Hart/Hennig, Summerslam '91: Best Worked Match of All-Time

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
I just watched this classic bout for the IC title again last night, and I'm honestly convinced that I've never seen a better worked match between two men, who at the time, were the absolute best wrestlers in the business at the time.

Everything about this match, including the build up with the pre-match promo-for-promo exchange to the yanked-by-the-hair ring tossing to Hart tearing Hennig's singlet when Curt started to walk away from the match just built the psychology in the match up to a total crescendo, with Hart obviously winning the match to become the new IC champion in an iconic moment in wrestling history.

Go back and watch it again. Really watch. Tell me I'm wrong here (believe me, I'd love to be). Tell me this isn't at the very least one of the best worked matches of all-time...

I miss talent like this. I really do. It really angers me watching incredible bouts like this, only to turn on the TV and have to see what passes for performance these days.

This was an awesome match. "Best" is always subjective, but these guys are definitely pure athletes and are great storytellers. It was a little disappointing at the quick bell call by Earl Hebner, but that's not the wrestlers faults.

I think in Bret's book he said something of them working all the time together at house shows and always having the match of the night.

Hebner's "quick" call is probably the only real "negative" you can point to in this entire match though. To me, that's not enough to negate the power of the story they told. It's not nearly enough to negate the power of the psychology that built to that crescendo of Hart winning. Not even close.

A slightly drawn out finish where Hennig held on just a bit longer almost certainly would have heightened the finish, but I don't consider the quick call all that dusty as it is, so to me, it's an acceptable "negative" that doesn't actually take away from the match itself.

That was no doubt in the Top 5 of all-time but my favorite was Flair/Steamboat @ Chi-Town Rumble. I thought their match was even better than Savage/Steamboat @ WM 3

I wish Curt Hennig had gotten a run with the WWF Title. He was miles beyond so many wrestlers and truly one of the all time greats. Its too bad he blew his last shot in WWE (and eventually his life) due to his drug problems. Although in fairness, you would never know Mr. Perfect had a problem by looking at him. He was...well...perfect.

I agree with this 100 percent. It is a shame the two of them never got to wrestle each other for the WWF title. Those two in the main event at mania would have been something special. I remember watching this match as an 11 year old kid and thinking what a great wrestling match this was. Even then I knew I was seeing something special. It was as perfect a match as you could get and it holds up even now as I think one of the best ever. Hebners early bell did nothing to take away from the match for me. It was plain and simple two of the best ever going at it in their prime.

Thank you OP for posting this. This probably is one of my all time favorite matchups! This is arguably one of the top five IC matches of all time! Depends on your rankings i guess. This match told an incredible story in the ring. Holy fuck i miss talent like this i really do makes me sad that there is really no one who could go like that and tell a story like those two did in 1991.

This again probably one of the greatest if not the greatest in ring matchup of all time! It is a shame that these two never wrestled for the WWF title. Can you imagine an iron man match between these two both fully healthy in their prime? As far as Hebners quick call it doesnt bother me at all! Doesnt put a dent in that incredible matchup that these two icons told!

Im gonna go watch it again just to remember. All of us who watched or witnessed this matchup are spoiled. It angers me a little that there is no talent like that anymore.

Yeah i don't know about "best" it was a great match and clearly the best match of that PPV.

BUT Curt had a broken Tailbone and Bulged discs in his spine leading upto that PPV which is probably the reason why Bret Hart went over him he still put on a hell of a performance and the two of them individually were great but put them together and you have magic.

Had he not been injured i think we would've seen a longer match or a few more rematches and certainly Curt's fulltime career wouldn't have been over at that point. I too would've loved to see a Iron Man match which woulda been on par with Bret Hart vs HBK WrestleMania 12 performance

as for best "worked matches" Austin vs Bret Hart (WrestleMania 13), HBK vs Taker (either), Taker vs Triple H (any of), HBK vs Jericho (WrestleMania 19), Eddie Guerrero vs Brock Lesnar (WHC), Rock vs Austin (several matches) these were matches that told a hell of a story and were kick ass to boot.

It'sDamnReal: I always find the arguments you post to pretty much correspond with mine. Henning vs Hart at Summerslam91 is definitely one of the best pure matches ever. But 'best' ever is subjective and is often decided upon arbitrarily. I can objectively see that a match like Hitman vs Henning at Summerslam was one of the most technically sound matches ever. But, for me, I'll always subjectively prefer a match with a little less technical wrestling between heavyweights (like a Randy Savage) than I do a match between midcarders or lesser top tier guys. Not always, but definitely if the storyline is better and something big is on the line. I prefer many Hogan matchups (especially the WCW ones between 1996 and 1998) over better wrestled matches featuring guys like a Chris Benoit or Dean Malenko, who were not that high up on the card. The thing for me is the intensity of the crowd, the main event hype, that epic feel. So even though I can appreciate Henning vs Hitman as one of the best technical matches of all time, I still don't prefer it over a less technical matchup between heavyweights such as Warrior vs Savage at WM7. I actually prefer Hitman's match with the Bulldog the following Summerslam (although when I was 11 I much preferred the pomp and circumstance and main event feel of the Savage/Warrior rematch).

So, for me, you have to also factor in crowd intensity, epic feel and storytelling. The best overall matches aren't just the greatest technical ones. For me, they are the ones with extremely over heavyweights like a Hogan, Flair, Savage, Taker, Michaels, Austin in amazing storylines. They are matches that have that big time feel, that are talked about for ages, featuring epic moments that helped draw huge money and appeared on a big mainstream stage. That's why so many fans believe the Steamboat/Savage match at WM3 was the best although there have been many just as good or even better technical matches since. WM3 had the biggest live audience ever, the year long feud culminated perfectly and the mat wrestling between such big names was above and beyond anything seen on such a grand stage in WWE history. The match was so far ahead of its time, it'd be like if Rey Mysterio and Sin Cara jumped into a time machine and ended up on the Wrestlemania 7 card wrestling a 25 minute epic.

I agree with the OP's last comment about what passes for performance these days. Today you have so many matches where wrestlers routinely kick out of the most vicious moves ever and they do it over and over again. You have finishers being kicked out of way too often on pay per views and wrestlers with endless stamina wrestling a match for at least 10 minutes at lightning speed. Nobody ever seems to wear down like a Flair or Savage used to. Back when wrestling had that real feel, you'd see wrestlers wear down their opponent with much less finesse. You'd see submission tactics, you'd see out of the ring craziness, you'd see something closer to old school mat wrestling. You'd see a really well worked buildup, bursts of energy and a great finish. Now everything's made for TV and the matches are way too over the top.

It was a little disappointing at the quick bell call by Earl Hebner, but that's not the wrestlers faults.

When I saw the title of this post, I immediately thought that something about this match always bothered me, in a regretful way. I thought it might be something silly like Perfect's weird haircut or the Coach's whistle/presence. But, that wasn't it--it was the quick bell. It really took away from the ending for me. The crowd was going nuts and the suspense of whether or not Curt was going to tap really could have had them hotter for the eventual bell signal. It's weird for a three second difference to ruin a classic match for me...but it kind of did. Hell, I'll commit--it did. It ruined it because it still bugs me whenever I see a replay.

Another "son of a bitch, that ruined it" moment was Heenan audibly speculating whether or not Hogan was the third man. GREAT moments with just a little something to ruin them. Hmmmm post idea...

Hebner's "quick" call is probably the only real "negative" you can point to in this entire match though. To me, that's not enough to negate the power of the story they told. It's not nearly enough to negate the power of the psychology that built to that crescendo of Hart winning. Not even close.

A slightly drawn out finish where Hennig held on just a bit longer almost certainly would have heightened the finish, but I don't consider the quick call all that dusty as it is, so to me, it's an acceptable "negative" that doesn't actually take away from the match itself.

well as i said Perfect shouldn't have wrestled at all but he did a major gut check and went out there to pass the torch instead of fans getting screwed out of a match and Bret just being handed the title, to summarise Perfecct at that taping went in with bulged discs in his back and a broken pelvis, yet they still went for 20mins.

it was a classic yes, but not the best match ever. Hennig worked the match with a very poor back, was in immense agony and did well to complete the match as well as he did. Imagine how much better it would have been if Hennig could go at even 3/4 pace????

Hebner's early signal was off, but this was to allieviate Hart having the Sharpshooter on for as less a time as possible, but Hart actually kept it on a few solid seconds after the bell was well and truly rung. Regardless, this match was a cracker yes, no fan could say it want, but to say it was the best worked match ever is a Huge call and is opinion only.

it was a classic yes, but not the best match ever. Hennig worked the match with a very poor back, was in immense agony and did well to complete the match as well as he did. Imagine how much better it would have been if Hennig could go at even 3/4 pace????

Well ,the two had many other matches prior to that one, check them out. They also had some great matches in 1993 and some decent little bouts in 1998.

One of my favourite matches ever. It was what really made Bret Hart a star. It was almost as good as 1 year later when Bret had the IC title match with Bulldog. Credit to Curt Hennig - he was working injured and he did so well in turning up and performing the way he did. One of my top five of all time matches.

Well ,the two had many other matches prior to that one, check them out. They also had some great matches in 1993 and some decent little bouts in 1998.

well aware of their many other matches, with KOTR 1993 the only televised one of their great matches. The topic is clearly stating whether this Summerslam match is the greatest, I felt it was not due to the reasons given. Their WCW matches were ok, nothing on their WWE matches that I have seen.

Best worked match? No. One of the best? Yes. I think Hart/Davey a year later blows it away. Ill even take Hart/Piper over SumSla 91. That being said, its certainly a classic, 2 of the 3 best wrestlers in the world at the time going at it. It really set the stage for Brets career.

People have their own opinions about guys like Bret Hart, but one thing is for certain - he always gives credit for his own successes where it is due. He had tremendous respect for Curt Hennig, and is still extremely grateful to the man for giving him (arguably) the best match of his career up to that point. For Mr. Perfect to go out there in obvious pain, and suck it up to give Bret and the fans an amazing match speaks volumes for the kind of professional he really was. To this day I don't know why Vince McMahon let the prestige of the Intercontinental title erode to near oblivion as it has over the years. Looking back at that era, there was so much to gain by winning the title, as it would usually lead to a push toward a run at the heavyweight title. This match at the '91 Summerslam event is proof positive of that. Bret went on to have an incredible run for years to come off that win.

People have their own opinions about guys like Bret Hart, but one thing is for certain - he always gives credit for his own successes where it is due. He had tremendous respect for Curt Hennig, and is still extremely grateful to the man for giving him (arguably) the best match of his career up to that point. For Mr. Perfect to go out there in obvious pain, and suck it up to give Bret and the fans an amazing match speaks volumes for the kind of professional he really was. To this day I don't know why Vince McMahon let the prestige of the Intercontinental title erode to near oblivion as it has over the years. Looking back at that era, there was so much to gain by winning the title, as it would usually lead to a push toward a run at the heavyweight title. This match at the '91 Summerslam event is proof positive of that. Bret went on to have an incredible run for years to come off that win.

Well Curt and Rick Rude were Bret Hart's two best friends so it's not really a surprise that Curt was such a professional for him. Friends usually take care of friends in the wrestling business. I doubt Hennig would have worked so hard under the same conditions if the opponent had been say Kerry Von Erich.

When I saw the title of this post, I immediately thought that something about this match always bothered me, in a regretful way. I thought it might be something silly like Perfect's weird haircut or the Coach's whistle/presence. But, that wasn't it--it was the quick bell. It really took away from the ending for me. The crowd was going nuts and the suspense of whether or not Curt was going to tap really could have had them hotter for the eventual bell signal. It's weird for a three second difference to ruin a classic match for me...but it kind of did. Hell, I'll commit--it did. It ruined it because it still bugs me whenever I see a replay.

Another "son of a bitch, that ruined it" moment was Heenan audibly speculating whether or not Hogan was the third man. GREAT moments with just a little something to ruin them. Hmmmm post idea...

Guys, it was done for a very simple reason... Hennig's back was shot to pieces and being in the Sharpshooter was causing him more damage and pain, hence they ended the match quickly to stop Curt being in more pain than was necessary. Look at it, he isn't pretending to scream... How the Sharpshooter bends a back was exactly what Curt didn't need.

It's like the awful end to the Austin/Owen match all those years later, it looked horrid but it had to be that way, they had to get Austin out of there and while that pin convinced no one, they went with the plan. Did it ruin the match? or was it that which made it so memorable?

The match itself was built around managing Curt's injury but putting on a spectacle, something they both managed but when it came time to it they had to get Curt out of there and go home quickly, the "quick tap" only served to make the Sharpshooter look more devastating but was probably the difference between a year out and two or 3 for Curt.

This is with out question my favorite match ever. The competitiveness between two natural athletes with this type of chemistry was amazing. Best match ever I'm not sure about that because the sport is constantly evolving and different things make different matches great. Their is no denying though that this natch was epic. The combination of Hennig Hart was amazing and I wish we would have gotten to see it for a world title. The combo is on the same level as Jordan and Pippen in my eyes

Guys, it was done for a very simple reason... Hennig's back was shot to pieces and being in the Sharpshooter was causing him more damage and pain, hence they ended the match quickly to stop Curt being in more pain than was necessary. Look at it, he isn't pretending to scream... How the Sharpshooter bends a back was exactly what Curt didn't need.

It's like the awful end to the Austin/Owen match all those years later, it looked horrid but it had to be that way, they had to get Austin out of there and while that pin convinced no one, they went with the plan. Did it ruin the match? or was it that which made it so memorable?

The match itself was built around managing Curt's injury but putting on a spectacle, something they both managed but when it came time to it they had to get Curt out of there and go home quickly, the "quick tap" only served to make the Sharpshooter look more devastating but was probably the difference between a year out and two or 3 for Curt.

That is completely fair. The Austin/Owen comparison is a bit off, but I see where you are going. I am not saying that they should have left the hold on him longer...his back and well-being are more important. I am just saying under better circumstances, it could have been that much better with a little hesitation and emotion build-up. But, I agree that his condition did not allow for this.

I cant say it was without a doubt teh best worked match of all time, both Steamboat-Flair title switches easily come to mind from that era. Considering how badly injured Henning's back was at the time it was a heroic effort to be sure, much like how hard HBK worked despite his injury limitations in his title loss vs Austin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back