Hairstyle fade's in wrestling

CM Steel

A REAL American
Since the 1980's hair has been in important in wrestling as well as Rock 'N Roll music. Long hair among wrestler's was a huge thing as of who had the best hair like Barry Windom, the Rock 'N Roll Express, Jake "The Snake" Roberts, "Stunning" Steve Austin, ECT. But as the 90's rolled in many wrestler's from that era of wrestling were headed to the barbershop.

Wrestler's like "Stunning" Steve Austin who later evolved into Stone Cold Steve Austin revolutionized the shorter (or bold) hair look into the 1990's. Along with other's like Lex Luger, Dustin Runnels (Goldust), Davey Boy Smith, ECT. And in the beginning of the 2000's wrestler's such as Christian, Test (R.I.P.), Eddie Guerrero (R.I.P.), and JBL started going low.

WWE Hall of Famer Edge just cut down his long locks which he sported for many years now. And wrestling fans are awaiting for Triple H to finally do something with his long Conan like hair.

So in your own opinion. Who sported the best hair over the years and why?

I think there is almost nothing more pathetic than when a wrestler (or musician) still has the long hair well into their late 40s and 50s, most of the time it just looks horrific, and embarrassing. There are exceptions to the rule, but alot of the time it looks terrible.

I let Hogan off here, as the hair is part of who the character is, and it is instantly recognisable. Plus, he has had the same completely-bald-on-top hairstyle since the 80's, so he doesn't look any worse now than he did then.

But wrestlers such as Jake Roberts, where their hair has receded to almost Hogan-esque levels and it starts looking straggly and thin just need to realise that its time to move on. Roberts looks like a tramp these days. Greg Valentine is another who really needs to get rid of the long hair, he looks a moron. Maybe even HBK too.

It's not really that big of a deal though, and I think plenty of guys such as Christian, Test, Jericho and Edge just decided that they had had enough of long hair, and just wanted something different, thats all. Different hairstyles at different times become popular, in the early 90s it was all about the mullet, loads of wrestlers had it, including Shawn Michaels, Brutus Beefcake, Marty Jannetty and plenty more, but as with other trends in society, it just faded out.

I have to agree with Triple Naitch here that guys in their 40's and 50's that still sport the long hair look ridiculous. Even the Undertaker's signature long hair was looking thin and straggly before he cut it off. HBK had the world's best comb over going on. I think some guys just realize what looked good in their 20's and 30's doesn't look good now. Also a sign of the times to. You would not see a person caught dead with a mullet now, but they were popular 20 years ago. Its not a big deal, but it is better when wrestlers change their look with the times a bit.

Dunno about the best, but the worst goes to Ricky Morton.

His horrendous Joe Dirt style mullet has been out of style for twenty years and looks ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back