• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Getting over: Antonio Cesaro

RicSpade

Mr. All-in
Ok so we have went on for a while, and while Antonio Cesaro has looked impressive, he is not getting over as a heel, honestly while atheletic he has turned into the bathroom break of my WWE experience recently. But I just came up with this great idea to get him over, and while were rehashing old ideas, think of how great it would be. Everyone who watched WCW in the mid 90's remembers Lance Storm and team Canada. When Storm, Duggan, Skipper took all the championships and renamed them after Canadian things. Including the United States Championship becoming the Canadian championship. Now why am I thinking this. Simple WWE already had a championship good for the Swiss man, The European Championship. What better way then to deface the US title on national TV, and replace it with the defunct European Championship and Championship to him that will matter. Its classic, and it would build a reputation for Antonio.

What are your thoughts...

Honestly Cesaro has all the tools to be a huge player. But his "Very Eurpoean" gimmick isn't as effective as it could be. I like your idea. Let him replace the plate of the belt with the Swiss Flag, or A map of Europe. He's really got to play to the strengths of the gimmick and call out someone who represents the USA.

He just needs the right name.

Ideally WWE would have Kurt Angle, as the matches between those two would be gold and Cesaro could rip apart all America stands for. Unfortunately this isn't possible and I don't think Jack Swagger would have the same effect as he's been driven into obscurity and mediocrity.

He could continue his feud with Brodus and make fun of Brodus being overweight and call out the negative connection between Americans and Obesity. But that still doesn't have a major feel.

There's always the Hacksaw Jim Duggan Route. President's Day or The Fourth of July. Have Cesaro sneak attack Duggan. Either culminating in a match between the two or someone coming to his defense. This could be a cool way of gaining Cesaro heat and possibly debuting a guy like Kassius Ohno.

I know their history as tag team partners but this could be awesome. Have him deface the belt. Hacksaw stand up to him. Get his ass kicked by Cesaro and an Ohno makes the save, claiming he's seen enough of Cesaro's antics and he could say "Let me show the very European Jackass how America does things.... I'm going to knock you out!"

Instant pop for Ohno and could lead to an ultimate "Kings of Wrestling" debut

Honestly Cesaro has all the tools to be a huge player. But his "Very Eurpoean" gimmick isn't as effective as it could be. I like your idea. Let him replace the plate of the belt with the Swiss Flag, or A map of Europe. He's really got to play to the strengths of the gimmick and call out someone who represents the USA.

He just needs the right name.

Ideally WWE would have Kurt Angle, as the matches between those two would be gold and Cesaro could rip apart all America stands for. Unfortunately this isn't possible and I don't think Jack Swagger would have the same effect as he's been driven into obscurity and mediocrity.

He could continue his feud with Brodus and make fun of Brodus being overweight and call out the negative connection between Americans and Obesity. But that still doesn't have a major feel.

There's always the Hacksaw Jim Duggan Route. President's Day or The Fourth of July. Have Cesaro sneak attack Duggan. Either culminating in a match between the two or someone coming to his defense. This could be a cool way of gaining Cesaro heat and possibly debuting a guy like Kassius Ohno.

I know their history as tag team partners but this could be awesome. Have him deface the belt. Hacksaw stand up to him. Get his ass kicked by Cesaro and an Ohno makes the save, claiming he's seen enough of Cesaro's antics and he could say "Let me show the very European Jackass how America does things.... I'm going to knock you out!"

Instant pop for Ohno and could lead to an ultimate "Kings of Wrestling" debut
"instant pop"? Why?

Pet peeve, when you're fantasy booking, don't say "instant pop" because you can't script that. Honestly, not a bad idea, but Kassius Ohno doesn't sound like an American hero. He'd be better (as Hero is) as a heel who is on Cesaro's side.

Cesaro is fine, just needs time to build. Kassius could be a good wrinkle to throw in with him. This isn't a "ZOMG ERBODY KNOWS TEH ARE OH AITCH AND WOULD LOOOVE IT" this is me saying that these guys are legitimately awesome and could both benefit from working off each other.

It's an idea worth looking into, although I would only bring it back temporarily. Cesaro can replace the United States Championship with the European Championship to help get him some more heel heat by declaring that the title itself was no longer good enough and this one makes more sense. He can then keep bragging in each of his languages and keep repeating his point about how no American will ever defeat him. I would not mind seeing this happen.... As long as the European Championship does not permanently replace the United States Championship. Cesaro brings it back as a temporary replacement to get him more heel heat from the fans.

Later down the line we reach the point where an American does defeat him, eventually, and brings back the United States Championship. While it might make some of the older fans happy to see the European Championship again, it belongs in the past. The United States Championship is more relevant and should still be used. It wouldn't hurt to run an angle with Cesaro temporarily bringing that belt back during his reign though. It would fit great with his character and could get some heel heat for him as well as crowd support for any American face who challenges him.

The thing that would most help Cesaro is to learn to work a crowd. I'm not taking away from in technical and in ring ability. He is great in those regards. The issue that he, and many of the guys who are indy superstars have, is that the WWE is a totally different beast. On the indy circuit and in smaller promotions like ROH, the crowds are typically different. ROH caters to a crowd that appreciates a more technical style, as opposed to sports entertainment and story telling. Mic work isn't as important. Also the WWE isn't just about knowing a bunch of moves, it is about knowing when to perform those moves, which helps guys get over. He is getting better, but until he learns to work a WWE crowd he will be stuck in his rut. Plus the anti-US gimmick can only carry you so far these days.

In response to "TWJC: The Beginning" I believe Ohno would get a fairly big pop for coming to the defense of the United States. I know that many fans who follow wrestling outside of WWE and TNA would know Ohno as Hero, and I agree there exists many more fans who don't and wouldn't care about him. But if he's defending America I could see him getting a sincere reaction. I just imagine USA chants erupting and while it might be a cheap pop, it would likely get a reaction from your everyday fan.

Maybe "pop" wasn't the right choice of words. But I hope you see my point. I see what you're saying about him not fitting the bill as an "American Hero", but that angle could be an interesting way to have two awesome talents feud and produce some quality matches.

I like Ohno coming in but like someone else said he plays a heel so well. His work in NXT has been nothing short of brilliant, and I would love to see him and Cesaro teaming again.

The WWE has a lot of time to build Cesaro and hopefully the planned feud with Captain Charisma helps him grow. I think the changing of the belts would be a great move because it would not only generate heat for Cesaro, but it would also make his eventual lose much more meaningful, if it was an American style gimmick who beat him.

A returning Swagger is the obvious choice, and if I were to book that it would involve another American, Derrick Bateman. If you havent watched his promos on youtube I suggest you do, because they are hysterical; however, i can't see him debuting on the main roster and beating Cesaro. If he comes in and feuds with him and puts up a fight, can get over with the crowd (which i think he can), his rescue could be a great way to re-debut Swagger.

I think the issue is, and I see it with both heels and faces, is that in order to get over you have to be facing a guy who is also over. If Cesaro beat the crap out of JTG no one would boo him because no one cares about JTG. Now if, after a medium length program and Bateman enduring himself to the crowd, if Cesaro was mauling him people would boo, but not only would people boo, but people would POP! for Swagger if he were to run out and save his fellow compatriot.

I'm not sure where Cesaro is going, but I think he will definitely be a big star in the future. Not sure how WWE will play it, but you have my 2 cents

I think he's on the right track already, but they should have him attempt to burn the American Flag, have him gloat about it the whole show up until the actual burning then have an American Babyface whos already somewhat already over(Cena would be Ideal) come to the save the flag at the last second, starting obviously some kind of feud between the two. sort of like what they did with the Un-American's stable back in the early 2000's.

You aren't the first to come up with this idea and certainly wont be the last. I'm a big fan of Cesaro. I think he has a good look as well as athletic ability to back it up. I feel like now days the fans are a lot pickier. It takes a lot more for superstars to get a reaction. I think the idea of him bringing in the European Championship would improve his reaction, but i don't think it would quite get him there on that alone. Although it definitely wouldn't be PG, i say you let him cut brutally harsh promos on America. I'm not talking about the typical Americans are fat and lazy promos, i mean hit the fans hard. He could talk about how bad off Americans are financially, how we are the most hated country in the world, talk about crime rates, talk about teen pregnancy and abortion rates, etc. I feel like there is nothing wrong with his gimmick, but it definitely needs to be turned up a notch. Add these promos along with the bringing in of the European Championship i think you have gold. The main thing is they would have to let him hold the title until at least Wrestlemania. This would allow him to continue to get more and more heat.

The problem is much like Lord Tensai his gimmick is still stuck in the 80s. Nobody takes the whole "USA hawwwwk `tooey" routine seriously anymore. It's cheap heat that's just barely above the heels insulting the local sports teams. Anybody can do it and that's the problem, it's been done to death. Burn flags? Bringing back the European title, it's corny. It's right up there with every lame college kid who thinks wearing a Che Guevara shirt he bought at hot topic is rebellious.

If I were booking Cesaro's Road to WrestleMania now I would have him face off with R-Truth again at Royal Rumble and continue to say "No American could ever beat me for the United States championship." until Swagger returns (he probably will return in the Rumble...) and then they feud with Cesaro getting a cheap win at Elimination Chamber. Then at WrestleMania in an interview Cesaro says "No American could ever be defeat me for the United States championship and after tonight, they never will." he could then low-blow Swagger just when it looks like Swaggers going to win and retain the title by DQ in front of nearly a hundred thousand angry Americans. That would set up to him reintroducing the EU Title as a temporary prop until Swagger either beats him and reinstates the US title or they have a unification match.

^That's how I've imagined it working as of late anyway.

Try giving him a lengthy feud with a legitimate contender. It'll probably help.

R-Truth was never going to threaten his reign. Nor was Santino before him. They obviously have faith in Claudio due to the manner of his push, but the problem is nobody is invested in him because nobody is invested in what hes doing. Last night when he picked up the microphone I though for a moment, just a split second that someones music was going to hit, that someone I feel should be Christian.

Not only is Christian a legitimate contender but just returning from healing several niggling injuries people would have a vested interest in him more-so than if he'd just stuck around. Christian can work a good match with anybody, Cesaro can too, put them together a couple times and see what happens. But unless they can give fans something to bite into and savor, Antonio Cesaro is going to continue being an underachieving midcard heel and it pains me to say that because I love Claudio Castagnoli's indy work.

I think you're wrong. 100% wrong. I think Cesaro is indeed, getting over as a heel. He's absolutely excellent in the ring. I do hate his finisher though. Renaming a championship isn't automatically an iconic thing or something you'll always remember. Lance Storm and Team Canada was very forgettable. Just because you remember something doesn't mean its unforgettable. I remember when Jack Swagger won the WHC. Does that mean Swagger was iconic and memorable as WHC? No. Not even close. In YOUR opinion he's not getting over. In MY opinion, he's getting over. And I couldn't care less about the guy.

I think Cesaro will drop the whole "America sucks"-gimmick eventually and move on to better things.
As for him not getting over, that's neither surprising nor a reason to worry. It's his rookie year, for crying out loud. Plus he is not so much a flashy gimmick but rather a solid grounded technician. Those tend to have a longer way to the top. They take a lot longer to get over, but when they do, they stay over. Steve Austin was that sort.

Antonio Cesaro gets a lot of credit because of his in-ring work, and he deserves every bit of him. I for once am a great fan of his old-school brawler and more European style, not only does it fit with his character, but also with his looks. However some want to blame the gimmick for being over played and while you can be right at some extent, that doesn't mean that a talented individual couldn't do it with excellence, so here I am going to talk about what I really dislike in him and the reason I think he's not going to surpass midcard in the near future:

He is too forced on his promos, he is too forced on his facial expressions and he can not express what he should feel. His sarcastic smile that he usually delivers is just so fake that makes me in pain to see a talented guy like him doing such a poor job, I hate every pause he makes after saying a word and the same tone of voice over and over, he can't express anger or frustration, even when he is angry or frustrated, it all looks the same.

I admitted that he's fantastic in the ring, but his six month reign as the United States Championship is just being dragged and dragged, he wasn't ready for the title in the first place I have to tell you, the title match was like his 6th match on television, he was forced down our throats and the way he's protected and the way he's having ridiculous filler feuds makes me remember Drew McIntyre's run as The Chosen One, so I say that Cesaro is having the McIntyre effect, he can blame the creative team all he wants, but the fact that he doesn't get the crowd care about him, should be a note for what could happen to him in the future even though he's an internet darling thanks to his indy work. For me he isn't working, not because of his gimmick but because of himself really.

I like Cesaro, to those saying he's stuck in a rut, he's only been in wwe since 2011. He's a relative newcomer and still finding his character and the right qualities to get himself over. Why rush these things? He's slowly working his way up the card by beating Santino and R-Truth which should lead to bigger, better opposition. He still needs to improve his mic work and story telling but these things come with time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back