• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HHH Pushing For Major WWE Developmental Overhaul

Shadowmancer

I am The Last Baron
In what may be the very first clue of post-Vince McMahon World Wrestling Entertainment, HHH is pushing hard behind the scenes for what a key insider described to WrestleZone as "a major overhaul" to the developmental system.

"It's no secret within WWE that HHH feels the developmental system is a joke," our inside source told us this evening, "and the Florida developmental area looks to be a runaway train."

Our source tells us that HHH has pitched directly to Vince McMahon that Jim Ross be utilized in a recruiting capacity, while HHH would oversee more of what Talent Relations Executive John Laurinaitis does on a daily basis in terms of checking up on the system.

Source: Wrestlezone.com

This is probably the thing that the WWE needs most right now. I know people have argued for FCW, it is producing the same sort of Wrestler over adn over again and WWE is to a degree suffering for it. Triple H trying to get Jim Ross as a Recruiter, think about the work that Jim Ross did in who he signed when he was head of Talent Relations years ago. Edge, Christian and many more.

It is also about time someone started to keep an eye on Johnny Ace, he is part of the reason that there is all this green in the ring. Not that having a youth movement is a bad thing.

I think this can only be a great thing. As you said, JR has a knack for picking out talented Wrestlers, If this gets the go ahead, and JR accepts, it could prove to be very interesting.

HHH behind the scenes, seems very focused on making the WWE better all round, He got a shit load of flack for "sleeping with the bosses daughter" Yet lately he has been thowing out ideas, and doing a lot of work behind the scenes.

I feel that having somebody like HHH over seeing the development of all the soon to be new stars is a good thing, He knows the business and with him and JR they should be able to focus on the talents of people and bring it out but also not bring them up until they're ready. It provides less mistakes and will give the wrestlers more confidence.

Triple H has come close to downright openly criticizing the developmental system in the past and he's had legitimate complaints.

The few times I've read stories regarding Triple H's management style makes him sound as if he's a polar opposite from Vince McMahon in many key ways and I think that's a good thing. Based on what I've read, the decisions and choices Triple H makes aren't made from a position of ego or control but as more of just what he thinks needs to be done or improved upon. When the WWE was over in Englad, I recall reading that Trips was in charge of the tv tapings and he told the commentators suggestions or some stuff they needed to tighten up on, etc. in-between matches or during commercials. He wasn't screaming his head off into their headsets as Vince often does.

I'm not saying that Vince doesn't have a good mind for the wrestling business, but the man's a control freak and too often lets' his own ego get in the way. Triple H knows talent when he sees it and utilizing someone like Jim Ross in really any aspect of a wrestling business can only be seen as a smart move in my opinion. It's true that the WWE has sometimes brought talent up from FCW before they were really ready. I think that the WWE has done a good job in covering up those wrestlers' weaknesses for the most part, but it's a dicey situation at best. If Triple H can do away with that, I say more power to him because it's just going to make things all that much easier and smoother in the long run.

This can and if implemented will only be a good thing. The developmental system really is a joke for the most part, if the 4 seasons of NXT are anything to go by then they seem to produce the same wrestler over and over again with the odd exception (see: Wade Barrett and Sheamus). There is one common trait between these guys, they all seem to have no personalities, really baring Wade and Sheamus who that has come up from FCW recently has been confident in front of a crowd, charismatic or has any form of mic skills? Very few would fit any of those categories let alone all three.

Getting JR into a recruiting position can only be good too and to be honest I am quite surprised he isn't already in such a role. He has a great mind for the business and he obviously has an eye for talent considering he has previously brought in the likes of Edge and Christian.

I think HHH being involved with the development of talent would be a great idea. It seems to me that some new talent don't realize what the veterans went through to earn their stripes. I just think having him help out with this would help out the talent to appreciate the opportunity they have and this would end up making WWE a greater product, even though it is huge right now. I believe HHH is a very smart man and this is a good idea for WWE to really think about and take advantage of.

What can one say that hasn't already been stated by the previous posters. I think you all have summed it up very well. Hopefully this will lead to a much needed change on how to bring WWE into a better future.

Am I the only one who doesn't agree with this 100%? Lets start with what I do agree with. JR being involved in ANY capcity can only be a good thing, but calling FCW a joke is dead wrong. I live in Florida and attend FCW live events regularly (I don't get their show on tv since I have comcast instead of brighthouse). FCW puts on entertaining matches and GREAT SHOWS. Plenty of Awesome Wrestlers have come from FCW. Wade Barrett, Sheamus, Jack Swagger, Tyson Kidd ( I know, Dungeon) Alberto Del Rio (Yes i know he's from Mexico) and Trent Barreta(VASTLY UNDERRATED). Seth Rollins aka Tyler Black is down their now as well as Xavier Woods aka Consquences Creed. Alex Riley is another guy who may not be a star yet, but has charisma out tha yin yang.

I guess my point is that FCW isn't broken and doesn't need a MAJOR OVERHAUL. Sure some stuff could be improved, but when someone like Triple H wants to change everything. That scares me.

Hallelujah!!!!

Ever since OVW was dropped and FCW moved in as the developmental territory, we haven't seen an influx of overly talented WWE wrestlers. They've picked up nothing but dogshit. Triple H seems to be on the right page with this whole thing.

Let's face it... the WWE just isn't creating the star power it once had. I don't think it has to do with anything in regards to "characterization." But let's face facts here; rookie WWE wrestlers are absolute SHIT in the ring when they first get onto television. NXT is a prime example of this. These guys were FCW-bred and can't put on a decent match. The only ones who have were Kaval, Daniel Bryan, and A.J... all of whom were seasoned veterans of the independent circuit (outside of FCW). The rest of them learned as they went which is dangerous for their character development. We need these new wrestlers to put on good first impressions, not failures with time to grow, mature, and correct themselves.

Despite many personal opinions that smarks have about Triple H, the guy is one of the greatest professional wrestlers to ever grace the sport. It's no secret that he's a student of the game and his life is pro-wrestling. I highly doubt that anyone would be more qualified to run the talent program than a man who's successfully been involved in every facet of the business to its entirety. He was the first special guest to walk into the initial season of Tough Enough for a reason; those kids needed to know what they were getting into from a man that doesn't take the business lightly, and yet has enough knowledge and sense to point them into a positive direction. He's the right man for the job and I see nothing but positives coming from this.

I think this is only a good thing. While FCW is producing some talented wrestlers, the vast majority do seem to be cutter-cutter copies of each other in ring style, without the unique traits that new wrestlers used to have. They all wrestle the WWE way, which was not always the case. To have veterans like CM Punk, Kaval, Kid Kash and Bryan having to go to FCW to retrain was ridiculous, and downright insulting.

Hopefully any new developments will show young wrestlers how to develop a personailty, both in the ring and on the mic, something that many of these new talents do not seem to have.

I think HHH is damm right here that something needs to change, JR would be a great man to deal with this, he knows his stuff

No surprise, when a person gets a little power they want to change things, put their "mark" on something. It's the way of the world. But seriously, if Triple H wants to change something, how about changing creative teams. As these story-lines get more and more ridiculous, then worry about developmental .

I think what needs to happen is they need to go back to multiple developmental territories, that way you have different trainers that will teach different styles of wrestling.

I always thought it was a mistake to only have FCW.

Ever since OVW was dropped and FCW moved in as the developmental territory, we haven't seen an influx of overly talented WWE wrestlers. They've picked up nothing but dogshit. Triple H seems to be on the right page with this whole thing.

This.

First of all with OVW, WWE has produced some rather big current stars, OVW has produced guys like Randy Orton, Batista, John Cena and Brock Lesnar just to name a few, and that in itself definitely shows what FCW would've had to try and compete with, and they haven't been able to even lace the boots of the talent OVW has managed to dish out.

I would definitely agree with Triple H that FCW either needs a complete overhaul, or they need to find somewhere else to produce their talent. That, as well as the fact that WWE needs to take into consideration how rushed some of their newly debuting talents will be. It's obvious that some of the newcomers over the past years time are rather green in the ring, and could've definitely used a bit of extra time in FCW. But WWE don't give them the extra time, which is a flaw in itself if you ask me.

I'm not exactly sure WHAT exactly WWE can do to fix this problem with the developmental system, but I'd guess that what Triple H had in mind could at least push it in the right direction.

This is absolutly great.

I don't care what anyone says about Triple H, the guy knows the buisness better than almost anyone else out there. Having him as part of the head of the company will yield awesome results in the coming ten years or so. As great as Vince is and all of the things he has done, in this day and age you need to have someone who has lived as a wrestler to run the company (or at least one of those running it). And let's face it, WWE has faltered with some of the new guys they are bringing in. Not to say they are all shit, but half of the guys who have been on NXT (actually all of them with two or three exceptions) all look and act the same. Alot of the guys in FCW are all carbon copies of each other and so are some of the guys on the main roster like Cody Rhodes and Ted Dibiase jr.

Having a youth movement is great, but building stars is about more than just putting new guys in the spot light. Those same stars need to be capable of being stars. The talent needs to be ready when they end up on one of the main shows, not good enough and will get better as time goes on.

I raise my glass to Triple H for this. I trust him as someone to lead WWE into the futur and take it to new heights.

This can be a great thing. Old Trips knows what he's doing, and having a fresh mind coming in running things may be what is needed. Plus having JR going back to recruiting is a good idea. Many great wrestlers ran through him on their way to WWE, and he knows good talent when he sees it.

I think this is a massive movement in the right direction and perhaps the injection that has been needed in WWE for a while. Triple H has been, and obviously still is, a sublime main event perfomer over the years. He is old enough to be appreciative and respective of the 'old school' ways. But he is also young enough to have fresh, innovative ideas. Something which, in my opinion, has been lacking for a few years now. That is not intended in any way shape or form to imply that Vince is past it. But when talent isn't being produced, or to the standard expected, then such a shake up is clearly needed. I think some people, like anybody else in any walk of life, can get stale or too comfortable in their positions. As has been well documented over the years, Triple H is indeed a true student of the game and will improve productivity.

FCW has churned out a number of wrestlers onto the main television broadcasts, however this is clearly out of desperation to find the next star sooner rather than later. With the exception of both Wade Barrett and Sheamus, a lot of what has been produced recently is either a) good on the mic but lacking something in the ring, or b) good in the ring but lacking in mic skills. There has been no one (previously mentioned apart) that has come close to being the desireable 'Next Big Thing'.

Jim Ross was pivotal in bringing in star after star during the attitude era. It's fair to say he knows what he is doing when it comes to the developmental area within the business. He is a passionate and experienced fan of the wrestling world and has a strong knowledgable head on his shoulders when it comes to spotting a star. Triple H is being clever by wanting to put arguably WWF/E's best talent co-ordinator back into that field.

I think another problem is the company relying solely on one developmental territory to produce the next generation of wrestlers. As has already been mentioned, the standard of performer coming off the production line is the same across the board. There is no variety. As Flint suggested, having a handful of developmental territories rather than just the one would be a grand idea. Different styles of trainer will produce a broader range of styles across the board, subsequently making the product less repetative and samey.

drobs85 also hit the nail on the head by saying that the writers need a change too. They should rotate them more, rather than keep them chained to a single brand. Or as I said previously, get rid of those who have gotten too comfortable in their role and are not producing the goods. Bring in younger, fresher writers. Utilise ex-pros from a more recent era than those currently employed from 'back in the day' to help in the creative process.

There's a million and one changes that could be made. Triple H is the man who will make them, or at least be ballsy enough to challenge the current procedures. While I don't look forward to the day Triple H retires from in ring action for good, I think the business having his undivided attention behind the scenes will prove to be a prodigious investment.

I think this can only be a great thing. As you said, JR has a knack for picking out talented Wrestlers, If this gets the go ahead, and JR accepts, it could prove to be very interesting.

HHH behind the scenes, seems very focused on making the WWE better all round, He got a shit load of flack for "sleeping with the bosses daughter" Yet lately he has been thowing out ideas, and doing a lot of work behind the scenes.

I feel that having somebody like HHH over seeing the development of all the soon to be new stars is a good thing, He knows the business and with him and JR they should be able to focus on the talents of people and bring it out but also not bring them up until they're ready. It provides less mistakes and will give the wrestlers more confidence.

I agree with sparky here, I was as bad as anybody about sayin HHH slept his way to the gold, however, the WWE has improved as of late, even with the PG era that gets alot of complaints

Very happy to hear Trips is working on improving the next generation of wrestlers. Kiinda shows that he really cares bout this business.
One thing I'd wish they'd wrp their brains around is having more than one training facility. The territories were the best place for green workers to learn the ropes, but now that's gone. If WWE had more than one facility, say OVW, then you can have an entire seperate team of coaches training these guys. I just think that it would make a lot of sense to do this.
At any rate, this is good news.

This is good. I have seen in so many forums how HHH always wants to bury the new guy!! Guys, WWE has always had only 1 developemental program. First it was OVW, then they moved it to Florida and FCW. They NEVER had 2. Why have more than 1?? Doesn't make sense at all!! If you move guys to OVW and FCW, well wrestlers will get lost in the shuffle, not to mention, WWE's expenses will go up to provide for 2 and not to mention, back when WWE was using OVW, they paid to put thw show on tv.
Did they bring guys up to early?? Some maybe, but then remember most of the guys, were in OVW, before the move to Florida, then they got up to the big dance. Swagger, Barrett, Sheamus, T.J. Wilson are all solid!! Gabriel, has great ring skill, but not to good on the mic. Tarver, don't really like him, and Otunga, needs to go find something else. The only reason he is around is due to his wife!!

...if Triple H wants to change something, how about changing creative teams. As these story-lines get more and more ridiculous, then worry about developmental .

You hit that shit right on the head. Like the old cliche goes: who writes that shit! Don't get me wrong. I love the WWE; it's like sex: even when its bad its good. But it can be a lot better. So Trip, get those writers some drugs or something to spur their creativity. (Just kidding about the drugs, kids. Just say No!)

Actually WWE did have two developmental territorys at one time. OVW and Heartland Wrestling I believe. Anyways, to the people who praise OVW for John Cena, Batista, and Randy Orton; In case you don't remember all of those guys were GREEN AS HELL AND TERRIBLE when they debuted. So it's not uncommon for guys to be "called up" too early. I agree that the style is to generic, but that's what WWE has always done. You have to learn the "WWE Style". How many times have we heard that? They need to start teaching some "advance" moves to the guys in FCW and focus EVEN MORE ON character developoment and charism.

I do want to point out that nearly every "Face" who's not a main eventer in WWE, is the same vanilla carbon copy we've seen over and over again. What sets John Morrison, Kofi Kingston, Evan Bourne, ect from each other? Nothing really. Everyone seems to be better as a heel cause they can be more charismatic.

I don't just blame the bad development system. I would also pin the blame on WWE's writers for how they bring in many on the new talent. One really disgusting act of mismanagement that sticks out for me is Eric Escobar. He was in development for years. They finally bring him up with Vickie Guerrero as his girlfriend. For the course of 3 or 4 weeks he feuds with Matt Hardy. After that, he starts losing and eventually he dumps Vickie and turns face. Why? His heel run wasn't panning out in the month it went on. His face turn didn't pan out either. So he's released. A soap opera told in a matter of 2 months. Clearly WWE had no clue what to do with him when they brought him up. Was he good? No clue. He was let go before he had a chance to show anything. It happens oftenly with others. And they end up lost in the shuffle in no time.

I can't blame Triple H for thinking an overhauling needs to be done. The hit/miss ratio is unbelievable. And the fact that WWE is looking for new big stars doesn't help.

The Miz, Alberto Del Rio, Wade Barrett, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, David Otunga, Husky Harris, Michael McGillicutty, Ted DiBiase, Sheamus, Kofi Kingston, Drew McIntyre, Heath Slater, Ezekiel Jackson, Cody Rhodes, Tyler Reks, etc. All of these guys are either new to WWE programming, or are just now really being elevated. How many of these guys can really get in done in the ring? Who's the next HBK or Bret Hart?

I'm not saying you need to live up to HBK or Bret, but most of these guys are nothing to watch while actually wrestling. Danielson, Ziggler, and Cody Rhodes are the best of that group (again, inside of the ring), but outside of them, who's really good?

Sure, Sheamus, Wade Barrett, The Miz; those guys have solid-to-great characters. But not one of them are anything special while in the ring.

HHH has a point here. I have no more inside knowledge of anything than the rest of you. But these guys are very mediocre. I'm not sure if it's the training, maybe they're being rushed onto television. I don't know, but I'm guessing HHH does. I trust him opinion, and I understand where he's coming from (if the report is accurate).

I'm not going to lay out a bunch of possible solutions because I (like the rest of you) do not have the day-to-day knowledge of how these guys are being trained. But outside of a very select few, these guys do not seem to be as good in the ring as the young guys before them. Just my opinion.

Building new superstars is all about branding and booking

Give new superstars a clear character
- Name and/or nickname
- Heel or face personality
- Move-set (w/ gimmicked signature moves)
- Custom ring attire
- Catchphrases
- Theme music
- Taunts/Gestures

Book them consistently to lend credibility to their character

That’s it.

If you follow FCW on YouTube, you know that they do a pretty good job with the aforementioned. It’s bad branding and bad booking post-FCW that kills the call-ups.

1. NXT

There are too many “tweeners.” They switch from heel to face every week.

The in-ring action is abysmal. The matches are short. The rookies can’t showcase their move-set without making a pro or another rookie look bad. The W-L records are booked unevenly.

The competitions expose and embarrass the rookies. Potential monster heels like Eli Cottonwood and Brodus Clay are made to look ridiculous. Everyone’s credibility is killed.

The Rookie-Pro dynamic sets a standard that the rookies are just not good enough. The Rookie-Pro pairings can make or break a debuting rookie. (e.g. Kaval w/ Lay-Cool)

The commentators mock the rookies mercilessly. They don’t put over their move-sets and they make no attempt to legitimize characters and/or nicknames.

2. RAW/Smackdown

- Tyler Reks booked on Bragging Rights. Disappears to Superstars.
- Alex Riley booked as a lackey. Loses constantly.
- Daniel Bryan wins title, loses non-title matches on regular basis.
- Mason Ryan. Booked as muscle. Hides behind CM Punk.
- Nexus/Corre. Superstars get lost in the shuffle.
- Kaval gets title match. Gets booked into losing streak. Leaves.
- The Usos have strong debut. Relegated to jobber status.
- Dudebusters break up. Croft fired. Barreta to Superstars.
- Gatecrashers break up. Archer fired. Hawkins to Superstars.
- Jackson Andrews debuts. Back to FCW in 3 weeks.
- Darren Young. Jobber Hell.
- Yoshi Tatsu. Fan Favorite. Relegated to Superstars.
- Hart Dynasty broken up. Smith and Kidd go nowhere.

How can WWE complain about not being able to make new superstars in developmental when they hamstring them on NXT and bury them once they make it to the main roster?

So we all read that HHH wanted a developmental over haul so i wanted to know what everyones opinion was on this? i think when vince leaves and HHH takes over and he "suposedly" appoints JR the developmental scout that people down in FCW or wherever they are coming from are going to have to step up and make an impression and that HHH and Jr arent just going to let jobbers run over all the business. I mean JR signed jack swagger(whos somehow went from world champ to wrestling trent barretta on superstars) and the hardys(who have fallen into oblivion but were good at the time) so he has some sense of knowing whose good and whose bad so WZ community what do you think will happen when HHH takes over and puts his developmental over haul into effect?

p.s. credit to Jayson for helping me co-create this thread :)

Just to add on a little to what you just said, but Jim Ross has more than "some" sense about who is good and who is bad. Aside from the talents you mentioned, he was also responsible for hiring Steve Austin, The Rock, John Cena, Randy Orton, Batista, Shelton Benjamin, Lita, and Trish Stratus, among many, many others. I believe Brock Lesnar is on that list, too, but I can't confirm that. If he is given full reign, which I seriously doubt he would accept at this stage of his life, you would not see the cookie-cutter muscle heads you're seeing now. I have no idea what HHH would do if he was in control, but hiring Jim Ross in ANY position related to talent scouting and/or development would be a great first step.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back