• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hall of Fame 7th Inductee Nominations

Who should be the 7th Inductee to the WrestleZone Hall of Fame

• The Rock

• Harley Race

• Brunno Sammartino

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JGlass

Unregistered User
Hello Wrestling Fans! It's that time again, time to nominate another wrestler into the WrestleZone Hall of Fame! This time we bring you wrestlers from three different eras, but it's once again up to YOU to decide which one belongs in the e-wings of the Hall of Fame!

The Rock- The Rock is widely regarded as one of the best mic men in the history of professional wrestling. His numerous catchphrases and ability to put someone in their place with a few harsh words and the raise of an eyebrow will forever be among the favorite memories of some Attitude Era fans.

Furthermore, The Rock partook in some of the most memorable feuds in wrestling history, including wars with Mick Foley, Vince McMahon, and of course, the immortal Stone Cold Steve Austin.

The Rock was the favorite wrestler of millions (and millions), and would be a healthy addition to any Hall of Fame.

Harley Race- Widely regarded as one of the greatest NWA Champions, Harley Race was man's man type of wrestler, the guy who would do anything and use any part of his body– he is the original user of the diving headbutt –to win his matches.

Race captured the hearts of fans across the world in the 70s with his rough and tough style, and he soon earned a reign as the NWA Champion, beating long time rival Terry Funk to get his second World Title reign under his belt. He wrestled across four decades, becoming one of the most memorable competitors all over the world.

Race was the complete package in the ring, one of the first of this type, and one of the best. He had the brains, the brawn, the tenacity, the look, everything a wrestler needs to succeed. Harley Race is truly Hall of Fame material.

Bruno Sammartino- The Living Legend, Bruno Sammartino was a hero to immigrants and natives alike in New York in the 60s. Perhaps you recognize the name from WWE record books; Bruno Sammartino is the longest reigining WWE Champion, holding the title for over 7 years from 1963 to 1971. He would hold the Championship another time during his career, but it was a significantly shorter reign, lasting a mere 3+ years.

Sammartino started his career wrestling Bull Curry at Madison Square Garden, but it was only 6 months later that he was main eventing shows at the same time. About four years later and he'd embark on one of the most epic and successful title runs in the history of professional wrestling, feuding with such legends at Gorilla Monsoon, Killer Kowalski, Freddie Blassie, and The Sheik.

Sammartino was not only a phenomenal wrestler and champion, he was also a figure of New York, similar to how the Mayor or Spike Lee or Derek Jeter are. He represented a successful immigrant striking it big in the new country, and he captured the hearts of all his fans. Sammartino's career is certainly one of Hall of Fame proportions.

So it's up to you. Which of these three men belongs in the Hall of Fame? The poll will be open for a week, you decide which man enters!

Simply Put, Harley Race. He is the benchmark for Titles. While some think it is Flair. Harley Race's world Title number is the Benchmark for an established Main Event Wrestler. He was one of the best wrestlers in the world during that time. His feuds with the likes of Flair and Rhodes are legendary. He travelled the world and made a name for himself as one of the Legends of the Industry.

While Bruno held the title the longest and sold out MSG more times than anyone else. He was a majority one Company guy as opposed to Race who travelled the territories as Champion.

The Rock, not as great as people think he is.

I'm going with Bruno Sammartino. He's sort of the man that is always speaking his mind, he's day in and day out telling Vince McMahon how much he fucked up the company. I mean...he has the longest reigning WWE champioship record of all time, with 4,040 days. That record, will NEVER be defeated, not with how the company is using the WWE title today.

Being that my friend and teammate is the grandson of Bruno Sammartino, I know Bruno is a nice guy and has a deep love for wrestling. The Rock and Harley Race have never had a title reign like this guy has, and although Bruno will never, ever accept to be in the WWE's hall of fame, I think with the accomplishments this guy has done, he deserves to be in some sort of hall of fame.

I remember in the WZ Tournament Harley Race squared off against Bruno Sammartino and it was damn near impossible for me to decide who to vote for. I ended up voting for Race. And I want to badly vote for Race here, but I can't do it. Bruno Sammartino deserves a Hall of Fame induction over him, IMO.

Just think about Bruno's accompliments... they're incredible and will never be topped by anyone, ever. His two WWE (back then WWWF, obviously) title reigns lasted over a decade (to this day he is the company's longest reigning champion ever). He sold out Madison Square Garden more times then ANYONE in wrestling history, nobody in boxing even touches him there. He filled out houses everywhere he wrestled during his era. And, unlike most top draws throughout the history of the business, Bruno got where he got with hard work and honesty, and as far as I can tell, he never had to screw anyone over to remain on top.

Now, that last sentence applies to Harley Race as well, which is why it's hard for me to discredit him, but Race's NWA Championship reigns just fail in comparison to Bruno's run in the 60's and 70's. Sure, you could argue Race was better in the ring (he was, and he was most certainly better on the mic), but accomplishments more than anything should qualify someone for the Hall of Fame, and not even the great Harley Race's wonderful accomplishments in the business come close to touching Bruno Sammartino's.

And as far as The Rock is concerned... even HE would feel insulted if you voted for him over the likes of Sammartino and Race, so don't do it. Don't be a fanboy. Yeah, I grew up loving The Rock too, but as a true professional wrestling fan, I've learned the history of the business and I have the utmost respect for guys who paved the way for wrestlers like The Rock, as should every wrestling fan.

I'm just going to skip over the Rock for the time being. The Rock will have his time, he has done things that men in the buisness can only wish to do. But Bruno and Race have both done more for the buisness in my eyes. But The Rock will have his day in the Wz hof, I have no doubts in that.

I'm not going to claim to be an old school expert here, both Race and Bruno's peak days were way before I was even born. I believe both men were retired by the time I was born. So I can only go by what I've read and what I've seen in video's. But let me say this, as a wrestling fan I would have paid to see either man in their prime wrestle a main event anyware.

Bruno wasn't the biggest man in stature along with Race. Both men had a moveset up to par with the period of the time and were on top of the heap during their runs as champion. Unless you had the chance to set and watch either man for multiple years as wrestlers. I don't think the superior moveset can come into play here. Because the bigger picture is what they did for wrestling as a whole. Both men took the companys they were in to huge levels. While the attitude era and the Hulk Wwf era are talked about. I don't think Bruno or Race are talked about enough in the buisness today.

Bruno's story is that of legend, in two reigns he created a record that in todays wrestling no one can have a hope of ever winning. You can make the argument that it's another time and better booking. But in my eyes that record is legit. He set a record for benchpress in the 60's and made himself into a monster strong man. He was a wrestlers wrestler in the Us and Canada.

We can do this the easy way or the hard way, that was his way as a champion and how he won his first title. Antonio Inoki famously found that out after trying to cut in a real submission in a match they had in Japan. I can go on an on about his strength and whatnot, but really Bruno was what the wrestling buisness needed during his time. Someone the fans could look up to and from what I've read, he did that perfectly.

Funk some people say brought the south teritory of wrestling into the light. He was a mans man. He was allmost a perfect heel and could work the mic and in the ring like a mad man. He was thought of as nothing more than a gifted territorial wrestler. He propelled himself into the spotlight after he won the Nwa Whc from Dory funk. He lost it a few months later but it helped prove himself that he could hang. It also helped prove his worth as he won the title again and held onto it for nearly 4 years.

Ric Flair has said that Race helped propel him into the spotlight and to his massive ammount of title reigns. Somthing that Race was no slouch on either.

Race is a legend all over the world, Japan, Canada, and allmost any teritory in the US Harley Race was known.

For me I'm going to have to go with Bruno though, he set the benchmark for title reigns and taught the world how to sell out the best arena in the world at the time. Race was god in his teritory and more. But Bruno was put into the Main event 6 months after his debut and made his name that way. It's not an easy choice. But Bruno seems like the more logical choice.

Bruno

This one is most certainly a tough decision but at the end of the day it has to go to Bruno. Bruno was one of if not the first great superstar EVER. His title history should be more then enough to explain how big a deal he was. Spanning over a decade this accomplishment is something nobody will ever do again. I think his overall impact on wrestling is something that cannot go unnoticed because he really got people ito wrestling. Without him we can't say what the state of professional wrestling would be.

The other two surely deserve to be in the HOF however I think Bruno tops them out overall. But it's a close one and I wouldn't care so much if it went to the Rock or Harley Race.

Bruno

This one is most certainly a tough decision but at the end of the day it has to go to Bruno. Bruno was one of if not the first great superstar EVER.

Let's not exaggerate here, Macios. Frank Gotch and Georg Hackenschmidt, who were way before Sammartino's time, were the first wrestling superstars. Then you have guys like Ed "Strangler" Lewis (time-wise he was closer to Gotch and Hackenschmidt), Buddy Rogers, Killer Kowalski, and Lou Thesz... they all came before Sammartino too.

Sammartino's impact is huge, but stop making him into some kind of an untouchable figure.

His title history should be more then enough to explain how big a deal he was. Spanning over a decade this accomplishment is something nobody will ever do again. I think his overall impact on wrestling is something that cannot go unnoticed because he really got people ito wrestling.

Wrestling was different at the time. I'm not saying that how long he held the belt for isn't abnormal, but longer reigns were more common. It never will be done again, especially when you think about the fact that one year is now considered an eternity.

He can't be directly compared to a guy like Rock because of how different their eras were. Rock's seven years in the WWE were insanely successful, probably the most monetary successful years McMahon ever had, not to mention The Rock's accolades in the ring.

Without him we can't say what the state of professional wrestling would be.

What would wrestling be like without The Rock? Stone Cold and Rock carried the WWE through the Attitude Era, they put the company on their back.

Bruno helped the WWWF survive a lot of hardships, but so did The Rock.

Let's not exaggerate here, Macios. Frank Gotch and Georg Hackenschmidt, who were way before Sammartino's time, were the first wrestling superstars. Then you have guys like Ed "Strangler" Lewis (time-wise he was closer to Gotch and Hackenschmidt), Buddy Rogers, Killer Kowalski, and Lou Thesz... they all came before Sammartino too.

Ehhhhhhhhh... Gotch and Hackenschmidt (gesundheit!) were never really superstars. They were the first people to really make professional wrestling a mainstream form of entertainment, but they were hardly household names. Thesz was really wrestling's first superstar.

Sammartino's impact is huge, but stop making him into some kind of an untouchable figure.

Seven years as champion is a pretty untouchable figure...

Wrestling was different at the time. I'm not saying that how long he held the belt for isn't abnormal, but longer reigns were more common. It never will be done again, especially when you think about the fact that one year is now considered an eternity.

Certainly it was a different time, but let's not pretend it was a reign that is only memorable because of its length. He lifted the belt off of the guy it was created for, and then he had feuds with a who's who of wrestling. Like I said in the OP, we had Kowalski, Monsoon, The Sheik, Blassie, Steele, Watts, and the list goes on and on. In a single title reign Sammartino fought more legends than you can count on your hands and toes.

Let's also not forget that he was a hero to millions, he sold out the Garden more times than any other performer, and that he and Thesz shared the ability of being able to flat out beat anyone they had to if it came down to being done the hard way.

He can't be directly compared to a guy like Rock because of how different their eras were. Rock's seven years in the WWE were insanely successful, probably the most monetary successful years McMahon ever had, not to mention The Rock's accolades in the ring.

The Rock wasn't even the most successful guy of his era, while Bruno was undoubtedly the king of the WWWF for what amounts to over a decade.

What would wrestling be like without The Rock? Stone Cold and Rock carried the WWE through the Attitude Era, they put the company on their back.

Let's not act like Steve Austin and The Rock split the load 50/50, the Attitude Era was Stone Cold's creation, The Rock was talented enough to play one of the major supporting characters in a play that cast Steve Austin as the lead. Bruno Sammartino played second violin to no man. Shit, even his boss had respect Sammartino's drawing power and ability. Vince Sr. fucked with Sammartino's pay all the time before he got big, but by the time Sammartino made it big he was the one calling the shots.

Bruno helped the WWWF survive a lot of hardships, but so did The Rock.

Hardships? What hardships was the WWF facing by the time Rock made it big? Not totally demolishing WCW? The WWWF was BOMBING with Rogers as champ, and Bruno Sammartino turned the company around 180º with his title reign. Anyone else and we might not have a WWE today.

I'm not going to do a multi quote thing but Crock this is in response to your multi quote argument.

As to why I didn't vote Rock is pretty simple. I think overall Bruno did more for professional wrestling then the Rock. I do agree that The Rock did a lot for the WWE but the WWE is one of many wrestling companies. Bruno was somebody who made people think "Hmm maybe with guys like this we can go create our own companies." Yes, WWE is the biggest of them all but in a pure wrestling HOF I would have to say that Bruno just edges out the Rock.

It's a close one I'll give you that, but in the grand scheme of things Bruno deserves to be in first. And Rock is my second choice for the record.

Ehhhhhhhhh... Gotch and Hackenschmidt (gesundheit!) were never really superstars. They were the first people to really make professional wrestling a mainstream form of entertainment, but they were hardly household names. Thesz was really wrestling's first superstar.

Ehhhhhh... I'd still go with Gotch and Hackenschmidt, but the general point was that it wasn't Sammartino.

Seven years as champion is a pretty untouchable figure...

Nobody else did it, but reigns regularly lasted a few years.

Certainly it was a different time, but let's not pretend it was a reign that is only memorable because of its length. He lifted the belt off of the guy it was created for, and then he had feuds with a who's who of wrestling. Like I said in the OP, we had Kowalski, Monsoon, The Sheik, Blassie, Steele, Watts, and the list goes on and on. In a single title reign Sammartino fought more legends than you can count on your hands and toes.

Let's also not forget that he was a hero to millions, he sold out the Garden more times than any other performer, and that he and Thesz shared the ability of being able to flat out beat anyone they had to if it came down to being done the hard way.

First off, the WWWF primarily used Madison Square Garden at the time. Not as impressive as you're making it out to be.

Ask any fan why they remember Sammartino's reign and it's because of it's length. Sure, he beat all those legends (which is amazing, I won't argue that) and there are people who remember it for that, but most don't.

But how can we compare that to The Rock? Rock's reigns can't be converted backwards into Sammartino's time, not that I'm saying they'd be as impressive, but don't scoff at his accomplishments.

The Rock wasn't even the most successful guy of his era, while Bruno was undoubtedly the king of the WWWF for what amounts to over a decade.

I despise this argument with a passion. I get that Austin was the head dog, but come on... What The Rock did for the WWE can't be replaced. He did it all, in and out of the ring. He was the main stream star that came of the Attitude Era, not Stone Cold. Ask anybody on the street about wrestling and they'll probably name Hogan or Rock.

Let's not act like Steve Austin and The Rock split the load 50/50, the Attitude Era was Stone Cold's creation, The Rock was talented enough to play one of the major supporting characters in a play that cast Steve Austin as the lead. Bruno Sammartino played second violin to no man. Shit, even his boss had respect Sammartino's drawing power and ability. Vince Sr. fucked with Sammartino's pay all the time before he got big, but by the time Sammartino made it big he was the one calling the shots.

They didn't, Stone Cold was top dog, but without Rock... I don't know if it would have been a shadow of what it became. He wasn't a "major supporting character" he was a star. When Austin was gone, it was Rock, hell, he took over at times WITH Austin there.

The pay argument is also bullshit. All major stars do it. Do you think Rock and Stone Cold let Vince play them? Hell no, they took him for every penny.

Hardships? What hardships was the WWF facing by the time Rock made it big? Not totally demolishing WCW? The WWWF was BOMBING with Rogers as champ, and Bruno Sammartino turned the company around 180º with his title reign. Anyone else and we might not have a WWE today.

Probably poor word choice, but the WWF didn't permanently take the lead until November 2nd, 1998. Rock was a very established star at the time and the hottest young star in pro wrestling. People started looking at him as the best mic man in the business, they propelled him into a WWF Championship at Survivor Series. Survivor Series happened on November 15th, 1998 and at the next Raw, WWF put up a 5.5, their highest rating of the whole Monday Night Wars (up to that date). What I'm trying to say by that is that he had a direct impact and a damn big one. He kept the WWF ahead and he was directly responsible for the WWF's monster success.

Nowhere in there did I argue Sammartino was also not the guy responsible for saving the WWWF. You're taking my post as if I'm trying to say he wasn't any of the aforementioned things (legend, great champion, etc.), I wasn't.

Ehhhhhh... I'd still go with Gotch and Hackenschmidt, but the general point was that it wasn't Sammartino.

I'm not trying to belittle Gotch and Hackenschmidt, but their accomplishment was bringing wrestling out of the carnivals and gymnasiums and putting it in arenas. Now they were superstars by their own right, but in terms of the modern definition of superstar, they paled in comparison to the likes of Thesz or Sammartino.

Nobody else did it, but reigns regularly lasted a few years.

And yet none lasted quite as long as Sammartino's.

First off, the WWWF primarily used Madison Square Garden at the time. Not as impressive as you're making it out to be.

It sure as hell is impressive. First you have to maintain relevance and popularity to be at the top of all those cards, something nobody except the best of the best (read Thesz and Sammartino) could do. Second, you had to have the longevity to perform of that many shows. Third, you had to fucking SELL OUT MSG! In fact, the fact that the WWWF used MSG so often almost makes it more impressive that he sold it out, because that means the same people were buying tickets over and over again to see Bruno Sammartino.

Ask any fan why they remember Sammartino's reign and it's because of it's length. Sure, he beat all those legends (which is amazing, I won't argue that) and there are people who remember it for that, but most don't.

Ask the majority of fans anything about wrestling that didn't happen in the past 2 years and they'll be clueless. Anybody worth asking will know there was more to the title reign than the length. Don't bring those week arguments about "the majority" into the Hall of Fame. This is a place for the elite, and they are being judged by the elite.

But how can we compare that to The Rock? Rock's reigns can't be converted backwards into Sammartino's time, not that I'm saying they'd be as impressive, but don't scoff at his accomplishments.

Who's scoffing? I'm merely pointing out that Sammartino's reign may be the best ever. The Rock had many great title runs, but nobody would ever classify any of them as one of the greatest of all time.

I despise this argument with a passion. I get that Austin was the head dog, but come on... What The Rock did for the WWE can't be replaced. He did it all, in and out of the ring. He was the main stream star that came of the Attitude Era, not Stone Cold. Ask anybody on the street about wrestling and they'll probably name Hogan or Rock.

:rolleyes: Who cares who the mainstream star is? This is a professional wrestling e-Hall of Fame, where we are measuring the success of one's wrestling career, not entertainment career. If that was the case we'd have to take out Lou Thesz and replace him with The Great Khali for his work in The Longest Yard and Get Smart.

They didn't, Stone Cold was top dog, but without Rock... I don't know if it would have been a shadow of what it became. He wasn't a "major supporting character" he was a star. When Austin was gone, it was Rock, hell, he took over at times WITH Austin there.

You missed the analogy. A major supporting character can be a star too. Hell, one of the biggest roles of Brando's career was as Stanley Kowalski, a supporting character in A Streetcar Named Desire. You can still be a star when you're not the lead. Doesn't change the fact that when the credits roll the lead's name is going to come first.

The pay argument is also bullshit. All major stars do it. Do you think Rock and Stone Cold let Vince play them? Hell no, they took him for every penny.

It was so much more than pay, though believe you me, there's no way in HELL The Rock had more pull of his payouts than Sammartino had over his. If The Rock made some ridiculous demand, Vince would tell him to fuck off and just promote Triple H or Undertaker or Angle in his place. If Sammartino made a ridiculous demand Vince Sr. would have to break his back to meet it. Why? Because there was literally nobody better.

Story time: Vince Sr. actually did screw Sammartino once upon a time. He booked him in Baltimore and Chicago on the same night, but only told him about the Chicago booking, and when Sammartino no-showed Baltimore, the athletic commission suspended him. Unable to get any work in America, he went to Canada, where he was, low and behold, a huge success. Then when Rogers bombed as champ and Vince Sr. knew that the only man that could save his ass was Sammartino, he had to pay Sammartino's fine to the athletic commission just to get him back in the company. He still called his own shots and made his own schedule after that.

Was The Rock ever able to say, "No, I don't want to wrestle this guy tonight"? Was he able to say, "I'm going to go wrestle a show in Canada this weekend, so I can't do that show you wanted me to do Sunday night"?

Probably poor word choice, but the WWF didn't permanently take the lead until November 2nd, 1998. Rock was a very established star at the time and the hottest young star in pro wrestling. People started looking at him as the best mic man in the business, they propelled him into a WWF Championship at Survivor Series. Survivor Series happened on November 15th, 1998 and at the next Raw, WWF put up a 5.5, their highest rating of the whole Monday Night Wars (up to that date). What I'm trying to say by that is that he had a direct impact and a damn big one. He kept the WWF ahead and he was directly responsible for the WWF's monster success.

No doubt Rock had an impact. Sammartino's was bigger. MUCH bigger. Without Sammartino, there wouldn't have been a championship match for Rock to compete in at Survivor Series in 98.

Nowhere in there did I argue Sammartino was also not the guy responsible for saving the WWWF. You're taking my post as if I'm trying to say he wasn't any of the aforementioned things (legend, great champion, etc.), I wasn't.

That's not what I'm trying to do, I'm trying to juxtapose The Rock's accomplishments with those of Sammartino, and when it comes down to it, Sammartino's blows The Rock's out of the water in every way shape and form.

In a weird twist of fate, I'm going to vote for the man that I know the least about which in this case in Mr Bruno Sammartino. But see, it's exactly for that reason that I'll be voting for him. I've probably seen days worth of he Rock laying the smack down on some roody poos and verbally dismantling them. I've seen Harley Race wrestle The Nature Boy and am familiar with his 8 heavyweight championship reigns, I know how tough he was and that he could cut a mean promo.

I know what Bruno looks like, that's about it. But the idea of a man holding the most accomplished belt in all of professional wrestling for over 7 years is an unquestionable feat. In fact it's a legendary accomplishment. Most semi-serious wrestling fans have never seen the man wrestle... but they know about him. And as a seemingly pointless bit of trivia portrays, his reach on the world hasn't been altogether forgotten as the current pop singer Bruno Mars was actually named after the man.

So you see the fact that I'm voting for a man who's main body of work is a comfortable 15 years or so before I have any real depth of knowledge about the industry I think tells scores about him. I don't know if he was good, bad, unbearable; I do know that he ought to be a fledgling member of any HOF, hypothetical or none.

lasting a mere 3+ years.

:lmao:

Yeah, I'm definitely picking Sammartino for this. The legacy he left on the industry was unbelievable. The guy was around for 29+ years and the fact that Bruno really put wrestling on the map speaks volumes. I STRONGLY believe that without a face like Sammartino for the wrestling industry, it probably never would of got half as big as what it is now and what it has ever been. He was an icon for immigrants and really was sort of a personification of the American Dream, at the time. And, a 7 year title reign where people don't actually get bored of you, will never happen again.

Bruno Sammartino is certainly a legend. He was really the first ever strong man mega face who beat up on all of the top heels and that helped make him extremely popular. He also has his record long nearly 8 year title reign. If that's what you want to vote for then go right ahead. I, however, am not going to vote for someone who wasn't entertaining to me in the least bit. He obviously entertained the fans back in the 60's and 70's but that was a much simpler time in wrestling.

How many of you have watched a Sammartino match or promo? If you have then you know he was very hard to understand on the mic because of his thick accent and when it came to ring work he had to be one of the dullest workers in the history of wrestling. I give the guy props for helping to pave the way in the wrestling business for future superstars but that doesn't change the fact that he was mind-numbingly boring.

I personally voted for the Rock but it was a tough choice over Harley Race. Both guys are abut 100x more entertaining then Bruno and they also have a lot of historical significance. I'm not saying that entertainment should be the main thing to use in voting just that if you have entertaining guys who are also very accomplished and historically significant like Rock and Race, then those are guys I'm going to vote for first.

I voted for Sammartino, 1. because of the title reigns he had. 2. He is the better pure wrestles of the three of them, Yeah Rock was the better entertainer but he couldn't touch Sammartino in the ring or probably in a real fight. As for Mr. Race he was damn good but I don't think his accomplishments or toughness match Sammartinos.

I voted for Sammartino, 1. because of the title reigns he had. 2. He is the better pure wrestles of the three of them, Yeah Rock was the better entertainer but he couldn't touch Sammartino in the ring or probably in a real fight. As for Mr. Race he was damn good but I don't think his accomplishments or toughness match Sammartinos.

Here is an example of a guy who probably hasn't watched a Sammartino match. Bruno was awful in the ring, plain and simple. Rock and Race take a gigantic diarrhea shit all over what Bruno did in the ring. Race is one of the better workers the industry has ever seen and the The Rock's in ring work is severely underrated.

Here is an example of a guy who probably hasn't watched a Sammartino match. Bruno was awful in the ring, plain and simple. Rock and Race take a gigantic diarrhea shit all over what Bruno did in the ring. Race is one of the better workers the industry has ever seen and the The Rock's in ring work is severely underrated.

Whatever. Your an example of the many posters here that think their opinions are fact and it's not. I have seen some Sammartino matches and it's my opinion that he is the better of the three, with Race a very close second. It's my opinion that the Rock is not in their league in the ring when it comes down to actual wrestling, just like they're not in the Rocks league when it come down to entertainment.

Whatever. Your an example of the many posters here that think their opinions are fact and it's not. I have seen some Sammartino matches and it's my opinion that he is the better of the three, with Race a very close second. It's my opinion that the Rock is not in their league in the ring when it comes down to actual wrestling, just like they're not in the Rocks league when it come down to entertainment.

No, I'm an example of one of the many posters who has eyes. Those eyes have watched multiple Sammartino matches as well as multiple Rock matches and Harley Race matches. The work that The Rock has done and Harley Race has done in the ring is leaps and bounds ahead of anything Sammartino has done. What matches of Sammartino have you watched to give this opinion of him being better in the ring then the Rock and Harley Race?

If that's what you want to vote for then go right ahead. I, however, am not going to vote for someone who wasn't entertaining to me in the least bit. He obviously entertained the fans back in the 60's and 70's but that was a much simpler time in wrestling.

Isn't this being sort of shallow though? So what if he wasn't entertaining in a wrestling Hall of Fame shouldn't people be put in first based on waht they did for wrestling? It may be a personal prefernce of yours to vote for who you enjoyed the most, which believe me is okay in most scenarios, but in a HOF which ranks people on their impact to wrestling it is unneccesary. I agree he isn't entertaining but then again he has that special attribute in being the longest title holder which should boost him over almost any other superstar. His legacy is greater then that of Rock and Harley Race which I strongly believe should be what people vote for and not on what left you more entertained. I think entertainment is more of criteria you use for the major WrestleZone tournament and not something like the HOF.

Isn't this being sort of shallow though? So what if he wasn't entertaining in a wrestling Hall of Fame shouldn't people be put in first based on waht they did for wrestling? It may be a personal prefernce of yours to vote for who you enjoyed the most, which believe me is okay in most scenarios, but in a HOF which ranks people on their impact to wrestling it is unneccesary. I agree he isn't entertaining but then again he has that special attribute in being the longest title holder which should boost him over almost any other superstar. His legacy is greater then that of Rock and Harley Race which I strongly believe should be what people vote for and not on what left you more entertained. I think entertainment is more of criteria you use for the major WrestleZone tournament and not something like the HOF.

I never said I was voting based solely on entertainment. I just think that to not use that as part of the equation is doing an injustice to the other two guys being discussed. Obviously legacy is huge when talking about the HOF but The Rock and Harley Race both have tremendous legacies in this business as well. Maybe not as big as Sammartino's but I'll take the total package of legacy, accomplishments, and entertainment from The Rock and Harley Race over Sammartino's legacy, accomplishments, and dullness.

Harley Race is a man who has influenced many, created history and earned the respect of just about every and all who he has encountered. Harley Race was the man through the 1970's and early 1980's. He was NWA Heavyweight Champion 8 times, and is responsible for being the person who managed to push Ric Flair over the top and turned him from main eventer to superstar. Harley Race is influential and brilliant and is a key figure in wrestling history and is the complete package for a wrestler. That's not to say The Rock and Bruno weren't influential or anything, I just went with Race here as I feel he deserves his spot a little more.

Harley Race

One of the toughest men to ever lace up a pair of boots, Harley is certainly HOF material. He held the NWA world title on many occasions, and was a champion that the working man could believe in. He had the aura of a champion, had great matches with the likes of Ric Flair, Terry Funk, Dusty Rhodes and many others and have a rough, believable style which still looks great to this day.

Race was incredibly loyal to the NWA, turning down offers of more money to screw over the company and join the WWF on many occasions, and put his body through hell for the NWA and the heavyweight title over 4 decades.

Sammartino is certainly HOF worthy due to his incredible title reigns, and so is The Rock for the impact he had on the business, but if I had to pick one, I would go for Harley Race every time

It comes down to either Rock or Harley. Both men were excellent competitors and feared absolutely no one inside of that ring. The slight edge has to go to Rocky for me though seeing as how i grew up watching him on TV instead of youtube like i did Race. I got to see the emotion that was put into everyone of his promos and i remember all of his feuds vividly even if they were with was nots such as Billy Gunn. Harley as great of a wrestler as he was he is no Rocky Maivia.

Simply put, it has to be........HARLEY RACE! You cannot have a hall of fame without him, the terms legend and icon get thrown around very liberally in wrestling, this man is the epitome of the word legend. I didn't ever get the chance to really watch Harley unfortunately, but have since learned how much he meant to this business. Yes I agree the rock deserves the nod, as well as Bruno at some point, but Harley Race most def deserves to be included on his first ballot. Harley Fuckin Race baby!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back