Greatest Star of the 90s?

Chill

Championship Contender
Ok so I just got finished shifting through the 'Greatest Stars of the 90s' DVD and it felt like a great trip down memory lane. But it got me thinking, who was the greatest star of the 90s?? The DVD covers most of the major names from Shawn Micheals to Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan to Steve Austin and countless others...

My personal pick would be Sting. I've always thought he was the total package (sorry Lex) but he had charisma, was exciting in the ring and had a great character, he was arguably one of if not WCW's most popular star during the nineties. Sting was my absolute favourite back then and I would have taken him over the Austins, Rocks, Michaels any day...

So what does everyone else think?? Who was the greatest star of the 90s for you??

(I know this topic covers people from other promotions but I've put it in the WWE section as the DVD is a WWE release)

I like this thread. I was thinking about starting one about the same subject, since I recently watched the same DVD.

I believe the "Greatest Stars of the 90's" DVD was a very good glimpse into (arguably) the greatest decade in the history of professional wrestling. The 90's produced incredible stables like the nWo and DX, incredible superstars like the ones showcased in the DVD, and a battle between three national wrestling companies. But, I know the question asked by Chill has to do with who I believe is the greatest wrestler of the 1990's... man, that's a tough one.

I've been criticized for this by many, but my favorite all-time wrestler is Owen Hart. I had never seen a superstar that I could relate to as much as him. He was very athletic and skilled in the ring. He always found a way to make me laugh hysterically, either when he would raise his fists in the air and let off one of his infamous WOOO's or when he would make funny faces in the ring during his matches. I had just begun training for my (short-lived) pro-wrestling career and I wanted to mimic my antics and in-ring moveset to be just like his.

Back in the early 90's, his feud with Bret Hart was the most compelling storyline that I had ever seen in pro-wrestling history (once again, since I could relate to it so much at the time). I don't think a sibling rivalry storyline could have been pulled off any better. The promos cut by both Bret and Owen were very emotional, the build-up was predictable but still shocking and incredible, and their matches speak for themselves... classics. The storyline made you laugh at Owen, hate Owen, but most of all, it made you RESPECT Owen.

Granted, as the 90's went on, his storylines and character began to plateau and fizzle. But everyone knew in their hearts that it was only a matter of time before he would resurge as a main-event heel and a contender for the WWE title. Unfortunately, his life was cut short and we never got to see him take on that opportunity.

But the one thing that sticks out in my mind about the DVD was a comment that Triple H made about him... "He never even scratched the surface of how good he really was." I know there are TONS of Triple H haters out there, but I think that even those haters can respect what HHH has done for this business and how great of a superstar he is on all levels. The man knows the business inside, outside, and backwards, and is never one to just dish out compliments like that about another wrestler. If he publicly makes a statement like that, I believe it speaks VOLUMES about Owen Hart, and I couldn't agree more.

But, as much as I love Owen, I have to be true to this thread and answer the question correctly. Chill asked who I believe was the GREATEST star of the 90's... not my favorite. In my opinion, (even though he's not even near the top of my list as one of my favorite wrestlers) that person is none other than "Stone Cold" Steve Austin.

Austin revolutionized the industry. No one in the history of professional wrestling had greater drawing power, sold more merchandise, or brought the sport of professional wrestling into the mainstream as much as he did. (Many people are going to disagree with me and claim that Hulk Hogan brought pro-wrestling into the mainstream, and I couldnt agree more. But, in terms of numbers in the 1990's ALONE, no one can touch the bar that SCSA raised.) More fans related to his character and he is one of (if not THE) biggest reason why the WWE triumphed at the end of the Monday Night Wars. His feuds with the Rock, Bret Hart and Vince McMahon will go down in history as some of the greatest storylines to ever be used in the sport. Hell, his catch phrases are still used by people that don't even WATCH wrestling anymore!

Prior to SCSA, wrestlers gained respect from the viewing audience as babyfaces for being model-citizens. The man wasn't a baby-kisser... he was a hell-raiser. He was fearless. EVERY working stiff in this world could relate to him. He realized all of their dreams by looking his boss in the eyes, sticking up his middle fingers, and basically saying "Fuck you, pal. I do what I want, where I want, whenever I want." Who wouldn't want to do that to their boss?!?!? Screw 90210... Stone Cold vs. McMahon was some of the most compelling television that people had ever seen.

Chill, I can definitely see why your choice is Sting. But, in my opinion, Sting's legacy needs to be stretched over the span of three decades in order to truly view him as an icon. Stone Cold only needs the 1990's. That's why even though he may not necessarily be the greatest superstar of all-time, he was definitely the greatest superstar of the 1990's.

It's hard to argue against Stone Cold Steve Austin for being the greatest star of the '90s. His catch phrases, merchandise, his feud with Vince McMahon, crowd reaction, charisma and match quality really was a phenomenal package. The moment you heard that glass breaking during his entrance, the crowd would whip into a bonafide frenzy. Not many other wrestlers during that time period could say they connected with the crowd in the same way that Austin did and he did a HUGE amount of business for the WWE.

Dare I say it, but I am pretty sure he, along with the Rock, was hugely responsible for wrestling being as recognized and mainstream as it was during the "Attitude" era of WWE which helped catapult them ahead in the ratings war.

Its very hard to answer this one...I mean on one hand you have Stone Cold which was the companies biggest draw for fans, merchandise, etc...You can also link the Rock in there too...But for me it has to be

Shawn Michaels...When guys starting leaving for WCW..Michaels put on some great matches and carried the company on his back,, From 1990- 1993 i would give the nod to Bret Hart...93-98 Shawn Michaels...Then 98-00 would have to be Stone Cold. .....Im just saying

:jason:

with out a doubt stone cold steve austin.. he revolutionised the business and took it to a whole new level.. but that being said he could not of been succesfull as he was if it wasn't for the rock or vince.. his feuds with those 2 made him into the greatest of all time.. that being said nothing got the crowd going as much as breaking glass and the toughest SOB walking down the ramp

hmm nice thread but I'll go with... BRET "THE HITMAN" HART, the dudes a true Candian hero! He carried the WWF on his back from 1992-1997 and made a huge splash on WCW becoming a 4 time U.S champ (when it meant something) and 2 time WCW World champ! and he put ove rA LOT of legendary wrestlers like Steve Austin, HBK, and Owen Hart!
So my pick is Bret "The Hitman" Hart!

To me, the 90's was the golden era for wrestling. The WWF was carried by Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin, then towards the end the Rock and HHH. We all know what WCW had. The matches the WWF put on to cpmpete withe the WCW's stealing star power were second to none. Its sad to think of what great program's Bret and Shawn could have had, but personal issues and egos got in the way. They were my two favorites, along with Owen Hart.

for me it had to be goldust, xpac, bad ass billy gun, and owen hart. They were awalys the guys who made the show intresting in the long streach till the main event and for some reason I had awalys liked the mid card better then the main event because I hate being forced who to like which I feel WWF/E has awalys done. As for the greatest of the 90's in general I would have to say hands down Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold, and Rock. All three of these men had brought massive rating spikes to their respective product so in one way you can't deny the power of these three men in the 90's. Even though none of these 3 I concider faviorites I still respect all these 3 done for the business in the 90's

The 90's was definately the most meaningful decade in the history of professional wrestling. Each company was going through a transition peiod. The WCW with its new ownership and the wwe with the attitude era. Its definately the decade that transended wrestling to what it is today. In saying that my "superstar of the 90's" would be Steve Austin. More merchandising, more attitude, Steve Austin was the whole package and he is still glorfied in the wrestling world today.

Wait a minute... everyone is picking more than one person. The question was:

who was the greatest star of the 90s??

They're asking for ONE person. It's easy to name more than one. The idea behind this is to put one name ahead of the rest.

NOW let's hear your answers LOL.

I have to agree with Chill 100%! Sting has always been my all time favorite wrestler and I think he was definately the best there was in the 1990's. I really think that if it wasn't for Sting, the NWO wouldn't have had as great of a run as they did. Don't get me wrong, the NWO would have done fine without having to feud with Sting but having that feud with Sting just made the invasion angle a lot more credible. All the other guys they were feuding with like, Macho, Luger and Flair were all from the WWF and had just jumped ship. Sting was the WCW original who was standing up to them and if not for Sting, the NWO would have had no legit competition. That's why I believe that Sting was the best wrestler of the 1990's!

One of my personal favorites and IMO the greatest star of the 90's, Mick Foley.

Foley was to me, the greatest star of the 90's because being born in 91' I spent the 90's as a little kid,and as a little kid there was nothing I loved more then violence and a good laugh.I got both of those from Foley on a regular basis and was rarely disappointed when ever Foley was on the screen. Whether he was getting knocked senseless with chair shots, getting thrown from crazy heights, making us all laugh with his comedy bits, or cutting promos, he was great at it all and really put his body through hell to entertain us. I met him at a autograph sighing in Atlanta, GA one time and he was very friendly and just seemed to be a great guy so that probably makes me a little biased but I stand by my claim that Mick Foley in all of his forms was the greatest star of the 90's.

Its very hard to answer this one...I mean on one hand you have Stone Cold which was the companies biggest draw for fans, merchandise, etc...You can also link the Rock in there too...But for me it has to be

Shawn Michaels...When guys starting leaving for WCW..Michaels put on some great matches and carried the company on his back,, From 1990- 1993 i would give the nod to Bret Hart...93-98 Shawn Michaels...Then 98-00 would have to be Stone Cold. .....Im just saying

:jason:

Umm no you're wrong ... HBK did NOT carry the WWF on his back. There was other wrestlers like The Undertaker & Bret Hart. HBK just refused to pass the belt back.

The only wrestler that was a main event was The Undertaker from 1991-2000.

Bret was somewhat a main event around 92-93 to 97
Shawn didn't become a main eventer til 1994 -1996. Oh BTW, it was Bret Hart that gave him the hue rub too.

With that being said I'm gonna have to say that either The Undertaker or Stone Cold Steve Austin... 1 of those 2 get my pick as the Greatest wrestler of the 90's.

Y'No Chill, I agree with you, Sting was the real deal, he was a multi time WCW Champ, he had some great feuds with Hogan,Luger,and even Savage i think. He was part of arguably the greatest faction of all time, the nWo, and lets not forget, he was like the John Cena of WCW, he sold more merchandise then anybody. Great thread Chill

Well during the 90s and you talk about WWE you cant go past guys like Austin The Rock Flair HHH Sting NWO HBK Taker i mean these guys were the elite in the WWF and WCW who everyone knew of and had heard about so i guess to say who was the biggest i mean you cant go past Austin

my pick for the greatsest star of the 90s is kane i know he only won the title for 24 hours but he dominated the wwf when he debuted and when he debut it was one of the greatest i mean he was a main eventer when he started he did not draw money like austin did but he sure drawn a crowd and his storyline back then was my favorite and kane now is getting stale but he sure is great and kane would be world champion if vinnie mac would not use him for crappy story lines

My obvious choice would be none other than Stone Cold. I loved his fueds with Vince, The Rock and the Corporate Ministry.

All of the SCSA and Vince McMahon incidents were gold

His feud with the Rock really helped put WWF/E on the map. ; I really enjoyed watching Stone Cold throw the Intercontinental Title into the river. Another moment is when Austin 3:16 came up on Rock's beeper and The Rock was freaking out. His expression was priceless.

The Corporate Ministry feud was really good as well. My favorite moment with them is when the Undertaker "kidnapped" Stephanie and was going to marry her before Austin came out and defeated the Ministry.

All of these help to translate the 90s as the true "Golden Era" of the wrestling industry in my opinion

Before I get into the debate of who is the greatest superstar of the 1990's I want to point out a few things missing in the DVD. in the greatest superstars of the 1990's the only time you point out ECW is Paul Heyman? The WWE stayed kinda one sided by only slating the top stars of its biggest rival WCW but forgot about the cult following of extremists that in the end helped build the WWE a bit bigger, and this is why my pick is a man not featured on the DVD it has to be Mr. Pay Per View Rob Van Dam.

I think that the WWE in the 90's was 2 separate eras think about it you have the "New Generation WWF" then that "Attitude Era" . Both different in there own ways I'd say

HBK is the greatest superstar of WWF New Generation

and

Stone Cold Steve Austin is the Greatest star of the "Attitude Era"..

Thanks

The only problem i have with people mentioning SCSA is that yes he was the best ever in drawing power, merchandise, yada yada..but the thing is that he was considered the best and on top for only about a year and a half. 1998 to late 1999. And so if we are talking about the greatest star of the 90's i think it should be a person that had an impact throughout the decade, not just the last couple years. So with that said, I believe it would have to be Sting. While UT was wasting his time with Ultimate Warrior and Giant Gonzalez, Sting was feuding with the likes of Flair and Steamboat, setting the table up for the ratings storm that would lead the WCW to be the premier wrestling company. Austin was still basically a no name at that point and HBK was still a rocker. Sting also made sure to take on all those that jumped to the wcw in the mid 90's such as guys like Jake Roberts, Lex Luger, Vader, and The British Bulldog. He was also great in tag team matches as well, by teaming with Hogan, Luger, and even Booker T for a bit and fueding with some of the greatest tag teams ever like Harlem Heat and the Steiner Brothers. By 1996 the nwo thing started and everyone knows the rest..

so yeah. STING! lol

Bill Goldberg was robbed and not mention at all. How can you have Yoko,Owen but not Goldberg? Sorry Owen fans but Goldberg deserve to be on there over him. His impact was bigger.

Bill Goldberg was robbed and not mention at all. How can you have Yoko,Owen but not Goldberg?

Because Goldberg sucked and was a One Trick Pony. The only person who deserved to be on that DVD that wasn't was Diamond Dallas Page.

Anyway, I remember a thread in this forum asking who was the greatest wrestler of the 90’s and I gave perhaps my longest post ever in that thread with my reasons as to why I felt Shawn Michaels was the greatest wrestler of that Era. But biggest star?

Listen.... world wide, it's Austin, but you know what? Fuck him. Where I'm from, the south, it was the Stinger, baby.

People loved him when the nineties started, and people loved him when the nineties were over. It didn't matter if he was a bleach blonde surfer, or a dark, quiet, black & white Crow figure... the fans stayed with him that entire time and I didn't know one person whose favorite wrestler wasn't Sting at the time. And when wrestling would come up in high school, I swear to God I heard, "I quit watching when Sting left" more then anything else. The guy was legendary down here and everyone loved him. It didn't matter how old you were, your sex... the guy was fucking over with the people that ENTIRE decade and no one else can claim that.

Goldberg was a bigger draw than everybody on the list except Austin,Rock and Hogan during that decade. THAT's A FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Meltzer posted numbers a while back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back