Global Cruiserweight Series

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Off & on, there's been talk on the dirt sheets about WWE possibly adding a show devoted to cruiserweights on the WWE Network and, according to the main page, it looks like the show has finally come to fruition. The show, entitled Global Cruiserweight Series, is set to debut July 13th at 9 pm EST and the format of the show is that it looks to be some sort of tournament. The press release from Stamford states that the tournament will be compiled of 30 wrestlers that are less than 205 lbs. and that the competitors will "vie for the right to call themselves the best cruiserweight in the world."

The shows will take place at Full Sail University and July 13th is a Wednesday, so it looks like NXT will be the lead in show.

This could be an interesting concept, though it depends upon the final details and how they fit into place. This will also lead to the inevitable discussion or debate as to whether or not this means WWE will reinstate the Cruiserweight Championship, so I figured I'd go ahead and mention it first. :p

Consider me mildly intrigued.

The smaller guys typically work at a quicker pace that usually leads to exciting matches. I just hope the guys they bring in don't turn everything into a botch fest. With that quick fast paced style, it tends to lead to more mistakes. I also hope they just don't pull guys off the street. If I want to see a bunch of 170 pound guys in sweats and wife beaters try to wrestle I'll go to a local indy show.

As far as the Cruiserweight title, I could do without it. Making a title for the smaller guys always seemed to me that they were putting a cap on them, as if saying they couldn't win the big one. Plus WCW was much better with their Cruiserweight title than what WWE/F was. Meh, I guess so long as Hornswaggle doesn't come back to win the title, I'll be okay with the title coming back.

The latest little bit of information states that it'll be comprised of 32 cruiserweights instead of 30 and that WWE is "looking across the world" to fill spots for the tourney.

Triple H spoke to PWInsider.com stating:

"I'm excited about this. I really am. It's a really great opportunity for us to tap into what's a really exciting talent pool. I believe, sort of an underutilized talent pool. There are just numerous, numerous, numerous Cruiserweights around the world that are great performers that have not fully had the opportunity to be seen around the world and that's something that hopefully, WWE can give them."

As to the talents themselves, Trips had this to say:

"I would say the vast majority of talents on the series will be non-contracted or long-term contracted WWE talents. We haven't finalized the selection process, watching tapes and seeing who we want to work with and all of that. It's going to be a discovery process. Look, I want to have the best in the world. I don't want to negate anyone from that process because they are under contract to us. At the same time, I'm looking for the best in the world and the brightest around to give them a platform that they've never had. I'm certainly looking at the vast majority from being from the outside of WWE. When I say Global, I mean Global. We are recruiting from everywhere. UK, Japan, China, to find the best talent. That doesn't mean we are going to find someone everywhere, but we are really trying to turn things over and really find someone from every part of the globe to be part of this and show the world who they are and what they can do."

Based on this, the whole thing looks to be Triple H's brainchild and that gives me much, much more confidence in it as a whole. As can be seen with NXT, a good number of wrestlers who would be qualified as cruiserweights/light heavyweights/junior heavyweights have been treated quite well. After all, the guy who's considered the "face" of NXT, Finn Balor, is billed at 190 lbs., is a 3 time IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion and is probably viewed as one of the top "cruiserweights" in the world.

I've got no problem with fast paced matches as long as they're not "too" fast paced. When they get to be too fast paced, the matches are typically spotfests that tell little to no story and has little to no selling because they're too busy setting things up for the next spot. Some are into that, but I lose interest in those sort of matches pretty quickly.

i think this a really interesting concept and I think a good sign of where Triple H wants to take the WWE when he's fully in command. I think he has a far greater understanding and appreciation of what the wrestling audience wants to see these days, and that's exciting matches where it doesn't matter the size of the wrestler. While Vince is still stuck in the days of wanting his top stars to be muscle monsters (see his new pet project Braun Strowman), Triple H understands that there is a demand for more fast paced action. He's already brought in the likes of Finn Balor, Sami Zayn etc to NXT and hopefully we'll see some new up-and-coming talent get signed off the back of this Cruiserweight concept.

Now, I don't buy into a Cruiserweight belt "putting a cap" on the wrestlers. If they're good enough, over enough and it's believable. there's no reason why a Cruiserweight Champion couldn't move up to the heavyweight belt. It's a scripted show, so they can do whatever they want. It would definitely mean the random mid-card matches with Neville etc would mean something rather than just being filler.

It's interesting to ready that Triple H talks about bringing in talent from all over the world, I can't wait to see who he goes for...

I wouldn't be surprised to see a one-off Sean Waltman appearance though, being that he's a close buddy of Trips and one of the pioneers of Cruiserweight wrestling in the US. With rumours of Rey Mysterio return happening soon, could this series feature the "Littlest Big Man"? I'd like to see UK wrestlers Jack Sabre Jr and Will Ospreay given a try, and Austin Aries be entered also.

If there was anything ever in the "we have to see just how it plays out to judge the idea" category, this is it.

Everyone is leaping all over this being about an actual CW division, when it isn't the case. I think anyone with any perceptive abilities can plainly see this is a "see how much interest this generates and go from there" type of deal.

Its a really good news for me. I have been a fan of fast paced wrestling since my childhood. I loved TNA's X-Division when it consisted guys like Alex Shelley, Chris Sabin, Amazing Red, Suicide etc.

For this series, There are lots of viable options available from all over the world and I hope they get the best out of them and I am positively thinking about its whereabouts as its in the hands of Triple H who has really impressed with me with NxT.

:devil:

I would watch it. This is a fresh, new idea and I applaud WWE (even if it doesn't pan out) for trying something new. If it leads to a dedicated fourth show that focuses on wrestling only, with the high flyers, then that is a cool deal. With Raw on Monday, NXT on Wednesday and SmackDown on Friday they really should move this show to Saturday night. WWE has never had a regular, dedicated show on Saturday NIGHT. Saturday Nights Main Event was a once in awhile special event back in the day and all other wrestling shows were Saturday day programs, not live either.

I know with age often comes weight, but I hope there are some WCW veterans who can still work. I'd love to see La Parka in a WWE ring, even for a day!

I'm curious how they present this program. It's clear that wins will matter, but I wonder if it will be strict 100% wrestling or are we going to have some angles peppered through the tournament. I know Triple H is a babyface in Full Sail, but I'd love to see his buddy Syxx' work as a heel-handpicked favorite.

I hadn't really thought about it before, but it looks as if the concept of a cruiserweight, at least as far as this tourney is concerned, is a page out of the MMA book. In most MMA companies, the light heavyweight division is for wrestlers who weigh no less than 186 lbs. and no more than 205 lbs. and most cruiserweight/light heavyweight/junior heavyweight championships in pro wrestling are all over the board; most of the more well known cruiserweight/light heavyweight/junior heavyweight championships, at least among American fans, like those of the NWA, New Japan, All Japan have a limit of 220 lbs. while TNA, at times, has adopted weight limits for the X Division of 225 to 230 lbs., all those limits are well into the heavyweight range for the vast majority of contact sports.

At the same time, the rules of weight divisions is pretty much out the door in pro wrestling; I mean, there have been several IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champions 10 to 20 pounds over the "weight limit", so it won't come as a surprise if WWE isn't all that strict on a 205 lbs. weight limit; if tourney competitor happens to be 5, 10 or even 20 lbs. over, it won't really mean anything.

I hadn't really thought about it before, but it looks as if the concept of a cruiserweight, at least as far as this tourney is concerned, is a page out of the MMA book. In most MMA companies, the light heavyweight division is for wrestlers who weigh no less than 186 lbs. and no more than 205 lbs. and most cruiserweight/light heavyweight/junior heavyweight championships in pro wrestling are all over the board; most of the more well known cruiserweight/light heavyweight/junior heavyweight championships, at least among American fans, like those of the NWA, New Japan, All Japan have a limit of 220 lbs. while TNA, at times, has adopted weight limits for the X Division of 225 to 230 lbs., all those limits are well into the heavyweight range for the vast majority of contact sports.

At the same time, the rules of weight divisions is pretty much out the door in pro wrestling; I mean, there have been several IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champions 10 to 20 pounds over the "weight limit", so it won't come as a surprise if WWE isn't all that strict on a 205 lbs. weight limit; if tourney competitor happens to be 5, 10 or even 20 lbs. over, it won't really mean anything.

Yea, I doubt VERY much itll be taken with such literal seriousness without a long term serious division in place.

This will just be a Network sideshow attraction/tempature gauge featuring wrestlers who do flippy-do moves. Serious weight classes and such won't be a sticking point.

I just find it odd that they're using the term Cruiserweight when they've generally stayed away from weight classes over the past decade or so, although I don't really know what else they'd name it. Global Little Guy Series?

It sounds like a very intriguing concept and I will definitely be watching. I'm a fan of all wrestling styles so I'll have absolutely no problem getting into the fast-paced aerial spotfest style of the smaller guys. No doubt WWE is going to pick out some impressive talents. It's a very good idea all around in my opinion. Maybe they can even create a star out of the winner.

WWE has crapped far too much on Cruiserweights over the years for me to get really interested in this concept, they have this flirtation with the division every few years and thin confine it to the bin.

I can see Kalisto winning this, maybe pinning Sin Cara or Austin Aries in the finals.

The WWE has always tried to copy the best ideas of other people in professional wrestling, and this is no different. The faster paced style of professional wrestling prevalent in ROH and LU is gaining in popularity now, and contrasts directly with the WWE and NXT's much slower pace. I can see this as a low-risk attempt to get a piece of that market; if people watch it, you expand on it, if not, there's no big loss.

So I don't see the WWE treating this as some jerk-off fest; they've got something to gain in this going well.

Triple H did an interview in the past few days in which he gives a little more details about things.

"A lot of times, in the past, we've operated on 'you either work for WWE or you didn't work for WWE. I think with something like this, we're opening it up a bit more. We are going to allow these guys to come in. I'm not just trying to find the cruiserweights that are the obvious ones. I think those guys will be there, the top guys in the world. But I'm trying to find the undiscovered diamonds someplace else that will blow people's minds; someone who maybe hasn't gotten the opportunity yet to be seen. When we say 32, we're looking at every corner of the world. I have [William] Regal out there in every corner of the globe trying to find not only the ones who people are aware are the best, but others who nobody is aware of quite yet. We want to put them in this and let's see what they can do."

Trips also brings up the possibility of working with some indie promotions.

"Obviously, if someone is under contract with, say, New Japan Pro Wrestling, I don't think they are going to have the opportunity to perform in this type of tournament. Though anybody that has the opportunity, freedom and availability to do something like this with us, we are looking at working with them. I'm open to working with other groups that are out there such as Progress, Evolve, Rev Pro and places like that. They have a lot of talent they work with, but those talents have that ability to do other things. It's an opportunity to be on a platform to be seen by millions around the world and become much bigger stars in their own right. If we can use those promotions in a way that helps them as well, to me that's great. I think helping that independent undercurrent is beneficial to everybody."

Trips also talked a bit about what WWE generally looks for.

"There are people who say, 'Oh, this guy's in-ring ability,' or, 'Oh, this guy's is physically this, and that's what they look for.' We look for anything and everything. I will say to talent all the time that being a superstar is like a big puzzle. The more pieces you have, the more complete you are and the better performer you are. Some guys will become huge stars based on one or two pieces of that puzzle. It's really what people get into and gravitate towards, whether positively or negatively. Reaction is reaction. That's the one thing. People criticize John Cena for the longest time when half the place is booing him. He is the most over guy we have. He gets the biggest reaction every night, for a long period of time, and that's what this is about. Sometimes people look at Daniel Bryan as just the little guy who is really good in the ring. However, he also has a ton of personality and an engaging character and a charisma. He had a lot of things. He wasn't just a little guy who can go. People negate that. I think it's not giving the talent the credit they deserve. To just say Rey Mysterio was just a little guy or Daniel was just a little guy who was really good in the ring is really taking away from them as this great performer all around they really were or are."

How much of this is a bit of PR spin and how much is 100% genuine is anybody's guess. I will say, however, as I've said many times that Triple H just seems to have a completely different vibe than Vince McMahon. Vince doesn't seem like someone that's approachable and it seems to have more to do with his personality than his position as CEO. Triple H's comments about possibly working with indie promotions is also a huge departure from Vince as Vince is just so WWE centralized, that there is no other wrestling that exists aside from WWE, and it can put so many limits on various aspects of WWE.

Whether or not this leads to anything on the main roster, it's still highly intriguing and I think it has a big chance of succeeding if Trips & his creative team at NXT really do become the deciding factor in what goes on.

The WWE has always tried to copy the best ideas of other people in professional wrestling, and this is no different. The faster paced style of professional wrestling prevalent in ROH and LU is gaining in popularity now, and contrasts directly with the WWE and NXT's much slower pace. I can see this as a low-risk attempt to get a piece of that market; if people watch it, you expand on it, if not, there's no big loss.

So I don't see the WWE treating this as some jerk-off fest; they've got something to gain in this going well.

Indy marks should stay in the indy zone.

--

I'm intrigued by this. Mainly because I'm praying to the gods above that they can strike a deal with LU/AAA and get Jack Evans or even Teddy Hart in the tournament. I realize that they're not on everyone's list of most exciting guys anymore, but still Jack Evans using the 630 Senton [even in NXT] would get WWE fans buzzing. Also, if they are serious about getting guys people might not be too familiar with, I'd hope they snatch up John Skyler. He's a hot ticket around these parts and I believe he'd do really well if given the chance to do so. He's already been squashed on NXT before, so obviously they have contact with him.

My question is are they going 205 legit weight or 205 billed weight?

Out of the blue, I just suddenly had an idea about what the end result of this tourney could POSSIBLY be about.

I remember reading that CMLL & New Japan star La Sombra was signed to a developmental deal late last year. I also remember reading that La Sombra was said to be on WWE's radar for quite a while and that they were highly impressed with his abilities, professionalism, his work ethic and that he could speak English very well. Also, they were trying to come up with ideas to introduce La Sombra, now wrestling at NXT house shows as Manny Andrade, to WWE fans in a unique way.

Andrade is 26 years old and has been wrestling since 2003, with virtually all of that time spent in CMLL. He's about the size of Finn Balor, which is around the 6'0" and 185 to 190 pound mark. He's been CMLL World Tag Team Champion, CMLL World Trios Champion, NWA World Welterweight Champion, NWA World Historic Middleweight Champion, 2 time NWA World Historic Welterweight Champion and IWGP Intercontinental Champion.

Last I heard, while he speaks English well, he's been working on improving it quite a bit with Sarah Stock, AKA Sarita, coaching him. I have a feeling that he'll be in this tournament and will be a favorite to win it, if what I remember reading is correct and plans haven't changed.

WWE has crapped far too much on Cruiserweights over the years for me to get really interested in this concept, they have this flirtation with the division every few years and thin confine it to the bin.

A reasonable statement, yet if they've decided to go into this with a bang and prove their commitment by producing an entire series devoted to it, doubtful fans might be persuaded to give it a try. I know I would.

On the other hand, here's still another addition to WWE programming, of which there is already too damn much, imo. If the goal is to attract all new viewers, that's certainly one thing, but we know it won't end up that way; instead, if will be more of the same people.....without the heavy guys.

As always, how they produce it will make all the difference.....in other words, this hopefully belongs to Triple H.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back