Great Horror Films You May Not Have Watched

Wally Dangerously

Living Room Champion
It's a rainy, October afternoon, and nothing puts me in a better mood to talk watch and talk about horror films.

Here are a few horror films that I believe are great and that many of you may not have watched. I'd like to create some discussion about these films and get some recommendations on great horror films you've seen that may not have gotten a lot of public attention. Apologies in advance to The Shape, who has probably reviewed all of these films.

Released in 1997, this film garnered moderate box office numbers.

In the future (circa 2047), a group of soldiers and scientists is sent on a mission to the spaceship Event Horizon, which lost contact with headquarters while orbiting Neptune years ago. Upon arriving, the team learns that one their members has an insidious intent that involves opening a dimensional portal to absolute terror.

This film has many terrifying scenes, but all I have to say is: Captain's Log. Enough said.

Released in 1987, this film is one of my favorites from John Carpenter, but hardly anyone I know has seen it.

After a priest from a secret, ancient order dies, a canister containing an evil essence is discovered in the basement of a closed Los Angeles church. A team of scientists is sent in, with the guidance of a priest, to uncover the secret of the vessel. Can the team of grad students uncover the deadly secret of the canister before its evil is unleashed?

Being raised in a religious background, horror films based on religion have always given me the creeps. Although somewhat hokey toward the end, this film is filled with a lot of nerdy scientific and religious philosophy that satisfies the curiosity of a lot of viewers. The film also includes a haunting score that can only be done by John Carpenter.

Released in 1975, this film follows two married couples on their way to a ski vacation location in Coloradao. Stopping for rest in their RV somewhere in Texas, Peter Fonda and Warren Oates (Sgt. Hulka from Stripes) witness a Satanic sacrifice in the middle of the desert and are discovered by the participants. A thrilling chase ensues.

I love 70's Grindhouse horror films!

Forget the remake.

Released in 1973. A policeman travels to a reclusive island on a case to find a missing girl. The policeman quickly discovers that the island is inhabited by a pagan cult.

I can't give anything else away. I can only say that the ending is truly one of the most horrifying scenes I've ever watched.

If you've seen these films, what do you think?

Are there any less well-known horror films from the past or present that you would recommend?

Happy Halloween.

Night Of The Demons 1988

Night-of-the-Demons-bluray-cover-600x753.jpg

Scream Factory recently released the Blu-Ray/DVD combo pack collector's edition, and Night Of The Demons 1988 is a true gem. Night Of The Demons 1988 features the perfect blend of nasty gore, campy humor, spooky horror, and the soundtrack is superb. If you're a fan of 80's horror, Night Of The Demons 1988 is a must-see film, easily. Plus, the intro is one of my all-time favorites, and the music really pulls everything together:

[YOUTUBE]ClZbHLD5Eb4[/YOUTUBE]

[REC] 2 2009

41iNZ0L1SgL.jpg

Overall, I'm not a big fan of the found-footage sub genre, but [REC] is a rare exception. [REC] 2 is one of the rare sequels that surpasses the original for quality. Its an intense and suspenseful nail-biter, featuring brutal violence and bloody gore, and the cliffhanger at the end is truly shocking.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the 2007 original. It's a good film, but the 2007 film set the bar high. More often than not, surpassing expectations for the original film in any film series is a rarity, but [REC] 2 knocks it out of the park, and it's an impressive feat that deserves recognition.

Although, I'll say this, if you enjoy the first two [REC] films, you should avoid [REC] 3: Genesis at all costs. They completely drop the found-footage POV halfway through the movie, and Genesis features one of the most wimpy protagonists (the husband) you'll ever see. To make matters worse, the majority of early reviews for [REC] 4: Apocalypse are negative, and I've seen a fair amount of "boring" and "repetitive" complaints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back