GSP: The Best Fighter in the World Right Now?

Fizzy

Mid-Card Championship Winner
I know P4P arguments are usually worthless, but I think this is warranted. When most people think about the best fighter in the world Fedor, and Anderson Silva comes to most mind as the #1 and #2. Not so much recently with Fedors loss, but in general that is the thoughts. GSP has always been considered #3 by most MMA fans. In my opinion though GSP has surpassed both Fedor and Anderson, and is now the best fighter in the world.

Let's look at his skills, and performances. He has never shown a weakness in any area. His striking is as technical as it comes, and his ground game speaks for itself. He is just awesome at every aspect of MMA. Really nobody has won a round against him besides MAYBE Koscheck who he dominated the rest of the fight, and of course Serra whom he crushed in the rematch. Anderson has shown weakness in his wrestling in both the Dan Henderson fight, and the Chael Sonnen fight. Sure he won both of those, and I am not trying to discredit the wins in any way, but he has shown a great weakness against strong wrestlers. Now nobody has been able to capitalize on that, but the weakness is there, and we all know it.

GSP is fighting in a STACKED division, and dominating with ease. He has shown no real weakness in his game, and at 29 still has a good 7-8 years left. As of right now I see nobody beating him. Can I say the same for Anderson? No I cannot. I think GSP has solidified himself as the #1 fighter in the world, and he will continue to be for a long time. Just want to get your guys thoughts on this subject.

The 'problem' with GSP, is he does not have the finishing ability as Anderson does. Since GSP's last loss to Matt Serra, 4 of his 7 matches have gone to decision. in 13 fights since his last loss, Anderson has gone to decision 2 times. Also, gsp is on a 7 fight win streak, but anderson 13.
Gsp does have a weakness compare to other fighters, which is his stand up. His last 3 TKOS where against wrestlers. Why has he not knocked out a non wrestler recently? Because he just out-wrestles everybody. Which is not a problem, goes to your weakness. But his next match against Kosh, the probable 2nd best wrestler in the division. If he cannot take him down, he will have some problems. But, last match he took him down at will so it may not be a problem.
Chael also cheated, so who knows how much imact that had to improve his performance? And, Anderson was injured.

GSP is the definition of technicality in this sport. He is solid in every aspect and i see no sign of slowing him down. He gets better and better every time we see him and it's scary how he always improves that extra mile in each fight. People may call GSP a safe fighter, but i call it intelligence, class and dominance. GSP is the 1# Fighter in the world because there is no clear cut weakness that is evident with this guy.
Anderson Silva like you stated has a bit of trouble handling the excellent wrestlers, and with Fedor his problem is he hasn't fought in the UFC, so the talent pool he has faced isn't rally as competitive as what their is to offer in the UFC.

The only wrestler Anderson has had trouble with was a roided Sonnen, while he himself had an injury. He subbed Hendo in round 2.
How is that enough evidence that he has a weakness against wrestlers?

The only wrestler Anderson has had trouble with was a roided Sonnen, while he himself had an injury. He subbed Hendo in round 2.
How is that enough evidence that he has a weakness against wrestlers?

If you didn't see the first round of the Hendo fight he got taken down, and controlled. Then Hendo acting big and tough tried standing with Anderson. I also like how you say Sonnen roided which is completely ignorant. The ONLY thing that was released was Sonnen had high testosterone levels. There is more to the story than you know. Not to mention Silva has only faced two wrestlers who each took him down, and controlled him.

Now you say GSP has a weakness standing. Nah not really buddy. Sure he doesn't have the power of most, but his technique is great, and he uses his striking to set up takedowns. Finishing ability has nothing to do with your skill as a fighter. He completely DOMINATES every opponent he faces for five rounds. He doesn't just lay on top of them. He switches to side control, and mount with ease. Not to mention GSP outstruck the person who was considered the most dangerous striker in the division in Thiago Alves.

Seriously, why doesn't someone ask Jon Fitch if GSP can strike. His face looked like hamburger meat.

Oh, and this finishing ability that you're talking about with Anderson...until the Sonnen fight Anderson was the world's most boring decision fest at middleweight. Had Coté not injured himself, I'm betting that would have been a decision, too. It was certainly headed that way.

Anderson, much like all Black House fighters with the exception of Machida and Aldo, have problems with wrestlers. Hendo switched gamplans like an idiot between rounds one and two and that's what did him in. Most people aren't going to win a striking war with Silva.

I truly believe GSP would dominate Silva if they fought tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back