Heel vs Face Champions

Downward Spiral

I'm Not From Your Country
How many of you here saw that before about a month or 2 ago, there was only 1 face champion(s) in the WWE (Paul London & Brian Kendrick)? What I'm asking is what type of champion is more enjoyable to watch and do you think that the heel champion is taking a dominance over face ones?

I honestly dont mind either.. They both intrest me.. A face champion is always willing to defend the title in whatever kind of match at all times.. But when theres a heel champion.. We always see gimmick matches and they always have long reigns.. Being a heel champion tho, the storylines always seem like there in your favor.. But from watching wrestling.. I enjoy both.. Tho sometimes a face champ gets very boring.

I'd think I'd go for heels, because, as PauLwall said, face champions (e.g. John Cena) can become tiring and tedious. At the moment the championship holders look like this:

Cruiserweight: Gregory Helms, Heel
Intercontinental: Jeff Hardy, Face
United States: Chris Benoit, Face
Womens: Undecided, though my tip is Lita, Heel
WWE Tag Champs: Brian Kendrick + Paul London, Faces
World Tag Champs: Spirit Squad, Heels
WWE: John Cena, Face
WHC: King Booker, Heel
ECW: Show, Heel

Heels = 4/5 Face = 4/5

So it is now even. However strong indications point to more face champions. Batista will eventually win the WHC from King Booker. RVD will become the ECW champion, Crime Tyme/Ric Flair + Legend will be World Tag Champs and Matt Hardy will become the Cruiserweight Champion.

Then it would read:

Heels = 1/2 Face = 7/8

No this may not happen all at once, but it could. WWE is certainly leading towards a majority of champions being faces. 7 or 8 faces 3 shows! Boring. Heel Champions are fun to watch, and infuriate you (or me anyway) by cheating to win. Sure, kids love Cena and Batista and Matt Hardy, but some of us understand the heel/face pattern, and don't. No offence to any of the aforementions fans, but I just don't think that that many faces is a good idea.

Though I certainly like heel champs much more (I have an inclination to cheer heels and boo faces most of the time), all the little kids and women (a significant portion of the audience) obviously don't understand why the bad guys have to be champ.

One thing that I dislike is that the WWE likes to make constant cheaters out of thier heel champs. I think everyone gets the point when it comes to identifying heels and faces. It is unnecessary to reinforce something that we all already know...

I think it depends on how you book a champion, for instance its more interesting/enjoyable to see a face chase a heel champion then vice-versa, at the same time a face champion works when you say, have a heel gm who wants nothing more than to take the title from you so sends challenger after challenger. Personally, I don't actually mind a heel champ over a face champ, the only problem I have is when there is an overload of either faces or heels as champions, cuz then to me it seems like the stories are repititive on the same show(for instance, having nitro and edge as champ, they are pretty well the same mold of wrestler, except that edge is 100x better talker and 10x better a wrestler). So I think that if your main champ is a heel, then the secondary title should be a face. Brand to brand it doesn't matter if both champs are heel or face, and quite frankly I don't care at all about the other titles(i hate the tag team division, always have, always will) so they don't matter to me.

If a heel person can talk trahs to good effect, as the rock did, or at least interact well (Backlash 2006 build up in trash talking was good) then its fine. The problem thats happening more and more is that the Heels arent being creative enough. DQ or count out or cheat. Booker T would be a better wrestler if he mixed it up a bit. Though cena as a face was alright at first, it became unanimously decided that he was boring. If he actually lost a bit more it might work.

Heel champions are definetly better. Watching every title defense just hoping that he'll drop the belt brings you right back to that feeling of watching wrestling as a kid. The fans want to see their favourite wrestler go after the heel champion, it's just more fun to watch. I agree with the last poster though, that I hate when the writer's feel the heel always has to cheat to defend his title. It just causes the champ to lose credibility. I don't think I can remember Booker ever cleanly defending his championship.

i generally love both. i think i prefer WWE champions as heels unless its like taker or kane or flair or someone, or maybe even triple h. and i prefer world heavyweight champions to be faces, because one day its going to come down to a champion vs champion match and it better be a heel vs face match. what id really like to see in the long run at like vengeance or rumble or something is WWE champion EDGE vs WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION Randy Orton and edge being heel and orton being face, though it probably wont happen, it would still be pretty good to see. and by the way, i also enjoyed it when triple h turned heel, hes amazing like that, but hes better off face for DX, i didnt like it when they were heels as dx when they first started off.

I like heel champs better. However, I hate how WWE rarely lets them win straight up, you know? It would really fustrate me if I was a wrestler, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back