• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Greatest Unexpected Superstars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

THEpapachamp

YOUR POST IS GONNA GET GOT!!!
Now we all have our favorite wrestlers, we all have our favorites that COULD of been superstars, we all know the people WWE or TNA or ROH bring in and plan to make a star or even superstar.

But which Professional Wrestlers became Superstars or Legends of the ring and you never expected it would happen when you first saw them?

Who in your eyes wasn't worthy of being a star but became one?

Batista. The roided up godzilla wasn't talented on the mic nor in the ring, didn't seem like he would be anything more than just a member of Evolution. But then apparently they did that whole ruse angle with Batista, HHH, Flair & Orton on the Raw Chris Benoit was GM'ing after Survivor Series 04 and suprisingly it got Batista over huge which I don't think WWE expected or planned on since they were planning on having Orton vs. HHH at WM 21. What a lucky bastard. Just cause of that one angle, he got over big time & received a quick push from it. Had it not happened, he would've been a future endeavour a long time ago.

The Miz was the most irritating person to ever grace a professional wrestling ring when he showed up on Smackdown and began acting as the host.

He used to wear that stupid hat and he used to have that stupid hairstyle. He was the biggest looking douche I had seen at that point and when he began to wrestle I hated him even more. The whole thing was idiotic, I used to enjoy when John Layfield took the piss out of him. Hosting shit, hosting Diva Search. If you liked The Miz back then, fuck you!

It was only when he began calling out Cena that I enjoyed his work. He showed he could talk on the microphone, got his name out there, he began to improve as a wrestler, got a new look. The dude just did well so as far as I'm concerned, he went from nothing to something. To eventually the WWE Champion.

Cena in his first match against Angle I throught Angle would turn him over and that would be the end of him but look at him now 9 years later he is a 8x wwe champion and the face of the company

The Miz - The guy was horrible when he first came into the company. I wasn't watching WWE at the time, at the time I stopped watching it a few years back, but I did re-watch some of his early matches/debut promo on YouTube and man this guy was a nobody. He came in because he was a reality star and WWE figured, lets capitalize on that for a little then get rid of him. Now not only is he one of the best talkers in the company but a former WWE Champion and will be one of the people to lead the next generation of the WWE.

The easy answer has to be John Bradshaw Layfield. He was a tag wrestler or glorified jobber for his entire career, one with no truly memorable moments or accolodes. He is no technical wizard in the ring, his character was pretty one dimensional, and he was even a great talker on the microphone. Yet, through the strangest of circumstances, he ends up being the longest reigning Smackdown Champion of all time.

...and I thought my jokes were bad.

Mick Foley is a very deserving superstar but you have to admit a very unlikely one.

With his unnappealing look, limited moveset and missing ear, Foley looked nothing like how a WWE superstar was expected to look, even in the attitude era. He came into the company as the twisted, demented Mankind character after spending years ripping his body to shreds all over the world, and the gimmick never screamed "future champion".

However, sometimes the greatest success stories happen unexpectedly, and over time Foley became more and more popular with the fans and the Mankind character gradually changed from a disturbed shaking persona to the goofier, fan-friendly, sock-wearing Mankind that the fans fell in love with. The sheer fan support for Foley led to him being pushed to the top of the company and he ended up with 3 World Title reigns.

Ever since, any Foley appearance on a WWE card is guaranteed to get a big pop, his spell as Commissioner was great, and his occasional return matches (vs Orton, vs Flair and vs Funk/Dreamer) were all very well received.

Foley is still regarded as a hero to WWE fans and a man worthy of being a champion. I agree, but you have to admit it was a very unexpected rags-to-riches success story.

FOLEY IS GOD

DDP. I don't think he was even a full time wrestler until he was in this 30s. Was kinda awkward at first, but by his prime he knew how to work a crowd and could sell his ass off.

The Rock- I say this because the fans hated him when he debuted as a face. Most people saw him as wasted space until his gimmick changed.

Probably the Miz. I've enjoyed his work for years, but I never thought he'd have the success he has: all the titles, awesome theme song, all the publicity. Good on him. He deserves it.

Tyler Black... In IWA-MS, he was put with this Merrick Braves guy I think and they were this tag team that loved to Mosh before matches... I don't know what, but I never saw this guy as being anything in wrestling. And then years later, he became one of ROH's biggest names and is currently being groomed for WWE success.

Another one is Mr. Kennedy/Anderson. When he came in on Smackdown, I figured that he would be nothing more than a very talented mid-carder who was in the spotlight every once in a while. But then, he managed to win MITB and the name/legacy that he would go on to have in wrestling would be and will be something nobody soon forgets.

And last but not least, The Miz. Like seriously, this dude came completely out of left field. When he was on Smackdown as the host or the Diva Search host, I didn't know who he was nor did I care. But then, he went to ECW... when it was good. He started to get some good matches in and he had the usual 5-0 undefeated streak, and then he was given a chance to team with Jo-Mo... and from there, the world found out just how great he would be at carrying someone on his back to success. Miz busted his ass off to get where he is, and in today's wrestling world, you'll be lucky to ever see that happen again.

I have to go with the Miz..When he first joined WWE he was plain annoying..Now he is a former champion, has beaten Cena in the main event at 'Mania.
Also I never thought that Edge would be such a big name.For about the first ten years of his career he was a mid carder.But after the first MiTB, he became a multi-time champion and was the a legit main event guy for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back