• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gunner and Murphy?

ramblinroy682

Pre-Show Stalwart
I have been watching Gunner and Murphy for a while now. I get NWA Anarchy as syndicated show on a local network. I have seen them wrestle as Phil Shatter and Mikael Judas. Gunner is Phil Shatter and Murphy is Judas. Phil Shatter played the Universal Soldier Gimmick and Judas was a Priest of sorts similar to Kane or the Undertaker. I felt their work was solid and they have potential to be solid workers for TNA. I have said all across the boards that TNA should focus on character development for younger independent guys like these two. I do not think that their previous characters would really catch on, but I think in the right context they could really be the next tag team that TNA brings into the picture.

Now, I think TNA has made a mistake by aligning them with Immortal and Fortune because they will always be second fiddle to Beer Money. I also hate to see them enter as security because that just sets them up to get beat down by default. Wrestling security is always booked to look weak and stupid. Now, with that said, I think they need a storyline where they are either fired from Immortal and come back looking for revenge or break apart because they are tired of being mistreated.

What I would do, would be something similar to this. I would have Gunner and Murphy continue to attack Samoa Joe until he gets pissed off and decides to take it out on them. He finds a partner. I would have him land Kevin Nash. I would have Joe and Nash go over Gunner and Murphy at first, but I would have Gunner and Murphy look strong in defeat. Maybe even have Nash cheat to win. I would follow that up with Nash saying during a promo that he was impressed by those two and they remind him of another tag team that he was a part of back in WCW. He alludes to the fact that its a shame they are listening to Jeff Jarrett for advice. Also, in his promo he reminds Jarrett that he and the wolfpack will be gunning for Immortal now that he is back.

After Joe's win, he now is back into a feud with Jarrrett. During the following weeks, Immortal gets attacked backstage. We see Gunner and Murphy laid out. We see Bischoff laid out in the back. During Jeff Jarrett promo's two masked figures jump out from the crowd and attack him with black bats. At every attack there is a black bat left behind. Immortal is blaming Nash and Sting. Several people question Joe about if he is involved. Is he playing mind games? Finally at the Pay Per View, Joe and Jarrett have their match. During the match, the two masked figures come out to the ring. They face Joe and Jarrett, they begin to attack Joe. Jarrett can't believe it. They turn to face him and now they remove their masks. It's Gunner and Murphy. Now they attack Jarrett. They leave him laying. Out walks Kevin Nash with big smile and clapping.

Gunner and Murphy walk out of the ring. The next week on Impact, Kevin Nash cuts a promo saying that he knows that his days in the ring are pretty much over. Its time for him to pass on his knowledge and to help take down immortal. He says: "What does an "Outsider" do, when he needs to take a group down, he finds some "Insiders" who are willing to jump ship. He found his two insiders in Gunner and Murphy. They are the future of the TNA Tag Division. With his leadership they will rise to the top." He also points out that he was sorry to Joe and reminds him that he should have joined Sting and Nash's team. Nash never forgets and that was his payback.

I would continue to have Nash be their mouth piece and manager for the next few months until, inevitably, the duo turns on Nash. I think this would lay the foundation for a pretty formidable tag team. Nash definitely can still cut a promo and can only help them develop their promo skills. They are two big guys like Nash and Hall. If some of Nash's personality and charisma can rub off on them, they have potential.

Reactions: TLC
not a bad idea at all really.....even if there is no nash involved, some one like maybe a returning sting or a pissed off aj styles could help.....i think it could work well and is as good if not better than a lot of things TNA and even WWE for that matter, have going on.

I believe the plan was to make them sucierty heels and then when Dixie takes back control turn them into active tag team wrestlers.

Your idea is not that bad. The thing about them is, I don't see that much personality. They're more of a jobber type tag team. A Cade & Murdock type of thing.

Personally, that's similar to how I thought they should have been introduced in my opinion. Wrestling security is never a gimmick that leads to a long-term career for any wrestler in any company, and a tag-team addition would have been great to a divisions that's been downsized in recent months, despite an already high-quality evident in the tag-team division.

What's wrong with Gunner and Murphy's status right now? I don't see a problem with the way Gunner and Murphy are being used right now. They are Jarrett's lackeys, and they have aligned themselves with TNA's monster heel stable. Gunner and Murphy are getting a pretty nice push right now if you ask me. They might have potential, but there's a lot going on in TNA right now, and things will probably continue to be stacked on Impact for a while, so they probably wouldn't get enough exposure time anyway. Gunner and Murphy will break away from Jarrett some where down the line, but I just can't see something like this happening. Gunner and Murphy might be given a run as tag team, but I don't think anything major will happen for them in the long run.

They are on a trial role. It's been done before with the Red Shirt, Black Shirt and MEM/Mick Foley Security. I've seen Murphy's work as Mikael Judas in IWAPR. Not impressed. He was sloppy and the gimmick was just stupid. Funny considering Dutch Mantel was the booker. I can see them actually sticking around as opposed to other "security" teams. But so far, Murphy hasn't changed much other than ditching the powdered face. Don't know much about Gunner, though.

Phil Shatter (Gunner) to me is the more talented of the two, but I agree with the OP that them being in TNA as security is a waste of their talents. I was actually saying to myself watching their match with the Motorcity Machine Guns this past week on iMPACT! that both men, particularly Phil Shatter would likely make for a fantastic addition to TNA's mid-card.

Both men have the body and the requisite skill, but I've never really heard either talk very much, so how much of a personality either truly has is beyond me. On talent alone, they can certainly hang, but before either would receive a push, I'd want to be certain they have the personality to accompany that ring work.

Yea to look at them as two different guys, in Phil Shatter and Mikal Judas, they could each be very good, but in the end they'll probably get the Hernandez treatment. 2 big dudes that are extremely talented imo but tbh Phil Shatter would be more of the breakout star of the 2.

Both Gunnar and Murphy have decent physiques but seem limited both in the ring and during their talking segments. I agree that the security gimmick is not great but it gets them on TV. They are just a team that will be used for people to beat up meaning Ink inc can go a bit higher up the card and get some wins. I could never take them seriously as a legit tag team though as Samoa Joe has spanked them on his own so many times.

Well both Sheamus and Barrett have worked as WWE security in the past and it hasnt harmed their careers.

But I'm not a fan of these two. They haven't shown anything special and TNA seems to be willing to condemn them to jobbing roles. They don't look particularly dominant and have no stand out features to them. I can't say that I see a future or any point to them being there long term.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back