• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Give me a reason to care about Abyss

j.beaner

Occasional Pre-Show
If Hogan is trying to make Abyss "The Next John Cena" then he needs to get the fans to care about Abyss. Now the only ones that really care r the TNA marks, and the anti-WWE fans. Now im a tweener, i enjoy both products. but im probably a bigger TNA fan as of late. But i watch Impact and see Hogan and AJ and Flair and Abyss cutting promos. And i just dont get Abyss. He reminds me of Mankind. he has a mix of Undertaker or Kane. and now hogans adding some Yellow and Red. now what we got out there is a sadistic, hardcore, fan friendly, Hogan endorsed monster running wild. i think hes the odd man out in this main event scene. I think they should bring in joe instead of abyss. i care for Flair, i care for aj and his phenomenal proformences, i care for hogan, but i just dont really care about Abyss. I think Hogan needs to get me (somehow) to care about Abyss

am i the only one?

I can't stand Abyss, his character is painful to watch. The whole Hogan disciple part they're having him play is grating and annoying. Sad part is he's could've been huge if they'd continued to build him as a hardcore wrestler.

I am not totally opposed to the Hogan rub that Abyss is getting. Though I wasn't the biggest Hulkamaniac in the world, I will rightfully acknowledge that he is the greatest hype man in the business at selling himself, and his brand....hands down, of all time! I think the HOF ring thing, and the red and yellow on Abyss' attire is hoakie and unnecessary, but you have to admit that his promos are good and there is now another layer in his character. I'm sure most wrestling fans see the parody of several characters that make up Abyss, it's never been a secret in fact; but something does need to give in where he goes when he's not sharing all of his segments w/Hulk. Does this push elevate his character enough to justify being a top guy? I don't know, but if he continues to give good/better promos his in ring work has always been decent enough (works well w/all size and style guys, sells and will sacrifice his own body for the show) to keep him there. Samoa Joe's return should be interesting as well. I imagine in a month or so someone will be posting a thread about this same subject for Abyss as Joe. But, that's for another day...

To the OP, no you're not the only one. A LOT of regular posters on the WZ forums, posters on the forums of other sites, wrestling journalists, etc. have pretty much panned what's been going on with Abyss and Hulk Hogan. As a character, Abyss has been pretty awful to watch for a long time now. It wasn't nearly as bad, however, because he wasn't being rammed down the throats of the viewers every other segment.

Abyss has done the neurotic 10 year old thing forever it seems and it's just awful. Having Hogan attempt to make him the center of TNA has only made a terrible character even worse. I'm sure that there are some that enjoy it, however, and that's all well and good. Some are die hard marks for Abyss or Hogan or both, some are still part of that hardcore fanbase of TNA's that hasn't stopped watching. For me, there have been times when watching Abyss has been every bit as bad as watching Hornswoggle.

i agree, abyss' character right now is absolutely terrible. i cannot stand watching him. i gave it a chance at first but it is so stupid. the red and yellow, the theme, the ring, my god it is so uninteresting. the only good thing i can see that could come out of this would be if hogan turned on abyss. in my opinion that would make abyss the top babyface in the company. it would be like survivor series 1998 when mcmahon turned on mankind.

there is not one reason why anybody would like AbyssMANIA, he's c****. Ever since Hogan came, TNA started sucking. Similar to WWE awhile ago. I always hated Hulk Hogan, now he's in TNA, he's definitely not giving TNA hire ratings. And if anything, TNA's ratings are dropping. I want TNA to get close to WWE, but it won't happen if Abyss is going to become the JOHN CENA of TNA. AJ Styles should be the mentor of Hulk Hogan, but not act like Hulk Hogan, just be an inspiring wrestler, Abyss is not even near to an inspiring wrestler. TNA needs to stop this whole AbyssMania thing, its getting really stupid and boring. Abyss was interesting a few years ago, now his gimmick is so stupid

I hate abyss, the whole thing with the HOF fame is stupid. Abyss can't be "the next john cena," nobody can. Abyss hasn't proven anything and he's annoying. Hulk Hogan though is trying to put him over like he was in the 80's or something.

I thought it was a horrible idea when I heard Hogan talking about it on BTLS radio show before it aired. He said on the next Impact you'll see the beginning of the next John Cena. When asked who he said Abyss everyone in the studio laughed as I did. He went on to say he would be a bigger star than even he was.

Now a couple of months later I don't see many people who thinks it's working. It would be one thing if he was just getting a rub from Hogan as manager of sorts. It's just silly how he's acting like Hogan yet still acts like a demented child.

Well, apparently he blogs. That might make me a fan.

He should get some pointers from JoJo the dogfaced journalist.

Big fan, big fan.

Granted, I've always disliked Abyss, but I managed. Lately, fuck it. There's no point in this. Ever since Abyss started talking he's lost all credibility. Someone on here referred to him as acting like a demented child and I agree whole-heartedly. The 20 minute promos to hype Abyss and Hogan are just sad. There's nothing left in Abyss. TNA killed their "Monster" when he started acting like a giant pussy, and then adding some stupid HOF Ring from a different company, which I HOPE, I HOPE very much is just a shot at WWE saying it's HOF is a joke. If not, TNA is going to die by Hogan since this is the stupidest angle I've ever seen (and I witnessed Fake Kane, Jesse Neal, Hornswoggle as Vince's son, and the hype for Kennedy's one night return).

If Hogan is trying to make Abyss "The Next John Cena" then he needs to get the fans to care about Abyss. Now the only ones that really care r the TNA marks, and the anti-WWE fans. Now im a tweener, i enjoy both products. but im probably a bigger TNA fan as of late. But i watch Impact and see Hogan and AJ and Flair and Abyss cutting promos. And i just dont get Abyss. He reminds me of Mankind. he has a mix of Undertaker or Kane. and now hogans adding some Yellow and Red. now what we got out there is a sadistic, hardcore, fan friendly, Hogan endorsed monster running wild. i think hes the odd man out in this main event scene. I think they should bring in joe instead of abyss. i care for Flair, i care for aj and his phenomenal proformences, i care for hogan, but i just dont really care about Abyss. I think Hogan needs to get me (somehow) to care about Abyss

am i the only one?

Abyss is a giant bore. He's a sloppy foley/kane hybrid. I thought I read somewhere(don't remember where) the plan is to turn this guy heel against Hogan. Which I'm assuming would set up Hogan trying to stop the monster he created. I doubt anyone will care. Bottom line is, Abyss isn't all that interesting. They tried to make him into a unstoppable machine by having him chokeslam A.J. thru the ring and everybody yawned. And to make matters worse, Jeff Jarrett is standing right there with Abyss. Those are the top faces? Pathetic.

I really couldn't care any less about Abyss if I tried. But, I'm not one of these Hogan-haters who has turned against Abyss as of late. I have never liked him. I have always thought he is a bigger Mick Foley, minus the talent. But Do I think he has gotten worse as of late? I wouldn't say worse, just more annoying.

And I think that has to do with the large amount of exposure he has been getting. As someone else said earlier, he has been rammed down our throats by Hogan and company. Why? Because this is the kind of guy Hogan believes draws. He believes in image over substance (look at Hogans own wrestling career). He thinks a guy like this can draw because he is stuck in an era where kayfabe absolutely ruled. Take the Abyss chokeslamming AJ through the ring segment. That would have worked...in 1990.

I'm an old school wrestling fan, but a lot of that stuff just seems cheesy today. It's been done far too often, so the shock value is gone. Now, it just comes off as a joke, and so does Abyss. As I said earlier, I have never been an Abyss fan. But now, I have actually begun to hate him. I really don't want to see him on tv. I don't want to see him have a gimmick change, or turn on Hogan, or whatever. I just....well, I just don't want to see him anymore, at all.

The Hogan/Abyss thing is just about the worst thing I've ever seen in wrestling. I've been watching since the early 80's people.
This is David Arquette, Gobbledy Gooker, and Giant Fucking Gonzales bad. If it got any worse Hogan would bring each and every fan into the ring make them lie down, and take a big steaming shit on their chests.
Y'all should know by now that I'm not a TNA fan. However I believe in giving them a fair shot, which I have been trying to do. This is making me NOT turn in. Too much Hogan. I just can't stand the fucker anymore.

If TNA really decides to push Abyss over Jeff Hardy and Rob Van Dam as the top faces coming out of Lockdown, they're absolutely ******ed.

Hardy and RVD are two of the biggest stars of the last decade: They should be front and center of everything, along with Angle as the top three faces in the company.

But Abyss? He's so far down the list to almost anyone that it isn't funny. Hardy, RVD, Angle, Pope, Samoa Joe, Jarrett, Lethal and a host of others are more exciting faces to me than stupid freaking Abyss. Hell, I like Rob Terry more than Abyss and he looks a lot more like a monster.

Hogan blew this one. When AJ is getting a great rub from Flair, Hulk is hyping up a Foley wannabe.

Put Abyss off TV and bring him back in a few months as a tag team with Foley. That's about his ceiling in my opinion.

Wouldn't gaining IWC hatred for being booked at a higher level than the smarks feel is deserved with a conglomeration of gimmicks that have been used before be the first step towards becoming the next John Cena?

I have never understood why everyone hates on Abyss. I can understand how people might not be crazy about what is currently going on with him but we have yet to see exactly where this is going. There are plenty of quite interesting ways they could take it. Why should people care about him? He is a big dude with plus mic skills that can work no worse than average with a variety of sizes. Those guys are not dime a dozen. Would he be my next John Cena? No, but that is no reason to pretend he sucks.

I guess I'm the only one here who is an authentic Abyss fan. I'd much rather have the current gimmick than the one from '08. Remember? Stuck in solitary confinement. Not wanting to use weapons. Dressed with an ugly ass mask and in prison-ware. Walking around like a ****** and whimpering every time he saw a weapon to use. Yeah, that one. At least this Abyss can cut a good promo. Hell, I'd be crazy enough to say that he has that (and amount of moves) over Cena. But thats just me being biased. You people are talking like Abyss is World Champion. No, thats AJ Styles. Like if he's in every segment. No, thats Hulk Hogan. He's a pretty straight forward character right now. A lot less complicated than back in '07-'08 when James Mitchel was his dad/dead/minster and Judas Messiah was his half-brother. Now he just has Hulk Hogans HOF ring and approval. Right now TNA's main event scene is practically empty. Joe is out. Kurt is playing the Michaels/Taker role and is soon to take time off. Sting is injured. Hardy and Van Dam are shaking mayor ring rust. Pope, Anderson, Eric Young and Desmond Wolfe are still in need of polishing. Who else do you go for? ABYSS! He has the most experience. He has a connection with the crowd. He's been in the main event scene before. He can work a decent match (I said decent not good). Why not choose Abyss to carry the main event scene while you develop the true main event talent? He's here on a temporary basis. Chances are that once all of the talent is ready he'll return to his Monster self. There is no way in hell Hulk Hogan can possibly picture Abyss on Late Night talk shows and making guest appearances. That would be funny as hell, but completely fictitious. Abyss may stay in the main event after all the other talent is ready, but in no way will he be the flag ship. Plus Hulk referred to him as "his John Cena". He never said in what aspect. For all we know, he may have said it as a rib to you. After all, you're all complaining about the same things that you would for Cena, aren't you? Lack of ring skills, shoved down on us, simplistic gimmick, hated by the IWC. Yup. thats pretty much John Cena in our eyes.

Abizz Only Knoz 4 Muvez!! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back