• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GImmicKS?

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
Ok, I've been looking at some things so here goes...I for one am sick of gimmick matches. Lets have a look at some thngs ey...this is just looking at Royal Rumble; Wrestlemania and Summerslam as survior series is traditionally a gimmick PPV.
1989;
Royal Rumble; Four matches; two gimmicks
Wrestlemania; Fourteen matches; one gimmick
Summerslam; Nine matches; zero gimmicks
Total; 11%

1999;

RR; Six matches; Three gimmicks
Wrestlemania; Ten matches; Six gimmicks
Summerslam; Nine matches; Five gimmicks
Total; 56%

2008;
RR; Five matches; One gimmick
Wrestlemania; Nine matches; Five gimmicks
Summerslam; Seven matches; Two gimmicks
Total; 38%

Why am I ranting? Lets look at the PPVs from now until Armageddon of last year;

Backlash; 7 matches; 3 gimmicks
Mania; 8 matches; 5 gimmicks
No Way Out; 5 matches; 3 gimmicks
Royal Rumble; 5 matches; 2 gimmicks
Armageddon; 7 matches; three gimmicks
Total; 32 matches; 16 gimmicks; 50 per cent gimmick.

So what is this a lot of numbers? Well the main thing to note is a peak in gimmick matches around about the attitude era...An increase in 41% in the 10 years before, with a steady decline. We all know wreestling has changed, we don't need gimmicks in and out, but this year gimmicks have increased once again.

Are gimmicks ruining wrestling? Have gimmicks become the norm?

To me a gimmick should be used at the end of a big feud, not the first match in a feud (a la matt and Jeff) gimmciks that were gimmicks back in the day are now the norm (triple threat) and if I see another last man standing match I will scream!

Well, I don't think we shouldn't have any gimmicks, but I don't think we should have that many. Today, we have too many gimmick matches, and it pisses people off. But, gimmick matches are good sometimes, and we need some gimmick matches, because most are fun to watch. I think we should have about half less gimmick matches, then people won't complain, and they won't get stale.

After a certain gimmick mach has been seen so many times it starts to lose its luster.
Hell ina cell used to mean something, now its just an oversized cage. Will they get on top and fight? Probably.
I believe that MITB, as entertaining as it is , has killed the ladder match.
After 20 minutes and 8 guys, can a one on one ladder match show you something you havent already seen.
The WWE is saturating us with these matches to the point that they dont seem as important as they used to.

Well of course the number of gimmick matches has increased over the years and so has the lust for action of the fans. Especially TNA is a company most known for gimmick matches because these matches are drawing the attention it´s like Eric Bishoff once said : "I´m gonna make a loud noise over there and the people are gonna turn around and think hey I like that ". But TNA and also the WWE have set the bar for themselves by having people have a special match like TNA´s Abyss has the thumbtack and hardcore matches and the WWE´s Hardyz have the ladder matches. Also the fact that they build up PPVs around a special type of gimmick match like TNA´s Lockdown so it´s only natural that the number of gimmick stuff is drastically increasing and maybe we´re going to have nothing but reverse battle royals and 6 man championship tag matches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back