Greatest U.S.-born hockey palyer of all-time?

Who is the greatest U.S.-born hockey player of all-time?

• Jeremy Roenick

• Rod Langway

• Frank Brimsek

• Chris Chelios

• Phil Housley

• Joe Mullen

• Brian Leetch

• Mike Richter

• Bret Hull

• Mike Modano

• Pat LaFontaine

• Other (please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
With the official retirement announcement from Chris Chelios expected to come down today, it got me thinking as to whether or not the claims he is the "greatest U.S.-born hockey player" of all-time are accurate or not.

Granted, Chris played longer than any other American in the NHL, finishing his astounding career with 1651 games played over 27 years, but who could ever forget the accomplishments of guys like Jeremy Roenick, Phil Housley, Joe Mullen and Mike Modano among others?

Decide amongst yourselves – who is the greatest U.S.-born hockey player of all-time?

My vote would go to Brett Hull (almost said Hart lolwut) mainly because he was a favourite of mine back when I was little. Plus he was a detroit red-wing, just personal preference but all in all he was an amazing player even somewhat leading up to his retirement.

My vote has to go to Mike Modano. he leads all U.S. born players in points and to me still has his scoring touch. He is late into his career now and might just have 1 season of hockey left in him but it will be interesting to see what he does for Detroit. Modano has always been a frequent point producer and is a solid point producer.

Modano to me is the best U.S born hockey player but with up and comers like Pat Kane and Ryan Kesler it will be interesting to see what the future holds. Modano 1359 points will be hard to beat by any player but with the talent coming in these days the future could hold some real talent.

I almost had to flip a coin to decide between Chelios and Modano. It comes down to offense vs. defense. Chelios is inarguably the greatest American born defenseman. As far as defensive players go, I don't think anyone comes close. Mike Modano on the other hand is arguably the greatest American front liner (center/winger).

For me, I will go with Chelios. Not because he played until he was almost 50, but because he was a very good/almost elite defenseman until he was 40+. He often got overlooked in Detroit because of the absolutely brilliant Niklas Lidstrom, but up until about 5 years ago, which would put him at 43, Chelios was a crucial part of the Red Wings Stanley Cup Playoff runs. Even in his early 40s, Chelios was still as good as 85% of all NHL defensemen. No longer elite, but very good. The fitness level he kept himself at is legendary in hockey circles. Chelios was the Jerry Rice of the NHL in terms of physical fitness, he kept himself in insane physical fitness. The truth is, at age 48, he could probably still play on some team's 3rd defensive line, and be better than what they currently have.

I love Mike Modano, I have wanted the Red Wings to somehow obtain him for the last 15 years. I am thrilled he will be ending his career in Detroit, his home. But, I have a special place in my heart for Chris Chelios, for being a true Red Wing for the last 12 years. I am totally biased in favor of Wings players, and I freely admit that...but hyperbole aside, I think Chelios' career speaks for itself. It doesn't necessarily need a die-hard Detroit Red Wing homer like me to defend his assertion.

(Ask this question again in mid June, after Modano wins another Stanley Cup as a Red Wing, maybe my opinion will change, lol)

My vote goes to Jeremy Roenick. I think he epitomizes what it means to be a true hockey player. He could go in the corners and grind it out or he could skate right up to the slot and blast it right past you. He was also a great character off the ice. I think it's a toss up though between the big 3(Roenick, Modano and Hull) even though Hull is essentially a Canadian.

I think its Mike Modano. When you look at the statistics, he is ranked in the top 5 of the three main scoring categories for all american born players. I think that is enough to name him the greatest American born player.

With Chelios, sure he has the defensive accomplishments and plenty of championships. He also has what I think is his greatest accomplishment, his longevity. 26 seasons is unbelievable. But in my opinion, Modano edges Chelios just ever so slightly.

If he could have stayed healthy it can be argued that Pat LaFontaine had the most talent out of any of those guys but I'd say Mike Modano gets the nod here. When it's all said and done he'll lead all US hockey players in points and he was also a great leader. One of the few US players who has not only won a cup but was the best player on his team that won it. He WAS the Stars franchise for the majority of his 20 years there and that to me gets him the nod.

I'm a Red Wing. Always have been, always will be. That's why i WANTED to say Chelios. I really really did. Not only was he one of my favorite wings of all time, but one of my favorite players as well. But in the end I went with Hull. That may not be a popular choice, I know, but it was more of the way he did things I guess. Modano is great, no doubt about it. No one can take away the fact he is one of the best ever. Happy we picked him up for what may be his last season as well. But Hull just had a way of doing things that.. I can't even explain it.. Just stood out to me. Now I may have an altered view on things, as I'm not an American, but when I saw the title of the thread, Hull's name was the first that popped into my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back