• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Heavy Metal

Do you like heavy metal?

• Yes

• No

• It's OK

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tim

It seems to me that the majority of people don't like Heavy metal/death metal etc. and other kinds of metal. My question is why?

I like some heavy metal, such as Bullet for my Valentine. They have made some good songs, like Waking The Demon, that have a good beat and a good tune. Everyone just thinks that death metal means screaming the whole time and heavily distorted guitar. but thats not always the case.

So do you like heavy metal and other kinds of metal? And why do you think it seems like most people hate it?

Well as I pointed out in other music threads, I'm definitely a metal head. But I'm generally more into the "softer" and even "cheesy" variations; Euro style power metal... Edguy/Avantasia, Hammerfall, Helloween, Rhapsody, Kamelot... that kind of stuff.

I mean, occasionally a few death or black metal tracks are ok, by a select few bands... but there's also a lot of crap out there in that genre in my opinion. Of course, all metal musicians are really good instrumentalists - but when it comes to growling/shouting/screaming all of the time, that's just not really "music" anymore to me. A big old-fashioned maybe but heh, that's me ;)

Reactions: Tim
I much prefer the classic rock genre to metal, but, my brother plays in a local metal band, so I can at least tolerate heavy metal now. But, overall, I think a band like Metallica is about as heavy as I can go.

i listen to a lot of variations of metal. I started with Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park and Papa Roach, and then moved on to Korn, Slipknot and Metallica, and then Fear Factory, Spineshank, Static X, Cradle of Filth, and Judas Priest, Savatage, In Flames, Opeth, Emperor, and then the NWOAHM (new wave of american heavy metal) and didn't really appreciate it because that did all sound the same to me. Only bands like Chimera and Lamb of God stood out to me, and that's really when i listened to the Euro bands like Opeth and Arch Enemy.

Metalcore tho is fuckin atrocious. Bands like Job For A Cowboy, and All Shall Perish and Skinless are fucking terrible imo and i can't stand them. There's like one band who've just appeared called Austrian Death Machine (who are someone else's sideproject) and they're only album is called 'Total Brutal' and every song is based on an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie, with titles including 'If It Bleeds We Can Kill It' and 'Screw You (Benny)' and 'Get To The Choppa!' It's funny and great at the same time.

Another problemis that all the bands i used to like are progressively getting worse instead of better. In Flames haven't done a good album since Reroute to Remain, Korn, Linkin Park and Slipknot are drifting further and further from being metal bands at all, then there's bands like Dragonforce, Down and Soulfly who just re-do the same thing over and over again, although the worst culprits of that are Static X. Listen to 'Machine' and then listen to 'Cannibal' and you'll soon realise that they've just put new lyrics over the same riffs. Judas Priests new album 'Nosferatu' which they spent ages writing 20 odd songs for was diabolical. And then there's the abnds who just try too hard to be Metallica like Machine Head. Their last album (i forget what it's called), every track was like 10 minutes and they could have each been half that long. I kept finding myself thinking 'is this still the same track?'

There are however some bands that are getting better and are still rocking. Death Magnetic is the album of the year. Dave Mustaine is carrying Megadeth on his own now and they're getting a lot better than they were back when Risk came out, Papa Roach have gotten better, Arch Enemy and Opeth continue to give the same level of excellence as they always do, and as much as i don't want to say it, Trivium are getting better as well, i actually really enjoyed 'The Crusade.'

There are a lot of metal bands that sound the same...... and those are the shit ones. Anyone who throws that line at you, you can say the exact same thing right back. Pop music is all about sex and looking beautiful or getting dumped, and you know that the artist wrote the lyrics and nothing else, it's the same with RnB except they talk about the same things in more graphic detail or shamelessly promote themselves.
I take comfort in knowing the guys and girls i listen to actually write their music.

In answer to the initial question, yes, I do like heavy metal, it's one of the rock genres I listen to.

While not my faveourite rock genre, I still listen to a few bands in it. I do really like Bullet For My Valentine as Tim said. I love their video for Tears Don't Fall.

The heaviest I go would be Cradle Of Filth though.

I think most people hate it because people are so used to listening on the radio and listening to much more softer, mainstream things that they aren't used to the more heavier stuff and when they do listen to it, it's not what they are used to and just end up calling it "noise" which is the problem I had with my sisters. They would always call my choice in music "silly noise and you can't understand them" because they are always listening to the radio and they arn't used to it. So I think the less you are exposed to it, the less chance you will enjoy it when you are exposed to it.

Metal, the lifesblood of so many people. I listen to it and love it. I think I can listen to a metal song for every year since 1969, so taking that into account you have so much to listen to. I generally go so far across sub genres that it is funny, Ill go from Slipknot to Korpiklaani to Pantera to Kamelot to Leaves' Eyes to Metallica to Bullet for my Valentine to Black Sabbath to Death to Avenged Sevenfold to Led Zeppelin to Mastodon to Iron Maiden. In that stream (all of which I do have) There is Nu-metal, Troll/folk Metal, groove, Progressive, Goth, straight up Heavy Metal, welsh whinging metal, Classic Matal, Death Metal, Metalcorish, classic heavy rock, sludge/progressive and just total Bombastic Metal.

For Me, I listen to metal whenever I can, it is just the right music for the right time, I study better listening to it.

I am and forever will be a metal head.

My metal of choice is death metal, and within death metal I listen to a lot of Melodeath, Progressive death, and brutal death metal. Bands like Arch Enemy, Amon Amarth, Dimmu Borgir, Nocturnus, Death, Archeon, Aurora Borealis, Nile, Behemoth, Cannibal Corpse are among some of my favorite out of this genre

I also enjoy Black metal, going all the way back to early first wave material with Venom, Hellhammer, and Celtic Frost. I also enjoy many second wave Black metal metal bands such as Bathory, Immortal, Emperor, Marduk, Astarte, Darkthrone, and Gorgoroth among others

There are a few Thrash metal bands that I enjoy as well, many of them being underground, and unappreciated. Bands like Kreator, Sodom, Exodus, Incubus (not the alternative band), and Unleashed are stuff that I frequent. I also listen to the more mainstream stuff like Slayer, old Metallica, Megadeth etc

I enjoy folk metal and power metal, with Moonsorrow, Ensiferum, Fintroll, Kamelot, Pyramaze, and Iced Earth being some examples

basically I like, and listen to, a wide variety of stuff within metal

Used to hate it, still hate the most bands, especialy death metal but occasionaly i find a one in a million good metal song that has a nice sound to it.

I like some metal. I used to like it a lot more, but I'm starting to get into softer stuff now. I never have really like old metal bands, I know I am going to get killed, and probably red repped, for this, but I can't stand Metallica. I just can't get into them, and I've tried. Most of the opther bands in this thread I don't particularly care for. I don't really consider Bullet For My Valentine, to me their cookie cutter alternative.

I have very few metal bands on my iPod. I guess since I have so few I'll list them and give reasons for liking.

1) Between the Buried and Me - If you don't have their CD, Colors, go buy it now. It's phenomonal. They have some of the heaviest stuff I have heard along with some of the softest stuff I have heard, usually in one song. Somehow they make it flow. Its like an hour long orgasm in my ears.

2) Chasing Victory- I really wouldn't consider this metal at all. It is more hardcore then anything. Their song "The Night Your Guardian Fell Asleep" has the best breakdown any band could ever write, and I'm not xxagerating.

3) Comeback Kid-Again, more hardcore, but since its heavy I included it. They are an old-school hardcore band with great messages and tons of gang vocals. What more could you want?

4) A Day To Remember- They are the world's haeviest pop-punk band. They can incorporate catchy hooks along with brutal breakdowns into one song. When it gets heavy, it gets really heavy.

5) Enter Shakari- Would this band be metal? I'm not sure. Is this band awesome? Yes.

6)Maylene and the Sons of Disaster- They incorporate metal with southern rock breakdowns. They have Underoath's old vocalist doing their vocals.

7) Underoath- Their newest Cd isn't that good IMO, but everything from Define the Great Line and before is pure gold. They have positive meassages and great music.

Wow, I had more heavy music on my iPod than I thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back