• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Getting Drafted Out of High School- Where Do You Go Afterwards?

The Insano Shiekh

Certified Mother Lover
As we know, most sports prodigies who later go on to become major stars in major sports are usually drafted into the major scene after high school. But, even though they can have a successful career in a sport, they won't play for the rest of their lives. My question is- when you do retire from the sport and want an actual career (ex: Business, Salesman, Marketing), how are you going to make a successful product with no college degree? I believe that all sports stars should go to college regardless. Your thoughts?

Well in my opinion every league should have a standard rule saying no athlete can be drafted right out of High-school (I believe only the NBA allows this, Correct me if I'm wrong), and that a player should have to go to College for at least 2 years (In American Sports). But that wasn't the question.

As for your question on what happens after, if a player is good enough to have Pro Sports team select him right out of High School, you wanna bet he wont get endorsement deals? Kobe Bryant was drafted right after High School and I don't think it'll be too hard for him to make money after. Most guys who are good enough to make it right out of High School make so much money and endorsements in there career, they either A) Wont need another job, or B) Will get TV Endorsements due to how good they were.

Well in my opinion every league should have a standard rule saying no athlete can be drafted right out of High-school (I believe only the NBA allows this, Correct me if I'm wrong), and that a player should have to go to College for at least 2 years (In American Sports). But that wasn't the question.

NBA no longer allows this. You need at least one year out before you can play there. Which doesn't really help the issue, as a lot of guys just go to college for one year and leave, never intending on getting a degree.

Baseball players can get drafted out of high school, but I believe if they don't sign they have to stay in school for at least 3 years or something?

Football players need to stay in school for 3 years before going pro.

The way I look at it, if an athlete wants to go pro right out of high school and they're good enough, they should be allowed to. Who's to tell them they have to wait to make millions of dollars a year? Like I said, most of them don't even bother going for the degree anyway, that's why you see all the NCAA rules violations.

They can always wait till later to go back to college, plenty of NBA guys do this over the summer. Remember Vince Carter? A lot of guys will get oppurtunites to stay in the sport through coaching, scouting, a TV job, etc.

Obviously an education is important, but if you were a super talented high school athlete, wouldn't you want to make as much money as you could while it's there and then learn about the other stuff later? I know I would.

LULZ as if it fucking MATTERS what you do and if you have a degree after being a multi million dollar athlete, if you dont blow your money like a fuckass. Go be a manager at blockbuster video, or an alligator rancher or something. Or nothing, becuase hey, you are retired, and pro sports leagues have retirment packages.

No one should be forced to do anything. Its a mockery of the educational system to force them to go, and takes up a spot for some kid who might be smarter, and WANT badly to be there, and has to miss out becuase someone else who DOESNT want to be there can run faster and jump higher.

Fuck that. Let them go pro if they are good enough.

It shouldn't really matter. If an 18 year old kid wants to get fucked up by 30 year olds on the grid iron for a couple million dollars, let him.

To answer your question: you can always go get your degree after your contract ends or you retire. Either that or do as the Undertaker plans: go into real estate. You don't need a college degree and you work on commission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back