an ecw fan I was really excited that they were bringing back ecw. After the success of the dvd and the one night stand shows how can they mess this up?

Maybe you're right about this. I never watched WWECW so it didn't affect my viewing pleasure.

Bringing back DX and making them a watered down version of what they were in the attitude era. "Vince loves Cock"? Come on!

No, this was good stuff. I remember looking forward to seeing DX weekly and people loved the crap they were pulling.

I can think of years when WWE was downright a chore to watch, 2006 wasn't one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back