• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Henry Surtees, 8 February 1991 – 19 July 2009

The Rob

Telling me I'm invincible..
Henry Surtees, son of 1964 Formula 1 world champion John Surtees, has died after a crash at Brands Hatch during a Formula 2 race after being struck on the head by a wheel and tyre from the car of Jack Clarke, who had spun into a wall.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77088

He was only 18 years of age and a prospect in the world of motor-racing.

R.I.P Henry...

I have no idea who he is, or who is father is, because I have no interest at all in racing or Formula 1 or 2 or whatever, but this is a god damn shame for someone to die so young. That's heartbreaking.

I know 18 is technically considered an adult, but I really don't think anyone that young should be taking part in a dangerous sport like racing. That's asking for trouble IMO.

[youtube]aTDiYS1NVW4[/youtube]

This video contains the footage of the crash that would later kill him. He was knocked out at first then stabilised before being taken to hospital. He died in hospital.

Absolutely tragic! My thoughts go out to his father John and the whole Surtees family.

I know 18 is technically considered an adult, but I really don't think anyone that young should be taking part in a dangerous sport like racing. That's asking for trouble IMO.

Children as young as four take part in open-wheel racing. I watched a 15 year old German boy in a 125cc Moto GP race this morning. You have to start young and take the risks needed to rise the top of the sport, thats the way it's been for decades. He was young, talented and had an awesome future ahead of him. 18 years old and in Formula 2... that's some going. I reckon he would of been in GP2 by 2011 (the single seater series below Formula 1).

It's a terrible thing and my thoughts are with his friends and family at this time.

It is a huge loss to motor racing. At a time when motorsport is at it's safest it is awful news to hear of a death during racing.

As for the age debate, they are allowed in formula cars at the age of 16 I believe. Starting this young is imperative for them to become at one with the car so they have time to join formula one and race successfully before their reactions wane.

If they weren't allowed to race until, say, 21 it would take years for them to become Formula One drivers and then there wouldn't be many years left for them to race at their peak.

This event, though terrible, is a rare occurence these days. It is very much a safe sport nowadays which makes this such big news.

R.I.P Henry

[youtube]laU_ADSfzUo[/youtube]

It's not much, but this is a tribute I made for Henry last night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back