Greatest Screwjob in Music or Movies

D-Man

Gone but never forgotten.
I created a thread earlier about the greatest movies to never win a major award. I inputted my answer and then jmt225 replied with his insight. However, his post sprung another idea into my brain. Since his choice was a result of a miscarriage of justice in the Academy Awards, I figured I should make another thread that showcases those kinds of events.

Therefore, here is my topic...

In music and movies, there are award shows. They go hand-in-hand. Most of the time, the best movie/musician/musical group/song wins the award and most people agree on them. However, there are times when a specific movie/band/musician/song gets completely screwed by someone that we feel is, for lack of a better word, undeserving of the award. I'm sure we all have our opinions on that. So, why not voice them here.

My choice would be:

For those who don't know, 1989 was the first year that "Best Heavy Metal Album" category was added to the Grammy's. The nominees were AC/DC, Iggy Pop, Jane's Addiction, Jethro Tull and Metallica. Metallica had basically cornered the market at the time when they released "...And Justice For All" or so they thought. When the winner was announced, the LAST name anyone thought they would hear was Jethro fucking Tull and his awful flute-playing. However, Tull won the award.

I'm not a HUGE fan of Metallica but I know who they are, what they've done, and how great their music has been, especially in the late 1980's when they begun their conquest to take over the world. How, in the name of BLUE FUCK, did Jethro Tull beat them out? I guess we'll never know the answer.

Now it's your turn. In music or movies, (not both; if you have more than one choice then make a separate post) who do you think was the recipient of the biggest screwjob in awards history?

I remember reading an article related to this some months back and I can recall one from it, which I thought was the Mother of all Travesties

Best Rock Song 1992
:
Nirvana's Smells like Teens Spirit had spread across the Globe like wildfire. Thrust the grunge movement from the pits to the stadiums ..
Basically started a cultural revolution but still wasn't good enough for the grammys.

That prize went to an acoustic, stripped down version of Derek and Dominoes' Layla.

Now I dig Clapton I really do and think his work is brilliant, (also because I play bass in a blues band) but really this did not deserve Best Rock Song, by any stretch of the imagination!!!

Brilliant call on the Jethro Tull / Metallica deal, D-Man.

I don't know who EVER classified Tull as "Heavy Metal." I'm a Tull fan (and I like the fluting, dammit!) but they are so far from Metal it isn't even funny. They shouldn't have been nominated at all.

Brilliant call on the Jethro Tull / Metallica deal, D-Man.

I don't know who EVER classified Tull as "Heavy Metal." I'm a Tull fan (and I like the fluting, dammit!) but they are so far from Metal it isn't even funny. They shouldn't have been nominated at all.

You've got to remember, this (these) category(ies) were in their infantile stages back then. Heavy Metal was basically anything that wasn't pop, country, jazz, folk or R&B. So Tull barely fit into the category. Plus, this was during a time when censorship was in full effect so the Grammy board's interests were in preserving music that didn't promote violence, excessive behavior (that the 80's were well-know for) and promiscuity. But in return, they got the biggest backlash that they ever expected.

I am not a huge Metallica fan, but I know enough and saw from "Some Kind Of Monster" that I consider the Tull incident a little bit of Karma for Lars shitting on Dave Mustaine the way he did... I never saw a bandmate look so uncomfortable for firing someone than that moment... fair play, Megadeth were big enough to prove Mustaine was not an ass and Hammett sure worked out but... I won't shed tears for Metallica on the 1989 "screwjob"...

If there is one I can add from movies, it's Brad Pitt not winning Best Actor for Seven... the then Head of the Academy blatantly admitted he won his 12 Monkeys Best Supporting actor that year as the Academy "could not allow a movie of that tone to win..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back