• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Grade The Reign: The Revival As NXT Tag Team Champions

The Revival As NXT Tag Team Champions

• A+: As Close To Perfect As It's Possible To Be

• A: Exceptional Quality

• A-: Amazing

• B+: Extremely Good

• B: Very Solid

• B-: Pretty Good

• C+: Pretty Decent, Though Not Particularly Memorable

• C: Pretty Average

• C-: Barely Worth Giving Her The Title

• D+: Disappointing

• D: A Waste Of Time

• Never Have Even Been Considered For Champion

• F: Epic Failure From Top To Bottom

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Along with the Women's Championship, last night's TakeOver event in Dallas saw the 162 day run of Dash & Dawson, AKA The Revival, come to an end at the hands of Jason Jordan & Chad Gable, AKA American Revival. It was a highly energetic match with the crowd being totally invested in everything that went on and both teams just functioned together almost perfectly.

The Revival won the titles during the October 22, 2015 tapings of NXT from the Vaudevillains and had a very good run as champs, at least in my eyes. Dash & Dawson weren't the most overly charismatic champions, they weren't boring at all but, rather, like their name suggested, they put me in mind of some of the more old school heel tag teams of different eras. They're very smooth and fluid with a great sense of timing; they're great on the mat, know how to brawl and knew how to tweak certain little things to generate heat. They had strong matches against the Vaudevillains and especially against Enzo Amore and Colin Cassady; their match at Roadblock kicked the show off in a highly energetic way and they're really able to mesh their styles well with those of other teams. Usually, whenever someone drops a title in NXT, it's a sign that they're heading to the main roster, or that's how it's been for the past few years, but I don't see Dash & Dawson heading that way just yet.

I gave them a B - very solid. Both guys Dash and Dawson, on their own would fade into the woodwork, together though they make one hell of a team. Both are very good in the ring and work well together, at times you almost can't tell which one is which. Very fluid in their tags and a great heel team, wouldn't work as much as a face team.

They do lack one thing though and that is the charisma factor. Not that they should be as flamboyant as let's say a Nakamura type, but at least Vince won't be able to turn them into a joke like he did with the Ascension. Very old school and should be a good addition to the main roster, where they will start at the bottom and work their way up.

Dash and Dawson really came out of nowhere. Not unlike Blake and Murphey, their tag title win came as a bit of a shock because up until that point, they had largely been working as a jobber tag. Unlike Blake and Murphey however, the Revival was able to step up and solidify themselves as one of NXT's top tag teams throughout their reign. It didn't hurt that they had such great babyface teams like Enzo/Cass and AA to work off of either.

These guys got over largely because they're so proficient at working the old-school style in a way that appeals to a large portion of the audience. I would liken them to teams like The Brainbusters and The Miracle Violence Connection, two of my favorite teams of all time no less. I think they have the chops to be the anchors of the tag division going forward, I really don't see these two going off on their own ANY time soon.

Good first title run, I'd give it a B+ considering they largely exceeded expectations.

Growing up I was a big fan of tag team wrestling, especially the heel tandems. The Revival were about as close to the Brainbusters as you're going to get. I loved the throwback to 80s and early 90s tag team work.

As far as grading goes I'd say they've probably been the most memorable NXT tag champs thus far, so you'd have to give them at least a B+. They gave the titles meaning. The promos they cut were more than passable, and they always hit the nail on the head when it came to getting the point across. They got heat, and their shit looked believable. The biggest thing is they made the belts feel important, and I personally loved their ring walk where they'd clash the belts together like they were mugs of beer. Good stuff. Definitely a B+ tag team that I'd like to see have multiple reigns throughout their tenure.

I enjoyed there work, they really got the job done and played their role fantastically.

I didnt care for them at first, I felt like they were really generic, their personalities kind of shone through (I still can't tell you which ones Dash or Dawson without looking it up)

The legitimacy they brought to the belts was probably their greatest accomplishment, they always made a good point to show off that they were better than their competition before and after every title defense.

I went B+, I enjoyed it overall and I think they elevated the entire division while carrying them.

I won't deny they are good workers, and they put on a great match with American Alpha at Takeover, but I find their whole run incredibly boring. It's not really a knock on them but I just don't think the Brain Busters 2.0 works in 2016.

If they had been doing this in Georgia in the mid '80s they'd be over as hell, but when Enzo & Cass, American Alpha, The Vaudvillians, etc. are all waiting in the wings, I can't imagine there is much these guys could've done differently to make me like their run more, they just don't have enough personality or charisma for me.

I voted extremely good. B+. Dash and Dawson are a great throwback tag team that could easily fit right in the 1980's, I love this team. It's The Brainbusters 2.0 and these guys are like TWO Arn Anderson's going at it as a team. Both guys remind me of Arn in their fighting style and brilliant heel tag tactics, even right down to the way they take damage/sell as well. Easy Main Roster team when the time comes.

I gave it a B+, which turned out to be the most popular option. I really did enjoy this title reign, but I couldn't describe it as "Amazing". The Revival did have a series of great matches with Enzo and Cass in London and at Roadblock (and at a live event I was at!) as well as a very good match where they won the title and an excellent match with American Alpha. Furthermore, they really brought a kind of character around that wrestling needs - a classic, old school heel. Part of the fun with Dash and Dawson is seeing exactly how they'll cheat this time, and they keep coming up with fun new ways to do so.

They really surprised me with how much I wound up enjoying their work. They came a little out of nowhere, and I really did want to see more of the Vaudevillains at the time the Revival won, but they definitely surpassed expectations. I think they could go to the main roster right now, frankly - they've got all the tools. They strike me as a team that long term, might need a manager. I'd love to see Paul Heyman talk for these guys. That could be a recipe for mammoth success in the tag team division.

I'd give them a B. A very good reign for what was completely unexpected.

Off topic, gees WWE tag team wrestling is looking solid.

The New Day, Usos, Dudleyz, The Ascension, Los Matadores, The Lucha Dragons, the Wyatts

The proposed R-Truth/Goldust, League of Nations pairing, Social Outcasts pairing,

The Vaudevillians, Enzo & Cass, The Revival, American Alpha, Blake & Murphy, Hype Bros.

I gave The Revival's reign an A-. Like others have said, Dash and Dawson's run came completely out of nowhere, but they definitely took their opportunity and sprinted with it. The Revival became one of the main reasons I tuned into NXT. They work perfectly as a tag team, and their rough and rugged style suits them perfectly.

The Revival's reign also came at a time when NXT's tag team division was really on the upswing. Unlike past champions who had no one to work with -- cough The Asencion cough -- Dash and Dawson led the way and provided a cornerstone for the division as it grew into what it has become with several tag teams who could be believable champions. And The Revival had great matches with most of them along the way.

The Revival had an incredible run, and I'm honestly a little sad to see it end, but I think American Alpha will be just as good as face champions. I just hope the The Revival don't fade too far into the background like Blake and Murphy have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back