Has Virginia Tech slowly been taking over The National PowerHouse from Miami?

TNA cross the line

Pre-Show Stalwart
OK im going to go ahead and tell you guys that i am from VA and I am a Virginia Tech homer so keep that in mind while reading because i may just be biased on the subject.

Over the past 15-16 years we have seen The University of Miami slowly dwindle from a national powerhouse to just one of the teams in the mediocre ACC. Whilst Virginia Tech has rose to prominece and imo is a National Powerhouse with 7 straight 10+wins season's and 4 ACC championships. Even though we are 1-26 against top 5 teams. :banghead::wtf: The funny thing is the one win was against #2 Miami in 2003.

On December 20, 1995 the NCAA announced that Miami would be subject to severe sanctions for numerous infractions within the athletic department. Among the sanctions was a one-year ban from postseason participation and a scholarship reduction of 31 over a three year period beginning in 1996.
Meanwhile in Blacksburg Frank Beamer is putting in place key components for a national powerhouse in the making which started after 1993 VT's last losing season. I think Miami's NCAA troubles in the mid 1990s helped VT's rise in College football.

Since 1996 The Virginia Tech vs Miami series is 10-5 in favor of VT. Since 1995 VT has had 7 Conference titles, Miami has only had four in the same time frame. I just think the swagger, the it factor, and the mojo that used to be THE U... Has been taken by The Fighting Gobblers of Virginia Tech.

And now with the latest NCAA investigation do you guys think VT has passed Miami completely and now The U will never catch back up? Do u guys think VT would have risen without any penalties against The U? Or would have VT never have stood a chance had Miami never been hit with sanctions in 1996?

Please Discuss...

HOKIE HOKIE HOKIE HI TECH TECH VPI!

It'll take some time for the U to get back to its late 80s-early 90's days, for sure. Randy Shannon was thought as the answer to their problems and brought in some nice talents, but after their 9 win season they regressed and now they're going through another coaching changed. I'm a little surprised by their hiring, though. Al Golden may be a good coach (he was good at Temple but guys that succeed at little schools don't always do the same at big ones) but I have to think that the U could've gotten someone with a higher profile to try and bring them back to prominence. While during their peak none of the guys they hired had much success beforehand, aside from maybe Jimmie Johnson who had a few up and down years at Miami, this team hasn't won 10 games since 2003, 7 years ago. Who they could've hired at HC I'm not sure, but Golden will definitely have his work cut out for him with the ongoing scandal.

As for VT taking them over as a power? Nah. VT is one of those teams that is in the really really good territory, but just hasn't made the leap to great. They have been a consistent top 15 team, but they can never beat that SEC team that they have to to be taken as a legit contender (such as LSU a few years ago or Auburn even before that). And then they'll lose a game where they clearly have more talent (ECU and James Madison come to mind) but just are sleeping at the wheel.

So, until they make another national title appearance (which they haven't done since the Vick era) or even start beating some top tier SEC teams, I just can't have them in the same breath as teams like Bama, Florida, USC, Texas, Oklahoma, and such.

I could build an entire team from The U, a high quality team to be more specific. I'd have to use Google and Madden to look up who has come from VT. So no VT isnt taking over being a national powerhouse. Besides Miami has the most recent BCS title game appearance between the two schools

I could build an entire team from The U, a high quality team to be more specific. I'd have to use Google and Madden to look up who has come from VT. So no VT isnt taking over being a national powerhouse. Besides Miami has the most recent BCS title game appearance between the two schools

Wow u are almost completely off topic and really didn't backup your claim that Virginia Tech isn't a national power house. Come back with some good facts next time to back up your arguments buddy or just don't post at all. Your probably just a disgruntled Miami fan who hates the fact that The U has cheated since it been in the ACC and still hasn't won squat also that Virginia Tech has dominated the rivalry the past 15 seasons. And as Cowboy James Storm would say... Sorry About Your Damn Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back